moonloop

Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: 3CDC Development and News

<b>3CDC to unveil more development projects</b>

By Jackie Demaline

Enquirer staff writer

Fountain Square may be a construction site now, but expect buzz to start building by spring. A national search for an experienced programming director is under way and a hire is expected to be announced by April. If all goes as planned, arts and entertainment will be a bold signature at the heart of downtown when Fountain Square unveils its $42 million makeover.

I am a HUGE Emery fan, I haven't heard anything about this.  There was an effort maybe 4-5 years ago, a committee formed, etc. but couldn't raise the money (I think it was MAYBE $4M)  The auditorium, though plain, is nearly acoustically perfect.

I feel much better about the possible success of OTR with 3CDC at the helm.  Whether you like them or not the group has gotten the job done in every project they've been involved with (both financially and physically).  I have faith that everyone will be shocked to find out that 3CDC has been hard at work in OTR and will have results in the near future.

Quiet rebirth in Over-the-Rhine

Developers launch $16.7M renovation

BY MARLA MATZER ROSE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Over-the-Rhine has taken its victories where it could get them in recent years. The neighborhood is one of stark contrasts, home to a nationally recognized collection of 19th-century Italianate buildings and a crime problem that residents and police say is rooted in the drug trade.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060326/NEWS01/603260422

Large scale development is really the only the way to clean up the drugs and crime. But it's discouraging to hear the Art Academy having a drop of enrollment since the move to OTR. In another article that was news to me was the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra considering moving from Music Hall. Things aren't happening fast enough even for them. It doesn't help that people like to throw road blocks every step of the way. There really needs to be a sense of urgency by everyone, city hall, police, residence. This could be the only chance to turn things around.

I feel there has been progress in the OTR over the past decade. It used to be where I found the whole neighborhood outside the main entertainment area threatening. It seems that the areas east of Walnut or even vine have become fairly safe. It seems that the area from Vine to the west is still a very rough area and there is a lot of progress to be made. Considering 10+ years ago the entire area north of Central Parkway was very rough shows that there has been significant progress. There is still a lot to go however. I wish the article would have touched on some of the successes in the OTR over the past 10 years.

I wish the article would have touched on some of the successes in the OTR over the past 10 years.

I agree, some coverage of the progress that has been made would be a nice step in the direction of turning the public's opinion of OTR for the better.  Instead, we get this gem:

Decades of inaction and reports now lying on dust-covered shelves stand in testament to the social and economic complexities in a neighborhood that, through it all, has attracted a trickle of new residents in recent years to a dozen or so new or renovated buildings.

There have been far more than a dozen building renovations in OTR in "recent years."  And while a "trickle" is more accurate than a "flood" or even a "stream" of new residents, I'm sure that the number of residents in these new or rehabbed apartments and condos is around 200-300, not just a few dozen as the article implies.

I got chills reading this article on Sunday.  Seeing the maps of how many and the clusters of bldgs. that 3CDC controls is encouraging.  3CDC has proven themselves to me thusfar and I only looked forward to every project they are involved with from now on.  The Washington Park area is on the cusp of a major turnaround.  When these bldgs are rehabbed, by 3CDC, the SCPA is complete, and the addition to Washington Park is complete this will be a completely gorgeous area.

Just north of this area is the Findlay Market District and then the Brewery District.  Both of these areas are also seeing an abundance of new investment and will too be reborn with new life/glory.

It seems as though each area throughout OTR is seeing its own little renaisance.  When these rebirths grow into one another you will see a GREAT OTR!!!

On another note:  I dont understand the idea of the symphony moving out of Music Hall.  If they have stuck around this long why not wait another 2-3 years for the rebirth of a national gem (OTR).

<i>Maybe this will help carve out an additional safe haven for the young artists types in OTR.</i>

<b>Theater troupe hopes new location brings more funds

Know Theatre in former nightclub near Art Academy</b>

Cincinnati Business Courier - March 31, 2006

by Dan Monk

Senior Staff Reporter

Over-the-Rhine's Know Theatre is hoping to grow attendance and triple revenue by moving to an abandoned nightclub one block south of the Art Academy of Cincinnati.

The move adds ballast to a burgeoning arts district in the southwestern corner of Over-the-Rhine, where developers are investing millions in new condominium, entertainment and ground-floor retail projects.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2006/04/03/story5.html

From the 4/5/06 Cincinnati Post:

Plan restores vacant buildings

By Joe Wessels

Post contributor

Fourteen vacant buildings around 12th and Vine in Over-the-Rhine would become home to 48 new condominiums and 12 apartments under a plan presented Tuesday.

Staff members of Cincinnati Center City Development Corporation - or 3CDC - explained the plan at Memorial Hall to an audience of about 50 people who included neighborhood and business leaders, residents and other business persons.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060405/NEWS01/604050339/1010/RSS01

please God lets see the plan happen and please God let it work.  It is SO essential OTR becomes a viable place to live for most of us.

The new face of OTR

B2B Equities partners work to rehab dozens of buildings

Cincinnati Business Courier - April 21, 2006by Lucy MaySenior Staff Reporter

Scaffolding and construction fences have replaced the street-corner drug dealing that once was visible from 12th and Vine streets. And the redevelopment of two buildings at 1133 and 1135 Vine St. on the southern edge of Over-the-Rhine is just the beginning.

If Cincinnati City Council approves a $2.4 million funding request in the coming weeks, B2B Equities and Rick Kimbler's North Point Group will begin renovating a dozen other buildings for the Cincinnati Center City Development Corp., or 3CDC.

Know Theatre Tribe rocks!  Support the Tribe - I have been to one performance at the old locale (which was cool but achingly small) and look forward to the new venue.  It is directly behind the Art Academy,   parking all over the place including new Gateway (Kroger) gararge.

GO GO GO GO GO

A neighborhood guy

Retired Kroger CEO working to help revive his beloved Over-the-Rhine

Cincinnati Business Courier - April 28, 2006by Lucy MaySenior Staff Reporter

When he was CEO of Kroger, Joe Pichler's skyscraper view of Over-the-Rhine reminded him of Prague, with its rooftops, church spires and old-world charm.

What he heard from Kroger's Vine Street headquarters was a different story.

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2006/05/01/story2.html?page=1

We may be seeing some action with some of these 3CDC (OTR Holdings) properties.

213 Odeon - permits in route

1201 Vine - applied for permits

1203 Vine - applied for permits

1205 Vine - applied for permits

1207 Vine - applied for permits

1211 Vine - applied for permits

213 Odeon is for the demolition of an outbuilding on the property.  The ones on Vine are for interior demo only.

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2006/06/26/story3.html?hbx=e_sw

Until at least 2010, Leeper to retain role

CINCINNATI BUSINESS COURIER - JUNE 23, 2006

The corporate titans who govern the Cincinnati Center City Development Corp. have extended the contract of agency chief executive Stephen Leeper through 2010.

And progress in Over-the-Rhine is at least two years ahead of where Pichler thought it would be when he agreed to chair 3CDC's Over-the-Rhine working group, he said.

"Steve has exceeded everybody's expectations, and we had high expectations to start out with," Pichler said. "We need him."

3CDC has spent $8 million in Over-the-Rhine to buy property there to be redeveloped by others. Already, the agency has about 60 condos and rental units in the works, Leeper said, adding that the goal is to have 100 units either under construction or completed each year with a constant pipeline ready to go.

Leeper acknowledged 3CDC's early work in the neighborhood was hampered by poor communication with agencies and residents there, many of whom felt the city's "suits" were swooping in to gentrify the troubled area without regard for a comprehensive plan for Over-the-Rhine created by those who live and work there.

But he said 3CDC has mended many of those relationships and assured the community that its goals are consistent with the comprehensive plan.

"We all can do better in terms of our communication and being as inclusive as we can in terms of process," said Andy Hutzel, director of operations for Over-the-Rhine Community Housing, an advocate and developer of affordable housing. "But I think he gets that affordable needs to be part of this revitalization process." ...

Zimmerman said it's too early to declare 3CDC's projects a success. After all, he said, the agency hasn't finished anything yet.

3CDC selects Dansby for job

Group working in Over-the-Rhine

BY JON NEWBERRY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The nonprofit development group charged with transforming Over-the-Rhine into a viable mixed-income neighborhood has tapped Darrick Dansby, president of SmartMoney Community Services since 2000, as its new development director for the neighborhood immediately north of downtown Cincinnati.

Dansby will take on his new assignment for the nonprofit Cincinnati Center City Development Corp., known as 3CDC, on July 31. The post is now held by Des Bracey, whose wife is being transferred out of town.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060629/BIZ01/606290345/1076/rss01

We may be seeing some action with some of these 3CDC (OTR Holdings) properties.

213 Odeon - permits in route

1201 Vine - applied for permits

1203 Vine - applied for permits

1205 Vine - applied for permits

1207 Vine - applied for permits

1211 Vine - applied for permits

213 Odeon is for the demolition of an outbuilding on the property.  The ones on Vine are for interior demo only.

I went on Cincinnati Advance's tour last Saturday, and we went through 1201 and 1203 Vine.  They are currently doing demo work, to be market rate condos.  1201 is a great building, with most of the interior trim intact, including a beautiful stair off of 12th Street (including a dumbwaiter).  The project manager from HGC said they were going to demo most of the interior walls, since that was the easiest.  It seemed that this building could have avoided that fate, with the 12' ceilings and all.

Over all, it seemed that the plans were decent.  They were combining a number of buildings to share a common elevator core, with gated parking behind in 1416-1418 W 12th Street vacant lots.

We also saw the Bank Cafe buildings across the street, which are to be dorms for the Art Academy.  Not too bad, though some of the choices were interesting to say the least (concrete topping slabs on the upper floors?).

Sorry, no pics.

^I think Greg Badger did concrete on top of all his floors on the Dunlap building, and it turned out pretty sharp looking.  I think the rationalization is that it covers all the deformities and makes a tight fire separation all at once.  Interesting.

3CDC sees promise, faces challenges in Over-the-Rhine

Bracey leaves position with hope for neighborhood

Cincinnati Business Courier - July 7, 2006by Lucy MaySenior Staff Reporter

Des Bracey started work at the Cincinnati Center City Development Corp. six months after 3CDC was formed in July 2003.

His mission as the private non-profit's Over-the-Rhine project manager was to begin making inroads in the historic neighborhood and help figure out the best way to help spur more revitalization there.

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2006/07/10/story8.html

Sixty units currently in progress, another 40 underway by year's end, and the capacity for 75-100 a year thereafter.  Added to existing residents, that would easily result in a critical mass of market rate residents within two years for some real businesses on Vine St. Things are looking up!

3CDC to focus on OTR

BY JON NEWBERRY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

As the new Fountain Square takes shape in the heart of downtown, the Cincinnati Central City Development Corp. also is focusing on Over-the-Rhine, where more than 100 vacant buildings and lots are under the control of 3CDC and other groups for future residential redevelopment.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060716/BIZ01/607160348

Here are a few shots of some stuff I saw around OTR

The corner of Central Pkwy. and Broadway, more new lofts!

63662673.jpg

Near the corner of Elliot and Broadway (completed rehab and new one in rear of pic)...

63662519.jpg

Vine St. ( I believe all of the following are 3CDC Projects)

63662559.jpg

The old People's Theatre I believe

63662542.jpg

63662579.jpg

63662586.jpg

The Bank Cafe Building and neighbor

63662594.jpg

Thanks for the update.Looks as tho things are starting to come together. It really does my soul good to see this happening. 3CDC (and others) is starting to push up Vine St!!!! I'm sorry, but I'm pissing my pants right now.That is exciting news!A healthy,resurgent Vine is critical to the sucess of OTR and ultimately to the revival of Cincinnati.Vine is amazing,its painful to see all that potential just sitting there-slowly rotting,deteriorating,disappearing.More and more good things are happening all the time;these are just the "signs" i've been looking for,and they are occurring much more frequently than realized. Forgive my gushing optimism, but having grown up in OTR, these are events I have long dreamed of. Quite possibly we're about to turn a corner here--KEEP THE GOOD NEWS COMIN'!!! Lets get OTR off of death-watch and well on the road to recovery. :clap:

I thought this was strictly a 3CDC project, but I guess the Art Academy is the main force behind it.

Student housing revamped

BY LORI KURTZMAN | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

OVER-THE-RHINE - Desiree Waltz toured her new home for the first time last week and was blown away.

The butter-yellow kitchen, the exposed brick, the private shower. Her boyfriend remarked that this was the kind of place people drop thousands of dollars on each month in New York.

Only this was Waltz's college dorm. And it was in Over-the-Rhine.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060807/NEWS01/608070377/1077

I would love to see the academy venture into some more student oriented housing, in and around, their bldg.  They look great and its a nice addition to the OTR landscape!

3CDC plans meetings

THE ENQUIRER

OVER-THE-RHINE - Cincinnati Center City Development Corp., the nonprofit agency that has bought scores of buildings for rehabilitation in Over-the-Rhine, has scheduled three public meetings to discuss the future of the neighborhood.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061019/NEWS01/610190391/1056/COL02

Residents of OTR offer ideas to 3CDC

By Joe Wessels

Post contributor

Big change in Over-the-Rhine starts with small groups.

That was the message brought to about 100 supporters and residents of Cincinnati's troubled neighborhood, as they gathered to begin a conversation with the Cincinnati Center City Development Corporation, or 3CDC, about what they would like to see changed or improved there. It was the first of three "rap" sessions planned by the group to get feedback and learn new ideas on how to tackle revitalizing the neighborhood.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061020/NEWS01/610200380

Sharing the vision for Over-the-Rhine

3CDC official hopes to win over skeptics

Cincinnati Business Courier - October 20, 2006by Lucy MaySenior Staff Reporter

Mark Bowen | Courier

Darrick Dansby is meeting with Over-the-Rhine residents and hopes they will share 3CDC’s enthusiasm for development plans.

View Larger For the past three years, the Cincinnati Center City Development Corp. has been buying property in Over-the-Rhine, gaining control in an effort to help transform the beautiful, troubled neighborhood.

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2006/10/23/story2.html?b=1161576000^1363699

Cincinnati, Life Breathes Anew in Riot-Scarred Area

By CHRISTOPHER MAAG

The New York Times

Published: November 25, 2006

CINCINNATI — A few years ago, Jim Moll, a real estate agent, turned to his friend Bill Baum, a developer, and asked whether anyone would ever sell condominiums on Vine Street, the epicenter of race riots here in 2001.

“Not in our lifetimes,” Mr. Moll recalls Mr. Baum replying.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/25/us/25cincy.html?em&ex=1164603600&en=dfab95c25ea61a91&ei=5087%0A

But early in the morning of April 7, 2001, Stephen Roach, a white police officer, shot and killed Timothy Thomas, an unarmed African-American, after a foot chase. A protest march two days later devolved into riots. Many Over-the-Rhine businesses were looted.

Man, do I hate three-sentence summaries of the riots...