Sign in to follow this  
noozer

Airline Industry News and Discussion

yes thats what i heard, that it could help boeing recover because the airlines will retire planes and later order new. that is, if they can hang on, airlines run on notoriously tight margins.

unfortunately for air travelers, with less routes and new planes, that will mean astronomical tickets and fees to come. it will be like the 1950s to mid-1970s again when air travel costs were prohibitive for most people.

5 hours ago, mrnyc said:

yes thats what i heard, that it could help boeing recover because the airlines will retire planes and later order new. that is, if they can hang on, airlines run on notoriously tight margins.

unfortunately for air travelers, with less routes and new planes, that will mean astronomical tickets and fees to come. it will be like the 1950s to mid-1970s again when air travel costs were prohibitive for most people.

The government should consider some stimulus for passenger rail then. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cleburger said:

The government should consider some stimulus for passenger rail then. 🙂

Amtrak is getting $1 billion from the stimulus.

• Like 3

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

1 hour ago, KJP said:

Amtrak is getting $1 billion from the stimulus.

According to a WSJ news report Amtrak asked for $1.018 billion; so that's just what they wanted.

Food and beverage service nixed for lights UNDER 4.5 hours.  There is definitely a component of this new policy for health and wellness--although there is certainly and underlying benefit for shareholders.   I can't help but wonder if once everything is back to normal that this will become the new normal for American and other big carriers.  

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

Food and beverage service nixed for lights UNDER 4.5 hours.  There is definitely a component of this new policy for health and wellness--although there is certainly and underlying benefit for shareholders.   I can't help but wonder if once everything is back to normal that this will become the new normal for American and other big carriers.  

It better not!  Although I wouldn't put it past them.  To me, it wouldn't save enough money to make up for the alienation of their frequent flyers.  If every carrier does it, though, I guess it's the "new normal."  I've got a feeling when everything is over, there will be a lot of "new normals."

1 hour ago, Cleburger said:

This only works to an extent, my sister is a flight attendant and a union member, they have been fighting for weeks for the use of disposable gloves and mask to wear on the plane. The airline finally gave in on allowing employees to wear them, but they need to provide there own. She said even with no drink service, you still get rude entitled people who treat FA like sh*t because they arent doing beverage service beyond miniature bottles of water. She knows of multiple FA who are sick and even a couple who have died now from Coronavirus. You should see the little alcohol wipes they are providing the FAs to clean up areas of the plane, no bigger than a doctors office alcohol wipe before you receive a shot...

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz