Cleveland: Downtown: May Company Building

Guest McCleveland

This building will dazzle at night with indirect lighting. I just hope they highlight the natural color of the building. I think the colored LED lighting of the Terminal Tower is ugly. Like a kid coloring it in with a crayon. With old buildings highlight the natural color. 

• Like 1

as an aside, for a trip down memory lane (for really old people like me and anyone interested to know those dept. stores were like) this is a good overview of the May Co., including a store directory. And I had forgotten how many branches there were. Also other great Cleveland and Ohio dept. stores (Lazarus, etc.) are profiled (I still don't understand why my links aren't linking half the time :classic_sad:). (I was surprised to see they had added branches as late as the late 70's--Randall Park and Euclid Square--both malls defunct)

http://www.thedepartmentstoremuseum.org/2010/06/may-co-cleveland-ohio.html

45991605404_077f549836_b.jpg 

Edited by eastvillagedon
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress videos and photos were posted to Facebook within the past few weeks & days by Terra-cotta contractor Grunwell-Cashero.

These were posted to a baby-boomer group I joined on Facebook some time ago.

You won't need to log in to Facebook to view the items.  these are public posts and should be easy enough to snoop through.   A surprising quantity of content, rich with detail. - All pretty nice stuff.

Grunwell-Cashero also appears to be working on the "Centennial" project at 925 Euclid for Millennia Cos. and posted some photos/video of action there as well.

After clicking the link below, click a second time on the words "Grunwell-Cashero" in the upper left.  The screen should automatically refresh and display the content

https://www.facebook.com/pg/grunwellcashero1953/

50084438_280479742643820_2211801762510143488_n.jpg

Edited by ExPatClevGuy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The apparent demise of Tower City as a competitive retailing location makes me think the odds of the May Co building getting something like an urban Target for their 80K retail sq footage just improved a lot.  I live near an urban Target and their range of stock is almost as big as in a regular store; it's the depth that got cut to fit.  

• Like 4

Es war ein heisser Nacht in Apalachicola als die asbest Vorhang gefällt.

Just now, Dougal said:

The apparent demise of Tower City as a competitive retailing location makes me think the odds of the May Co building getting something like an urban Target for their 80K retail sq footage just improved a lot.  I live near an urban Target and their range of stock is almost as big as in a regular store; it's the depth that got cut to fit.  

"Urban Targets'' are great.

• Like 2

Or maybe an H&M or other mainstream, chain retailer?? It's not like there's no link between this Detroit project and the May Company.....

• Like 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Just now, KJP said:

Or maybe an H&M or other mainstream, chain retailer?? It's not like there's no link between this Detroit project and the May Company.....

That looks like the north stretch of Euclid Avenue between 925 and Statler...the JH Brown redevelopment strip; first look I thought it was Euclid Avenue.

Downtown needs, and will see, the national chains like H&M come in.  Urban Targets are great and offer groceries, the prices of which can't be beat, not great news for a Heinen's, but with continued population growth, there could be room for all.

It would be nice to see initial retailers coming in on Euclid between E 9-PHS.  

Edited by Oxford19
  • Like 1

When I look at May Company potential, I always think of the City Target in Portland, OR that I used to live walking distance to.

Agreed.  Now that Tower City is losing retail, this property is screaming for a City Target or something similar. 

image.thumb.png.fc7506b4ebb9c1141e8b2d7e2ab8801c.pngA

Edited by MuRrAy HiLL
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, MuRrAy HiLL said:

When I look at May Company potential, I always think of the City Target in Portland, OR that I used to live walking distance to.

Agreed.  Now that Tower City is losing retail, this property is screaming for a City Target or something similar. 

I agree.  What a lot of people do not realize is that Portland has an extremely walkable downtown (I've been there several times).  Cleveland (Euclid in general) lost some of that vibe once Tower City came into existence IMO.  A target placed within the May Co. footprint would spark an economic boost in downtown.  It also would give neighborhood residents a centralized location to pick up necessities. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, MuRrAy HiLL said:

Is the Target in Steelyard "too close"? I live Downtown, and never go there, but from their perspective? A target near Public Square, either in May. Co or TC makes a lot of sense. I don't see how it wouldn't be hugely successful. 

Here's an update of the rear of the building. Does the neighboring parking garage connect to each floor? Just noticed how it's pretty much built into the May Co.'s wall...

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 1

The first level up where I'm confident there's a connection into May Company from the Parkade is to the 3rd floor; into the Juniors Department, Liz Claiborne career separates, and across from plus sized dresses, LOL. 

That's the old employee entrance into the store from the garage, and the first level with access from parked cars.

Edited by ExPatClevGuy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KJP said:

From an street side/historical perspective, I'm glad they kept the etched 'M' glass, but as an apartment dweller, that'd be pretty terrible (and dark, especially in the grey winter hah).

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Agreed, the restoration job on the May Company is first rate.  The fact that they replaced the exterior tiles with like tile is huge!!!  contrast that to the Athlon , which is using fiberglass panels.  Definitely a difference

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mack34 said:

Agreed, the restoration job on the May Company is first rate.  The fact that they replaced the exterior tiles with like tile is huge!!!  contrast that to the Athlon , which is using fiberglass panels.  Definitely a difference

Don’t disagree but I do like the way the Athlon is turning out as well.

• Like 4

looks like there is a stand for a retro sign on top of the may co building...  I hereby decree that all buildings in cleveland with this type of stand, must install signage...  oh yeah, and must blink...  that is all....

Edited by lockdog
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sapper Daddy said:

Don’t disagree but I do like the way the Athlon is turning out as well.

I agree......It is going to look very nice when finished..  Just two different ways to do it.  I will say, when the sun hits the Athlon just right, you can really see the plastic panels shine vs the older tiles

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 9:12 AM, RE Developer In Training said:

I cannot wait to walk Euclid Ave from Tower City to Cleveland State in about 5 years and see where it has come from just 5 years ago.  What a transformation.  This project is a huge piece that has been overlooked for far too long. 

Think it's finally fair to say this decade is Cleveland's  renaissance. Hopefully just the beginning of a long one. Someone call or email Targets Investor relations and say what a great opportunity it would be to put a Target in downtown Cleveland at the May Company Building. Perfect space and location. Silly? Who cares. I'd be interested what response whomever would get. KJP???

Edited by Mildtraumatic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mildtraumatic said:

List? City Target is already eyeing this property?

https://www.change.org/p/target-open-a-city-target-in-downtown-cleveland

He's saying Bedrock has City Target on its list of retailers to contact.

• Like 2

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Not a fan of what I saw in that "tour".  That apartment is horrible.  Electric cook tops?  Compact refrigerators? The markup for the view to Public Square is going to be astronomical.  The size of the tub in that unit looked ridiculous.  That should have just been a walk in shower.

Right now I'm unimpressed, but I'm not the target.

• Sad 1

But you might like what's apparently going in on the ground floor.....

• Like 4

I must be hiding secrets somewhere other than where my hair used to be....try the Cleveland retail thread.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know. It wasn't yet a done deal. Was told only that as an urbanist I might like it.

I'd forgotten I wrote that. I haven't followed up on it and I'm in a layover on my to Ukraine. Hopefully we'll all hear something tangible soon.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...