Cincinnati: Interstate 75

buildingcincinnati

From the 10/17/06 Enquirer:

Northsiders can weigh in on ramp issue

BY JANE PRENDERGAST | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Northside residents and business owners concerned about the possible closing of an exit into their community off Interstate 74 can make their point again tonight.

Officials of the Ohio Department of Transportation plan to attend the Northside Community Council meeting and make a presentation about the Mill Creek Expressway project, which extends from the Western Hills viaduct north to Paddock Road.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061017/NEWS01/310170043/-1/rss

I-74 exit gets commissioners' support

October 18, 2006

CINCINNATI - Hamilton County Commissioners voted this morning to oppose plans to close the Spring Grove Avenue/Elmore Street exit off Interstate 74 and to consider asking the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments to stop the closure the same way that group did for the Galbraith Road exit.

Commissioners voted 3-0 for a resolution that said closing the exit and nearby ramps at Colerain Avenue and Central Parkway “would create severe hardship and inconvenience, both economically and residentially” for the neighborhoods of Northside, South Cumminsville, Camp Washington and Mount Airy.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061018/NEWS01/310180020

Guest jmecklenborg

>I don't see why Northside needs two exits.  You can access Northside easily from the Colerain Exit.  The Elmore Street exit dumps you onto a small residential street.

Agreed, and those businesses closer to Camp Washington use the Hopple St. ramps.  There are certainly a lot of businesses along Rt. 4 who are much further from the interstates.  And I'm not too sure how many trucks even use the on-ramp from Spring Grove Ave., my guess is only a handful per day.  Also, the Colerain Ave. interchange might have been "temporary", but it has worked just fine all these years.  I have exited there thousands of times, there is no problem with it.   

Northside aided on highway access

Hamilton Co. officials oppose ramp closure

October 19, 2006

CINCINNATI - Northside residents worried about the possible loss of a highway exit into their community now find more muscle behind them.

Hamilton County commissioners voted Wednesday to oppose the loss of Exit 19 off Interstate 74, the exit to Spring Grove Avenue and Elmore Street.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061019/NEWS01/610190379/1056/COL02

• 2 weeks later...

Choice: Galbraith Rd. exit

THE OFFICE: Governor

BY JON CRAIG/ENQUIRER COLUMBUS BUREAU

The issue: The Ohio Department of Transportation has proposed closing several ramps along Interstate 75 as part of the Thru the Valley project, which stretches from Paddock Road to Interstate 275. Construction is set to start in five years.

The question: Do you support or oppose the closing of the Galbraith Road exit for the I-75 improvement project?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061030/NEWS01/610300351/1056/COL02

I-75-74 merge still divisive issue

OKI hoping city, state officials can reach a compromise

The boss of the regional transportation authority that has some control over funding of federal highway projects is urging city and state officials to negotiate a new fix for the too-narrow interchange at Interstates 75 and 74.

The Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments hasn't voted to try to stop the pieces of the Mill Creek Expressway project that have drawn loud objections from residents and business owners in Northside and surrounding neighborhoods.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061101/NEWS01/611010380/1056/COL02

• 1 month later...

Northside rethinks interstate

Compromise considered on proposed exit changes, upgrades

NORTHSIDE - Residents and business owners who have spent years promoting this sometimes struggling neighborhood have been begging highway engineers not to take away what they say is the best exit into Northside.

They're still losing that battle.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061205/NEWS01/612050331/1056/COL02

• 3 months later...

I know that it is obviously too late for any of us to attend, but there is an email, for ODOT, in the article where you can send comments and concerns about the project.

Interstate plans shown today

March 29, 2007 | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER

ST. BERNARD - The latest designs for the redesign and widening of Interstates 75 and 74 will be shown today, 4-8 p.m., at the St. Bernard Municipal Building, 120 Washington Ave.

The meeting will be an open house, with opportunity to talk with the engineers working on the Mill Creek Expressway project, which includes I-75 from the Western Hills Viaduct to Paddock Road and I-74 from I-75 to the Colerain/Beekman avenues interchange.

Comments will be taken until April 13. To weigh in: write to the Ohio Department of Transportation, District 8, 505 S. Ohio 741, Lebanon; call 513-933-6639; fax to 513-932-8252; or e-mail [email protected].

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070329/NEWS01/703290344/1056/COL02

• 2 months later...

Disruption along the way

Forced to move, or facing traffic snarls, I-75 neighbors accept what's coming

BY MARGARET A. MCGURK | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER

June 11, 2007

CINCINNATI - In 1961, Jim Rembold and his brother were running a successful business in Camp Washington when they learned they would have to pull up stakes. Interstate 75 was coming through.

They left their Spring Grove Avenue site - now home to the southbound ramp from I-75 to the lower level of the Western Hills Viaduct - and resettled a few blocks north at 2900 Massachusetts Ave.

• 6 months later...

Wow that animation is cool.  I really, REALLY like the proposed Hopple Street remake.  The current arrangement is a huge detriment to access to UC/Clifton and the remake separates raises Hopple over Central Parkway and gets rid of the left lane exit from I75N to Hopple.

The 74 Colerain / Beekman area is also improved in that it is simplified.  It is too confusing now, and if you get off at the wrong exit, you cannot re-enter easily. 

• 1 month later...

Ugh...

New I-75 noise walls up for discussion

Barriers being considered as part of Mill Creek project

BY MARGARET A. MCGURK | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER

February 14, 2008

CINCINNATI - If you live or work near the section of Interstate 75 between the Western Hills Viaduct and Paddock Road that's scheduled for a reconstruction, the Ohio Department of Transportation wants your thoughts on whether the area needs noise barriers.

A preliminary analysis shows the project might increase noise levels at 12 locations.

For God's sake no!!!    Please use the money for something more productive!      I bet if you were to add up all the money spent on noise barriers on 71, 75, 275, and CCH ------It would be more than the 102mill needed for the streetcar.   

For God's sake no!!!    Please use the money for something more productive!      I bet if you were to add up all the money spent on noise barriers on 71, 75, 275, and CCH ------It would be more than the 102mill needed for the streetcar.   

Agreed. There's nothing more I hate than noise barriers. They are an extra money spending measure and plus, I want to see the town I'm driving through, not look at concrete walls with pretty artwork on them. That's what the Art Museum is for. They are getting really bad with that up here in Dayton as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure the visual look of the walls is still subject to review and change.  But I'd say stamped concrete/faux brick.  As much as I dislike these barriers, I think this proposal looks pretty good because it only adds them where the highway passes directly by residential streets.  And as long as they fix all of the left-hand exits and other odd 1950's highway design elements, I think everyone will be happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the new schedule for actual construction:

308%20proj%20sched.bmp

I went to an OKI open house and asked about the I75 widening project - they are essentially  widening a road that they say will be at capacity when it is completed because of the anticipated increase in the number of cars/trips - i.e. build it and they will drive on it!  The process is so long and political that they can't stop and use the $500M for something else like light rail.  I'd bet the outcome would be different if people had to vote on road widening projects like rail and transit projects.

For God's sake no!!!     Please use the money for something more productive!      I bet if you were to add up all the money spent on noise barriers on 71, 75, 275, and CCH ------It would be more than the 102mill needed for the streetcar.   

Agreed. There's nothing more I hate than noise barriers. They are an extra money spending measure and plus, I want to see the town I'm driving through, not look at concrete walls with pretty artwork on them. That's what the Art Museum is for. They are getting really bad with that up here in Dayton as well.

I was up in The Big D this past weekend and got a first hand look at them as well.  It is a shame!!     No Ohio city is immune from these monstrosities!

Like I've said in the past, the whole Mill Creek Expressway/Thru-The-Valley projects are basically safety improvements, not capacity improvements. 2020! WOW, by the time this is done, we could have a light rail project completed.  I hope they plan ahead (cough, Paddock Road overpass, cough) and make it possible to install elevated private HOT lanes and/or light rail.  By 2020, we could have a private company come in and build some toll lanes and people would use them bc I-75 will be a complete mess.  Even today the highway is crowded almost all day, not just during rush. When I am done with school, guess who isn't living near 75, this guy.

• 1 month later...

Suburbs glad to keep Galbraith exit on I-75

BY WILLIAM A. WEATHERS | [email protected]

READING - Officials from six suburban communities who had protested the proposed closing of the northbound Galbraith Road exit off Interstate 75 officially thanked Congressman Steve Chabot for his assistance in their so-far successful battle.

Chabot was recognized for his efforts to persuade Ohio Department of Transportation officials to plan a new fly-over northbound exit from I-75, and for securing a $500,000 federal appropriation to help finance its design.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080422/NEWS01/804220357/1056/COL02

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if this means anything to anyone, but here's the latest update from the official website:

June 2008 Update:

Overall Project Update:

The project team has completed the Preferred Alternative Verification for the I-75 corridor from the Western Hills Viaduct to just north of Paddock Rd.  This effort also includes alternative development for I-74 from the Colerain/Beekman Exit to I-75.  This step of the process refined the design of the recommended alternative established after public input between September 2006 and April 2007.  The design plans have reviewed by ODOT and FHWA.

The project team is also preparing the first draft of the Environmental Document.  This document and the information on the Preferred Alternative will be presented at a Public Hearing to be scheduled late this year.

It's all NEPA. Prefferred Alternative is pretty far along in the Traffic Engineering Process of Design. For the I-75 Mainline, they are beginning step 8, the final part of the traffic engineering planning / design of the project. After that, it moves on to detailed design.

Here is a diagram showing ODOT's project development process:

http://www.uptowntransportationstudy.org/images/ODOT_process.jpg

The we're here star is for the uptown study, not the mill creek expressway project. That said, it's impressive to see how spread out this project is on the timeline. Amazing what overspending, recessions, and a realization that there is more than roads in a transportation network do for transportation plans. Also, ODOT updated their website. It looks nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Interactive: Hopple Street alternatives

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080821/NEWS01/308200096/1168/NEWS

While I will agree this interchange needs attention badly,  I will say it will be a mess once they begin.  It looks like the two alternates take out the city maintenance building off Central.

It appears that the roundabout alternative proposes a new "parallel" roadway right thru the city maintenance garage adjacent to the existing Central Parkway.  I guess the intent is reduce the curves along central parkway, thus increasing speed and efficiency.  What a mess! 

This proposal meshes well with the city's plan to supersize MLK from Central Parkway to I-71.

I'm very weary of the roundabout interchange. You don't introduce roundabouts using double roundabouts. They can and generally are extremely confusing for new drivers. There are plenty of double roundabouts in Maryland, but even I, a traffic engineer, would be bewildered by driving through a high volume double roundabout.

Grade separating Central Parkway would save the city maintenance building, which I am sort of surprised the city is okay with destroying it. In reality, the roundabout interchange is "cleanest", but I still can't fathom what will happen when a bunch of people unfamiliar with roundabouts go into a heavily used double roundabout.

I'm settling for the roundabout for safety reasons. Numerous conflict points are eliminated with the design, and roundabouts should be common knowledge for drivers. Do they teach the basic concepts in Ohio? They have been widely used in several states for years, and overseas, they are very commonplace. Once a driver is accustomed to yielding to traffic inside the roundabout, it is a pretty straightforward process.

I remember when Lexington (Ky.) received its first roundabout. People bitched and whined about it, how unsafe it was, and all that -- but it now holds one of the lowest accident rates for a major intersection in the city.

With Alternate 1, there is one true roundabout (#3). The roundabout over the interchange is elongated and it is pretty self-explanatory -- there is no way to screw that up while driving. A safe design, although I am concerned with how cyclists will take to it.

Alternate 2 is a more free-flowing design, although the Central Parkway/MLK intersection could become congested during rush hour. I don't like the loop ramps, though, and I'd much prefer to see a standard diamond interchange. Safer for cyclists and pedestrians.

ODOT's plan is very straightforward. Braided ramps help reduce weaving and conflict, and having MLK and Central grade separated is very nice and efficient, and safer for cyclists. I don't like the loop ramps, though, and I'd much prefer to see a standard diamond interchange. Safer for cyclists and pedestrians.

• 5 months later...

Public meeting tonight about I-75 Mill Creek Expressway

By Jennifer Baker • [email protected] • February 10, 2009

ST. BERNARD – The public is invited to review project materials and ask questions tonight about a $642.5 million plan to widen Interstate 75 from the Western Hills Viaduct to the Paddock Road interchange.

The 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. meeting will be held at the St. Bernard Municipal Building, 120 Washington Ave., said Sharon Smigielski, a spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of Transportation.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090210/NEWS01/302100012/1055/NEWS

As expected, the comments being left on that Enquirer article are infuriating.  Most of the supporters of I-75 being widened are totally unaware that this is one of three projects happening -- some of the comments are "use some of this money for a new bridge!" or "widen I-75 all the way up to I-275!" -- If these people would do a few seconds of research, they would know that both of those project are happening separately.  Also, others are complaining that this project should have happened years ago but was delayed due to "pie in the sky" ideas of light rail.  Obviously those people aren't aware that congestion is going to be just as bad after the highway is widened.  And by calling an idea "pie in the sky" aren't you at least implying that it would be a better solution if it ever actually happened?

Man, have the costs of this project ballooned!

He is what should have been done and has built in cost controls:

1) Maintain current lane configuration, general purpose lanes: 4 south I-74/3 north I-74.

2) Upgrade safety by widening shoulders, adding distance to merge lanes and reconfigure interchanges.

3) Establish a toll authority.

4) Using money from the state and bonds from the toll authority, acquire ROW to provide HOT lanes. HOT lanes would be intermost lanes, separated from mainline with barrier.

5) Establish BRT/Express Bus lines.

By doing this, you would not promote increased SOV driving as will happen with an additional general purpose lane. Also, this would setup for easier tolling of the new bridge. South of Western Hills, provide 'Open Road' tolling for those with the transponders and a single toll facility on the Ohio side of the river for north and southbound traffic. Or, if funds are secured, simply continue the HOT lanes into NKY. If so many cities are going this route, it clearly shows this is the direction freeway management.

• 4 months later...

'Right of entry' ordinance for I-75 project in Cincinnati committee

http://www.building-cincinnati.com/2009/07/right-of-entry-ordinance-for-i-75.html

An ordinance allowing the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) to get a jump on the $664 million I-75 Mill Creek Expressway project is currently in Cincinnati City Council's Finance Committee.

The ordinance would allow the City to enter into a contract for right of entry with the State of Ohio to allow ODOT to have access to City-owned land in and around the Monmouth Avenue overpass in Camp Washington to begin preliminary work on what is referred to as "Phase 2", the $6.5 million reconstruction of the bridge and roadway.

Under the terms of the contract, ODOT would have the right to enter upon these lands after January 1, 2010, and could occupy and construct upon the property following April 1, 2010.

ODOT also would advance the City $600,000 to be applied to the future purchase of property it requires for construction.

The state is still awaiting appraisals of the City-owned parcels it will require before negotiations for their purchase can begin.

Scheduled to begin next spring and to be completed in May 2020, the I-75 Mill Creek Expressway project includes the addition of one traffic lane in each direction between the Western Hills Viaduct and Paddock Road and reconstruction of the interchanges at Hopple Street, I-74, Mitchell Avenue, the Norwood Lateral (OH-562), and Paddock Road.

The partial interchange at Towne Street will be eliminated.

• 3 weeks later...

Interstate 75: catalyst or curse?

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2009/07/20/editorial1.html

Tuesday was a near perfect day, until the end. I was up at 5 a.m. to read, catch up on e-mails and write. By 6:45 a.m., I was off to West Chester for our third annual Regional Development Forum, co-sponsored with our Dayton sister paper, exploring the future of the Interstate 75 corridor. After that, it was to Union Terminal until 5 p.m. to judge seven nonprofits’ social enterprise business plans as part of the near-end of Washington, D.C.-based Community Wealth Ventures year-long guidance of these organizations. A break at lunch allowed me to spend time with a former Business Courier advertising client, who needs us now more than ever. The presentations ended on time, letting me make it across downtown to my weekday business-news segment on WLWT Channel 5 at 5:10 p.m. Back to the office for some catch-up, and I was pleased to be on the road by 6:30 p.m., only to be paralyzed by an accident back-up on I-75. It’s not my usual interstate home, but I figured the late hour would make it clearer than normal. But what’s normally a 55-minute commute turned into 90 minutes.

• 1 month later...