moonloop

Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: 3CDC Development and News

1 minute ago, Largue said:

While I understand it is a bigger, systemic issue, I still believe that property owners and landlords are at least partially responsible for the actions that occur from their tenants on their property

All I can say is to be vocal. Call the police when you see something, record if you can and send it news stations and then email to otr community housing a link with the video of there so called slum tenants they are housing and how you will go to every local newstation about the elicit activity they permit and how you will destroy there Goodwill and good reputation.

It's a harsh tactic but you won't believe how much fear can change an organization behavior.

19 minutes ago, taestell said:

I'm also pretty disappointed that nothing has happened yet with the properties that 3CDC and Brickstone Properties (now POAH) were going to redevelop. Multiple buildings they own on Main Street are still vacant and boarded up, creating dead spots on the street for questionable activity.

Sometimes I feel like the only one who cares about any development on main St is urban Sites... Thank God for them at least

52 minutes ago, Largue said:

While I understand it is a bigger, systemic issue, I still believe that property owners and landlords are at least partially responsible for the actions that occur from their tenants on their property

I agree.  Unfortunately, the dilemma is that many landlords are operating on razor-thin margins and quite literally can't afford to lose a tenant.  Not even for a month.  Plus, many landlords are intimidated when tenants threaten to pour concrete mix down the drain. 

If you're going to rent houses or buildings, you need to have a ton of cash in reserve so you can make repairs immediately and kick people out immediately.  You have to simply not care that someone caused $5,000+ in damage in spite.  You're going to make WAY more than that over time. 

Moved off-topic posts about poverty and SE Ohio into this thread:

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Women’s fashion boutique to open in Over-the-Rhine

Retailer will offer beauty services, karaoke and entertainment

CINCINNATI (April 12, 2019) – Myōōz (pronounced “muse”), a boutique and “one-stop shop” for women’s fashion, will open in Over-the-Rhine on Saturday, Apr. 13.

The retailer is taking over the tenant space located at 1525 Race Street. Myōōz is leasing the space from Cincinnati Center City Development Corp. (3CDC). The space was completed as part of 3CDC’s Abington Race & Pleasant project. The store will sell women’s clothing and accessories, and it will also offer beauty and styling services with an in-house make-up artist.

The shop is owned by 23-year-old entrepreneur Tyara Brooks, who said the name Myōōz is a play on her journey to find her own “muse.”

“I kept asking myself, ‘What is my muse?’” she said. “I realized I’m my own inspiration. I’m a creative force. I looked for retail spaces, and I came across 3CDC and they helped me put my vision together.”

Her clothing is hand-picked from sellers in LA and New York, she said. Brooks started working in retail at age 15, and she’s dreamt of opening her own boutique ever since.

Myōōz will also offer in-store entertainment, with a twist. Every other Thursday, Brooks will host a karaoke night. Customers who perform a song get 5 to 10 percent off their purchase, she said.

Store hours will be Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.; and Sundays, 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Washington Park deck to get permanent roof

The Cincinnati Center City Development Corp. will be putting a roof over the porch at Washington Park.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/04/24/washington-park-deck-to-get-permanent-roof.html

washington-park-roof-porch*1200xx1369-77

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

20 hours ago, Largue said:

I love "renderings" that are just screengrabs from Sketchup. At least put a LITTLE effort into it.

A lot of applications that go before the HCB only include elevations, with no 3D renderings. I don't blame 3CDC or City Parks for making this the extent of their design... you can see a few other views of the 3D model on page 14: https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/buildings/historic-conservation/historic-conservation-board/april-22-2019-staff-report-and-attachments/

I was bummed when I saw the tents come down recently because it was really nice to have the shade in the summer. I'm really glad that they're installing a permanent roof. Will be a great, long-term addition to the park.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Largue said:

I love "renderings" that are just screengrabs from Sketchup. At least put a LITTLE effort into it.

Maybe effort was put and they still posted an old image.

3cdc is filing an application to the HCB under the name 1400 Vine LLC, to demolish the Kroger building and construct a commercial parking lot. 

My question is...Does this mean there is a delay with the proposed infill project for the Kroger lot? It will be quite disappointing if we have to wait another handful of years to see movement on this lot by 3cdc...

I don't think there's ever been a proposed infill project. There's been an assumed infill project.

Very disappointing if this is true. It will be years before they build over a new surface lot. They won't do this for a 2 year period.

1 minute ago, ryanlammi said:

I don't think there's ever been a proposed infill project. There's been an assumed infill project.

Very disappointing if this is true. It will be years before they build over a new surface lot. They won't do this for a 2 year period.

No there were renderings shown (I believe some members of Cincy Business courrier were presented some renderings by 3cdc last year and they tweeted about this instance) so they definitely have a plan. 

Maybe it's a financing issue?

4th and Race, Fountain Square tower, new Convention HQ hotel...makes me think maybe 3cdc is running tight on money due to their recent project load?

Also, maybe they want to phase this out?

Meiners, and Behlen building this summer/Fall?

Then the rest of the historic buildings adjacent to the Behlen for phase 2 and the Weilert building and it's adjacent historic building for the last phase before working on the Kroger infill site?

That's the only logic I can think of. 

I can't imagine them creating a brand new paid surface lot with necessary infrastructure, permitting, etc just to build on top of it in 2021.

Have you seen drawings anywhere?

I can think of a few possible reasons 3CDC might build a temporary parking lot replacing the OTR Kroger:

• They think they can purchase the Grammer's Place properties along Walnut in a few years and roll all of those properties into one huge new development, covering most of that block
  • They believe that they won't be able to get office tenants for Meiners/Behlen unless they have more parking nearby, so they need a temporary lot immediately
  • They have decided to move forward with a new infill project replacing the cell phone store on Liberty first, so they have put the Kroger site on the back burner

It should also be noted that 3CDC also has some pretty substantial infrastructure for the parking lot at the SW corner of Central Parkway and Walnut (the former Monro) so I wouldn't expect that parking lot to be developed any time soon.

24 minutes ago, taestell said:

I can think of a few possible reasons 3CDC might build a temporary parking lot replacing the OTR Kroger:

• They think they can purchase the Grammer's Place properties along Walnut in a few years and roll all of those properties into one huge new development, covering most of that block
  • They believe that they won't be able to get office tenants for Meiners/Behlen unless they have more parking nearby, so they need a temporary lot immediately
  • They have decided to move forward with a new infill project replacing the cell phone store on Liberty first, so they have put the Kroger site on the back burner

It should also be noted that 3CDC also has some pretty substantial infrastructure for the parking lot at the SW corner of Central Parkway and Walnut (the former Monro) so I wouldn't expect that parking lot to be developed any time soon.

I was under the impression that the kroger infill development would also include some type of structured parking like the Mercer project. 

3 hours ago, troeros said:

I was under the impression that the kroger infill development would also include some type of structured parking like the Mercer project. 

It could but if they don't get the lots on Walnut, it probably won't be big enough.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

I've been told that the Kroger site will be a 100 space surface parking lot by November. Something was said about still needing to obtain certain parcels for the redevelopment project to move forward. 

16 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I've been told that the Kroger site will be a 100 space surface parking lot by November. Something was said about still needing to obtain certain parcels for the redevelopment project to move forward. 

Makes me wonder if this pertains to the Grammer owned lots facing Walnut

5 hours ago, ryanlammi said:

I can't imagine them creating a brand new paid surface lot with necessary infrastructure, permitting, etc just to build on top of it in 2021.

I believe the surface parking lot at Mercer and Vine was around for less than 3 years (2010ish - fall 2012) before they tore it up and began building Mercer Commons. Although that was a fairly basic parking lot without any lighting beyond the existing street lights.

17 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I would think that 3CDC would connect a new surface lot replacing the Kroger building with their existing lot on Walnut, just south of Mecca. It would be a pretty substantial lot.

The blue outline shows how big the temporary parking lot could be. The dotted blue outline could be included as well, depending on 3CDC's plans for the Wielert's building. The red outline is the former Grammer's Place site that I would bet 3CDC is trying to acquire as well.

IMG_0014.jpg

37 minutes ago, taestell said:

The blue outline shows how big the temporary parking lot could be. The dotted blue outline could be included as well, depending on 3CDC's plans for the Wielert's building. The red outline is the former Grammer's Place site that I would bet 3CDC is trying to acquire as well.

IMG_0014.jpg

Looking at that, it makes sense why 3cdc might want to hold off on redeveloping the kroger site until they can somehow acquire the grammer lot. 

I just hope whatever development occurs, they will preserve that small story building, instead of demolishing it like the Grammers initially wanted to. It would be nice to do something similar to what 3cdc did with 15th and Vine, in which the infill preserved and was made the sole standing building a part of it's development. 

It looks like they're planning to build another garage in the central part of the block, like they've done at Mercer Commons. Probably will see some plans once they acquire all the parcels with a piece of the center (@taestell's red square).

I hope 3CDC can acquire that property quickly.  Would hate to see this surface lot stay on valuable property for years.  

Brand design firm moving to new 3CDC office building in OTR

elm-industries*750xx2500-1407-0-268.jpg

A growing brand design firm is relocating to one of Cincinnati Center City Development Corp.’s three office projects in Over-the-Rhine.

Elm Industries, located at 1537 Race St./1542 Pleasant St., is a $7 million project that will transform an industrial building into 13,500 square feet of office space.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/05/02/exclusive-brand-design-firm-moving-to-new-3cdc.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Demolition of Over-the-Rhine Kroger approved

The Kroger store at 1420 Vine St. in Over-the-Rhine can be demolished and turned in to a parking lot, the Cincinnati Historic Conservation Board ruled on Monday.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/06/04/demolition-of-over-the-rhine-kroger-approved.html

parking-lot.jpg

Also in the June 3 HCB packet, 3CDC is going to build a 5-space parking lot on the empty lot at 1524 Pleasant.

I think I saw it on the HCB packet but kind of a cool detail showing buildings currently under construction, buildings in pre-development, and buildings that are currently landbanked.

3CDC pulls CityBeat’s boxes from street; newspaper exploring legal action

The Cincinnati Center City Development Corp. is removing CityBeat newspaper boxes from sidewalks in downtown and Over-the-Rhine, a move the weekly newspaper said could result in legal action on First Amendment grounds.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/06/19/3cdc-pulls-citybeat-s-boxes-from-street-newspaper.html

CityBeatBox_HB.5d0a421c5a313.jpg

City tells 3CDC to quit removing CityBeat’s boxes; organization plans to put them back

The Cincinnati Center City Development Corp. does not have the authority to remove CityBeat’s newspaper boxes from the streets of downtown and Over-the-Rhine, according to a memo from the city’s top lawyer to a city council member.

3CDC is already putting back the boxes it has removed, which CityBeatestimated at about 10, and is working on maintenance and appearance issues with the free weekly newspaper, according to a spokesman.

The city also told 3CDC to stop removing the boxes after news first broke last week, according to an email from Paula Boggs Muething, the city solicitor, to Councilman David Mann.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/06/24/city-tells-3cdc-to-quit-removing-citybeat-s-boxes.html

Greek food/Cafe/bakery coming to OTR

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/07/15/greek-cafe-coming-to-over-the-rhine.html?iana=hpmvp_cinci_news_headline

Loving otr being a multicultural hub for food. Still need legit Indian food, legit Mexican food (not Bakersfield), Ethiopian food, Cincinnati Food (Chili, Goetta, Larosas? Anything that is actually Cincy food related would be great), etc...

Still really excited to try Teak again once it opens up soon as well in otr. 

2 hours ago, troeros said:

This is actually super exciting to me. I LOVED getting bougatsa every morning while in Greece. I wonder if they will use the cream-based Thessaloniki style or the mizithra-based Cretan style... 

2 hours ago, troeros said:

Loving otr being a multicultural hub for food. Still need legit Indian food, legit Mexican food (not Bakersfield), Ethiopian food, Cincinnati Food (Chili, Goetta, Larosas? Anything that is actually Cincy food related would be great), etc...

Bridges Ethipoian will be on Court Street and Gomez Salsa is in OTR (more authentic than Bakersfield by far) and I believe Eckerlin has goetta. But I agree there's still a lot of missing pieces. Probably driven by the high rent prices that these types of businesses can't afford.

Now further proof (as if we needed more) that the OTR Community Council are a bunch of clowns with fake metal badges that they bought at the dollar store...

3cdc wants to develop new infill at 1400 Race, where a garden now stands.

3cdc even offered to move the garden else where in otr but the otr cc objectifies it because it's been a garden for 30 years and thus should always stay a garden for eternity.....even though buildings used to stand there...go figure. 

Edited by troeros

Community gardens play an important function for many people... and there are still plenty of buildings needing renovation and vacant lots that don't have community gardens on them throughout the neighborhood that could be prioritized. Community Councils play an important role in striking balance in a neighborhood; they aren't clowns, they are people who care and show up. If this were a trash lot, my opinion would be different. If 3CDC owned the property, my opinion would be different (unless OTR Holdings is code for 3CDC, and I didn't know that).

Edited by Chas Wiederhold
changed "are" to "aren't"

4 minutes ago, Chas Wiederhold said:

If 3CDC owned the property, my opinion would be different (unless OTR Holdings is code for 3CDC, and I didn't know that).

It is.

Is this the small corner lot opposite 1400 Race? Isn't Washington Park right across the street? Is a park of this type needed here?

-Friedrich Nietzsche