Guest McCleveland

Cleveland: Downtown: May Company Building

RISK OF CLOSURE

1 hour ago, Htsguy said:

I wonder if that rendering of the rooftop addresses our discussion a few days ago regarding the grey planters lined up on Prospect.  Somebody did suggest they were for the roof and (thank god) not the sidewalk.

It was only wishful thinking. My fingers are crossed that's their purpose.

I’m having trouble uploading pics, but they are installing windows/doors on the Prospect side... they are the big accordion doors that open all the way.  Perhaps a restaurant is going in??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mack34 said:

I’m having trouble uploading pics, but they are installing windows/doors on the Prospect side... they are the big accordion doors that open all the way.  Perhaps a restaurant is going in??

😮

29 minutes ago, mack34 said:

Thats the parking garage entrance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Larry1962 said:

Nope.  Its not.  Its framed in door ways with accordian glass door.  Theyre already installed.  

15 hours ago, mack34 said:

14 hours ago, Larry1962 said:

1 hour ago, mack34 said:

Nope.  Its not.  Its framed in door ways with accordian glass door.  Theyre already installed.  

Do they look like the accordion door garage entrances shown in these renderings? The way you are describing it sounds like these images. 

On 5/22/2018 at 2:48 PM, Mendo said:

308 units total, with half being 2 or 3 bedroom. 519 parking spaces in the basement and floors 2-5 behind apartments lining the exterior. With an atrium cut into the center to provide windows for interior units on floors 6-9. Interestingly, the first picture highlights the garage at the corner as "future mixed-used". I wonder what's being planned there.

May_Company_IMG_02.jpg

May_Company_IMG_11.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Kudos to Bedrock on this. Every detail I see makes it look better and better. If we have to have garage doors, its nice that they don't at least LOOK like garage doors. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PoshSteve said:

Kudos to Bedrock on this. Every detail I see makes it look better and better. If we have to have garage doors, its nice that they don't at least LOOK like garage doors. 

Well, every detail except the stupid pedestrian bridge over Ontario to connect the Higbee building to the new May Co garage. 

But yes, all the other details have been tremendous. These garage doors in particular - not just restoring old beauty, but being creative in hiding a modern amenity that is often so ugly. 

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

Well, every detail except the stupid pedestrian bridge over Ontario to connect the Higbee building to the new May Co garage. 

But yes, all the other details have been tremendous. These garage doors in particular - not just restoring old beauty, but being creative in hiding a modern amenity that is often so ugly. 

...the "second" stupid pedestrian bridge...

1 hour ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

At least Kerry FREAKING McCormack is looking out for good urbanism. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, PoshSteve said:

This could very well have little to do with Bedrock, and everything to do with meeting the Secretary of Interior's Standards for the historic tax credits. So thank your State Historic Preservation Office and National Park Service.

• Like 2

I'd say it was Bedrock being classy given they did not cheap out and use fiberglass to replace the terracotta (when they could have).   

Edited by newyorker
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, newyorker said:

I'd say it was Bedrock being classy given they did not cheap out and use fiberglass to replace the terracotta (when they could have).   

Agreed. 

While the pedestrian bridges and Ontario's blank walls are a poor indication of its potential, Bedrock has done a great job of using high quality materials for its projects. They just need to better integrate their projects into the streetscapes.

• Like 1

My understanding is the streetscape will be a significant improvement.  It is why the city allowed the second bridge.  

• Like 2

The facade is so much cleaner and brighter than my eyes have ever seen it, that that photo looks like a rendering. Just incredible.

• Like 9

it looks better now than when it was actually open as a department store!

Edited by newyorker
  • Like 2

Was riding my bike around town (happy bike month!) and also happened to get a tripod/had that with me and did a long exposure about two seconds before it started to pour. Long story short, here's another photo.

(ps @MayDay are we still at threat of a lockdown? hah jokes aside, hope you're well!)

IMG_4821-001.JPG

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 11
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2020 at 6:20 PM, mack34 said:

And now prospect side.... looks like new planters have arrived 

37DD1F15-08FA-40A8-9C3E-1C160E2226C8.jpeg

So I'm having trouble uploading pics, but the planters seem to be staying on the sidewalk.  All are put in position and are getting ornamental trees and grasses installed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, mack34 said:

So I'm having trouble uploading pics, but the planters seem to be staying on the sidewalk.  All are put in position and are getting ornamental trees and grasses installed.

Maybe they're getting them prepped...then putting them on the rooftop? lol I'm holding onto some sort of hope....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrclifton88 said:

I have a feeling they wouldn't make them heavier to get them onto the roof 😁 sorry!

party sparkle GIF by Cassie Dasilva

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, mack34 said:

Soon to be followed by the ornamental cigarette butts and fast food wrappers.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That part of Prospect has been so dreary and ugly for so long, they may actually liven and brighten the streetscape. As long as they have someone regularly cleaning, and I assume they will, they should be ok.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 1

Maybe they're supposed to act like speed-bumps for the folks who drive their bird scooters 45 miles per hour down the Prospect sidewalk.

Most likely the planters are there because there are underground utilities keeping them from planting street trees.  But those definitely take up too much of the sidewalk.

This topic is being closely monitored by admins and mods and it will be locked if rules are not being followed!