moonloop

Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: 3CDC Development and News

31 minutes ago, taestell said:

So they essentially punted and did not address the major underlying issue: Central Parkway is dangerous for pedestrians.

Central Parkway was down to one lane for months for subway tunnel repairs and no one noticed or cared. 

8 hours ago, thomasbw said:

Central Parkway was down to one lane for months for subway tunnel repairs and no one noticed or cared. 

If only this statement meant what I wish it did. 

See inside 3CDC’s latest OTR condos: PHOTOS

By Tom Demeropolis  – Senior Staff Reporter, Cincinnati Business Courier

Cincinnati Center City Development Corp. is finishing up construction on a condominium project in Over-the-Rhine, Rennen & Beecher Flats.

The $7.2 million mixed-used development is located at the corners of 15th and Race and 15th and Pleasant streets. Joe Rudemiller, spokesman for 3CDC, said this project helps to finish out redevelopment in this portion of Over-the-Rhine.

More

On 1/15/2019 at 10:21 PM, mcmicken said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/02/08/sundry-vice-co-founder-opening-retro-style-bar-in.html

The recently rennovated stafford building done by 3cdc is gaining a new tenant...it's a new bar from the co-owner of sundry and vice.

I literally counted, theres about give and take about 40-45 bars in South of liberty alone. I'm also not taking into account restaurants that function as both. Im talking 40 plus bars, in such a packed dense distance.

I'm amazed how the majority of these bars are successful, even when the majority of there business is dead on weekdays and solely rely on weekends to make there bulk money.

I also imagine otr commercial lease rates are still somewhat affordable I guess which helps. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 9:58 AM, Jimmy Skinner said:

Does anyone know how much the proposed tax increase will be for property owners in OTR for the SID that 3CDC is proposing?  Also, what are the proposed boundaries?

CityBeat has more information on the proposed SID. The boundaries would be Central Parkway on the south and west, Liberty Street on the north, and Broadway Street on the east. So that's a little bit odd because it would cover more than half of Pendleton, but less than half of OTR, and we're still calling it the "OTR SID".

Also, it is technically not 3CDC that is leading the effort, but "a volunteer working group made up of representatives from Model Group, Neyer Construction, Over-the-Rhine Community Housing, Urban Sites, Mortar, the Over-the-Rhine Chamber, 4EG, Over-the-Rhine Community Council and Findlay Market".

The tax that a property owner would pay for the SID is "$2.03 per linear front foot a property occupies plus $1.20 per $1,000 of auditor-assessed value". I have no idea how the frontage is calculated for multi-story buildings. For example, my condo has 35 feet of frontage onto Main Street but it's a three story building with a total of 4 units sharing that frontage. So would I pay for 35 feet or 1/3 of that 35 feet?

3CDC and the OTR Chamber currently spend "about $250,000 a year to pay for litter and graffiti removal, streetscape improvements, snow shoveling, safety initiatives and other services, some provided by 13 paid street ambassadors" but the proposed SID would raise about $650,000 a year. I would be curious to see where the additional money would go. If some of the extra money could go towards streetscape improvements like sidewalk bump-outs and utility burial, I would 100% support this.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, taestell said:

3CDC and the OTR Chamber currently spend "about $250,000 a year to pay for litter and graffiti removal, streetscape improvements, snow shoveling, safety initiatives and other services, some provided by 13 paid street ambassadors" but the proposed SID would raise about $650,000 a year. I would be curious to see where the additional money would go. If some of the extra money could go towards streetscape improvements like sidewalk bump-outs and utility burial, I would 100% support this.

I seriously doubt the extra money would go toward capital projects.  $400k would evaporate quickly on any project and other parts of the neighborhood would be unhappy if money was spent on improvements nowhere near them.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

^^ My expectation would be that the condo board would decide how to carve up the $71.05 (=35ft*$2.03) among members.

Edited by Robuu

21 minutes ago, taestell said:

CityBeat has more information on the proposed SID. The boundaries would be Central Parkway on the south and west, Liberty Street on the north, and Broadway Street on the east. So that's a little bit odd because it would cover more than half of Pendleton, but less than half of OTR, and we're still calling it the "OTR SID".

It's interesting/surprising that Findlay Market is involved in this, yet the (initial) SID wouldn't even include Findlay Market. Frankly, I think the area that would benefit most from the SID is north of Liberty, to help with litter clean up and making the area safer for continuing to fill empty buildings. The article says " The group says it would eventually like to consider expanding the district throughout OTR."... but it doesn't explain the rationale for starting with a smaller area. 

You need 60% of the street frontage to agree to pass the SID, so the boundaries were probably chosen to maximize the likelihood of passing. The article says 35 percent of the frontage is owned by 3CDC, CPS, or the City of Cincinnati, all of whom would probably vote in favor. Urban Sites and Model Group also own a good percentage. What's sad is that the owners of the massive parking lots in Pendleton will have a huge say in whether or not this district gets created. The two lots owned by the Levine family have 700 feet of street frontage so their vote will count for 60x as much as my vote.

16 minutes ago, taestell said:

You need 60% of the street frontage to agree to pass the SID, so the boundaries were probably chosen to maximize the likelihood of passing. The article says 35 percent of the frontage is owned by 3CDC, CPS, or the City of Cincinnati, all of whom would probably vote in favor. Urban Sites and Model Group also own a good percentage. 

That makes sense

48 minutes ago, taestell said:

The $250,000 is currently spent in a smaller area, mainly around Vine Street and Washington Park.  They will need the $650,000 to provide these additional services on all the streets in the new proposal.

• Like 1

Honestly the anchor was one of if not the worst restaurants in OTR.  Their location was great but the food wasn't very good.  I'd like to see an actual good seafood place replace them.  I don't think 3CDC or whoever owns the building to have a tough time finding a tenant to take this high profile location.  

I only ever went to Anchor for their $1 oyster specials as not much else on their menu was really worth the price. A few blocks south, one can find better (albeit less trendy) seafood at the decades old Washington Platform. I always find it interesting to see what restaurants stand the test of time and which go out of business within 5-10 years. It sometimes seems like the more a place is hyped by foodies, the quicker it dies. Meanwhile a place like Alabama Fish, with a menu consisting of just three dishes that do not change, is constantly booming.

22 minutes ago, troeros said:

New 5 story infill project at 1505-1507 Vine St was presented in the latest HCB packet. Interestingly there was no rendering provided in the packet..Anyone know why that may be?

https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/buildings/historic-conservation/historic-conservation-board/march-25-2019-staff-report-and-attachments/

These are the RESTOC lots.  Deeded to Buddy Gray in 1991.  So it looks like Josh Spring is selling out. 

^ I think those lots are proposed to have affordable housing through a partnership with 3CDC and OTRCH. I remember seeing a friend who is/was? involved with OTRCH post about this on Facebook a while back, and I seem to remember there being renderings. I believe they are renovating one or two buildings in addition to the new construction as part of the project.

^Incidentaly, RESTOC also owns this rather prominent building on Race St.:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1101962,-84.5169289,3a,75y,81.23h,100.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssnMottTlnlPrxI_TQlI3Cw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Per the auditor, they also own the vacant lot to the south (to the right in the above image).  Hyde Park Methodist Church owns the vacant lot at the corner. 

The building you see was purchased for $12,000 in 1992 and they were given the vacant lot for free.  They could sell the lot for $150,000 and the building for even more and provide housing to more people in another part of town (they could easily buy a 10-unit building with the proceeds). 

These non profits and churches should develop their empty lots and abandoned buildings if they actually cared for the poor/homeless.  If they can't afford to do it themselves they could easily sell the land/buildings to someone who would do it and mandate it be for affordable housing in the deal.  Instead they just allow drug deals to go down on the empty lots and god knows what to go on in the empty buildings.  Bunch of hypocrites.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, troeros said:

New 5 story infill project at 1505-1507 Vine St was presented in the latest HCB packet. Interestingly there was no rendering provided in the packet..Anyone know why that may be?

https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/buildings/historic-conservation/historic-conservation-board/march-25-2019-staff-report-and-attachments/

This infill project is part of a larger project, including the renovation of the buildings to its north (1511, 1513, and 1517 Vine) in partnership between Over-the-Rhine Community Housing and 3CDC. More details here: https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/12/12/two-over-the-rhine-housing-projects-get-state-help.html

Not sure why the renderings weren't included in the HCB packet. 

2 hours ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

The northernmost of that short strip of buildings will not be part of this redevelopment.  It has been owned by "Joseph House" since 1998.  North of the so-called Joseph House is the former Empire Theater site, which the City seized from Leshawn Pettus-Brown in 2007. 

These two buildings still have old owners who quite obviously are refusing to sell:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1527+Vine+St,+Cincinnati,+OH+45202/@39.1125928,-84.5158799,3a,75y,263.32h,106.01t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sUKCIoOeKTBB-Gbb9XtfuDg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DUKCIoOeKTBB-Gbb9XtfuDg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D86%26h%3D86%26yaw%3D257.48447%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x8841b3fc3c51774d:0x766cd02477f1d75!8m2!3d39.1125684!4d-84.5159773

19 hours ago, troeros said:

52 new units is nice for those handful of blocks!

The article only mentions 32 units, and I only counted 32, did I miss something? While I would definitely prefer 52, 32 units is still a decent amount of units for that small sliver of the block. I'm thoroughly surprised the Historic Conservation Board didn't try to create a scene. 

1 minute ago, Lucas_uLsac said:

The article only mentions 32 units, and I only counted 32, did I miss something? While I would definitely prefer 52, 32 units is still a decent amount of units for that small sliver of the block. I'm thoroughly surprised the Historic Conservation Board didn't try to create a scene. 

There’s an additional 20 units in the buildings to the right of The new building that they will ever renovating.

8 minutes ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

There’s an additional 20 units in the buildings to the right of The new building that they will ever renovating.

Got it. The way it was worded, I assumed they were considering the renovated buildings next to the new one as the whole project. This is amazing density that OTR needs to continue with! I'm always trying to tell people that density doesn't mean high-rises. And in Mid-sized cities like Cincinnati, I'd rather see density and population added by making units smaller and reducing or eliminating parking in projects. Seems like Cincinnati has been on a roll lately in this regard. 

• Like 1

I think there must be some misunderstanding:

The new infill building at 1505-1507 Vine will be 12 Units

The Three standing buildings north of there, 1511-1517 Vine will be 20 Units.

Total of 32 Units in the project.

The correct number is 32. 12 in new building + 20 in existing buildings= 32. And 3cdc is involved so perhaps this is in the wrong thread.

Edited by thebillshark

www.cincinnatiideas.com

49 minutes ago, thebillshark said:

The correct number is 32. 12 in new building + 20 in existing buildings= 32. And 3cdc is involved so perhaps this is in the wrong thread.

3CDC owns at least one of the buildings, which is why they are "involved".  Restoc owns one building + the pair of vacant lots where the new building will go. 

If not for the Joseph House hold-out, the project could have conceivably stretched north to the Empire Theater lot.  Instead, it looks like Joseph House will continue by itself and 3CDC will attempt to acquire the buildings still in pre-3CDC hands north of the lot and combine them into a 20-30 unit project at some future date. 

Being relatively new to town, I am curious what people's opinions are on OTRCH as an organization. I live adjacent to one of their apartment buildings and there are frequent drug deals, loud music at 3AM, littering everywhere, etc. To me, this reflects poorly on the organization, granted I do have very limited experience with them. Obviously affordable housing is a good thing, but I hope their newer developments in more trafficked parts of OTR can avoid these kinds of issues...

30 minutes ago, Largue said:

Being relatively new to town, I am curious what people's opinions are on OTRCH as an organization. I live adjacent to one of their apartment buildings and there are frequent drug deals, loud music at 3AM, littering everywhere, etc. To me, this reflects poorly on the organization, granted I do have very limited experience with them. Obviously affordable housing is a good thing, but I hope their newer developments in more trafficked parts of OTR can avoid these kinds of issues...

This is pretty common for OTRCH.  To a lesser extent I have the same issues with Tender Mercies although they at least make some effort (albeit not nearly enough).  These non-profits don't make much of an effort to be good neighbors and lash out at people who point out their failings.  Unfortunately, you just have to keep calling the police enough to get them listed as a nuisance property before they'll address the issues.  It'll take a lot of effort and coordination with police to get them to clean up their act sadly.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

28 minutes ago, Largue said:

Unfortunately this has very little to do with the otr community housing, and more to do with the generation of poverty that otrch hosts. Many of these people were ex convicts/ex gangbangers, grew up with an absent father and mom had 7 kids to get more social welfare benefits and was hardly involved. Obviously not the case for every individual, but working with underprivileged youths, it's a very common timeline of events. 

The reality is that it will be hard to police these folks. It's how they were raised and you can't really do much to stop that now. 

^any subsidized housing will have these issues.  The building next to me is owned by Model Mgt and the tenants play loud music and throw diapers out their windows.  I don't think you can blame OTRCH. 

Edited by Jimmy Skinner