REP4Cleveland216

Cleveland: Crime & Safety Discussion

On 10/7/2019 at 12:41 PM, troeros said:

Look I apologise for my strong language. It's one thing to hear when someone is shot to death because of drug related violence, an angry dispute, etc. By an large most shooters know the victim to some extent. 

But when it's a random stranger who was doing his job to earn a paycheck to support himself and gets brutally shot is just so horrible to hear. 

Violence by and large is brought by childhood/teenage trauma. No one wants to inheritely cause pain and suffering to others unless onset by a genetical psychological disorder (which is a different matter all together). 

I just think of these residents and have to stop and think how much pain and suffering they have experienced and it makes me want to cry. These shooters were once happy, smiling, laughing babies and there environment has ultimately damaged them to hell and back and it just makes me want to breakdown because I can honestly feel the pain, the suffering, the hurt. So much damn hurt...and what can we do to help? Pretty much nothing. So the pain and suffering will continue for them, and their babies. A never ending cycle. 

I hear ya, but it's important not to unduly group the victims with the perps.   Yes, some of the residents and a lot of the politicians (in office and otherwise) qualify as enablers.  But assuming people are your adversaries at best is a self fulfilling prophecy if there ever was one.

I would say violent outlooks are caused more by role models than trauma.   The solution:  it has to be internal.   Start with some modicum of respect for innocent life.  Hell, even organized crime had that, fifty years ago.   And if you're in power, don't be afraid to call out the problem people.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

I hear ya, but it's important not to unduly group the victims with the perps.   Yes, some of the residents and a lot of the politicians (in office and otherwise) qualify as enablers.  But assuming people are your adversaries at best is a self fulfilling prophecy if there ever was one.

I would say violent outlooks are caused more by role models than trauma.   The solution:  it has to be internal.   Start with some modicum of respect for innocent life.  Hell, even organized crime had that, fifty years ago.   And if you're in power, don't be afraid to call out the problem people.   

But that's the thing they didn't have role models. They were abandoned like dirt. Absent fathers, mother's with 6 kids, no one cared, no one cares. Why should they care about there life? Someone else's? They are gone, always was since they took their first breath in this world. I want to give them a hug, show them I care. Somehow. 

• Like 1
  • Poison 1

On 10/7/2019 at 12:41 PM, troeros said:

Look I apologise for my strong language. It's one thing to hear when someone is shot to death because of drug related violence, an angry dispute, etc. By an large most shooters know the victim to some extent. 

But when it's a random stranger who was doing his job to earn a paycheck to support himself and gets brutally shot is just so horrible to hear. 

Violence by and large is brought by childhood/teenage trauma. No one wants to inheritely cause pain and suffering to others unless onset by a genetical psychological disorder (which is a different matter all together). 

I just think of these residents and have to stop and think how much pain and suffering they have experienced and it makes me want to cry. These shooters were once happy, smiling, laughing babies and there environment has ultimately damaged them to hell and back and it just makes me want to breakdown because I can honestly feel the pain, the suffering, the hurt. So much damn hurt...and what can we do to help? Pretty much nothing. So the pain and suffering will continue for them, and their babies. A never ending cycle. 

You lumped a lot of people into one bag.  That is ridiculous no matter how many times you apologize.  it's implicit bias.  I live on the eastside and resent being labeled a savage.

You write this as if every person who is not at a certain financial or social status is a criminal or lowlife.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

You lumped a lot of people into one bag.  That is ridiculous no matter how many times you apologize.  it's implicit bias.  I live on the eastside and resent being labeled a savage.

You write this as if every person who is not at a certain financial or social status is a criminal or lowlife.

That's not what implying at all. I'm saying poverty and social status is the catalyst towards criminal behavior. There have been numerous countless studies done on the link between socioeconomics and the vulnerability towards increased violence and criminal behavior. I wrote a whole thesis on this very subject matter in grad school. 

Calling them savages was incorrect and wrong of me and I sincerely apologise for that indecent comment.

Edited by troeros

1 minute ago, troeros said:

That's not what implying at all. I'm saying poverty and social status is the catalyst towards criminal behavior. There have been numerous countless studies done on the link between socioeconomics and the vulnerability towards increased violence and criminal behavior. I wrote a whole thesis on this very subject matter in grad school. 

Calling them savages was incorrect and wrong of me and I sincerely apologise for that indecent comment.

I only know what you've written.  Not what you "mean".  I don't care what you're thesis is about, you have labeled a group as one thing.  

I'm done with this, we are not going to agree.

15 hours ago, troeros said:

But that's the thing they didn't have role models. They were abandoned like dirt. Absent fathers, mother's with 6 kids, no one cared, no one cares. Why should they care about there life? Someone else's? They are gone, always was since they took their first breath in this world. I want to give them a hug, show them I care. Somehow. 

Everybody has role models.  What they didn't have was good role models.   For example, every son of a single mom saw her boyfriends as role models, no matter how much she (and her guy) didn't want that.  That's human nature.   I have to watch for that myself, since I have a daughter.

Barring that, the guys who had "respect" on the street are their role models.

Correlation is not necessarily causation, and pre-providing excuses can be as bad as dismissal

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

I live there too, and MTS and I are pretty close to as different as it gets here, outlook wise anyway.

Both of us are light years away, mindset wise, from the perps of this crime.

21 minutes ago, KJP said:

WTF??

Woman dead after being thrown out of car on I-90 in downtown Cleveland during rush-hour

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/10/woman-dead-after-being-thrown-out-of-car-on-i-90-in-downtown-cleveland-during-rush-hour.html

Facebook version, from someone who claims to be her cousin, says abusive boyfriend did it.   She was pregnant, too.  😞   I believe that's double murder in Ohio, say hi to the needle.

• Sad 1

On 10/22/2019 at 7:46 AM, E Rocc said:

Facebook version, from someone who claims to be her cousin, says abusive boyfriend did it.   She was pregnant, too.  😞   I believe that's double murder in Ohio, say hi to the needle.

OMG. This is terrible  I hope they catch this SOB.  

9 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

OMG. This is terrible  I hope they catch this SOB.  

Now the bf is saying she jumped out after an argument, and the cops seem to be considering the possibility.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, E Rocc said:

Now the bf is saying she jumped out after an argument, and the cops seem to be considering the possibility.

This is actually more believable. I mean, how does someone throw another person out of a moving car, while driving? Still terrible.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Love the vigilante tactic. But nearly striking two people, one a child, with a 2,000 pound weapon should be more than a minor misdemeanor.

Our motor vehicle penalties really are much to lax.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

Love the vigilante tactic. But nearly striking two people, one a child, with a 2,000 pound weapon should be more than a minor misdemeanor.

Our motor vehicle penalties really are much to lax.

That's because we treat driving as a right rather that a privilege. 

^ Very true, but how else can we get a government ID card, er, I mean driving license, into everyone’s hands?

• Like 1

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

• Poison 2

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/11/man-threatens-to-kill-downtown-cleveland-bar-employee-during-robbery-police-say.html

Harris is a registered sex offender who has been convicted in 19 felony cases since 1994, including for burglary in 2019. He was sentenced to three years in prison in 2005 for abduction and gross sexual imposition. The victims in the case were 13 and 14 years old.

The fact this guy was ever allowed out of jail is really an indictment on the justice system. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, surfohio said:

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/11/man-threatens-to-kill-downtown-cleveland-bar-employee-during-robbery-police-say.html

Harris is a registered sex offender who has been convicted in 19 felony cases since 1994, including for burglary in 2019. He was sentenced to three years in prison in 2005 for abduction and gross sexual imposition. The victims in the case were 13 and 14 years old.

The fact this guy was ever allowed out of jail is really an indictment on the justice system. 

Whatever happened to "three strikes and you're out"?

53 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

Whatever happened to "three strikes and you're out"?

Apparently in Cuyahoga County it's "nineteen strikes and please keep terrorizing the community, thanks." 

• Sad 1

1575 Merwin used to be "Club Alchemy", no stranger to such things but long since closed.  The Flatiron is next door but closes much earlier.

Unlicensed club in operation?

1575.jpg

• Sad 1

Might be a rave.

Not a good Saturday night/Sunday morning. This would be a bad month for a large Canadian city....

Edited by KJP
  • Sad 1