Guest MayDay

Metro Cleveland: Road & Highway News

I thought this might be a good catch-all thread for road and street closures, construction delays, etc.

For starters, here's what you get to look forward to in Tremont/Duck Island. Note that the red lines are also the primary detours. I think that ODOT and the Streets department get kickbacks from repair shops:

tremontroadconstruction08.jpg

And you you forget to show on that map that the Eagle Road bridge is not just closed, but GONE!

The West 3rd Street lift bridge, farther south, is due to be closed for painting, but has been delayed several times since last year.

"Save the planet. Move to the city." -- The Downtowner podcast

Have fun commuters: this ought to make for an interesting afternoon drive.

Slope repairs to close multiple ramps

Cleveland

October 20, 2008, 4:09 PM, Garfield Heights, OH…

Beginning Wednesday, October 22, following the morning rush hour, crews will close both the E. 14th Street and E. 21st Street ramps to I-77 southbound in order to perform slope and catch basin repairs.  Crews will also close the left lane of the I-90 westbound ramp to I-77 southbound.  One lane will remain open for access.

East 14th and 21st Street traffic may detour via Orange Avenue southbound to I-77 southbound.

The East 14th and 21st Street ramps as well as the left lane of the I-90 westbound ramp to I-77 southbound will remain closed for approximately two weeks as repairs are made.  Slope issues have undermined the shoulder at the junction of the I-90 westbound to I-77 southbound ramp and I-77 northbound to I-90 westbound ramp.

The above mentioned ramps are critical routes while lanes are closed on the I-90 Innerbelt Bridge, therefore, ODOT has accelerated the sale and construction of this project.

The Ontario Street, E. 9th Street, E. 14th Street & I-77 northbound ramps to I-90 westbound and Ontario Street ramp to I-77 southbound remain closed following inspection of the I-90 Innerbelt Bridge. 

All dates and times are approximate and weather dependent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D12/Deputy%20Director/News/Pages/Sloperepairstoclosemultipleramps.aspx

Sucks for the Clevelandites too.

Not really, as we have a better connection to the transportation system.

This is a clear situation where ODOT should be cut and money should be going into transportation.

This is a clear situation where ODOT should be cut and money should be going into transportation.

You mean different modes of transportation?

You mean different modes of transportation?

I'm sorry.  I meant public (RTA) and green transportation options.

well..

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/10/odot_opens_e_14th_st_ramp_to_i.html

ODOT opens East 14th Street ramp to I-90 to ease congestion

Posted by Karen Farkas/Plain Dealer Reporter

October 22, 2008 13:45PM

CLEVELAND -- The East 14th Street ramp to Interstate 90 west was opened today to help ease congestion caused by the closing of the ramps at East 14th and East 21st streets to Interstate 77.

That ramp and others to I-90 west have been shut down since Oct. 1 when the two outbound and two inbound lanes of the Inner Belt Bridge were closed to reduce weight on the span...

ODOT closes all on-ramps to I-90/77/71  to ease Innerbelt congestion

Only pass through traffic from other states allowed to pass through poverty stricken city

Posted by Poopsie / Plain Dealer Reporter October 22, 2008 13:45PM

CLEVELAND -- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah.

ODOT closes all on-ramps to I-90/77/71  to ease Innerbelt congestion

Only pass through traffic from other states allowed to pass through poverty stricken city

Posted by Poopsie / Plain Dealer Reporter October 22, 2008 13:45PM

CLEVELAND -- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah.

rollin2.gif

http://www.heightsobserver.org/read/1/7/residents-prefer-avenue-to-boulevard-for-cedarfairmount

Residents prefer avenue to boulevard for Cedar-Fairmount

by Deanna Bremer Fisher

Option B would expand the sidewalks on the north and south sides of Cedar Road, creating the feeling of a grand avenue and enhancing pedestrian safety.

I see that some of the Freeway Management System boards in Northeast Ohio show "MINUTES TO" various destinations and others are turned off.  Does anyone know why some are turned off?

Low Nielsen ratings.

I give them a year or two before they start sucumbing to our world-famous road salt.  ODOT seems to forget this when buying apparatus like signs, guardrails...and GIANT CONCRETE WALLS to block sound from subdivisions.    :roll:

The remaining boards are operational.

I'm I the only one that finds these to be a complete waste of money?  If I'm westbound on the Shoreway heading into downtown, who cares the time to SR2 vs I 77?  They make no sense.

I'm I the only one that finds these to be a complete waste of money?  If I'm westbound on the Shoreway heading into downtown, who cares the time to SR2 vs I 77?  They make no sense.

You're not alone. Who cares what the time is to anywhere? You can't take detours on secondary roads to make up time, and most of the signs are in the wrong place where there are parallel highways. The only sign that is remotely worthwhile is on I-480 east near Granger. It tells you what I-77 is like into downtown. If it's bad during morning rush hour (big surprise anyway), what can you do about it? Take SR176/Jennings instead? Most times that's almost as bad as I-77 and its longer, so you don't save time anyway.

Want a sign that would make some sense? A sign on I-271 or US422 could tell me to get off at the next exit to get on a commuter train on the tracks through North Randall! Oh wait, we don't have commuter trains there anymore! For the $1 million per mile ODOT spent (and continues to spend) on building new or replacing relatively new sound walls along the interstates, we could have instead had a pretty decent commuter rail route or two in the metro area.

Having experienced them a lot in Columbus and Cincinnati they become useful when other information is posted on them. Once there was one on I-75 in Cincinnati that read 'look out for debris ahead in right lane.' Ended up being a reclining chair in the road. I think they're useful.

It's better that they are used for this function than the functions that are "granted" to them by sitting politicians - such as Amber alerts. Since the "Minutes To" function went up several months ago, all of those useless Amber alerts (and et al.) are gone.

The best "Minutes To" was when I was coming back during that storm that spawned all of those tornados not too long ago. Traffic was just queued on I-75 NB into Cincinnati because of the very high winds, rain, hail... and it just said "99" to SR 562 - a 10 minute drive normally. Might as well put up in infinity sign!

The remaining boards are operational.

i agree.  imo, it would be at least a little more helpful if there were some boards facing traffic leaving downtown before key decision points.  it seems that they are mostly geared toward traditional AM rush hour traffic flows into the city.

for instance, a couple weeks ago when I77 south was closed just past I490, there were no signs until well after a decision could have been made - either on city streets before entrances or before a key split, like I490 where there is a reasonable highway workaround back to 77 south.

EDIT:

I also think that having a map that shows the links and is color coded works much better for showing the status of the overall system.  These are commonly found in Europe and Asia on their highway networks.  Something like this:

http://iainmasterton.photoshelter.com/image/I0000CE9jmbFbx1E (beijing) or this one from shanghai: http://www.traffictechnologytoday.com/news.php?NewsID=3624

Not sure where to ask this... But are they finally replacing the fencing, lights, and repairing the concrete on the Valley View bridge? They have barricades along both outer sides and looks like they've marked the concrete.

Anyone know what this bridge project involves?

Resolution No. 1256-12(Ward 2/Councilmember Reed): Declaring the necessity and intention to appropriate up to six easements for public use in connection with the Harvard Avenue Bridge project.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2012/09202012/index.php

Could be. I was wondering if this was bigger than that, like the Harvard-Denison bridge over the Cuyahoga Valley. But then, it probably would be listed as Harvard-Denison, not just Harvard! :-P

The two lane bottleneck remains if you are getting on 480, yes. This will help rush hours on 271. They will be doing the same thing on 77 expanding from 4 to 6 lane highways.

I'm just going to make some crazy talk here, but would it be beneficial to make a dedicated bus / HOV lane like they have in LA (I know, that go largely unused) to accomodate the morning and afternoon rush? I have to think that if you do that in conjunction with park and ride services, you might reduce the amount of car traffic coming into Cleveland.

The two lane bottleneck remains if you are getting on 480, yes. This will help rush hours on 271. They will be doing the same thing on 77 expanding from 4 to 6 lane highways.

Most of the backup is at the interchange though. If they wanted to fix that, they ought to extend one of the express lanes southbound through the interchange to Rockside or Columbus.

Most of the backup is at the interchange though. If they wanted to fix that, they ought to extend one of the express lanes southbound through the interchange to Rockside or Columbus.

Columbus? As in the road or the city? :)

Columbus? As in the road or the city? :)

:roll:

They should have, just as 480E  should have ended at 43 not 303.  I'm not sure they can, now.  The genius that designed that interchange penned 1-271S into two lanes after the 480W traffic merges off but also after the express lane dumps in.

The best way to do this might be to attack Richmond Road south of Miles, which is also a mess.  It veers off the the east and narrows into one lane.  Then it ends at Cannon (becomes Rockside).  You have to turn right, passing through a ridiculously narrow RR tunnel from the horse drawn era, and make a left to get back onto Richmond.

If they started where it veers off and went 5 lanes (2 each plus a turn) they could end at Cannon and the southern section of Richmond.  That's one lane as well but they could put in a left turn lane and maybe even two right turn lanes, feeding people back towards Rockside and Aurora.

http://www.city.cleveland.oh.us/CityofCleveland/Home/PressRelease/prdetail?id=15468

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

January 17, 2014

**Traffic Advisory**

Denison Avenue Reconstruction Project Phase I Work

CLEVELAND – Effective Monday, January 20, 2014, construction will begin; weather permitting, on the Denison Avenue reconstruction project. Phase 1 of the construction will be along West 62nd Street, from Denison Avenue south to Barberton Avenue. This phase of the project includes the installation of a new water main and duct bank. On street parking restrictions will apply. One southbound lane of traffic will be maintained along West 62nd Street during this phase of construction. Driveway access will be maintained. This phase of construction is anticipated to be complete in four (4) months at which point the roadway will be reopened to normal traffic patterns.

The project will include the installation of a Cleveland Public Power underground power line duct bank, and associated utility relocations, pavement reconstruction and resurfacing, curb, sidewalk and driveway repairs. This Project is scheduled for completion by December 2015.

Further work on Denison Avenue (West 62nd to Fulton) is anticipated to commence on or about January 27, 2014 as the maintenance of traffic and detour routes are being finalized. A 72 hour notice will be issued prior to implementing a change in traffic patterns on Denison Avenue.

-30-