Cincinnati: Bars / Nightlife News

I went to Adonis last weekend (go there about once a year) and honestly, it was kind of flat.

I was there on Saturday night, around 11 PM or maybe a bit later.  Could be nice if they had a crowd.  I went there to dance, and it seemed the only dancers were this bachelorette party or something.  Hmph.  Ended up at The Serpent...again.

I remember The Dock from years and years ago.  It had a deliciously rustbelt/gritty location amid side tracks, scrapyards and freight/warehouse operations, directly under that railroad bridge across the Ohio.  So you sat in their patio with diesels pulling slow freights across the brige, a few stories directly overhead.  Great Stuff! (esp if you are gay AND a railfan). 

Not sure if this is still in the same location....I though they did a lot of demo/construction down there for the stadiums.  I might hit the Dock this Friday night as I will be back in Cincy, but overnight this time.

• 2 weeks later...

here is what's going into the old Lodge space...

PLAY venue coming to 7th street

"Seth Wiener, the owner of several local entertainment businesses, will open a live music venue in the 6,700-square-foot space formerly occupied by Lodge Bar on Seventh Street. Lodge closed earlier this year after about four years in business."

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/developingnow/2011/10/14/play-venue-coming-to-7th-street/

• 3 weeks later...

Blue Wisp owners plan move to former Redfish

The Blue Wisp Jazz Club's co-owner said Tuesday that the club has signed a longterm lease with Towne Properties to move to a new location at Seventh and Race streets, Downtown.

The iconic jazz club will be moving about five blocks from its current location on East Eighth Street to the space that formerly housed Redfish restaurant. The space, which is 7,100 square feet in two rooms, has housed Sully's and Bagpipes Irish Pub since Redfish closed in 2006.

The lease begins on Jan. 1. Plans are in the works to staff the kitchen, build a stage and renovate the rooms, and the club's owners hope to be ready to move in by then, co-owner Ed Felson said on Tuesday.

"Obviously the big thing is financing, and how much and when," Felson said.

Cont

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

The only thing that sucks about this move is that the building is going to be razed for parking. :(

That location is a really crappy single story building that was once a mobile phone store with an all glass facade.  No too much of a loss in my book.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

Last week, some people from my company came in from out of town and on Thursday night we spent some time in OTR.  We went to Neon's, Japp's, and MOTR and everyone seemed impressed.  The only problem was when some of the guys decided they were hungry and we tried to find food within walking distance.  A little after 9 p.m., I was surprised to find that Joe's Diner was closed, and MOTR and Senate had already closed their kitchens. We ended up at A Tavala, which everyone seemed to like. Still, we need OTR to get to the point where more dining options are available past 9 p.m. on weeknights.

Last week, some people from my company came in from out of town and on Thursday night we spent some time in OTR.  We went to Neon's, Japp's, and MOTR and everyone seemed impressed.  The only problem was when some of the guys decided they were hungry and we tried to find food within walking distance.  A little after 9 p.m., I was surprised to find that Joe's Diner was closed, and MOTR and Senate had already closed their kitchens. We ended up at A Tavala, which everyone seemed to like. Still, we need OTR to get to the point where more dining options are available past 9 p.m. on weeknights.

I believe the entertainment district they are trying to set up in OTR will improve late night dining options since more restaurants will have liquor licenses and therefore have the high margin alcohol sales making it worth staying open later.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another attempt in this space. I feel other new developments are needed in the area in order for this location to succeed.

Bar/live music venue Whisky Bar to open downtown

A new bar and live music venue is set to open next month in the former Fat Cats Dueling Piano Bar space at 537 E. Pete Rose Way.

Bill Marx, who is opening Whisky Bar with business partner Eli Reeher, said it will have a laid-back feel, with more than 40 types of whiskey, whisky cocktails and a “Whisky Hall of Fame,” with photos and quotes from famous whisky drinkers such as Mark Twain and Winston Churchill, adding to the whisky theme.

The bar will host both national and local acts, including top 40, 80′s rock cover bands and acoustic sets.

Cont

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Guest jmecklenborg

I am reminded of that Seinfeld line where he was like "wherever you live, what is it with that one location where no business lasts more than 8 months?  It's a frame shop, then it's a deli, then it's it's a Vietnamese nail place...".

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed. This was posted on Southgate House's Facebook page:

We are sad to announce that after 30 years in continuous operation as a music venue under the ownership and operation of Ross Raleigh, the Southgate House will host its last show on New Years Eve, Dec. 31 2011.

We look forward to opening our business in a new location soon.

Thank you for the wonderful memories and your support.

Southgate House Closing

NEWPORT -The Southgate House, the historic Newport mansion-turned-music club that has been hailed as one of the best concert venues in the country, will shut its doors after New Year’s Eve, its owners announced Monday.

Owned by Ross Raleigh since 1976, the Southgate House is known for its diverse array of acts, encompassing alternative rock, punk, metal, country, blues, bluegrass and folk.

Cont

And then there is this:

Southgate House Planning New Location?

I know the news of our beloved Southgate House closing is still very fresh in your minds, and mine too, but I want to provide a theory about its future. Please keep in mind this has not been confirmed to me, but makes perfect sense given the circumstances.

I believe that the Southgate House plans to re-locate across the street in the old IMAX space at Newport On The Levee. A source confirmed to me tonight that the space is being renovated into a live music space. I’m told it will be renovated into a space to seat 1000. Now, remember this is just a theory and could easily be wrong, but then I re-read the press release and it just made sense.

Cont

So, according to various news stories, the business owners of "Southgate House (the venue)" are interested in re-opening it at a new location.

Simultaneously, the owners of "Southgate House (the house)" have plans to renovate the building and re-open it as a music venue.

So we may end up with "Southgate House (the venue) (not actually located in the Southgate House)" and "New Southgate House (not affiliated with Southgate House)".

Also, the building owners stated that they're not sure whether the Southgate House name would stay with the house or move with the existing business.

• 3 months later...

Simon Says on Walnut between 4th and 5th has expanded into the space next door.  They have removed some of the wall between the two spaces and the additional space appears to be a dance floor.

The old Eye Mart corner location at 7th and Walnut has the windows papered over, has different types of balls (baseball, basketball, etc...) window clinged in front of the paper, has a large lower-case "b" next to the door, and the door itself says something to the affect of "bouncing here soon".  Anyone have any idea what this is going to be?

^There was an article not too long ago that mentioned that the space was becoming an 'upscale sports bar', or something along those lines.  If I remember correctly, I think it's going to be two floors and they were going to install a news ticker type of thing displaying sports scores on the outside of the building.  Not sure where that article is posted, but I bet it's on UO somewhere.

^There was an article not too long ago that mentioned that the space was becoming an 'upscale sports bar', or something along those lines.  If I remember correctly, I think it's going to be two floors and they were going to install a news ticker type of thing displaying sports scores on the outside of the building.  Not sure where that article is posted, but I bet it's on UO somewhere.

It's here: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,1769.msg572024.html#msg572024

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Dueling piano bar to open Friday downtown

Posted by lbaverman November 8th, 2010, 3:39 pm

The Penguin Dueling Piano Bar will open for business Friday night in the old Havana Martini space at Carew Tower.

The Lexington-based operator signed a lease for the 5,150-square-foot space upon Havana’s closure in June. The group has spent the last couple months under renovation. It has moved the club’s entrance west on Fifth Street, removed its tinted windows, added hardwood flooring and a new bar top.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/developingnow/2010/11/08/dueling-piano-bar-to-open-friday-downtown/

Per the Enquirer, this place has closed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jmecklenborg

The second-oldest bar in Cincinnati was Mahtekewah Hall, on 8th St. next to the viaduct.  The building is the only one still standing in the whole area, but the bar closed around 2003.  I went in there once and it had a tin roof and was fairly cool, but not exotic like Arnold's courtyard. 

Other old bars either are thrown together or they have some sort of motif.  Good examples of thrown-together are the Dunlap Cafe and Fries in Clifton.  Meanwhile The Greenwhich has an uproariously outdated motif, with Eqyptian busts and an old-but-not cool fish tank, loaded very old looking gold fish.  It's also the place that keeps this mylar curtain somewhere on the premises for the sole purpose of serving as city council debate backdrops:

Guest jmecklenborg

Oh, and my grandfather lived on Bishop St. in the 1940s and claims that he went to Fries all the time.  Unfortunately the place has an obnoxious group of afternoon regulars who lord over the place until about 8pm EVERY NIGHT OF THE WEEK. 

The Buzzfeed list included a bar in NOLA, LaFitte's or something.

The exterior was kinda cool, they use some weird brick & beam structure, but the interior was cobbled 80s college bar. The service was "^$%* you, you're on Bourbon St, we don't expect you to come back"

• 2 months later...

Level Nightlife opening above Vyrsd, Downtown

Shauna Steigerwald

The owners of Vyrsd, the Downtown bar that opened at 435 Elm St. in January, are opening a new night spot upstairs.

Level Nightlife, which will be open Friday and Saturday nights only, will have a soft opening this weekend and a grand opening April 4-5.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/newintown/2014/03/28/new-nightspot-level-opening-above-vyrsd-downtown/7016905/

I wonder how long/short these will last in that spot. It's just not conducive to a solid nightlife scene yet. I think as more people move into new developments on that side of town that spot will do fine, but right now it's such a strange place to want to go to.

• 1 month later...

Novel downtown ‘listening room’ asks guests to turn off phones, turn on to music

Andy Brownfield Reporter- Cincinnati Business Courier

There’s a lot of charm to working in the ground floor of the old Shillito’s building in downtown Cincinnati. We’re greeted every day by beautiful old Art Deco architecture, the big windows give us a birds-eye view of some of downtown’s quirkier characters in the wig corridor and we have access to the second-floor plaza, where there’s a fountain that’s pretty neat to eat lunch or nap in front of.

Also on the second floor is the mysterious Club Room. In nearly a year working here, I’ve never seen anyone use it. Though it is adjacent to a semi-private bathroom that us first-floor residents aren’t allowed to use.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2014/05/novel-downtown-listening-room-asks-guests-to-turn.html

• 4 months later...

EXCLUSIVE: Second rooftop terrace coming to downtown Cincinnati hotel

Oct 6, 2014, 1:40pm EDT

Tom Demeropolis and Steve Watkins Cincinnati Business Courier

Top of the Park, the rooftop terrace at the Marriott Residence Inn Cincinnati Downtown at the Phelps, has been so popular that an expansion is in the works.

Eagle Realty Group, the real estate arm of Western & Southern Financial Group, and Winegardner & Hammons Inc., which manages the 134-suite hotel, are working on an expansion that will nearly double the amount of rooftop event space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2014/10/06/exclusive-second-rooftop-terrace-coming-to.html

• 3 weeks later...

Bourbon bar to open next to Nicholson's Pub

Campbell's Scoop

Polly Campbell, [email protected] 5:01 p.m. EDT October 21, 2014

Nick Sanders, CEO of The Tavern Group, owner of Nicholson's Pub, has had a long love affair with Scotland and its whisky.

That doesn't mean he doesn't like American whiskey. He's opening a bar Downtown, next door to Nicholson's, that will showcase bourbon.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/campbellsscoop/2014/10/21/horse-and-barrel-nicholsons-nick-sanders/17676079/

Bourbon bar to open next to Nicholson's Pub

Campbell's Scoop

Polly Campbell, [email protected] 5:01 p.m. EDT October 21, 2014

Nick Sanders, CEO of The Tavern Group, owner of Nicholson's Pub, has had a long love affair with Scotland and its whisky.

That doesn't mean he doesn't like American whiskey. He's opening a bar Downtown, next door to Nicholson's, that will showcase bourbon.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/campbellsscoop/2014/10/21/horse-and-barrel-nicholsons-nick-sanders/17676079/

Fills in a glaring gap in one of the city's most active nightlife districts (also along the streetcar line too!)

Guest jmecklenborg

I noticed that the Mad Frog was closed on Saturday night.  Obviously pretty unusual for a bar of any kind to be closed on a Saturday.  It was also closed on Sunday night...last year at this time they were attracting a rough crowd every Sunday night with a line up the hill. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jmecklenborg

The Mad Frog was closed again last weekend on Saturday and Sunday night.  I'll try and remember to drive by this weekend.