Guest McCleveland

Cleveland: Downtown: May Company Building

RISK OF CLOSURE

I'm so glad they are going with white lighting. The colored LEDs were nice when it was just a few buildings being lit up with them, but now it seems just about every other building downtown is completely illuminated with multicolor LEDs - its just looking too busy now in my opinion. White lighting like this will bring more attention to the details of the building, instead of covering them up with color.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, surfohio said:

Would anyone else like to see those huge razor signs make a comeback downtown? I think a new vertical May Co. sign would look amazing. For whatever reason historic credits don't seem to apply to vintage signage. 

signage.JPG

I'm definitely a fan of razor signs, and rooftop signs, as well.  That particular one, however.....

9 hours ago, surfohio said:

For whatever reason historic credits don't seem to apply to vintage signage. 

signage.JPG

Signage isn’t required because it doesn’t make sense to require signage for a private brand that is no longer present at the location. Imagine if May Co was still around but abandoned downtown Cleveland. Requiring their signage not only wouldn’t make sense, it would cause confusion that they actually did have a store there. 

I love how they have restored this historic building. The exterior lighting will only enhance the details.  I would love to see if the canopy could be restored back to it's 1954 photograph. The underside appears to have been white. It would help to soften it's menacing appearance I couldn't tell from the planning commission's submission what is entailed rather than implementing signage

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 9.35.49 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Preleasing was supposed to start this month, but I haven’t heard a thing.  I don’t believe a website is even up yet?

5 minutes ago, GISguy said:

IMG_20200129_124248720_HDR.jpg

I love the view from this angle.....what they have done to this building is nothing short of phenomenal!!

• Like 10

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

14 minutes ago, KJP said:

Great pic, @KJP. And what’s interesting is that it looks like they might have used the white terra-cotta to clad the atrium, matching the street facing facades. If so, that’s fantastic attention to detail on a feature that certainly could have been value engineered! 

Edited by brtshrcegr
  • Like 2

This topic is being closely monitored by admins and mods and it will be locked if rules are not being followed!