Cleveland: West Side Market News & Info

Guest KJP

http://www.city.cleveland.oh.us/pdf/press/20080627540.pdf

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

June 27, 2008

News Advisory

Westside Market Extended Holiday Hours July 2 – July 5

CLEVELAND – Mayor Frank G. Jackson, Councilman Joe Santiago (Ward 14), Director of Parks, Recreation & Properties Michael E. Cox and the Westside Market Tenant Association announce extended hours for the 4th of July holiday.

WHAT: Cleveland’s Historic West Side Market Announces Extended Fourth of July Holiday Hours

WHEN:

Wednesday, July 2 - 7 am to 6 pm

Thursday, July 3 - 7 am to 6 pm

Friday, July 4 CLOSED

Saturday, July 5 - 7 am to 6 pm

WHERE: Westside Market

1979 West 25th Street

- 30 -

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

I'd guess the limited hours is explained by not enough customer volume. Pike's Place has the advantage of being nestled between downtown and the waterfront. Imagine if WSM was in the space behind Tower City where they want to put the convention center or in the gateway district.

Another difference, the downtown population of Seattle is enormous in comparison to Cleveland. 

^The limited hours are the way it's always been- for many, many decades.  It's not a cutback due to lack of customer volume.  That said it wouldn't shock me to see the hours change someday to reflect the realities of current shopping patterns (it ain't just housewives shopping during the day anymore).

As for Pike Place vs. WSM: Seattle can keep its hoards of gawking tourists- I much prefer the vibe at WSM on market days.

I agree with Strap. 

Originaljbw, you need to remember there were TWO markets in Cleveland the "Central market" which is your present day Gateway project and the Westside Market.

Back then hours weren't an issues as folks downtown could shop at the Central Market and folks on the westside could shop at the WSM.

Honestly, I wish that Gateway would rebuild the Central Market or a smaller version of what was there.  It would be a benefit to residents downtown, tourist and reclaim a bit of the areas history.

OriginalJbw, the stat that Seattle downtown is enormous (Note Seattle LOST 14.5% of its center city residents) in comparison to Cleveland is debatable, since the boundaries of "area's included" vary from city to city, so why post it here?  :roll: :roll:  This isn't the appropriate thread to discuss that, now lets get back to the WSM.

What is the WSM like during business hours? Why are their hours so limited?

Mondays are slow. not all the vendors are open. You see people buying for local restaurants most often on Mondays. Weds and especially  Fris are pretty busy. People from the neighborhood, workers shopping on lunch break, lots of school field trips, retirement home outings. As you know, Saturday is a zoo. I would fully supporting staying open an extra few hours on Monday and wed (probably more so than being open Tues and Thursday). Even though I work in the neighborhood, some days I am too busy even to run over there for a few minutes.

This is definitely on my "to see" list on my next trip to Cleveland! It looks about as close to heaven on earth as I can imagine....the smells, the intense poking and prodding of the people, the showcasing of the products by the vendors....better than a carnival.  Plus, good food that you just can't get at the Kroger or Giant Eagle. (or Safeway here).

The Pike Place Market/WSM comparo isn't really very good.  Pike Place mostly sells used books, knickknack, prepared foods, flowers, and almost incidentally, some actual produce and meats (most fish aka the Salmon Throwers).  It isn't really a place for food shopping.

^The limited hours are the way it's always been- for many, many decades. It's not a cutback due to lack of customer volume. That said it wouldn't shock me to see the hours change someday to reflect the realities of current shopping patterns (it ain't just housewives shopping during the day anymore).

As for Pike Place vs. WSM: Seattle can keep its hoards of gawking tourists- I much prefer the vibe at WSM on market days.

Supposedly, the vendors don't want to have expanded hours. They like the fact that they don't have to work everyday. If there is every a push to expand hours, they will vehemently oppose it. The merchants association is very strong and has made many decisions that are bad for the City and neighborhood. --this is what I've heard.

But I also heard that the old guard president is out. I wonder if there has been any changes since then. Some vendors told me that the old president hated change. FWIW

My family owned a couple stands at the market from around 1939 until 1991.  As you know, the market vendors are basically small family run business's with very little staff on hand.  We needed days off to go down to the food terminal (40th and Woodland) to do all of our buying.  Then we needed to get the produce back to the cooler and re-stock, and set up for the following "open day".  Vendors do not get the days off when the market is off, rather they are doing all the buying. 

Through the 50's and 60's, there was really no set schedule as to hours of operation.  My Dad and Grandpa would spend several days sleeping in the truck from about 8PM until 12 AM, and re-opening the stand at about 1AM.  They would catch a lot of second shift workers on their way home.  They would then stay open for the remainder of the day.

It sounds like a lot of people on this board have only been to the market since it's renovation.  Through the 80's, the produce stands were set up every day by the owners.  They were not permanent fixtures on the street.  We used to load it up in the truck every night at closing, and then re-set up the following morning.  Therefore, being open everyday of the week was almost impossible.  Today, it would be a lot easier to do.  Believe me, closing time was very hectic with everyone closing up  and taking the stand apart.  Lots of PVC tubes hoisting into trucks. 

I can remember an argument between my Dad and Grandpa one very cold snowy Christmas Eve when dismantling the stand.  It was about 7PM and they were both working very hard to get the stand apart to get home for a Christamas Eve dinner.  My Dad was locking up the back of the truck and happened to drop the key in the snow and Could not find it.  he then yelled "Son of a B!tch".  My grandpa, whose primary language was Italian, lifts my Dad's chin up with a steal shovel very slowly and says, "did you just call me a son of a b!tch".  My dad say's, "no, I dropped the key in the snow, can't find it, and I yelled that".  And my grandpa say's, "you ungrateful jerk.  I pay you an honest wage to work a stand, it's Chrismas Eve, and that is the kind of respect you have for me, calling me names."  My Dad says "Oh, your a crazy old man that dosen't understand English."  Yep, then grandpa starts chasing my Dad down 25th with the shovel.  My parents at the time were short on money, and we didn't have a car.  So the bus was his means home.  He was running parallel with the bus, caught it at a red light, jumped on it and told the bus driver to keep moving.  of coarse my grandpa had to give the bus a good whack as it cruised down 25th.  Kind of a funny story, and one of many from a collection of stories from days at the market. 

Another great summer weekend at the market... the wife, child, & I got our foodstuffs, picked up a falafel and took in a nice set from a band from Chicago (Mittens on Strings) out on Market Square.  Good crowd, good tunes, great atmosphere... one of my absolute favorite things about Cleveland!

Great story, gotribe

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

I first saw the West Side Market in 1978, and it's been on my must-visit list ever since, every time I go to Cleveland.

On one of my early visits, I was taking photos when a woman charged up to me and shouted with a strong East European accent, "No Pictures! No Pictures! I break you camera!"

All the while, she was hitting me.

I had to go outside and sit down and regather myself for a while.

She probably thought you were taking her "spirit" away by taking her picture.

• 4 years later...

Want to see crowds? Go to West Side Market on the Saturday before Christmas!

Two years ago there was a flash mob that showed up at West Side Market to sing Hallelujah. It was put on YouTube and sounded awesome. Some suburban isolationist commented "you should do it in a mall or sams club! or where there are more than 12 people!" and that comment since has received so many negative votes that YouTube removed it.

Anyway, there were live musicians playing Christmas music from the balcony and when the crowds broke up just enough I fired off a few photos......

WestSideMarket-122212-3_zpscfd8691b.jpg

WestSideMarket-122212-1_zps0dc61619.jpg

Merry Christmas!!

WestSideMarket-122212-2_zps0e6ba99f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Can't find the West Side Market discussion and the search function isn't working due to high server load, so this is the next-best place to post this.......

NEW MARKET GUIDES ARE HERE!

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=80ec5e324937e9e2eb4a1920f&id=2f63c13b80

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite sure where to post this but this really sucks!

West Side Market fire may close Cleveland landmark for more than a week, vendors fear

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/01/west_side_market_fire_may_close.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Vendors fear the West Side Market may be closed for more than a week following an early morning fire.

The city of Cleveland, which owns the property, is assessing the damage caused at 2:30 a.m. when a fire started in Sebastian Meats in the northwest corner of the market at West 25th Street and Lorain Avenue.

The Cleveland landmark is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year.

The fire caused heavy damage to the butcher shop but was quickly doused.

I just read about this.  So sad.  Thanks goodness, there wasnt more damage

Fire Closes West Side Market

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Cleveland’s historic West Side Market is closed for the day after an overnight fire damaged some of its indoor stalls. 

Reports said firefighters were called to the market about 2:20 a.m. to put out a fire that started in one of the stalls and spread to others nearby. There was no structural damage but extensive smoke damage.   

The entire market will be closed today while it’s cleaned up. 

The Cleveland landmark is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year.

I thought it opened in 1912?

^Oddly KJP, check the first picture you posted above on December 23rd.  It is a picture of the Sebastian Meats that just burned down.

Wow. Good catch!

http://webapp.cleveland-oh.gov/aspnet/moc/West_Side_Market_Update_1-30-13-1.pdf

West Side Market Update

January 30, 2013

City of Cleveland officials held a press conference at 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 to provide an update on the condition and status of the West Side Market after it sustained fire damage.

The City of Cleveland is grateful that the damage to the iconic West Side Market is not as severe as it could have been and that no one was injured in the fire. The temporary closure of the Market will have an impact on the Market vendors, their customers, our residents and the Ohio City neighborhood. As the investigation and clean up process both proceed, the City will provide additional updates.

Cleveland Fire

Cleveland Fire Assistant Chief Brent Collins reported that, at this time, the fire does not appear to be suspicious. Rather, it appears accidental in nature. Cleveland Fire’s investigation is ongoing.

Department of Public Works

Director Michael Cox reported the following preliminary information:

• The Market House is closed until further notice.

• The City’s Building & Housing Department and Office of Capital Projects have done a preliminary inspection.

• Cleveland Public Health Department’s inspection is ongoing.

• Osborn Engineering has done a preliminary inspection for structural concerns. The initial assessment identified a vertical crack in the terra cotta masonry of one of the columns. The City will secure that column and remove the façade to further assess the situation.

• Three different companies have been on scene assess options for clean-up of the Market and will provide cost estimates and timelines. The City is expediting this process so that clean-up work can begin as soon as possible.

• The Produce Building is separate from the Market House and the City is working to reopen the Produce Building as quickly as possible.

Cleveland Department of Public Health

Director Karen Butler reported the following:

Food Safety:

o Food exposed to fire can be compromised by three factors: the heat of the fire; smoke fumes and chemicals used to fight the fire.

o Heat from a fire can activate food spoilage bacteria. Cans and jars can split or rupture, rendering food unsafe.

o Toxic fumes released from burning materials can permeate the packaging and contaminate the food.

o Chemicals used to fight the fire contain toxic materials and can contaminate food and equipment. The chemicals cannot be washed off the food. Foods exposed to chemicals should be thrown away. This includes food stored at room temperature, such as fruits and vegetables, as well as foods stored in permeable containers like cardboard and screw-topped jars and bottles.

Air Quality: At this time, there are no special concerns regarding air quality, given that there has been no major structural damage to the facility.

Health Department’s Responsibility

o Require that proper inventory of foods to be discarded take place for insurance purposes.

o Work with Department of Public Works to manage the food disposal process.

o Require all food contact surfaces and equipment to be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.

o Require all non-food contact surfaces, such as, the sides of the coolers, etc. be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.

o Floors, walls, and ceilings must be cleaned as well.

o Require all refrigeration units and freezers to be restored at proper holding temperatures.

o Give clearance before re-opening.

I'm an early every Saturday regular (some people go to church, I go to the West Side Market) and it just broke my heart to hear about the fire. Sebastians, the stand where the fire began, are my go-to spot for steaks and ground sirloin. I hope they're able to clean everything up and get back to normal asap.

West Side Market Cafe reopens after fire damage closed it for several days

Posted: 02/07/2013

Last Updated: 9 hours and 30 minutes ago

By: Tina Kaufmann, newsnet5.com

CLEVELAND - The West Side Market Cafe is officially open while crews continue cleaning the areas inside the market which were damaged by fire.

Nearly 800 people have liked the status on the market's Facebook page and it was shared nearly 150 times.

Many people are saying they can't wait to get cheese and are eager for the market to be cleaned, repaired and back in business.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/west-side-market-cafe-reopens-after-fire-damage-closed-it-for-several-days#ixzz2KHQ31S5L

Support West Side Market vendor relief! Buy a shirt!

CLE Clothing Company sells new T-shirt to benefit West Side Market vendors

Last Updated: 8 hours and 57 minutes ago

By: Janet Lueken, newsnet5.com

CLEVELAND - The CLE Clothing Company has joined a number of Cleveland businesses that are donating a portion of their sales to West Side Market vendors recoup their losses after last month’s fire that has closed down the Cleveland staple until further notice.

Thursday afternoon, the local clothing store tweeted a photo of a new T-shirt design with an image of the West Side Market that says “Support the West Side Market. A Cleveland cornerstone for over 100 years.”

The shirt is being sold for $20 and is currently available for pre-order only.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/cle-clothing-company-sells-new-t-shirt-to-benefit-west-side-market-vendors#ixzz2KHPXdgq4

West Side Market Cafe reopens after fire damage closed it for several days

Last Updated: 9 hours and 30 minutes ago

By: Tina Kaufmann, newsnet5.com

CLEVELAND - The West Side Market Cafe is officially open while crews continue cleaning the areas inside the market which were damaged by fire.

Nearly 800 people have liked the status on the market's Facebook page and it was shared nearly 150 times.

Many people are saying they can't wait to get cheese and are eager for the market to be cleaned, repaired and back in business.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/west-side-market-cafe-reopens-after-fire-damage-closed-it-for-several-days#ixzz2KHQ31S5L

Support West Side Market vendor relief! Buy a shirt!

CLE Clothing Company sells new T-shirt to benefit West Side Market vendors

Last Updated: 8 hours and 57 minutes ago

By: Janet Lueken, newsnet5.com

CLEVELAND - The CLE Clothing Company has joined a number of Cleveland businesses that are donating a portion of their sales to West Side Market vendors recoup their losses after last month’s fire that has closed down the Cleveland staple until further notice.

Thursday afternoon, the local clothing store tweeted a photo of a new T-shirt design with an image of the West Side Market that says “Support the West Side Market. A Cleveland cornerstone for over 100 years.”

The shirt is being sold for $20 and is currently available for pre-order only.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/cle-clothing-company-sells-new-t-shirt-to-benefit-west-side-market-vendors#ixzz2KHPXdgq4

Or, because the market is now open, I could just take the $20 I would spend on a t-shirt and actually spend it at the market.  That would seem to be the best way to support the place.

http://www.city.cleveland.oh.us/CityofCleveland/Home/PressRelease/prdetail?id=13527

West Side Market Update

February 11, 2013

4:30 p.m.

The City of Cleveland is continuing its efforts to restore the West Side Market to full operation after the fire that occurred on January 30, 2013. Several city departments are involved in the effort to reopen the Market. Here are the most recent updates.

Cleveland Fire

Cleveland Fire’s investigation is still open.

Department of Building & Housing and the Office of Capital Projects

• City officials and Osborn Engineering conducted a follow-up structural assessment of the West Side Market today.

Department of Public Works

• The clean up by RestoreX will be completed by tomorrow morning (Tuesday, February 12).

• The Department of Public Works will work with the Market’s Tenants Association to explain next steps to the vendors.

• The Market House is closed until further notice. A date has not yet been set for reopening.

Cleveland Department of Public Health (CDPH)

• Final inspections have not yet taken place. Approval to reopen will require that:

o Prior to the restocking of individual stands, all food contact surfaces, equipment, and utensils must be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. (Ohio Uniform Food Safety Code 3717-1-04.6)

o Prior to the restocking of basement walk-in lockers, all shelving, equipment, and utensils must be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. (Ohio Uniform Food Safety Code 3717-1-04.6)

o Walls and floors in each individual locker must be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. (Ohio Uniform Food Safety Code 3717-1-06.4)

o Any unwholesome food product stored in the basement must be discarded. (Ohio Uniform Food Safety Code 3717-1-03

Doesn't sound certain yet....

http://www.city.cleveland.oh.us/CityofCleveland/Home/PressRelease/prdetail?id=13543

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

February 12, 2013

West Side Market Reopening Monday, February 18th

CLEVELAND – The City of Cleveland is pleased to announce that we are working to reopen the West Side Market on Monday, February 18. For the past thirteen days, contractors, inspectors, and staff from various city departments and the Tenants Association have been working diligently to get the West Side Market open. Structural engineers have deemed the building to be safe. Cleveland Fire is listing the cause of the fire as undetermined at this time. The clean up by RestoreX MD has completed the scope of its work under its contract with the City.

To successfully reopen the market on February 18, a final inspection is required by the Cleveland Department of Public Health. Their requirements are as follows:

• Prior to the restocking of individual stands, all food contact surfaces, equipment, and utensils must be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. (Ohio Uniform Food Safety Code 3717-1-04.6)

• Prior to the restocking of basement walk-in lockers, all shelving, equipment, and utensils must be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. (Ohio Uniform Food Safety Code 3717-1-04.6)

• Walls and floors in each individual locker must be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. (Ohio Uniform Food Safety Code 3717-1-06.4)

• Any unwholesome food product stored in the basement must be discarded. (Ohio Uniform Food Safety Code 3717-1-03)

In addition, based on inspections by the Department of Building & Housing, the following will be required for inspection prior to reopening:

• All electrical panels must be clear to the front 36 inches and have approved covers with proper labeling;

• Electrical boxes are required for all splices in wiring;

• Appliances must have factory installed cords; and,

• All electric space heaters must be removed.

The following must be completed by March 12, 2013 for inspection by the Department of Building & Housing:

• Remove all unapproved extensions to the electrical system, this includes ceiling fans, lamps, heat lamps that were not installed in conduit with approved means;

• Unused openings in electrical equipment, boxes, and conduits must be closed. This includes open boxes, missing screws and broken receptacles

• Excessive extension cords shall be removed and replaced with permanent wiring. The permanent wiring will require permits and inspections.

• All conduits must be continuous and not broken;

• All additions to the electrical system must be inspected; and,

• A plan must be established to GFCI protect all receptacles within 6’ of a water source.

These measures, required by both CDPH and Building & Housing, are designed to meet city codes and to help protect the health and safety of all who use the Market.

Finally, the facility will be available on February 19, 2013 for inspection by vendors’ insurance companies. Cleveland Fire will make available evidence in their possession. This deadline is in effect to allow the City to continue to move forward with reopening the Market and plans for rehabilitating the damaged space.

It has been a tremendous effort by all parties involved and the City of Cleveland would like to thank everyone for their hard work and patience as we move towards the finish line.

– 30 –

So just in case you hadn't heard, the West Side Market did reopen today! Don't forget to buy market bonds too! There may be some remaining.

We went about 3 yesterday and it will still packed.  The really strange thing was the lingering smell of cleaning products.  I suppose that will take a few weeks to go away.  IT just did not smell like the market.

I did speak with one vendor who was skeptical about any of the fundraising money getting back to the vendors.  I hope that some of the money from the various fund raising drives does directly make it to the vendors.  It is completely appalling that the city is not forgiving rent.  How can you charge rent when the space was closed?

• 9 months later...

Although I have done a decent amount of shopping at the Westside Market here and there I am somewhat of a novice in terms of the meat selection.  I want to get some pork chops for some friends of mine and have no idea if it matters which stand I buy them from.  Does anyone highly recommend any particular stand to buy meats? or pork chops in particular?

WSM is getting new sh!TTers.  Yeah!

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

Renovation crews began work Tuesday on the south side restrooms at the City of Cleveland's historic West Side Market. While these improvements are being made, the Market's north side restrooms will remain open to the public.

Signs are posted to help assist visitors and customers locate the north side restrooms.

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/24184637/million-dollar-improvements-to-west-side-market-bathrooms

Although I have done a decent amount of shopping at the Westside Market here and there I am somewhat of a novice in terms of the meat selection.  I want to get some pork chops for some friends of mine and have no idea if it matters which stand I buy them from.  Does anyone highly recommend any particular stand to buy meats? or pork chops in particular?

The inside meat stands aren't quite like the produce arcade where you *do* have some shady purveyors (fyi, for produce - stick with Basketeria, DeCaros and Bacha and you'll be fine). I have to agree with bumsquare, for pork and poultry I go to Whittakers - make sure to tell them what you're planning to make, how many people, etc. They have pork chops that are thick, extra-thick, butterfly, thin, etc. so if you can tell them "I need to make _____ for x-amount of people", that'll help them help you. If you don't know how long to cook something, ask them - they'll write it down.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

West Side Market CLOSED Monday 4/28 and Wednesday 5/1 for improvements, we open at 7am Friday! http://t.co/QUslkwE6Pm