Jump to content
Guest McCleveland

Cleveland: Downtown: May Company Building

RISK OF CLOSURE

Recommended Posts

On 9/6/2019 at 8:51 PM, mack34 said:

Lighting on south side of building is getting set up!

C8FDFF1E-44DC-4D89-8FE7-F3DBBBA85184.jpeg

F5BB155A-9E9E-4FEC-B111-442DD0005D98.jpeg

It's been decades since i've seen this part of May Co illuminated.  I can't wait to see this project completed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait until you see the new interior courtyard! I'm told it's pretty amazing. It means every apartment will have an outdoor-facing window.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^And it will especially HELP THE PROSPECT SIDE with so much extra activity and just make this whole area really ALIVE AGAIN!!

And from what I understand there will also be a rooftop restaurant on the Prospect side of the building.

 

And maybe it will also encourage the redevelopment of the three historical buildings across PROSPECT too!

Edited by Larry1962
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed!

While it has improved from the 70s-80s, lower Prospect used to be a really "seedy" area; especially at night. Any redevelopment and increase in foot traffic, will only benefit the area. That would  include May Company and the Nucleus development.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is in the upper floors of the  building on Ontario and S. Roadway, adjacent to May Co., that houses Jake's Pizza on street-level?  Are they offices or apartments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frmr CLEder said:

What is in the upper floors of the  building on Ontario and S. Roadway, adjacent to May Co., that houses Jake's Pizza on street-level?  Are they offices or apartments?

That’s The Park building. Actually, for sale condos.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frmr CLEder said:

For sale condos?  Do you know if they're selling?

I can’t find any for sale. I imagine it’s fully occupied. The conversion was done in 2009.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Exceptional location but the building could stand a little sprucing up, no?

Check out this unit. Sold for 214k in 2009 😮

 

i believe it got re tuck pointed in the last year. It’s probably the oldest building on Public Square.

 

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/140-Public-Sq-APT-200-Cleveland-OH-44114/90188803_zpid/

Edited by marty15
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, marty15 said:

Check out this unit. Sold for 214k in 2009 😮

 

i believe it got re tuck pointed in the last year. It’s probably the oldest building on Public Square.

 

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/140-Public-Sq-APT-200-Cleveland-OH-44114/90188803_zpid/

 

Old Stone Church is older. 😉

 

I got a tour of the Park Building in 2007 when it was being rehabbed. They had a model unit set up on the second floor. Several people on that tour were stunned that condos could list for $200k-$300k in downtown Cleveland back then. The building was built with granite walls, steel girders, and metal tie-downs in the basement. If they dropped a nuke on Public Square, this building might survive the blast.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a recall correctly they did a really good job with the interior finishes as part of the renovations.  I think some units have fireplaces although probably just decorative or gas or electric.

Edited by Htsguy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't want to get too far off topic but one of my fondest memories of shopping downtown as a kid and young adult-especially when the weather was cold- was passing the Park Building as you walked from May Co to Higbees and smelling the roasted nuts coming from one of the shops in the Park.  The smell filled the street.  For the life of me I cannot recall the name of the store.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“But here’s one really memorable thing about the Park Building. Thousands of long-time Cleveland residents remember it by smell! That’s because, for decades, much of the Park’s ground-floor retail space was occupied by the legendary Morrow’s Nut House. And the geniuses who ran Morrow’s went to great lengths to keep the product warm (and thus aromatic) and to pipe that marvelous odor out into the street. The scent could be detected blocks away. Adding to the Park Building’s olfactory ambiance were neighbors Fanny Farmer Candies and Hough Bakery, the latter a purveyor of the finest glazed doughnuts in the galaxy.”

 

https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/865

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Htsguy said:

Don't want to get too far off topic but one of my fondest memories of shopping downtown as a kid and young adult-especially when the weather was cold- was passing the Park Building as you walked from May Co to Higbees and smelling the roasted nuts coming from one of the shops in the Park.  The smell filled the street.  For the life of me I cannot recall the name of the store.

 

Peterson's Nuts.  My grandfather (Peterson) got lots of kidding about just what was for sale there.


There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems this walkway has as much to do with the May Company building as it does the casino....

 

Jack Casino Cleveland looks to add second pedestrian bridge over Ontario Street

 

CLEVELAND — Two buildings that once housed two of Cleveland's biggest retailers, Higbees and May Company could soon be connected. Jack Casino Cleveland will present to the Downtown/Flats Design Review Advisory Committee on Thursday for schematic design approval of their plans for a new pedestrian bridge over Ontario Street.

 

MORE:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/originals/jack-casino-cleveland-looks-to-add-second-pedestrian-bridge-over-ontario-street

 

Some pics....

 

JackCasino-secondpedwalkwayoverOntario2019-4.jpg

 

JackCasino-secondpedwalkwayoverOntario2019-3.jpg

 

JackCasino-secondpedwalkwayoverOntario2019-2.jpg

 

JackCasino-secondpedwalkwayoverOntario2019.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Poison 3

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the article:

 

Quote

In their project summary, those behind it say it would be to "leverage the prime, central location of the parking garage to revitalize the street-level retail frontage on Ontario and Prospect."

 

How the hell is a walkway that bypasses the street going to revitalize the street level retail?

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to really try to make it to design review tomorrow.  I definitely think at least one or two members are going to have a heart attack over this and I want to watch the show. 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reno has a bunch of these pedestrian bridges leading straight from their parking garages into the casinos. Want to guess what the livelihood of the street was? Almost none.

 

That stretch of Ontario is one of the most pedestrian-unfriendly roads in all of downtown. This pedestrian bridge is just a way to hide the problem from the casino's patrons instead of actually investing in the future of the area. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, simplythis said:

Yo, I just posted the article, with photos. 

Edited by KJP

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, smimes said:

Reno has a bunch of these pedestrian bridges leading straight from their parking garages into the casinos. Want to guess what the livelihood of the street was? Almost none.

 

That stretch of Ontario is one of the most pedestrian-unfriendly roads in all of downtown. This pedestrian bridge is just a way to hide the problem from the casino's patrons instead of actually investing in the future of the area. 

 

Ontario and East 9th street are treated by the city like feeders/extensions of the Interstate  highway system. If the city treated these more as part of the urban setting and invested seed money (I know, fat chance) to foster that, maybe developers wouldn't be seeking these cockamamie gerbil tubes.

  • Like 5

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope this is shot down with a resounding no.  It’s very frustrating the amount of money Dan Gilbert makes in Cleveland and takes to Detroit to build things like Hudson’s Site and Monroe Block.  All the while we’re given things like this and a promised, never delivered Casino Phase II.  
 

Dan Gilbert has done some great things for us like going into the luxury tax to help deliver the city a much needed championship and bringing hundreds of Quicken Loans jobs to downtown.. but stuff like this.. come onnn maaannnn.

Edited by Sapper Daddy
Fat fingers
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad Matt isn't on the Planning Commission, but his mayoral appointees will soon be 😉

 

 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sizzlinbeef said:

JackCasino-secondpedwalkwayoverOntario2019.jpg

 

The Higbee Buildling, now taking one in both ends.

Wait til Bedrock buys the Landmark Building 🙃🐙🐙🐙 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, sizzlinbeef said:

JackCasino-secondpedwalkwayoverOntario2019.jpg

 

The Higbee Buildling, now taking one in both ends.

 

Never thought there would be a DP post on UO. Never.

 

19 minutes ago, marty15 said:

Wait til Bedrock buys the Landmark Building 🙃🐙🐙🐙 

 

 

At least there is an underground connection already there, which is why we don't see more pedestrian activity in the area from the 3,000+ people working and visiting the Landmark every day. 

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KJP said:

Seems this walkway has as much to do with the May Company building as it does the casino....

 

Jack Casino Cleveland looks to add second pedestrian bridge over Ontario Street

 

CLEVELAND — Two buildings that once housed two of Cleveland's biggest retailers, Higbees and May Company could soon be connected. Jack Casino Cleveland will present to the Downtown/Flats Design Review Advisory Committee on Thursday for schematic design approval of their plans for a new pedestrian bridge over Ontario Street.

 

MORE:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/originals/jack-casino-cleveland-looks-to-add-second-pedestrian-bridge-over-ontario-street

 

Some pics....

 

JackCasino-secondpedwalkwayoverOntario2019-4.jpg

 

JackCasino-secondpedwalkwayoverOntario2019-3.jpg

 

JackCasino-secondpedwalkwayoverOntario2019-2.jpg

 

JackCasino-secondpedwalkwayoverOntario2019.jpg

Reminds me of the Clinic campus where it is much more appropriate and practical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mendo said:

From the article:

 

 

How the hell is a walkway that bypasses the street going to revitalize the street level retail?

 

the lone exception is the Walburger joint that seems to be doing quite well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shack said:

the lone exception is the Walburger joint that seems to be doing quite well.

Really need the Tilted Kilt filled with unique retail option.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, WindyBuckeye said:

Really need the Tilted Kilt filled with unique retail option.

There are signs up in the windows of the Tilted Kilt that say "Jack Casino, Something special coming soon"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mack34 said:

There are signs up in the windows of the Tilted Kilt that say "Jack Casino, Something special coming soon"

I really hope it is something "special" and not a TGI Fridays or something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well according to the renderings were getting a "Fresh Organic Grocery".... plus a Dim Sum place so Im super excited about that 😂

 

In all seriousness... I like that the further renovation of the garage and retails bays is addressed here but why do I have a bad feeling that if they get their skywalk that will be where this project ends.  I'm not sure who is in charge of maintaining the outsides of their existing properties but IMO the way the current walkway looks isn't a great sign... the area where it attaches to the Higbee looks cheap and dirty; actually the entire facade of the Higbee looks like it already needs a cleaning.  Plus the area around the "Welcome Center"?  Dead trees and broken streetlights.  And don't get me started on that ridiculous looking "Patio" that is next to Wahlburgers.  

Edited by mrclifton88
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mrclifton88 said:

Well according to the renderings were getting a "Fresh Organic Grocery".... plus a Dim Sum place so Im super excited about that 😂

 

In all seriousness... I like that the further renovation of the garage and retails bays is addressed here but why do I have a bad feeling that if they get their skywalk that will be where this project ends.  I'm not sure who is in charge of maintaining the outsides of their existing properties but IMO the way the current walkway looks isn't a great sign... the area where it attaches to the Higbee looks cheap and dirty; actually the entire facade of the Higbee looks like it already needs a cleaning.  Plus the area around the "Welcome Center"?  Dead trees and broken streetlights.  And don't get me started on that ridiculous looking "Patio" that is next to Wahlburgers.  

I would love if that was the real retail coming in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Bernie,

 

If you’re on here, it looks like Dan is going behind your back and further remove pedestrians from the Prospect park and entrepreneurial Mecca you’re planning. Can you have a stern talking to him for us?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, smimes said:

Reno has a bunch of these pedestrian bridges leading straight from their parking garages into the casinos. Want to guess what the livelihood of the street was? Almost none.

 

That stretch of Ontario is one of the most pedestrian-unfriendly roads in all of downtown. This pedestrian bridge is just a way to hide the problem from the casino's patrons instead of actually investing in the future of the area. 

Invest in what? How often do you walk Ontario? The number of times I've been panhandled, followed, verbally threatened, offered by drugs is more than one deserves in a lifetime. Didn't a woman get sexually assaulted there? I know for a fact there have been 2 robberies this year just on that block alone. That street is not viable at all. It's too concentrated with poverty.

  • Poison 6
  • Dislike 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AsDustinFoxWouldSay said:

Invest in what? How often do you walk Ontario? The number of times I've been panhandled, followed, verbally threatened, offered by drugs is more than one deserves in a lifetime. Didn't a woman get sexually assaulted there? I know for a fact there have been 2 robberies this year just on that block alone. That street is not viable at all. It's too concentrated with poverty.

 

This may be a contender for dumbest comment ever on these esteemed threads. Have you ever heard of the fairly simple concepts of “eyes on the street” and “broken window theory?” 

 

The symptoms you outline are the direct impact of blackout windows, honkey tubes, and lack of retail. 

 

And yes, I work in Terminal Tower and walk this area constantly. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic is being closely monitored by admins and mods and it will be locked if rules are not being followed!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...