Cleveland: Scranton Peninsula: Development and News

Guest KJP

57 minutes ago, Oldmanladyluck said:

More images... with part of the development under contract already (not including Great Lakes Brewery)...

image.thumb.png.32ae6287c3ec6e4981bdaeacad31d744.png

image.thumb.png.62c18db10cb6b7152d4ec5447c34ecf6.png

image.thumb.png.a35d5267a5acbb563a692b2e6de615f1.png

image.thumb.png.6df0bd3ed8e6a267ee30c31c984de315.png

The thing that sucks about this area is that the transit access isn't super strong although its close-ish to a lot of transit. Maybe if it's built up something can serve it as a connector to Downtown or W. 25th.

12 minutes ago, imjustinjk said:

The thing that sucks about this area is that the transit access isn't super strong although its close-ish to a lot of transit. Maybe if it's built up something can serve it as a connector to Downtown or W. 25th. 

If you look at that overhead shot, all you would need is a pedestrian connector to Carnegie (the south side ideally) to put it into a short walking distance from the W. 25th station.

Edit: Wow, very wrong on that one.  It's a lot further down Carnegie than I thought.

image.png

Edited by tj111
being wrong

1 minute ago, tj111 said:

If you look at that overhead shot, all you would need is a pedestrian connector to Carnegie (the south side ideally) to put it into a short walking distance from the W. 25th station.

Moreno can put in his gondola/tramway idea here lol

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, tj111 said:

Edit: Wow, very wrong on that one.  It's a lot further down Carnegie than I thought.

That's a distance that can feel very short or very long depending on the amount of street life. It'd be totally reasonable if the walk was pleasant enough.

30 minutes ago, tj111 said:

image.png

A trolley route to connect to Ohio city has been a very frequent request for RTA. Once FEB is built up and if Scranton gets built up I'm sure that it could be a real possibility to have a trolley run through the flats from RTA HQ to Westside Market. 

Edit: downside would be bridges raising for barges lol. Could just loops around the peninsula, but it'd be very attractive to connect to WS market/provide access to the redline.

flatsroute.JPG

Edited by imjustinjk

12 minutes ago, CleCaneFan said:

If the aerial-tram idea could work anywhere, why not from Scranton Peninsula right into Tower City (as long as it could clear commercial river traffic)?

It can clear river traffic if the lift/descent starts/end in the middle of Scranton Peninsula. I posted a graphic earlier showing how it could work. 

• Like 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

1 minute ago, Oldmanladyluck said:

How much money would be required for the return of a neighborhood circulator (we called it The Circ) specifically for the Peninsula?  It could travel between the Peninsula, W. 25th, and the East Bank if there was enough demand.

They trolleys have corporate and civic sponsorship to alleviate costs and make them free. 

http://www.riderta.com/news/rta-transit-leader-selling-naming-rights-sponsorships

In 2006, RTA introduced Downtown trolley service that was free with a smile. The popular service – which now carries up to 6,000 passengers a day – was initially underwritten by a single source, such as Destination Cleveland(the local convention and visitor’s bureau), the Corner Alley entertainment venue, or Dollar Bank.

Later, when service doubled, the Downtown Cleveland Alliance coordinated a campaign that garnered 14 more sponsors. Although naming rights were not sold, the names of all donors appear on every vehicle. The service remains free today, and is extremely popular with large events, such as the 2016 Republican National Convention.

Ridership when it first began was around 375,000 and now the trolley service provides about 1,500,000 rides a year.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jws said:

That's a distance that can feel very short or very long depending on the amount of street life. It'd be totally reasonable if the walk was pleasant enough.

Looks like it’s about a ten minute walk from the Rapid station if you walk down Columbus. Walking up that hill might not be the most pleasant trek though.

5 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

Looks like it’s about a ten minute walk from the Rapid station if you walk down Columbus. Walking up that hill might not be the most pleasant trek though.

Are you factoring in the lower entrance to TC on Canal Rd? Its not super far, but its not very attractive to pedestrians.

Edited by imjustinjk

5 minutes ago, Florida Guy said:

The flats/scranton can be difficult to navigate. One of a few areas of Cleveland where I can still get lost. Limited access to get in and out.

With the right development and planning I think it could improve a lot. It’s basically a blank canvas. With something transformational like thunderbird (hate the name so much lol) it could really help. But yeah I’ve gotten turned around down there going between my apartment downtown and my friends place in the West Bank. 

They could have paid homage by naming it something relevant to the location. Don’t like the name or the ridiculous thunderbird logo on the side of the building. Other than the name this development is long overdue and it is nice to see that it is finally happening.  

Edit: Possibly they are paying homage to the Indians that came before but I still don't care for it.

Edited by Florida Guy
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, imjustinjk said:

Are you factoring in the lower entrance to TC on Canal Rd? Its not super far, but its not very attractive to pedestrians.

I was just talking about walking from the station to Scranton peninsula. Shoulda clarified, my b!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Florida Guy said:

They could have paid homage by naming it something relevant to the location. Don’t like the name or the ridiculous thunderbird logo on the side of the building. Other than the name this development is long overdue and it is nice to see that it is finally happening.  

Edit: Possibly they are paying homage to the Indians that came before but I still don't care for it.

In a city with as rich of a history as Cleveland you would think it would be pretty easy to find better naming conventions than something cheesy like Thunderbird. There is indigenous symbology for the thunderbird in the Great Lakes region but I’m not sure if that’s what they’re going with? Hopefully. 

What does it mean for development that site A is under contract?

• Like 1

Are the 3 lift bridges in good working order? In the past I've driven through the area and at times one or more of the bridges were closed. Of course there is access from the neck of the peninsula but having all 3 bridges available would seem pretty important to any developer looking to build.

16 minutes ago, cadmen said:

Are the 3 lift bridges in good working order? In the past I've driven through the area and at times one or more of the bridges were closed. Of course there is access from the neck of the peninsula but having all 3 bridges available would seem pretty important to any developer looking to build.

The Eagle Avenue bridge closed 10+ years ago and is permanently in the up position. It'd probably have to be rebuilt if they wanted to reopen it (hopefully they do!). The other two are operational.

edit: Pics!

https://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/photosviewer.php?bridgebrowser=ohio/eaglelift/&gallerynum=1&gallerysize=3

Edited by Mendo
  • Thanks 1

Two out of four, actually. One of them is the former Big Four railroad bridge next to the Carter Road lift bridge. I've wondered about how to use it for a modern light-rail line or a heritage trolley, perhaps linking Ohio City or Tremont to downtown (and beyond, running it to Brahtenal or Chinatown/East 55th-Euclid).

• Like 3

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I saw the Thunderbird site map was updated late last week to show that area in purple but they did not have any kind of key to identify what the purple coding meant. Still no information yet as to who has Lot A under contract.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks anyway. Found out it is Hemingway who is buying Lot A. They apparently don't have an end user yet. But I don't doubt they will soon.

Correction: big news in 3-2-1....

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1

Pittsburgh-Edge1909+Scranton+Peninsula+e

THURSDAY, MAY 2, 2019

Flats' Scranton Peninsula may develop quickly

Sometimes you just never know when the right ingredients will come together to turn what should be a hot development site into a hot development site. Consider Scranton Peninsula -- a post-industrial setting just 1,500 feet as the crow flies from downtown Cleveland's Public Square.

...One of the biggest new uses to come to Scranton Peninsula appears to be Cleveland-based NRP Group who, according to two sources, has a contract to buy the 7.44 acre Lot A of the Thunderbird development. On it, NRP Group reportedly plans to build about 325 apartments in several buildings about five to six stories tall.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/05/flats-scranton-peninsula-may-develop.html

Edited by KJP
  • Like 12
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2

BTW, I'd love to add this photo to my article above, but I think I'll save it for a future story. Below the video, I stitched together two screen shots from this Aerial Agents video of Scranton Peninsula...

....so that the entire peninsula as well as downtown Cleveland can be seen in one view:

Scranton Peninsula-Aerial Agents-tallview-s.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

From the recent Crain's Article on the GLBC CEO.

Strategically, Great Lakes has been demonstrating their ability to innovate and the Scranton project is going to be fantastic. It’s smart that they’ve been thoughtful about that investment decision in the very chaotic craft beer industry. The developing vision promises to lead to a one-of-a-kind jewel for Cleveland. I’ve been very proud of what we did in my time there. I’m excited to watch things I was part of starting come to fruition and I’m really grateful to Pat and Dan for the opportunity to play a part in their story.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Downtown/Flats Design Review Case Report

THE PENINSULA

Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Downtown/Flats Case #  DF 2019-063

Address: Carter Road

Company: The NRP Group LLC

Architect: BKV Group

Description:

The construction of new residential structures on existing vacant land.

Notes: 

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3263&CASE=DF 2019-063

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Clefan98 said:

Downtown/Flats Design Review Case Report

THE PENINSULA

Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Downtown/Flats Case #  DF 2019-063

Address: Carter Road

Company: The NRP Group LLC

Architect: BKV Group

Description:

The construction of new residential structures on existing vacant land.

Notes: 

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3263&CASE=DF 2019-063

Good to see this going forward! 

its so great to finally see renders in the flesh so to speak of exactly what we have all dreamed about here. 

i almost can't believe how 'right' they are getting it.

yes i think when it starts this will go up quickly.

at least the residential.

but wow what a cool place for a live/work environment, so hopefully the business/office side of it takes off as well.

23 minutes ago, Klingaling87 said:

Sorry if I’m missing something, but are there renderings for this NRP project? Is it part of the overall Thunderbird development?

i dk, but i just meant the townhomes render and the tb project in general -- its a great plan at least -- i guess we see what comes of it all in reality?

spacer.png

1 hour ago, StapHanger said:

Given the meh design quality of past NRP projects, I'm going to be nervously holding my breath till we see some renderings...

Hopefully they can do a better job of "place-making" than exists in battery park.  Walking around the edison there feels like you're in the suburbs, not the city.  Hopefully they can design something more urban here.

• Like 1

From a place making perspective, Thunderbird looks really exciting- lots of odd angled intersections and kinks in the street plan will offer lots of chances to create unique locations and terminal views, lots of streets row's extending to the water's edge should make the river feel like an integral part of the neighborhood even in the interior streets, as well as highlighting views of Downtown and the bridges in the rest of the Flats.  Of course, execution will matter!

• Like 4

Interesting. I was told NRP might go forward after Great Lakes got the final OK for its Scranton Peninsula project. Looks like the timeline is reversed.

• Thanks 1

I'm also not a big fan of this, although in trying to see the positive:  (1) this is just an abandoned field, so several hundred residents is better; (2) this hopefully spurs some mixed use development on the other plots; and (3) the parking is largely shielded from street view and lines the train tracks.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:49 PM, Eastside said:

"According to plans submitted to the city, the two five-story buildings would contain a total of 181 suites and the townhouse portion of the project would have 18." 

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/nrp-group-plans-scranton-peninsula-project 

image.png

Seeing this proposal has me wondering if there is a way the city could intervene and take back pieces of parcels to establish right-of-ways to provide some order to avoid what seems may end up being an endless sea of parking -- each parcel of land an island unto itself with no cohesive urban fabric (like the aspirational renderings). This seems suburban and gives prominence to cars (surface parking and no garages) and river views (for the townhomes) - that may very well not remain with new development in front of them. It's only one image but seems there may be issues to be concerned with. From this image, there seems to be no forethought about what will neighbor the site and how it will only be a part of surrounding context; it seems some rules should be in place with local policy with a large swath of land being so tabula rasa and ripe for a strong development.

I'm seeking input. Could the city take some charge here?

Edited by bdaily
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, gg707 said:

I'm also not a big fan of this, although in trying to see the positive:  (1) this is just an abandoned field, so several hundred residents is better; (2) this hopefully spurs some mixed use development on the other plots; and (3) the parking is largely shielded from street view and lines the train tracks.

Sorry if this question seems dumb, but are these renderings related to or in conflict with the Thunderbird project? It seems as though it doesn't impede on the Great Lakes Brewing Co. land directly to the south (right in the image), but I'm curious about the rest...

4 minutes ago, Geowizical said:

Sorry if this question seems dumb, but are these renderings related to or in conflict with the Thunderbird project? It seems as though it doesn't impede on the Great Lakes Brewing Co. land directly to the south (right in the image), but I'm curious about the rest...

It's not clear there ever was a "Thunderbird project." There was a land purchase, marketing materials, and now the second sale of a chunk to third parties who will actually design and develop adjacent but essentially unrelated projects. 

Edited by StapHanger
  • Like 3

On 7/10/2019 at 2:25 PM, X said:

From a place making perspective, Thunderbird looks really exciting- lots of odd angled intersections and kinks in the street plan will offer lots of chances to create unique locations and terminal views, lots of streets row's extending to the water's edge should make the river feel like an integral part of the neighborhood even in the interior streets, as well as highlighting views of Downtown and the bridges in the rest of the Flats.  Of course, execution will matter!

• Like 7