Guest MayDay

Metro Cleveland: Road & Highway News

First I've heard of this......

Ordinance No. 295-2019(Ward 3/Councilmember McCormack): Authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute two deeds of easement granting to the Ohio Department of Transportation certain temporary easement rights in property needed for its Detroit-Superior Bridge Rehabilitation Project; and declaring the easement rights not needed for the City's public use.  

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

1 hour ago, KJP said:

First I've heard of this......

Ordinance No. 295-2019(Ward 3/Councilmember McCormack): Authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute two deeds of easement granting to the Ohio Department of Transportation certain temporary easement rights in property needed for its Detroit-Superior Bridge Rehabilitation Project; and declaring the easement rights not needed for the City's public use.  

ODOT will be overlaying the entire deck of the bridge along with some other miscellaneous work (including rebuilding the Center Street operators building and a lot of substructure work in the lower level tunnels).

ODOT will also be working on the east side of the Lorain-Carnegie bridge this summer, so travel to the near west side will be a joy!

On 3/14/2019 at 6:50 AM, Cleburger said:

If they ever do get the funding and realign it, what will the curve be called?   "Not Quite Dead Man's Curve"? 😂

"The Curve of the Living"

I couldn't find the I love Cleveland thread so I'm putting this cool graphic here...

FB_IMG_1553083912898.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Now your screenname makes sense...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Those graphics are hilarious! And the sex positions thing...yeah that would apply cause I know some of those intersections are a real Cl##$$$ %%ck.

*The Harrisburg Pike, Central and Mound one for Cbus looks like pairs figure skating or dancing....how inappropriate for that filthy dangerous intersection.  

Edited by Toddguy

Nancy Kelsey posted: " Mayor Frank G. Jackson’s Office of Capital Projects introduced yesterday a series of legislative items to Cleveland City Council that would improve infrastructure around the city. The legislation proposes a number of projects from road work to facilities"

New post on Straight from City Hall

City of Cleveland Introduces Legislation to Fund More Than $53 Million in Infrastructure Projects [clecityhall.com]

by Nancy Kelsey

Mayor Frank G. Jackson’s Office of Capital Projects introduced yesterday a series of legislative items to Cleveland City Council that would improve infrastructure around the city. The legislation proposes a number of projects from road work to facilities improvements to professional services for construction and design. As a result of City funds and dollars leveraged from state and other sources, the amount invested in the project will total approximately $53 million.

Projects, if approved, would include:

·         Recreation centers: This would include repairs to the following neighborhood resource and recreation centers: Estabrook, Stella Walsh, Clark, Sterling, Lonnie Burton and Kovacic. It also includes repairs to several playgrounds, citywide courts, fields and playgrounds.

·         Public facilities: This would include repairs to City Hall’s roof, City Hall emergency repairs, West Side Market emergency repairs, Willard Garage improvements, Cleveland Public Hall upgrades, Ridge Road Transfer Station, Cleveland Division of Police stables, Cleveland Fire Station #26 improvements and more. The estimated cost for these repairs is $11.3 million.

·         Miles Avenue: The City of Cleveland will share in the cost of making repairs and resurfacing Miles Avenue with the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT). A 3.6-mile stretch of Miles Avenue would be resurfaced from Broadway Avenue to the Warrensville city line. It is estimated construction would begin April 2020.

·         Center Street Bridge: Improvements of the Center Street Bridge, which was constructed in 1901 to provide access over the Cuyahoga River. The project would include repairing structural steel, painting the bridge, improving pedestrian access, repairing the operator house and making mechanical and electrical repairs.

·         West 65th Street: Resurfacing a 1.90-mile stretch of West 65th Street from Denison Avenue to Herman Avenue. Includes replacement of curbs, installation of ADA compliant ramps, traffic signals, bike lanes and more.

·         East 105th Street: Rehabilitation of a 1-mile section of East 105th Street from Greenlawn to the northern city limits. Improvements in addition to resurfacing would include replacement of curbs, installation of ADA compliant ramps, traffic signals, bike lanes and more.

·         East 116th Street: Upgrade traffic signal at the south leg of East 116th Street and Harvard Avenue and interconnect it with the Cleveland Commercial Railroad crossing across East 116th Street, just north of the intersection at Harvard Avenue. This is a safety upgrade stopping traffic on Harvard when the rail gates are triggered by an approaching train to East 116th Street.

·         Professional services: This legislation would authorize the City to enter into contracts for professional services with two vendors for construction and design projects for roads, bridges and City facilities.

In addition to these projects, the City of Cleveland continues to resurface residential roads and bridges around the city. Click here to view and bookmark our blog page [clecityhall.com] with a continuously updated 2019 list of residential streets slated for resurfacing.

Nancy Kelsey [clecityhall.com] | May 14, 2019 at 4:10 pm | Categories: Capital Projects [clecityhall.com] | URL: https://wp.me/p3ipG9-3Or [wp.me]

Comment [clecityhall.com]

Hey Cleveland, buy this!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, KJP said:

Hey Cleveland, buy this!!

I'd give it about a month before it broke down from overuse, then the city mechanics would have to negotiate a new contract just to get them to look at the thing!  

• Haha 1

I'm a little surprised they are totally replacing deck on the far right east bound lane of Detroit, Superior bridge. The one that was turned into a bike only lane somewhat recently. Not complaining, it just seemed like it wasn't in that bad of shape and since heavy vehicles vacated it was holding up well compared to the other traffic lanes. Seemed like a good opportunity to tout an x million dollars saving due to being a bike lane. Maybe there were underlying issues with it. 

15 hours ago, viscomi said:

I'm a little surprised they are totally replacing deck on the far right east bound lane of Detroit, Superior bridge. The one that was turned into a bike only lane somewhat recently. Not complaining, it just seemed like it wasn't in that bad of shape and since heavy vehicles vacated it was holding up well compared to the other traffic lanes. Seemed like a good opportunity to tout an x million dollars saving due to being a bike lane. Maybe there were underlying issues with it. 

My guess is that since the DS bridge carries multiple federal/state routes, the funding was an all-or-nothing proposition.   

Now if we could just get the 17 axle dump trucks off the bridge and Huron, maybe they will last more than 4 years....

• Like 2

^We just signed off on low-rise development---townhouses on Superior around this photo--at E15--with no retail component. We should leverage the asset of main roads rather than treat them like small numbered streets in the neighborhoods; in other words don't allow such development on main thoroughfares. the city even did this on Euclid in Hough of all places. So don't blame the roads for being too big---its the lack of uses along them that limit their use and city hall allows such uses.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Pugu said:

^We just signed off on low-rise development---townhouses on Superior around this photo--at E15--with no retail component. We should leverage the asset of main roads rather than treat them like small numbered streets in the neighborhoods; in other words don't allow such development on main thoroughfares. the city even did this on Euclid in Hough of all places. So don't blame the roads for being too big---its the lack of uses along them that limit their use and city hall allows such uses.

Good points! It was kind of a nudge on my end for some protected bike lanes or something (i dont see the midway happening anytime soon), so many roads downtown are like this- even ones with huge buildings amd residents. The more traffic calming/road diets/BRT/streetcars the better

• Like 1

Yeah, don't "sign off" on low rise development.  We could have a dirt parking lot there still.  That'll get Superior Ave nice and busy.

On 9/21/2019 at 12:48 AM, Cleburger said:

The reason Cleveland has these wide roads was the time it came of age.  They were laid out for street car tracks.  

Downtown Cleveland's main streets? They were inspired by something much older and farther....the Hapsburg vision of European urban design with the wide boulevards, etc.

1 hour ago, KJP said:

Downtown Cleveland's main streets? They were inspired by something much older and farther....the Hapsburg vision of European urban design with the wide boulevards, etc.

People often seem to forget that Cleveland's downtown streets were platted in the 1790s--- well before streetcars existed.

Gas Tax Hike Allows ODOT To Green Light Nearly $400 Million In Road Projects

https://www.statenews.org/post/gas-tax-hike-allows-odot-green-light-nearly-400-million-road-projects

• 20 of 27 projects ($398 of $934 million awarded) which applied for Transportation Review Advisory Council (TRAC)
  • TRAC Tier 1 NEO / Metro CLE projects awarded (ODOT Districts 3, 4 & 12)
    •  I-77 widening / interchange in Summit County 
    • State Route 18 widening east of Medina
    • (some) I-90 / Inner-belt funding

Final 2020 - 2023 Major New Construction Program List: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/trac/TRAC List/FINAL_20_23_MN_CONSTRUCTION_PROGRAM_LIST.pdf

The 27 2019 TRAC Applications: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/trac/Pages/TRAC-Application.aspx?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

An additional troubling roadway expansion on the horizon: 

Ohio approves $1.1 billion for road construction

https://www.cantonrep.com/news/20191106/ohio-approves-11-billion-for-road-construction

"$6 million for preliminary engineering on expanding the last four-lane stretch of I-77 between Cleveland and Canton to six lanes — between Ghent Road to the Ohio Turnpike in northern Summit County."

A widening of I-77 in this section (which would make it 6 lanes from downtown Cleveland to downtown Canton) is projected to cost $120 million. 

Edited by NorthShore647
  • Poison 1

Good thing we won't be spending anything to maintain our crumbling existing infrastructure!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, NorthShore647 said:

An additional troubling roadway expansion on the horizon: 

Ohio approves $1.1 billion for road construction

https://www.cantonrep.com/news/20191106/ohio-approves-11-billion-for-road-construction

"$6 million for preliminary engineering on expanding the last four-lane stretch of I-77 between Cleveland and Canton to six lanes — between Ghent Road to the Ohio Turnpike in northern Summit County."

A widening of I-77 in this section (which would make it 6 lanes from downtown Cleveland to downtown Canton) is projected to cost $120 million. 

blink 182 wtf GIF

• Like 2

Please let me know I'm not the only one who gets a bit irritated when I see this... is it just me or does seeing spray paint on the roads bother anyone else?  This stuff takes a looooong time to come up on its own.

Brand new road-graffiti up and down E. 6th between Lakeside and St. Clair today:

20191122-124319.jpg

20191122-124405.jpg

Edited by Oldmanladyluck

Some of my earliest downtown memories are from Christmas expeditions.   I don't remember specifics from the stores, but I have very vivid memories of steam pouring out of manhole covers, painted markings, jackhammers and Salvation Army bells. 

These marks don't bother me at all.  It's part of an American urban existence, where crumbling infrastructure is constantly under repair.  

On 11/22/2019 at 1:17 PM, Oldmanladyluck said:

Please let me know I'm not the only one who gets a bit irritated when I see this... is it just me or does seeing spray paint on the roads bother anyone else?  This stuff takes a looooong time to come up on its own.

Brand new road-graffiti up and down E. 6th between Lakeside and St. Clair today:

20191122-124319.jpg

20191122-124405.jpg

Is this graffiti or public works markings?