moonloop

Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: 3CDC Development and News

25 minutes ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

Do you have a link to the renderings?

here you go.  Pleasant street renderings start on page 25.

22 minutes ago, troeros said:

Just go to hcb Cincinnati website and select the latest date packet, scroll a bit and you'll find it.

If people are going to reference the HCB packets on here, at the least provide a link and page number... Telling people to scroll through a 225 page document isn't helping anyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 10albersa said:

here you go.  Pleasant street renderings start on page 25.

If people are going to reference the HCB packets on here, at the least provide a link and page number... Telling people to scroll through a 225 page document isn't helping anyone.

My bad

27 minutes ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

Do you have a link to the renderings?

https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/buildings/historic-conservation/historic-conservation-board/august-19-2019-staff-report-and-attachments/

Take a look at 1725 Elm... who would rather have windows in their closet over windows in your bathroom? Seems like an easy switch.

Yeah I get sharing the thicker plumbing wall on the back to back restrooms, but it does seem weird on the other floors. That natural light will really help to select an outfit though!

I'm glad they are keeping the ghost Paramount Vodka sign on the side of the building. 

On page 45-46 of that HCB  report is the request from Model to demolish a 3 story building on Campbell Alley (1725 Elm Street, Rear).  The wall along the alley is sinking and needs underpinning, however the interior framing was structurally stabilized about 10 years ago and it was re-roofed at that time too.  this building should not be demolished. If the HCB allows this, they are just a rubber stamp.

11 hours ago, taestell said:

causal steakhouses

These places sound ~iNtElLeCtUaL~

Will we finally unify mechanics and relativity? Are butchered cows behind the big bang? Can't wait to find out.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 7:47 AM, jmecklenborg said:

I choked on a steak last December and had to have it removed, at great expense, at a hospital.  $7,200, before insurance, to be exact.  So I'm done with steak. 

https://www.winchesterhospital.org/health-library/article?id=629513

Is there anything that hasn't happened to you? lol

• Like 2

I took a few new aerial shots of the Meiners/Behlen renovation and the OTR Kroger site. If they are able to acquire that grassy lot from Marilyn Wade, they have quite a lot of space to work with for some new infill.

48642868823_95efcb409b_k.jpg

48645063763_814c1e5f80_k.jpg

48645420981_2110516e3b_k.jpg

• Like 1

The new downtown Kroger won't be very big by modern Kroger standards, I think someone said it would be about 1.5× or maybe 2× the size of the OTR store. The biggest improvement will be the quality and the selection. Kroger corporate leadership doesn't care about the OTR store but they will care about a new flagship urban store a block away from their HQ.

Look at all of those air conditioners on the roofs.  I hate the noise of AC units, especially since so many people run their AC when it isn't even hot.  At least they're up on the roof - all around OTR, the atmosphere of back patios and balconies are spoiled by air conditioners.  

28 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

Look at all of those air conditioners on the roofs.  I hate the noise of AC units, especially since so many people run their AC when it isn't even hot.  At least they're up on the roof - all around OTR, the atmosphere of back patios and balconies are spoiled by air conditioners.  

We live in Hyde Park close to St Mary's it is I believe, and they have a massive AC Unit behind their building. It literally is the loudest AC Unit on earth, and made sense why the hosues selling directly across the street are cheap compared to rest of Hyde Park.

I think there is a continuous hum in the urban core that you don't even notice since it is constantly there, would be weird if everyone turned them off all at once or if all the power went out, how quiet it would be. I think you get a glimpse of that a little bit when you are in the middle of Wash Park.

3CDC really should have proposed a new location for the garden before pushing this project.  I agree that this project should go through, a garden doesn't belong on a major thoroughfare, but the backlash is going to be immense...

4 minutes ago, 10albersa said:

3CDC really should have proposed a new location for the garden before pushing this project.  I agree that this project should go through, a garden doesn't belong on a major thoroughfare, but the backlash is going to be immense...

Seriously don't understand why they don't move this public garden to a portion of Washington Park if it's such a big deal.

As an aside, I've noticed this trend of alot more faux historic infill being proposed for otr lately. Before it was this clash of modern with some historic design elements but lately it's been heavily faux inspired...

I'm almost wondering if buyers are more interested in historic properties/faux historic properties than modrtn structures in otr...and maybe this is what is pushing the change? 

3 minutes ago, troeros said:

I'm almost wondering if buyers are more interested in historic properties/faux historic properties than modrtn structures in otr...and maybe this is what is pushing the change?

My guess is the developers know it will pass the HCB without complaint, so they copy/paste the same plan on these empty lots.  I would prefer we see more modern mixed into OTR.  Or at the least, do what the Rennen & Beecher Flats did and mix in some big windows to give these buildings a modern touch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, troeros said:

The only remaining 3 story outhouse in the city is proposed to be demolished for a residential deck at 20 Findlay Street (Item #8)

1 hour ago, mcmicken said:

The only remaining 3 story outhouse in the city is proposed to be demolished for a residential deck at 20 Findlay Street (Item #8)

Fascinating... what's its current condition? It seems like a lot of OTR was built just as modern plumbing (my building from 1870 was built with a single, shared wet closet per floor) was becoming standard. Were multistory outhouses the default prior to plumbing?

19 minutes ago, jwulsin said:

Fascinating... what's its current condition? It seems like a lot of OTR was built just as modern plumbing (my building from 1870 was built with a single, shared wet closet per floor) was becoming standard. Were multistory outhouses the default prior to plumbing?

Have never been inside but it is 3 story brick. You can see it if you walk down Rowan Ct on the south side of Rookwood.

My understanding is that multi story ones were still pretty rare. Actually, most OTR buildings were built without plumbing, but the shared toilets were added later.

• Like 1

Page 47 of the latest HCB Sept 23rd shows renderings of the new 3cdc OTR Vine St Infill.

I have to say it looks SEXY as hell. Reminds alot of Chicago inspired infill. 3cdc haa been simply killing it lately with the new otr infill. 

image.thumb.png.4e0be934afb9bba40c970bf6a45bd3e2.png

Agreed, the curved brick details are really interesting and something you would see Morris Adjmi doing in New York. The color and sheen of the brick will determine its success ultimately, but the starting point is good and is a nice nod to historic bay/oriel windows while being contemporary looking as well.

Edited by ucgrady

12 minutes ago, ucgrady said:

Agreed, the curved brick details are really interesting and something you would see Morris Adjmi doing in New York. The color and sheen of the brick will determine its success ultimately, but the starting point is good and is a nice nod to historic bay/oriel windows while being contemporary looking as well.

3cdc must have more money for better architects I'm guessing..but seriously, this recent stuff is night and day compared to.mercer back in 2012. 

Agree about the sheen of the brick, hopefully it remembers the exterior of 21C. 

As to having more money, I would imagine being in an opportunity zone helps. Seems like this large array of projects and Model's projects above Findlay rely on opportunity zones to a significant degree. 

1 hour ago, ucgrady said:

I knew this was coming but did not realize it was the the parking lot where the Empire Theater once stood. 

large.jpg?1476934304

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

24 minutes ago, taestell said:

^ Same. Have we seen any renderings for what they plan to build on the lot just north of The Kruckmeyer?

This is included in the GBBN elevation showing adjacent building heights:

image.png.b992f557a646dee3fcc45708397574d4.png

2 hours ago, troeros said:

3cdc must have more money for better architects I'm guessing..but seriously, this recent stuff is night and day compared to.mercer back in 2012. 

quoted for truth.

I must be one of the few people here who doesn't hate One Mercer. It's nothing spectacular, but it's a modern building that just looks like a modern building. It's not trying to be faux-historic and it's not covered in a hodgepodge of random buildings materials like Current/USquare/The Gantry/Freeport Row in an attempt to "break up the facade."

• Like 2

They need to repeal unit density restrictions in OTR of 1 unit per 700 sf land area. You should not have to ask for a variance to put 18 units in a four story building like this. The market prevents the return of harmful tenement style densities, the height of the buildings are restricted, and there are no parking requirements. A density restriction is pointless and is nothing but a weapon for NIMBY neighbors to kill projects with. 

www.cincinnatiideas.com

We need a citywide form-based code so that developers can just build their project without asking the city for variances, as long as it complies with the criteria laid out in that code (minimum/maximum setbacks from the street, minimum/maximum heights, etc). But our mayor said form-based codes were "scary" and crancelled the planning department's efforts to implement them, so we're stuck with our current legacy zoning system for now.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2019 at 1:33 PM, JYP said:

I knew this was coming but did not realize it was the the parking lot where the Empire Theater once stood. 

The Empire Theater fiasco was a serious low point for the city.  Council + Charlie Luken were swindled, plus we lost a signature building that could have been rehabbed and enlivened that area by now. 

I just noticed that Vine Street from 15th to Liberty is closed to traffic for utility work related to the Meiners project. It's closed until 11/1, which seems like a long time to completely close a block of a major downtown street. Also it looked like interior demolition work was happening inside the Wielert's building and the other historic building immediately to the north of Wielert's. The old OTR Kroger has already been stripped of all signage and there was a security guard in the parking lot when I walked by earlier today, making sure no urbex'ers tried to get inside...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5a56.jpg