Guest grasscat

Cincinnati: Interstate 75 "Mill Creek Expressway"

This area needs serious help.  It is outdated and dangerous.  From the 9/21/04 Enquirer:

7574_190.gif

State asked to fund work on I-75 section near I-74

By John Byczkowski

Enquirer staff writer

Ohio is moving forward to design a replacement for a major section of Interstate 75 in Hamilton County.

The state Department of Transportation wants $15 million for environmental and construction design studies for widening a stretch of I-75 between Western Hills Viaduct and Mitchell Avenue.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/09/21/loc_loc1i75.html

From the 1/14/05 Enquirer:

I-75 upgrade: a long road ahead

Ohio to spend $107M, but not until 2011

By Tim Bonfield

Enquirer staff writer

Note to commuters in traffic jams along Interstate 75: Ohio plans to pump another $107 million into upgrading the region's most crucial highway.

But don't start sleeping in just yet. The money won't kick in until 2011, and it remains unclear how many years it will take after that to finish the job.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050114/NEWS01/501140394/1056

Here's what I read in the first couple lines:

Note to commuters in traffic jams along Interstate 75: Ohio plans to pump another $107 million into upgrading the region's most crucial highway, which is not a long term solution to you being stuck in traffic jams. In fact, the project may never save you the amount of time you spend stuck in years of construction delays for it.

I wonder if all the thru trucks could be detoured around 275, the suburbanites would hate it but screwem :whip:. I remember when 71 was truck free for a short time and it was wonderful..

^ Good enough.

So am I correct in that the roundabout (traffic circle) will be two lanes?  Also, I worry about the scale and the tightness of the circle given the high traffic volumes.

I think this is a pretty nice concept though and finally gets rid of that horrible left exit.  Plus, like you mentioned, it would create a great opportunity to expand on the Hopple Crossing concept and to further connect to the residential neighborhood to the north.

I am guessing that the roundabout will have 2 lanes, but a third inside lane could be added.  Modern roundabouts are different than older traffic circles or rotaries.  At the enterence into the roundabout, there will be a yield sign, so if the roundabout is busy, traffic will back up on the ramps, but traffic will be moving, not at a stop like at lights or signs.  Scale looks to be small, just large enough to keep traffic moving, unlike large traffic circles where fountains and small plazas are located in the center, these will have grass and flowers I would guess.  My drawing is not perfect, so allow the roundabout to expand west on Hopple, but not too much more because I don't think the properties to the south are going to be purchased.

I was just wondering because I worry about backups on Hopple at the roundabout, especially in the eastbound lanes.  The Hopple/Colerain intersection is already bad enough and a long line of cars waiting to get onto a roundabout could be a problem.

There hasn't been much news on this lately, but there are a couple of meetings coming up:

January 11, 2006

Este Conference Center

6270 Este Ave., Cincinnati

2 PM-7 PM

January 12, 2006

St. Bernard Municipal Building

120 Washington Ave., St. Bernard

4 PM-8 PM

These will be open house meetings with no formal presentations.  ODOT will have on display the alternatives still under consideration and will seek public input.

The mobile display is also currently available for viewing at the Elmwood Place Municipal Building.

Well, looking into the individual matix's for each part of the project, Hopple Option A is the cheapest! I don't know what will happen, but I think there is more cost to building large fly-over ramps, and I think a new Hopple exit will make it easier to travel through the area.

Good to see tat HOP-A moved forward and that all but one roundabout option was thrown out. I hope they end up choosing the 5/4 continuity, as right now from Hopple to 74 it is a bottleneck during rush hour. Additionally, there is a potential bottleneck on 74 between 74 and Colerain Ave caused by weaving. Not a big deal right now, but I can imagine that as traffic on 74 increases (and it likely will), that the weave situation will only get worse and worse.

I-75 plans face speed bumps

BY JANE PRENDERGAST | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

PDF Link: http://news.enquirer.com/assets/AB43533929.PDF

Even as public outcry played out this year over possible loss of a Galbraith Road exit off Interstate 75, highway engineers have been proceeding on another project that would close the Towne Street exit and has Northside residents worried about access to their neighborhood.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060929/NEWS01/609290412

This is from the president of the Northside Business Association.  Should be a lively meeting if anybody wants to cruise by....

To All Northside Businesses and Residents:

Stefan Spinosa of the Ohio Department of Transportation confirmed today that he will attend the NBA meeting this Monday, October 2, at 6:30 at North Presbyterian Church.  Although many of you attended the open house this past Thursday in St. Bernard, it is important that we focus on ODOT's recommendations and possible alternatives now. Mr. Spinosa will therefore present the current alternatives under consideration and participate in a discussion with us to better understand the impacts of those recommendations and to gather suggestions for any alternative routings or schemes that may satisfy Northside as well as ODOT.

Please attend this meeting.

Robert Sala, President, NBA

From the 10/11/06 Enquirer:

Support grows to fight closing highway ramps in Northside

Northside residents fighting the proposed closure of highway ramps into and out of their neighborhood got support Tuesday from friends in College Hill and South Cumminsville and at Cincinnati City Hall.

Chris Bortz, chairman of Cincinnati City Council's economic development committee, promised he'd introduce a resolution at council today that opposes closing the ramps around the interchange of Interstates 75 and 74. He said he would ask council members to suspend the rules so the resolution can be passed immediately.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061011/NEWS01/610110388/1056/COL02

From the 10/17/06 Enquirer:

Northsiders can weigh in on ramp issue

Northside residents and business owners concerned about the possible closing of an exit into their community off Interstate 74 can make their point again tonight.

Officials of the Ohio Department of Transportation plan to attend the Northside Community Council meeting and make a presentation about the Mill Creek Expressway project, which extends from the Western Hills viaduct north to Paddock Road.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061017/NEWS01/310170043/-1/rss

I-74 exit gets commissioners' support

October 18, 2006

CINCINNATI - Hamilton County Commissioners voted this morning to oppose plans to close the Spring Grove Avenue/Elmore Street exit off Interstate 74 and to consider asking the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments to stop the closure the same way that group did for the Galbraith Road exit.

Commissioners voted 3-0 for a resolution that said closing the exit and nearby ramps at Colerain Avenue and Central Parkway “would create severe hardship and inconvenience, both economically and residentially” for the neighborhoods of Northside, South Cumminsville, Camp Washington and Mount Airy.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061018/NEWS01/310180020

>I don't see why Northside needs two exits.  You can access Northside easily from the Colerain Exit.  The Elmore Street exit dumps you onto a small residential street.

Agreed, and those businesses closer to Camp Washington use the Hopple St. ramps.  There are certainly a lot of businesses along Rt. 4 who are much further from the interstates.  And I'm not too sure how many trucks even use the on-ramp from Spring Grove Ave., my guess is only a handful per day.  Also, the Colerain Ave. interchange might have been "temporary", but it has worked just fine all these years.  I have exited there thousands of times, there is no problem with it.   

Northside aided on highway access

Hamilton Co. officials oppose ramp closure

October 19, 2006

CINCINNATI - Northside residents worried about the possible loss of a highway exit into their community now find more muscle behind them.

Hamilton County commissioners voted Wednesday to oppose the loss of Exit 19 off Interstate 74, the exit to Spring Grove Avenue and Elmore Street.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061019/NEWS01/610190379/1056/COL02

I-75-74 merge still divisive issue

OKI hoping city, state officials can reach a compromise

The boss of the regional transportation authority that has some control over funding of federal highway projects is urging city and state officials to negotiate a new fix for the too-narrow interchange at Interstates 75 and 74.

The Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments hasn't voted to try to stop the pieces of the Mill Creek Expressway project that have drawn loud objections from residents and business owners in Northside and surrounding neighborhoods.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061101/NEWS01/611010380/1056/COL02

Northside rethinks interstate

Compromise considered on proposed exit changes, upgrades

NORTHSIDE - Residents and business owners who have spent years promoting this sometimes struggling neighborhood have been begging highway engineers not to take away what they say is the best exit into Northside.

They're still losing that battle.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061205/NEWS01/612050331/1056/COL02

I know that it is obviously too late for any of us to attend, but there is an email, for ODOT, in the article where you can send comments and concerns about the project.

Interstate plans shown today

March 29, 2007 | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER

ST. BERNARD - The latest designs for the redesign and widening of Interstates 75 and 74 will be shown today, 4-8 p.m., at the St. Bernard Municipal Building, 120 Washington Ave.

The meeting will be an open house, with opportunity to talk with the engineers working on the Mill Creek Expressway project, which includes I-75 from the Western Hills Viaduct to Paddock Road and I-74 from I-75 to the Colerain/Beekman avenues interchange.

Comments will be taken until April 13. To weigh in: write to the Ohio Department of Transportation, District 8, 505 S. Ohio 741, Lebanon; call 513-933-6639; fax to 513-932-8252; or e-mail stefan.spinosa@dot.state.oh.us.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070329/NEWS01/703290344/1056/COL02

Disruption along the way

Forced to move, or facing traffic snarls, I-75 neighbors accept what's coming

BY MARGARET A. MCGURK | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER

June 11, 2007

CINCINNATI - In 1961, Jim Rembold and his brother were running a successful business in Camp Washington when they learned they would have to pull up stakes. Interstate 75 was coming through.

They left their Spring Grove Avenue site - now home to the southbound ramp from I-75 to the lower level of the Western Hills Viaduct - and resettled a few blocks north at 2900 Massachusetts Ave.

Wow that animation is cool.  I really, REALLY like the proposed Hopple Street remake.  The current arrangement is a huge detriment to access to UC/Clifton and the remake separates raises Hopple over Central Parkway and gets rid of the left lane exit from I75N to Hopple.

The 74 Colerain / Beekman area is also improved in that it is simplified.  It is too confusing now, and if you get off at the wrong exit, you cannot re-enter easily. 

Ugh...

New I-75 noise walls up for discussion

Barriers being considered as part of Mill Creek project

BY MARGARET A. MCGURK | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER

February 14, 2008

CINCINNATI - If you live or work near the section of Interstate 75 between the Western Hills Viaduct and Paddock Road that's scheduled for a reconstruction, the Ohio Department of Transportation wants your thoughts on whether the area needs noise barriers.

A preliminary analysis shows the project might increase noise levels at 12 locations.

For God's sake no!!!    Please use the money for something more productive!      I bet if you were to add up all the money spent on noise barriers on 71, 75, 275, and CCH ------It would be more than the 102mill needed for the streetcar.   

For God's sake no!!!    Please use the money for something more productive!      I bet if you were to add up all the money spent on noise barriers on 71, 75, 275, and CCH ------It would be more than the 102mill needed for the streetcar.   

Agreed. There's nothing more I hate than noise barriers. They are an extra money spending measure and plus, I want to see the town I'm driving through, not look at concrete walls with pretty artwork on them. That's what the Art Museum is for. They are getting really bad with that up here in Dayton as well.