Sign in to follow this  
buildingcincinnati

University of Cincinnati Bearcats Football Discussion

Once again, the Bearcats got ridiculously lucky, winning a home game 15-13 vs. a mediocre Temple due to a super-weird safety (blocked point-after-touchdown returned to the end zone).

The 10-1 record feels icky. Winning at Memphis on Friday seems virtually impossible. And if they lose, the AAC championship game will be...against Memphis, at Memphis. Losing either will probably take them out of the running for the Cotton Bowl, and may very well position them for an invitation to the Liberty Bowl. Which is at the Memphis Tigers' stadium. 🤦‍♂️ That may be a fittingly humbling ending to a season where the team has gotten away with way too much.

I met UC's Kobe Bryant last year.  I couldn't believe he really had that name.  I also met a guy about five years ago who claims he held Kobe Bryant (the real one) "in his arms" when he was a baby.  

^ UC has has some great player names. Off the top of my head, in addition to Bryant they've had a Mike Tyson and a Lyndon Baines Johnson. I wouldn't be surprised if good 'ole Tommy Tuberville recruited these guys just because he liked the names.

2 hours ago, Robuu said:

Once again, the Bearcats got ridiculously lucky, winning a home game 15-13 vs. a mediocre Temple due to a super-weird safety (blocked point-after-touchdown returned to the end zone).

The 10-1 record feels icky. Winning at Memphis on Friday seems virtually impossible. And if they lose, the AAC championship game will be...against Memphis, at Memphis. Losing either will probably take them out of the running for the Cotton Bowl, and may very well position them for an invitation to the Liberty Bowl. Which is at the Memphis Tigers' stadium. 🤦‍♂️ That may be a fittingly humbling ending to a season where the team has gotten away with way too much.

A blocked PAT returned for 2 points has to be one of the rarest plays in college football. I was at the game and scratched my head for a few seconds during the return, before the scoreboard updated, because I couldn't remember if it resulted in 1 or 2 points. The stadium announcer called it a touchdown, which I knew wasn't right, though I'm still not entirely sure what it's called.

In general, UC's offense is terrible. They might get blown out in Memphis two weekends in a row unless the defense gets a few turnovers.

Edited by Ram23

I heard the play on the radio and it seemed like it took forever for Bryant to run the length of the field.  I'm in the car thinking he should have scored by now.  I finally got around to watching the clip and he was loafing!  

Report: UC's Fickell top choice for Michigan State job

University of Cincinnati head football coach Luke Fickell is a top candidate to replace the retiring coach at Michigan State University, according to a report.

The Detroit Free Press writes that Fickell is the "frontrunner" to replace Mark Dantonio, who announced his retirement on Tuesday. Dantonio himself is a former Bearcats football coach, from 2004 to 2006.

Fickell, 46, arrived in Clifton in 2017 from Ohio State. He made $2.3 million in the 2019 season, representing a 15% raise. Dantonio made $4.4 million last season.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/02/04/report-ucs-fickell-top-choice-for-michigan-state.html

luke-fickell-2019*1200xx5265-2962-0-274.

• Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Hopefully Fick can get MSU back up to b10 east title contention.. solid hire imo.. I'm sure hes itching to get a few revenge wins against scUM..  Should've won that game!

• Poison 1

7 hours ago, TwoStickney419 said:

Hopefully Fick can get MSU back up to b10 east title contention.. solid hire imo.. I'm sure hes itching to get a few revenge wins against scUM..  Should've won that game!

Keep that commentary in the Big 10 thread or wherever.

• Thanks 1

I dont think he leaves. It is not the right time for him and his family to move. In a couple years it is a different story. I still think he ends up at Notre Dame. 

UC's Fickell makes decision about Michigan State coaching job

G7XcjZ.gif

University of Cincinnati football coach Luke Fickell is staying at UC and won’t take the head coaching job at Michigan State.

A UC spokesman confirmed to me this morning that Fickell is staying with the Bearcats.

Fickell met with Michigan State officials Sunday about the open position but has decided to stay, Yahoo Sports’ Pete Thamel reported this morning.

The Michigan State job opened up Feb. 4 when Mark Dantonio, himself a former UC head coach, retired. Fickell previously coached with Dantonio at Ohio State. The Detroit Free Press quickly reported that Fickell was the front-runner for the job.

After Michigan State officials left a meeting with Fickell at his home around noon Sunday, it was understood that the job was his if he wanted it, Thamel reported. But Fickell reportedly talked it over with his family and decided to stay.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/02/10/ucs-fickell-makes-decision-about-michigan-state.html

• Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers