Guest KJP

Cleveland: Scranton Peninsula: Development and News

Didn't know what thread to put this in, but I think this would be most appropriate.

I LOVEEEE this house, though I'd never live in it. I think it's an incredibly cool little spot, and Columbus Rd hill in general has a lot of great spots like this.

Since this picture was taken, it's been entirely decorated and a cool, colorful tile pattern has been added to the outside.

Behind the pull-down shutters is a really cool entryway where the owner's keep a chair as well

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4870878,-81.7004418,3a,75y,103.39h,83.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl1He6UY-11wvZTRmqmS-ig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Someone's gonna tear that down and build a townhouse.

Didn't know what thread to put this in, but I think this would be most appropriate.

I LOVEEEE this house, though I'd never live in it. I think it's an incredibly cool little spot, and Columbus Rd hill in general has a lot of great spots like this.

Since this picture was taken, it's been entirely decorated and a cool, colorful tile pattern has been added to the outside.

Behind the pull-down shutters is a really cool entryway where the owner's keep a chair as well

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4870878,-81.7004418,3a,75y,103.39h,83.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl1He6UY-11wvZTRmqmS-ig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Someone's gonna tear that down and build a townhouse.

Lol I've gotta get an updated pic for you guys

Why couldn't they save this historic building?? I'm interested to learn what is happening here, as the property is still owned by Scranton-Averell as it has been for at least 40 years.....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3046&CASE=DF 2018-116

1920 SCRANTON ROAD DEMOLITION

Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Downtown/Flats Case #  DF 2018-116

Address:1920 Scranton Road

Company:Cutting Edge

Architect:

Description:

The proposed complete demolition of an existing multistory vacant building.

1920 Scranton Rd-Aug2016.JPG

1920 Scranton Rd-Aug2016-2.JPG

Edited by KJP

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

10 minutes ago, mrclifton88 said:

Ugh I do not like this. Those old buildings down there are so unique... speaking of which, how old is this building?

County records say they date to 1880.

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

This is apparently who "Cutting Edge" is and may be relocating from just up the street:

Cutting Edge Stone

Map & Directions

Be the first to review!

2296 Scranton Rd, Cleveland, OH 44113

(216) 696-3911

BTW, Scranton Averell owns their current site as well.

Stoneworks acquires Cutting Edge Granite

https://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/features/business/stoneworks-acquires-cutting-edge-granite/article_a9bd21bc-37e1-11e6-9877-8f4a5eb4d103.html

2296 Scranton-CuttingEdge.JPG

Edited by KJP

@simplythis see posts above 

On 11/30/2018 at 11:53 AM, KJP said:

County records say they date to 1880.

CLEVELAND STORAGE COMPANY
1944 Scranton Avenue

In 1884, to serve the storage and transshipment needs of the rapidly industrializing Flats area, the Cleveland Storage Company constructed a four-story, brick and wood beam warehouse, 180 feet by 120 feet, designed by J. S. Watterson. The warehouse’s Scranton Avenue site had easy access to the Cuyahoga River, as well as three railroad lines, Cleveland Chamber of Commerce and St. Louis, Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, and the Erie Railroad. An 1884 advertisement stated, “We call your attention to the advantages offered by our warehouse . . especially to that large class of merchants to whom it is an advantage to have a stock of goods in this city from which to supply all small orders in broken lots, or for quick delivery to any desired point. We are prepared to receive pig iron, iron ore, copper, lumber, dry goods, canned goods, household goods, . .” The warehouse also had a large cold storage capacity for storing fruit, butter, eggs, and other perishable goods. In 1890 the warehouse expanded. J. S. Watterson designed a two-story brick and wood-beam building, 47 feet by 200 feet, which had three additional stories added in 1895. In 1895 a two-story building, 94 feet by 43 feet, was added. The buildings are used for storage today. The cold storage area no longer exists.

[Cleveland City Directory: 1884-1885 14 (Cleveland, 1884): 129.] - From the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER)

• Like 1

There is an article about Great Lakes and their land on the Peninsula. Not much new info but they talk generally about the beer industry and expanding into a new facility.

Great Lakes Brewing Co. expansion: What will become of Scranton Road Peninsula land?

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2019/01/great-lakes-brewing-co-expansion-what-will-become-of-scranton-road-peninsula-land.html

Doesn't sound like they're near to coming up with a final design let alone starting construction anytime soon.

Cool new video posted a few days ago......

• Like 2

First new home on Scranton Peninsula in probably 150-200 years. Interesting that it's only one home -- a model, I assume? Although Googling the address shows 2033 Carter to be right in the middle of the Thunderbird site, not on Lake Link property closer to Columbus Road....

Board of Zoning Appeals

MARCH 18, 2019

9:30 Calendar No. 19-24:

2033 Carter Road Ward 3 Kerry McCormack 14 Notices

Lake Link LLC., owner, proposes to erect a 3 story 2,967 square foot single family residence with an attached garage in a K3 Local Retail Business District. The owner appeals for relief from the strict application the following sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances: 1. Section 355.05(a) which states that the Minimum Lot area required is 4800 square feet and the appellant is proposing 2,643 square feet. 2. Section 357.09(b)(2)(B) which states that the Required Interior Side yard is 11.25 feet and the appellant is proposing 5 feet and 1 foot. This section also states that the aggregate width of the side yards on the same parcel shall not be less than 10 feet and the appellant is proposing 6 feet. 3. Section 357.08(b)(2) which states that the depth of required rear yard shall not be less than ½ the height of the main building or in this case 21 feet 5 inches and a 20 foot rear yard is proposed. 4. Section 341.02(b) which states that City Planning approval is required prior to the issuance of a building permit. (Filed February 12, 2019)

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2019/crr03-18-2019.pdf

Edited by KJP

On 3/5/2019 at 1:20 PM, RMB said:

I would assume it's one of these:

http://www.hortonharper.com/work/carter-road/

Looks like same developer is registered to the LLC

Ahhhhh ... I was wondering about this sign that I just noticed today as I enjoyed my routine Sunday walk along Carter Road. I realized this wasn't part of the proposed Thunderbird development a bit further down the road ...

These townhomes look very nice, but I'm not a fan of removing all of that lush forestry from the hillside.

Oh well, such is the price of progress.

I've been walking this lonely and desolate stretch of Carter Road for over a decade. I've always relished the serenity and the fact that it was almost always devoid of vehicular traffic and people ... It certainly seems that those days are going to be behind me.

IMG_20190310_135631423.jpg

Edited by John D. Baumgardner
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, John D. Baumgardner said:

These townhomes look very nice, but I'm not a fan of removing all of that lush forestry from the hillside.

Oh well, such is the price of progress.

IMG_20190310_135631423.jpg

I would never want to see that area cleared of legit ‘forestry’ but I believe it was Steven Litt who mentioned there’s a significant amount of invasive species along Irishtown Bend/Scranton Peninsula.

• Like 1

Scranton-Peninsula-Thunderbird-revised-M

MONDAY, MARCH 11, 2019

New HQ may land on Scranton Peninsula

With roughly 80 acres of land, Cleveland's Scranton Peninsula is practically a blank canvas for a developer to pursue their SimCity dreams along a navigable waterway in the heart of a major city. And someone has just planted a big flag on Scranton Peninsula, the largely vacated expanse of land nearly surrounded by the Cuyahoga River a mile south of Public Square.

....Released on March 11, a new marketing brochure shows a glassy, 11-story, cube-shaped corporate headquarters rising next to the planned Great Lakes brewery, along cobblestone streets and overlooking the Cuyahoga River and Columbus Road peninsula. Three of the stories appear to be for parking, above a ground-floor level of retail and/or restaurants.

The headquarters building bears an obscure sign "Tenants Name" on the facade. And the marketing piece encourages a headquarters tenant to locate here, suggesting that an end user isn't the firm who is under contract for Lot A, but rather another developer or investor.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/03/new-hq-may-land-on-scranton-peninsula.html

Edited by KJP
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I've noticed that in Google Earth with the 3D buildings layer enabled, the crown of Key Tower disappears from certain angles, including the west side.

On 3/10/2019 at 10:52 PM, MuRrAy HiLL said:

“ Starting in the $750,000s”

Wow.

They're attracting the bored empty nesters from Chagrin Falls and Brecksville.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, G00pie said:

The more the merrier i always say!   bring them all downtown!!!

Suburbs are really having to compete with Cleveland, and its great.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Oldmanladyluck said:

More images... with part of the development under contract already (not including Great Lakes Brewery)...

image.thumb.png.32ae6287c3ec6e4981bdaeacad31d744.png

image.thumb.png.62c18db10cb6b7152d4ec5447c34ecf6.png

image.thumb.png.a35d5267a5acbb563a692b2e6de615f1.png

image.thumb.png.6df0bd3ed8e6a267ee30c31c984de315.png

The thing that sucks about this area is that the transit access isn't super strong although its close-ish to a lot of transit. Maybe if it's built up something can serve it as a connector to Downtown or W. 25th.

12 minutes ago, imjustinjk said:

The thing that sucks about this area is that the transit access isn't super strong although its close-ish to a lot of transit. Maybe if it's built up something can serve it as a connector to Downtown or W. 25th. 

If you look at that overhead shot, all you would need is a pedestrian connector to Carnegie (the south side ideally) to put it into a short walking distance from the W. 25th station.

Edit: Wow, very wrong on that one.  It's a lot further down Carnegie than I thought.

image.png

Edited by tj111
being wrong

1 minute ago, tj111 said:

If you look at that overhead shot, all you would need is a pedestrian connector to Carnegie (the south side ideally) to put it into a short walking distance from the W. 25th station.

Moreno can put in his gondola/tramway idea here lol

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, GISguy said:

Moreno can put in his gondola/tramway idea here lol

If the aerial-tram idea could work anywhere, why not from Scranton Peninsula right into Tower City (as long as it could clear commercial river traffic)?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tj111 said:

Edit: Wow, very wrong on that one.  It's a lot further down Carnegie than I thought.

That's a distance that can feel very short or very long depending on the amount of street life. It'd be totally reasonable if the walk was pleasant enough.

30 minutes ago, tj111 said:

image.png

A trolley route to connect to Ohio city has been a very frequent request for RTA. Once FEB is built up and if Scranton gets built up I'm sure that it could be a real possibility to have a trolley run through the flats from RTA HQ to Westside Market. 

Edit: downside would be bridges raising for barges lol. Could just loops around the peninsula, but it'd be very attractive to connect to WS market/provide access to the redline.

flatsroute.JPG

Edited by imjustinjk

How much money would be required for the return of a neighborhood circulator (we called it The Circ) specifically for the Peninsula?  It could travel between the Peninsula, W. 25th, and the East Bank if there was enough demand.

12 minutes ago, CleCaneFan said:

If the aerial-tram idea could work anywhere, why not from Scranton Peninsula right into Tower City (as long as it could clear commercial river traffic)?

It can clear river traffic if the lift/descent starts/end in the middle of Scranton Peninsula. I posted a graphic earlier showing how it could work. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldmanladyluck said:

How much money would be required for the return of a neighborhood circulator (we called it The Circ) specifically for the Peninsula?  It could travel between the Peninsula, W. 25th, and the East Bank if there was enough demand.

They trolleys have corporate and civic sponsorship to alleviate costs and make them free. 

http://www.riderta.com/news/rta-transit-leader-selling-naming-rights-sponsorships

In 2006, RTA introduced Downtown trolley service that was free with a smile. The popular service – which now carries up to 6,000 passengers a day – was initially underwritten by a single source, such as Destination Cleveland(the local convention and visitor’s bureau), the Corner Alley entertainment venue, or Dollar Bank.

Later, when service doubled, the Downtown Cleveland Alliance coordinated a campaign that garnered 14 more sponsors. Although naming rights were not sold, the names of all donors appear on every vehicle. The service remains free today, and is extremely popular with large events, such as the 2016 Republican National Convention.

Ridership when it first began was around 375,000 and now the trolley service provides about 1,500,000 rides a year.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jws said:

That's a distance that can feel very short or very long depending on the amount of street life. It'd be totally reasonable if the walk was pleasant enough.

Looks like it’s about a ten minute walk from the Rapid station if you walk down Columbus. Walking up that hill might not be the most pleasant trek though.