Sign in to follow this  
MyTwoSense

Racism

I posted the entire series.  This is just sick!

Man accused of writing racist threats pleads not guilty

Posted by mtobin April 24, 2008 10:00AM

Article Removed

Disturbing' hate mail rocks families

Friday, April 18, 2008

Jodie Valade

Plain Dealer Reporter

Article Removed

Threatened by mail

Friday, April 18, 2008

Article Removed

Pepper Pike man accused of sending hate letters over two decades

Friday, April 11, 2008

Damian G. Guevara and James F. McCarty

Plain Dealer Reporters

Article Removed

It's 2008 and we have a mixture of old school hate and modern, sick and stalkerish antics.  Come on people.  Wake up, grow up and seriously, it's 2008.  It isn't the old days anymore.   Old habits die hard I guess..    :x

Wierdo....  He lived with his parents...

Yeah.  Writting letter to kids in high school and on their way to college or just trying to better themselves. He's a punk a$$!

The whole issue of racism is gradually working itself out generation by generation.  The wounds left from slavery and blatant racism were deep and are still healing.  If you talk to someone about black people who is elderly you're probably going to hear some pretty offensive things by your (our) standards.  Each new generation becomes more and more detached from those dark days in American history.

I theorize this is the same thing with sexual orientation.  Older generations weren't exposed to this as much when they lived the majority of their lives...it is a little harder for them to adjust to something 'different.'  Younger generations today are better, but certainly not perfect by any means...but I would assume that future generations will continue the maturation process.  One can only hope I guess.

The whole issue of racism is gradually working itself out generation by generation.  The wounds left from slavery and blatant racism were deep and are still healing.  If you talk to someone about black people who is elderly you're probably going to hear some pretty offensive things by your (our) standards.  Each new generation becomes more and more detached from those dark days in American history.

I theorize this is the same thing with sexual orientation.  Older generations weren't exposed to this as much when they lived the majority of their lives...it is a little harder for them to adjust to something 'different.'  Younger generations today are better, but certainly not perfect by any means...but I would assume that future generations will continue the maturation process.  One can only hope I guess.

I've said before that true racism among whites is largely limited to the fringes and older people. 

Much of what is called "racism" today is actually cultural bias.  When I lived in Maple Heights, some of my (white) neighbors had a saying:  "if you are trying to escape the ghetto you are welcome.  If you are trying to bring it with you, you are not.".  Some of the older people didn't understand this sentiment in principle, but in practice that seemed to be their view.

People who don't really give a damn about skin color still care quite a bit about behaviors and attitudes they don't care for, and efforts by black leaders to class this as "racism" is pretty much the sociological equivalent of the boy who cried wolf.

It seems like this would be the case, but in DC it seems in many cases the newer generations of black people are more resentful than the older generations (who seem rather respectful of everybody, and dont seem to play the blame game)

I guess this may be cultural or generational, and since DC doesnt have a middle class whatsoever, it may just be a sense of resentment by a generation that feels they deserve everything.   

Jason Taylor seems to me a magnet for these freaks. This was a huge local story back in 2006.

http://cbs4.com/topstories/Jason.Taylor.Road.2.397183.html

Jason Taylor 911 Call Released

Suspect Identified As Redmond Burns, 25

Taylor Says Burns Was Screaming Racial Slurs

Lisa Cilli CBS4.COM

DAVIE (CBS4 News) ― A day after the man accused of attacking Jason Taylor in a road rage incident was released on bond, police released the frantic 911 calls for help put in during the incident Tuesday. Meanwhile, some groups in the community are pointing to the attack as a culmination of racism in South Florida.

I've said before that true racism among whites is largely limited to the fringes and older people. 

Much of what is called "racism" today is actually cultural bias.  When I lived in Maple Heights, some of my (white) neighbors had a saying:  "if you are trying to escape the ghetto you are welcome.  If you are trying to bring it with you, you are not.".  Some of the older people didn't understand this sentiment in principle, but in practice that seemed to be their view.

People who don't really give a damn about skin color still care quite a bit about behaviors and attitudes they don't care for, and efforts by black leaders to class this as "racism" is pretty much the sociological equivalent of the boy who cried wolf.

Well put ERocc. I think that is exactly the case today.

Yeah, just as Europe has been gradually working itself out generation by generation since they slaughtered the Jews in the 1300s after they were blamed for spreading the black death. Just as ultra-marginalized Native Americans in Canada are increasingly equal with each new generation.

If I did, I would end up being ignored by 10 more people and this thread would end up geting shut down. I'm the king of controversy around here :angel:

Yeah, I can see this. 

Also, whats called racism is also buying into negative stereotyeps, not so much the hard core racism one sees at sites like Stormfront.

BTW, There is an ongoing intermittent discussion at Dayton Most Metro or race/racism in re Dayton:  Race/Socioeconomic Issues

Excuse me for jumping in!

I think that racism, overall, is slowly correcting itself with each generation. However, although we don't want to admit it, there are still traces of racism in our society and in most people. I consider myself the most anti-racist person I know and have to honestly say that I have found myself unconsciously stereotyping. Definitely nothing noteworthy enough to label me a racist, but nevertheless, stereotyping. I'm sure most of you could honestly admit the same. And stereotyping can be loosely based in racism. I use the term loosely because to say that black people love fried chicken is a stereotype that happens to be true, for the most part. It is the person's perception who hears this comment and the intent of the person who made it; that makes it either truth or racist.

I have experienced what I know to be and perceive to be racism in the workplace, in the military and from time to time throughout my life. Both from Black People and White. I am black, by the way. So it is not completely gone. It can be so subtle that it is hard to prove and recognize. It can be unconsciously and unentendedly perpetuated, as well. An example would be to spend more tax dollars in a certain neighborhood because it is a thriving Middle Class Neighborhood rather than a poor and rundown one. The objective may be to put the money where the tax payers are, but the result perpetuates racism. The people in the poor neighborhood, who are probably minorities, (Stereotype) feel discriminated against and their children miss vital education due to poor schools, which causes less opportunity, leading to crime, drugs, disfunction and racist attitudes from our youth. This is why it may seem that black young people are more racist than white young people or old people; because they feel they have reason to be. In an economy of Bushnomics, (Excuse me) this perpetuation extends to Classism.

It will be difficult to completely wipe out racism until we address and correct some of the governmental, political and social processes and behaviors that unconsciously and unentendedly perpetuate racist feelings and attitudes. Time will do the rest. There is, of-course, much more to say, but I'm trying my best not to use this forum as a philosophical outlet. It is hard not to, at times.

LOL: To All!

"if you are trying to escape the ghetto you are welcome.  If you are trying to bring it with you, you are not.". 

It's interesting you brought this up. If you're from the inner city and you're poor or minority, the only way you're really going to assimilate is if you have a really self-effacing on your past experience and the culture you left behind. 

All I have is my own life experience, but both of my parents were hardcore drug addicts and even smuggled drugs at one point. They went to prison. FBI raided our house. After I was college bound, I made a lot of new friends, even acted different. This was kinda easy because I've always had some really smart friends who went to different high schools that I associated with since elementary. But after starting college, I really noticed I have nothing in common with most of the people in my family. That's the price of upward mobility.

I've moved around a lot, went to some terrible schools but made good friends who I can't really associate with any more. I see them sometimes out in public but that's about it. If I brought people like them over to my house, my room mates would swear they stole sh!t while they were here. At UC I'm around much different people; they're mostly conservative suburbanites. They're good people and I love them to death but they tend to be intolerant of other people and view your differently for associating with them.

I remember right before I started college I tried to get an apartment with my friend Anthony who used to go to school with me. I met with the apartment complex's manager and Anthony came in the office after me, had a du rag on and long white T. The woman literally said "Well it's a good thing we don't judge people by what they look like". Now honestly, if she didn't judge people by what they look like, would she REALLY have even said that? Anthony ended up not moving in with me because he was offended and didn't feel comfortable with the place. The reason I'm bringing all of this up is because this is why people have to hate where they came from and their culture if they're ever going to advance themselves, and they really shouldn't have to.

You say you don't want people bringing the ghetto with them but what exactly do you define as "ghetto?" I'm not saying the ghetto doesn't have problems, it has MANY. However, my mom lives in a suburb right outside of Hilliard now and frankly, when I spent the summer in that neighborhood, I've never heard the word "Sand N!gger" so much in my life. People were rude in much more subtle ways. Someone came on my mom's property and took pictures of a box sitting on the side of the house to report to the HOA as an eyesore instead of knocking on the door and discussing the issue with her in a civilized manner--I consider that stuff to be uncivilized behavior. The point is that not everybody has the same views on what is acceptable behavior and much of what upper class people do is equally or more barbaric; just different. I use the word upper class because middle class is just a word poor people use to describe themselves because it's synonymous with "i'm good enough".

I attribute subjectively acceptable behavior to our legal system. Here's a worse example of uncivilized behavior that comes to my mind: Bush appointed very conservative chief justices. A woman sued Goodyear because she found out women are paid 25% less than men in her factory, which in my opinion is blatant sexism. The Supreme Court ruled in favor of Goodyear because they claimed that the woman waited too long to file her claim, as she had been working for Goodyear 16-18 years (this adds up to several hundreds of thousands of dollars per person in rearages). The fact is, companies like Goodyear don't allow people to discuss their pay; it's confidential. She didn't know about the unequal pay because of this policy that came from the top of the organization. Now, certainly the people working at the top of these corporations who make these policies are not welfare queens and Supreme Court judges are not the type of "ghetto" people who act loud and obnoxious in public or sell drugs but many of their decisions have a much more profoundly negative impact on society at large.

"if you are trying to escape the ghetto you are welcome.  If you are trying to bring it with you, you are not.". 

It's interesting you brought this up. If you're from the inner city and you're poor or minority, the only way you're really going to assimilate is if you have a really self-effacing on your past experience and the culture you left behind. 

It all depends on the meaning of the word "culture". 

Every culture, upon assimilation, keeps a lot of things and leaves others behind.  I call it the "stew pot" model of assimilation...not the homogeniety of the "melting pot", but a lot more assimilation than the salad bowl as well. 

Things like food, music, religious practices, and true "cultural" activities tend to stick around.

However, we're talking about things like open drug abuse, loud and sometimes violent disruptions, property crime, allowing property blight, and territorial "intimidation" behavior both large and small.  I'll give you an example:  there's been a problem in places like Maple Heights and Bedford with juveniles, almost always black, walking in streets and refusing to move for cars.  The cops crack down on this hard, and parents complain about "racism".  I'm not sure about the logic behind this practice, but it is sometimes accompanied by more overt attempts at intimidation when drivers try to get through.  It seems to be targetted too.....older white people rather than other black people, ( or for that matter 30-something guys in a big pickup truck with a snowplow, gunracks, and a confederate flag decal.  :evil: ).

I would say that a culture that considers these types of things worthy of preservation is itself deserving of extinction.

Don't think these things don't contribute to actual racism either, and don't think the people on the receiving end don't consider simply selling out and finding a townhouse in Brunswick or Sagamore Hills, either.

Erocc, that isn't racism.  That sounds like straight up ignorance and bad parenting!  Ignorant kids taking advantage of a situation, not realizing their actions are much larger than say "blocking" a car.  Bad parenting skills at play since the parents wont talk or discipline their children for obeying laws and trying to flip the race card.

The real question is what took place to make the kids start blocking cars and have the police, schools and parents come together WITH the kids to discuss the problem?

Erocc, that isn't racism.  That sounds like straight up ignorance and bad parenting!  Ignorant kids taking advantage of a situation, not realizing their actions are much larger than say "blocking" a car.  Bad parenting skills at play since the parents wont talk or discipline their children for obeying laws and trying to flip the race card.

The real question is what took place to make the kids start blocking cars and have the police, schools and parents come together WITH the kids to discuss the problem?

I think it's simply a case of "because they can".  I haven't heard the slightest justification of the behavior....from anyone.  Sometimes motivations simply don't matter.

It all depends on the meaning of the word "culture". 

I agree completely.   One definition of culture revolves around "a particular form of civilization".  So differences in some of the things E Rocc mentioned - music, religion, food, traditions, clothing, etc - are culture.  Acting like a dumba$$ within a civilization is not culture.

There are differences that you might claim as "cultural", like the example given of the person wearing a dew rag and long baggy white t-shirt "not feeling comfortable" by the landloard's comment when renting the apartment.  Well, there's also a difference between style of dress culturally and attire that is socially apporpriate.  I'm not going to a black tie wedding wearing business casual - even though I might look nice - because that isn't socially appropriate.  Just like you shouldn't go into a meeting to rent an apartment wearing that outfit. 

Personally, I think people have a low tolerance of other people acting like knuckleheads, plain and simple.  Sometimes that disdain of these knuckleheads is misconstrued for being racist if they are of opposite races.

There are differences that you might claim as "cultural", like the example given of the person wearing a dew rag and long baggy white t-shirt "not feeling comfortable" by the landloard's comment when renting the apartment.  Well, there's also a difference between style of dress culturally and attire that is socially apporpriate.  I'm not going to a black tie wedding wearing business casual - even though I might look nice - because that isn't socially appropriate.  Just like you shouldn't go into a meeting to rent an apartment wearing that outfit. 

I couldn't agree more. 

I once had someone come to an interview with me wearing a "do rag".  I think walking around with a do rag on your head is as ignorant as a women in rollers outside the house.  Its just tacky as hell!

It is totally racist for black kids to block the path of white people, old or young. The only reason they probably target the old is because of the reduced likelihood of retaliation. The racism, in this case, probably stems from poor education in neighborhood schools and the ignorance of their parents, which stems from poor education in the neighborhood schools of their grand parents and their legitimate racist experiences, which led to their racism and ignorance which they past down to their children, who are the current parents of this generation. This will slowly correct with time, but would take less time if we educated the kids in poor neighborhoods, who are mostly minority, the same way we educate the kids in thriving neighborhoods. This is the only defense these kids have to the ignorance and racism they are being taught at home. The parents of these ignorant and uneducated youths are mostly lost, I'm sorry to say. Some can be swayed by opportunity for them and their children. Opportunity is currently not reaching out to them. We expect them to reach out to opportunity, but ignorance and a lack of education hinders them from doing so.

As far as how to dress for an interview: This is obviously due to ignorance, as a result of the before mentioned.

And yes, differences in culture; like Dress, Slang, etc., are often mistaken as being Representative of Criminal, Racist or Bad Behavior. This is due to a Lack of Discussion Between The Leaders of different racial groups. These leaders are also Trainers, Educators and who should be Leading by Example. It is also due to Segregation, The Media, Some Music, Some Television, The lack of opportunity; due to Poor Schools, The Ignorance of Parents and The Lack of Opportunity for Minorities, due to the before mentioned. This all leads to one parent homes and many other contributing factors. Also to blame; are The True Racists, who do what ever they can to perpetuate hate and ignorance.

Well master, we're probably of the same era.

I don't necessarily think its racism I think its bad parenting and no common sense.

It amazes me that my parents generation never left the house looking poor, even if you were and today we have kids who purposely dress and look grungy and dirty.

Well master, we're probably of the same era.

I don't necessarily think its racism I think its bad parenting and no common sense.

It amazes me that my parents generation never left the house looking poor, even if you were and today we have kids who purposely dress and look grungy and dirty.

I agree; Ignorance and No common Sense due to Bad Parenting due to The Ignorance of Their Parents and Role Models.

Ignorance that stems from poor education from the ignorance of their grand parents. The parents are ignorant due to poor education in their neighborhood and the ignorance of their parents who were ignorant due to poor education steming from legitimate and purposeful racism.  The cycle continues for many, because there is little to break it. Some parents get opportunities that lead them to think differently, as some children do. But many never receive these opportunities and end up raising more ignorant children.

The People must demand that The Government share tax dollars with these neighborhoods to create opportunities to break the cycle, among other things.

Good points Master.

That is why I have a huge problem with private schools in the city. It leads to economic apartheid. Inner city public schools do recieve a lot of money per student but it's not just an issue of money. Students from all socio-economic levels need to be more integrated.

Good points Master.

That is why I have a huge problem with private schools in the city. It leads to economic apartheid. Inner city public schools do recieve a lot of money per student but it's not just an issue of money. Students from all socio-economic levels need to be more integrated.

The people who will oppose that the hardest are middle to upper class black parents.  Low-acheiving white kids are rarely as anti-intellectual as their black counterparts, who sometimes harrass achievers for "acting white".  Indeed, get Fannie Lewis on that subject sometime...but have an escape route.  During the vouchers debates, the unions absolutelty refused to face her.

If you want wealthier people with kids to move into the cities, you have to let them protect those kids.  The tendency towards protection of the young is biologically hard wired.

If they see the public schools as a threat to their kids, they will not consider them.  If you try to force them there they will not live in the cities.

If there's one thing that really makes wealthier moderates and conservatives see red*, it's perceived attempts by liberal reformers to perform social engineering with their children. 

*  pun intended, as always.  :evil:

Good points Master.

David, that is not just an inner city issue its a suburban issue as well.  I hated school because there weren't many kids like me.  I strongly think that is why my elementary school closed because it was racial unbalanced.

When I think back, I feel like if we had lived in the city, it would have prepared me better for college as I would have interacted with more people from various backgrounds, races, religions and economic levels.  

I think a lot of suburban parent use the word "protection" when they are really sheltering their kids from the real world.  My cousins in the city seemed much better prepared to interact with kids from all walks of life.

wow as I was typing my reply and its weird that E Rocc and I think the same.

The people who will oppose that the hardest are middle to upper class black parents. 

I can agree.  My father and his sister moved from the city and at the time their siblings thought they were being "uppity" because they moved to Cleveland Hts. and Shaker Hts.  My fathers sister constantly puts down people who move from the city for "a better life" and says when people move away, they are not solving any problem because it will creep up in the new location you move too.  She constantly says that when you see people move out of a neighborhood it sends a message that the area is unsafe and why should I or anyone else in our neighborhood fear each other??  She will defend Glenville to the last word and constantly say that we (the kids) didn't have a grip on reality.  After getting out in the real world, I had to agree with her.

I once had someone come to an interview with me wearing a "do rag".  I think walking around with a do rag on your head is as ignorant as a women in rollers outside the house.  Its just tacky as hell!

I feel my race being set back about 20 years.

How about 200!  I think it's so ignorant.  and don't get me started on saggy (below the butt) jeans/pants!

How about 200!  I think it's so ignorant.  and don't get me started on saggy (below the butt) jeans/pants!

Or long white t-shirts!

And actually, I found out the origin of saggy jeans was used in prisons to let other inmates know that the other inmates know that you were, um, taken.

Or long white t-shirts!

I agree.  In the same breath my father said, "now you know how I felt when you kids were in high school." 

I had to counter that a) you (my father) don't have one ounce of fashion style and b) In the 80's we put an effort into looking nice, and in that period things when from being super tight to being super loud.  There was a look for everyone and you could be hip and an individual without dressing like one of today's "clones"!

These kids today (regardless of financial status, race, color, creed or religion) just look a hot mess.  They don't seem to have common sense or know the "there is a certain time and place for that" rule.

These kids today (regardless of financial status, race, color, creed or religion) just look a hot mess.  They don't seem to have common sense or know the "there is a certain time and place for that" rule.

Not always...:-) last time I was at home, I picked up my 15yr old brother from school (He's at the Akron Early College High School). He was wearing a nice clean pair of Blue Jeans, a red polo shirt, a brown pair of Steve Maddens, and a schweet leather jacket.

He stuck out like a sore thumb. You would think the creme de la creme of Akron High School Freshman would all dress this way.

Not always...:-) last time I was at home, I picked up my 15yr old brother from school (He's at the Akron Early College High School). He was wearing a nice clean pair of Blue Jeans, a red polo shirt, a brown pair of Steve Maddens, and a schweet leather jacket.

He stuck out like a sore thumb. You would think the creme de la creme of Akron High School Freshman would all dress this way.

True, I should not have "many" instead of generalizing "all".  But you're probably from a family who talks to their kids or are tight nit.

If I did something, I could be reprimanded by an aunt or an uncle and because several families (on both sides of my family) went to school together, if something happened, everyone knew what was up.

Now-a-day, many kids represent their 'hood, not their family.  I'm old school and if I was to do something bad (and I wouldn't since I'm the good child :angel:) and it got back to a family member, you can best believe I would have gotten a beat down.

My father to this date says,"When you leave this house you represent me.  and if you act up its a reflection on how your mother and I raised you and I'll be damned if your going to bring shame to my family name or home.  I will not send any knucklehead men out into the world, so don't make me kill you."

My father to this date says,"When you leave this house you represent me.  and if you act up its a reflection on how your mother and I raised you and I'll be damned if your going to bring shame to my family name or home.  I will not send any knucklehead men out into the world, so don't make me kill you."

Would you please have your father sign up on UO?  Sounds like we might get along!!!