metrocity

The Official *I Love Cleveland* Thread

So I went to visit a friend in Findlay OH over the weekend for the purpose of going to the haunted Mansfield Reformatory Prison on Saturday night. So he's from down near Columbus originally and has only been to Cleveland once to the RNR HOF. He explained that Findlay being south of Toledo on the I75 corridor, is not really connected to Cleveland directly and is not really on the radar of places to go for that part of Ohio. It's roundabout to go up 75 and turnpike...and takes a few hours. It's easier to go to Toledo (of course), fly for work out of Detroit, go to Columbus or Dayton...etc.

So, I suggested that we go to Cleveland for the day, then drive down to Mansfield at night for the haunted prison.

He was right...getting to the turnpike was a lot of country highways, took 2 hours. Valet parked at E 4th St. Walked around Downtown and an Amish Choir was singing on Public Square. Grabbed a slice at a pizza shop on Euclid. Went to the top of Terminal Tower. Took the rapid (he didn't even know CLE had trains) to WSM and GLB...all packed with people, and there was an outdoor thing going on in the little plaza by GLB. 

Took the rapid from Ohio City to Little Italy. Rapid seemed to be running nicely every 15 min as scheduled. Little Italy was packed with people, had coffee and some bakery. Walked over to University Circle. Tons of people out and wedding party photos being taken.

Took the Healthline back to Playhouse Square, went in Heinen's and had a drink. Stopped into the candy store and popcorn shop at the 5th St arcade. Went to Greenhouse Tavern for Dinner, and had a drink at Society afterward. Picked up the car at the Valet...and it was off to Mansfield.

My point? Everywhere was lively and filled with people. Rapid and Healthline were both full...we had to stand (not complaining). Saw TWO people randomly pick up trash from the street downtown and the rapid and throw it away. The City looked great, and the people were friendly and Cosmopolitan. It felt like a real city..and was so damn easy to have a great day site seeing. 

Granted, it was beautiful weather Saturday...but every time I go back to Cleveland it just gets better and better and there are more people out and about. My friend was really impressed.

The End.

• Like 15
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 3

A few more notable notes or musings:

Near Case Western, there was a Jewish guy speaking to a group of people in an outdoor forum about how and why the Jewish community power structure began to move to Beachwood in the 1970's

In the same area in University Circle we heard 5 different languages being spoken in a matter of minutes.

At the plaza near GLB there were a lot of political activists working to sign up people to vote in Cuyahoga county and make change.

We saw multilple street perfomers singing and playing instruments...I always give those folks money.

We passed what I think was a Nation of Islam group having a discussion on the street downtown...and videotaping it.

I witnessed 4 people help an older lady get on the Healthline with her granny cart of groceries, my friend and I helped her get the cart off the bus at Playhouse square because the gap to the platform was too wide.

People were riding Bird Scooters in all the neighborhoods

On the rapid out the window, we saw a skateboard park full of kids at one point.

Homeless asking for money...of course you'll have that. Worse than any other city? Probably less. In front of tower city? Seriously not bad. 

So yeah...all that looks really cool IMO to my friend 😀

Edited by metrocity
  • Like 10
  • Love 1

TIL after ‘video killed the radio star’ was famously and appropriately played first, and then down the list after two pretenders songs, ‘he can’t love you’ by msb was the 47th video played on mtv.

Edited by mrnyc

8 hours ago, surfohio said:

^ I would bet that Devo’s “Whip it” wasn’t far behind!

Funny that MSB’s biggest (only?) hit song wasn’t sang by Michael Stanley. 

MSB had seven top-100 hits:

https://www.billboard.com/music/michael-stanley-band/chart-history

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

4 hours ago, KJP said:

7 songs in the top 100? Im honestly surprised. As someone who didnt grow up in Ohio and religiously listened to radio & American Top 40, I’d only heard “He Can’t Love You.” 

This could get me banned from the thread, but I’d say arch nemesis Donnie Iris has a leg up on Michael Stanley. “Leah” and “Love is like a rock” got a lot more airplay.

haha you guys missed by far donnie iris’ best song.

the rapper.

and yeah i would agree donnie boy’s hits were more well known and hold up better today.

21 minutes ago, BigDipper 80 said:

Don't forget his "biggest" hit from when he was in Wild Cherry, "Play That Funky Music"!

I'd love to forget it.  It's a point of pride for Cleveland that disco never caught up to rock and roll here.    Unlike Pittsburgh, where "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh" contends for the Worst Movie Ever by combining disco, astrology, and PIttsburgh sports for a triple threat of suckitude.

He wasn't with them then though, for that song.  Only the last album.

I always considered "Agnes" his best song, probably followed by "Tenth Street".

10 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

I'd love to forget it.  It's a point of pride for Cleveland that disco never caught up to rock and roll here.    Unlike Pittsburgh, where "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh" contends for the Worst Movie Ever by combining disco, astrology, and PIttsburgh sports for a triple threat of suckitude.

He wasn't with them then though, for that song.  Only the last album.

I always considered "Agnes" his best song, probably followed by "Tenth Street".

What?  Disco was and is huge here.

question mark wtf GIF

Edited by MyTwoSense
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

What?  Disco was and is huge here.

question mark wtf GIF

It never supplanted rock and roll in this area like it did other places.    WMMS had a lot to do with it.  Always sort of a niche thing.

4 hours ago, BigDipper 80 said:

Don't forget his "biggest" hit from when he was in Wild Cherry, "Play That Funky Music"!

noper -- iris played with that band for a bit after funky music was already a hit --  wiki sez he was on their last album.

one of the guys who co-wrote it went to lorain high for awhile though.

I forgot about those.

Plus all the certain ethnic (although, self-deprecating) jokes they had. 

The one skit I remember I know for sure would not air now centered around a pediatricians office with a bunch of moms feeding their babies... one had chocolate milk. Sort of a play on some of the old Little Rascals bits. 

• Like 1

What a fascinating, unusual story.  Hope he can get some help and community support.

Rapper from Japan with dreams of meeting Bone Thugs gets stranded in Cleveland

POSTED 6:56 PM, OCTOBER 15, 2019, BY ED GALLEK, UPDATED AT 07:40PM, OCTOBER 15, 2019

https://fox8.com/2019/10/15/rapper-from-japan-with-dreams-of-meeting-bone-thugs-gets-stranded-in-cleveland/

^I saw that on the news last night- I would members of the group would get this guy back home.  I wish someone would have told him that though they may still come around,  they left St. Clair a loooooooooong time ago!

^ they did help him. bone thugs had to go back out on tour, but that article says he did get to meet lazyie bone, who put him up in a hotel for a week.

unfortunately, there is some obvious mental health troubles with that guy. i wonder what will happen?

I normally view these DCA videos as something between advertisement and fluff pieces.  However, this video is particularly interesting given the anticipated developments coming over the next decade.

At the end of the video do I view downtown Cleveland with a penciled in nuCLEus, City Club Apartments, RealLife Tower and the big tamale.. the Sherwin-Williams HQ?  Maybe or maybe not.. another well done video by DCA nonetheless.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

It wasn't filmed here, but supposedly Season 2 Episode 1 of Netflix "Haunted" series is based on experiences of a group of 20 somethings living in a rented house on Clifton in Cleveland.    Anyone know these kids or where they lived?  There is some debate as to whether the series is real or not....

"The Mimic" 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11107346/?ref_=ttep_ep1

https://www.netflix.com/title/80195378

3 hours ago, Cleburger said:

It wasn't filmed here, but supposedly Season 2 Episode 1 of Netflix "Haunted" series is based on experiences of a group of 20 somethings living in a rented house on Clifton in Cleveland.    Anyone know these kids or where they lived?  There is some debate as to whether the series is real or not....

"The Mimic" 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11107346/?ref_=ttep_ep1

https://www.netflix.com/title/80195378

Is this the house on the south side of Clifton, at about West 104th, that always has the incredible Halloween and Christmas decorations?

13 hours ago, KJP said:

Is this the house on the south side of Clifton, at about West 104th, that always has the incredible Halloween and Christmas decorations?

Not sure...but as an aside, that guy has outdone himself this year!   I think it's one of the better ones I remember him doing.   He completely refinished the front of his house with faux brick and set up a haunted schoolyard filled with skeleton nuns and children! 

• Like 1

I stumbled across this a year ago when East 79th street was closed for a repair....

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 8:10 AM, E Rocc said:

It never supplanted rock and roll in this area like it did other places.    WMMS had a lot to do with it.  Always sort of a niche thing.

My dad traveled all the time for his job so when he'd fly back into Cleveland my mom would meet him at the Final Approach disco on top of the Sheraton airport hotel.  That meant a babysitter for me which was heaven or hell.  I either had the freckle faced next door neighbor who we all despised or the smoking hot Hawaiian 6th grader who I adored.  I'd be asleep by the time my folks arrived home.

I stayed at the same hotel a few years ago and neither of the bartenders had any idea what i was talking about when I mentioned the disco.  Sad.

Edited by TheHills44060
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, KJP said:

I stumbled across this a year ago when East 79th street was closed for a repair....

i wonder if this is the same guy who made the star wars at-at a while back?

1 hour ago, TheHills44060 said:

My dad traveled all the time for his job so when he'd fly back into Cleveland my mom would meet him at the Final Approach disco on top of the Sheraton airport hotel.  That meant a babysitter for me which was heaven or hell.  I either had the freckle faced next door neighbor who we all despised or the smoking hot Hawaiian 6th grader who I adored.  I'd be asleep by the time my folks arrived home.

I stayed at the same hotel a few years ago and neither of the bartenders had any idea what i was talking about when I mentioned the disco.  Sad.

It's probably relevant that one of the main discos in the area would be associated with an airport hotel, where a lot of the patrons would be from out of town.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:04 PM, musky said:

I forgot about those.

Plus all the certain ethnic (although, self-deprecating) jokes they had. 

The one skit I remember I know for sure would not air now centered around a pediatricians office with a bunch of moms feeding their babies... one had chocolate milk. Sort of a play on some of the old Little Rascals bits. 

"Big Chuck" Schlodowski could even get away with telling them as Polish jokes out in public, back then.   "Certain Ethnic" was as much a parody of the complainers as anything else.   Jeff and Flash used it a lot as well.

9 hours ago, E Rocc said:

"Big Chuck" Schlodowski could even get away with telling them as Polish jokes out in public, back then.   "Certain Ethnic" was as much a parody of the complainers as anything else.   Jeff and Flash used it a lot as well.

I loved Big Chuck, Hoolihan and Lil John

1 minute ago, eastvillagedon said:

I love this guy's videos😂. (I tried to persuade him to do a taco tour of Painesville since he's from LA and presumably has a more discriminating palate for them than the average  Ohioan, but so far no luck)

I haven't seen any other ones other than the Costco trip, and holy crap was that a good one. Looking forward to this one!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 9:01 PM, KJP said:

My girlfriend and I had a similar 'stumble-upon' experience last year. She works for CleMag and was able to set up an interview and photos, pretty cool story!

https://clevelandmagazine.com/in-the-cle/articles/forget-transformers-tim-willis'-robots-are-real