Sign in to follow this  
buildingcincinnati

University of Cincinnati Bearcats Football Discussion

There is a severe lack of Bearcat fans here. That game was amazing, but not a peep.

I just think most go elsewhere for Bearcats discussion (at least I do).  I traveled down to the game against VT from New York and it was amazing - right up there with the Pitt win in 2009.  Just wish I could be at a sold out Nippert this weekend for homecoming.

Yeah, I don't really talk sports in general on UO.  As a UC grad, I'm a fan, but unfortunately we don't get every game up here in Cleveland.  I did see last week's game and it was an incredible finish.  I thought for sure we were going to lose.

Butch Jones Resigns as UC Football Coach

Just as Kelly and Dantonio did, he stayed for three years, then left for a better paying job.

Here's a gem of a quote after he signed a contract extension through 2017 with UC last year:

“I think I’ve proven that I want to be here,” Jones said last year after he agreed to the new contract. “This is a very special place. We’re building something really special here. I ask our players to make a commitment and I need to make a commitment back.”

He is leaving for Tennessee. He will have to pay a $1.4 million buyout (about what he made this year as coach at UC).

Does anyone else think the NCAA should prohibit coaches from leaving until after the BCS Championship game is finished? Players are forced to take a year of ineligibility for transferring, why shouldn't coaches? And to be clear, I have no issue with coaches leaving, but there should be no negotiations until every team is finished with the season.

To me it's tampering talking to a coach and hiring him before  bowl game.

I agree. I feel bad for UC and also for Kent State which also lost its coach to Purdue BEFORE it heads off to the GoDaddy.com bowl....

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/kent_state_coach_to_stay_with.html

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Yeah, you know all these guys preach committment and hard work, only to leave their players in the dust before the last game of the season.  Brian Kelly, left before the Sugar Bowl!!  The biggest game in these kids lives (most would never play in a bigger game) and he simply abandoned them.  That's pretty cold.

I'll start bemoaning the coaches heading for a better situation and paycheck when the players start honoring their own 4-year commitment.

Completely disagree.  Player's don't get paid (at least legally).  Unfortunately, many of these guys have families that are relying on them to go pro.  Plus, the majority of college football players do not play professionally after college.

After the past week, I was definitely ready to see him go. Honestly, if it weren't for a few bad coaching moves, UC would be in the Sugar Bowl. Attempting to ice the kicker at the end of the Louisville game was idiotic. As was sticking with Munchie Legeaux for so long before switching to Brendon Kay.

Point being, he might be a good coach, but he's not great. UC can do a lot better.

I predict Tuberville stays with Cincinnati if he has two successful seasons (while reaching top ten ranking with one loss or undefeated season(s) while winning the BE both years) and UC gets into a major conference. Otherwise I don't see him staying in Cincinnati. The key to keeping Tuberville here is to get into a major conference in the next two years or so.

Cincinnati seeks $70M to revamp Nippert Stadium

The University of Cincinnati will launch a private fund-raising drive later this month for a $60 million to $70 million renovation of Nippert Stadium.

UC President Santa Ono said he didn’t promise the renovation to new football coach Tommy Tuberville but that it would capitalize on the momentum of the lightning-quick hire and make UC more attractive to other conferences.

“I didn’t say, ‘I promise you X,’ ” Ono said. “I didn’t even say that to Butch Jones.”

As for the Atlantic Coast Conference, which UC is looking to join: “I know what they were looking for from us. The things that we’re doing are aggressive addressing those concerns.”

That’s a Texas Tech blog written by jilted fans (and recruits) about the coach that just quit there to take a job for a team they probably consider inferior.  In other words, take it with a grain of salt.

And oddly enough, Tuberville's quick exit from Texas Tech is similar to Brian Kelly's from UC, and he's in the midst of a probably national title run as we speak.

Yeah.  No need to worry.  It's not like Tuberville has done this kind of thing before.  Well, except for when he coached Mississippi and made the statement, "They’ll have to carry me out of here in a pine box," in reference to not leaving to coach at another school.  Two days after he made that statement, it was announced that he was departing for Auburn. [ref]  Or his explanation of this year's sideline incident (captured by TV cameras below) when he said he was trying to get an assistant coach off the field when he grabbed an assistant coach's headset. [ref]

Tommy Tuberville Rips Headset off Assistant Coach Texas Tech vs. Kansas]

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with what airforce_jm and ryanlammi said about Tuberville looking to get back in the SEC.  This guy seems like a sleazy snake-in-the-grass.  Watch your back with this guy UC.

^I honestly don't understand what the big deal is about him ripping off the assistant's headset... Can someone explain why this is such a big deal? He didn't physically assault the guy. He was pissed about something, but I don't why people are making a big deal about it...

It's disrespectful and a sign of him having a temper which he can't necessarily control 100%.

I agree he seems like a snake, but from my perspective it is just a business deal. If he bails for the SEC, that probably means he has done a good job at UC, which is all I want him to do. After the past three coaches, it's obvious there is no sense in getting emotionally invested in them. As long as he advances the program in the time he is here, it's all gravy.

It's disrespectful and a sign of him having a temper which he can't necessarily control 100%.

I agree he seems like a snake, but from my perspective it is just a business deal. If he bails for the SEC, that probably means he has done a good job at UC, which is all I want him to do. After the past three coaches, it's obvious there is no sense in getting emotionally invested in them. As long as he advances the program in the time he is here, it's all gravy.

Tuberville is no more of a snake than Jones, or Kelly or anybody. Glad UC hired him. His staff will recruit very well which is really important as UC is in conference purgatory. Tubs to the SEC might not be accurate at all. His wife is from the area and has family around here. Arkansas, Tennessee had openings and he did not get a call from them. Time will tell.

There is noise that Travis Kelce might get selected in Round 1, over the TEs from ND, Stanford etc. That hasn't happened since Greg Cook in 69', for a UC player.

Another one of those 1-2 star high school recruits. Some of these recruiting sites are a joke.

UC officially announces 2014 games at Paul Brown

The UC football team will play all of its 2014 home games at the Bengals’ Paul Brown Stadium while Nippert Stadium is being renovated, the school officially announced today.

UC recently announced a renovation plan for Nippert, with the expectation that 2014 home games would be at Paul Brown Stadium. Today’s announcement makes it official, with Nippert expected to be ready for the 2015 season.

Whit Babcock ‏@WhitBabcock 18m

We'll have more fans in Nippert Stadium next Sat vs Purdue than ever before in UC history. Now is the time...to make our mark

We'll have more fans in Nippert Stadium next Sat vs Purdue than ever before in UC history. Now is the time...to make our mark

That's going to make the bathroom situation awesome

Pit stops at Nippert require strategy, lol

Pit stops at Nippert require strategy, lol

Maybe that's what "making your mark" means.

Wasn't this also the case at Riverdump Stadium?

WMMS bussed a bunch of my friends and me down there once because they liked my joke the best that week.  After the first attempt, let's just say that we were on the very top row and noticed the drainage holes someone had been imprudent enough to add there...

I have never been in a football stadium built before the 90’s that had adequate bathrooms. Some of them are almost nostalgic, like the pee trough urinals at Notre Dame Stadium. I don’t remember Riverfront having too much of a line during the typical Reds game, other than sellouts, and of course Bengals games are always a more drunken affair.

The trick for the Nip, though, is to wait until halftime and to into one of the buildings nearby and go up a few floors.

I have never been in a football stadium built before the 90’s that had adequate bathrooms. Some of them are almost nostalgic, like the pee trough urinals at Notre Dame Stadium. I don’t remember Riverfront having too much of a line during the typical Reds game, other than sellouts, and of course Bengals games are always a more drunken affair.

The trick for the Nip, though, is to wait until halftime and to into one of the buildings nearby and go up a few floors.

Cleveland Municipal Stadium had the "pee trough", as does (did) Wrigley Field.  There's a video on Youtube of a drunk using the latter's as a slip and slide.

I'm surprised they let people in and out like that.

The East side of Nippert isn't too bad restroom wise, and the concourse is extended to the plaza around Fifth Third Arena and the tennis courts

where there is also, food, beer, and porto o johns. Most college stadiums have issues with having enough johns and such, they are not

NFL stadiums for sure. The upcoming renovation will be well received. In the Sheakley lawn and tailgating grid you buy $1 Draft beers.

Looks like McClung has hammy issues and Shaquille Washington has, at least officially, taken over the starting role.  Jeremy Graves is second team at one of the other WR positions.  Two Maple Heights Mustangs alumni now playing for the Bearcats (ironically, the name of their HS archrival).

Looks like McClung has hammy issues and Shaquille Washington has, at least officially, taken over the starting role.  Jeremy Graves is second team at one of the other WR positions.  Two Maple Heights Mustangs alumni now playing for the Bearcats (ironically, the name of their HS archrival).

UC is going to play a large rotation of players on Sat. I hope McClung plays, most experienced WR on the team. Still wondering if Holton and the WR transfer from

Arkansas are eligible to play WR? Really hope Kay is good to go.

UC is going to play a large rotation of players on Sat. I hope McClung plays, most experienced WR on the team. Still wondering if Holton and the WR transfer from

Arkansas are eligible to play WR? Really hope Kay is good to go.

Shaq is small, but is something else in the clutch.  He was Maple's QB when they won the state championship.  They were down 26-7 in the title game at one point, and won 45-33.  They just gave him the ball, and Madison couldn't stop him.  He scored like six touchdowns after that point, it was surreal.

I also saw him snap back from a mini meltdown that would have become a complete one for most kids at that level, against Lake Catholic.

You got your wish for McClung playing. He fumbled on a punt return, leading to Purdue's only scoring drive in the first half.

Cats up 14-7 currently, at the half.

Welp, McClung saved Purdue from a shut-out. Final score: 42-7. Bodes well for the Bearcats!

I think Munchie only had one turnover, which for him is an improvement -- though we'll see if he can keep that up. His most consistent attribute has been inconsistency.

36k record-setting crowd at Nippert. Great start to the season, handing a thoroughly decisive defeat to B1G. I'm pretty psyched for the season. The Bearcats should be a contender again for the conference title and a BCS bowl. Still don't understand how L'ville starts in the top-10 and Cincy is not ranked, though; Cincy had the same record last year and almost beat them (would have were it not for Jones icing a kicker at the buzzer).

Edit: Actually, Munchie had 2 turnovers (both interceptions). Still, he played well.

Welp, McClung saved Purdue from a shut-out. Final score: 42-7. Bodes well for the Bearcats!

I think Munchie only had one turnover, which for him is an improvement -- though we'll see if he can keep that up. His most consistent attribute has been inconsistency.

36k record-setting crowd at Nippert. Great start to the season, handing a thoroughly decisive defeat to B1G. I'm pretty psyched for the season. The Bearcats should be a contender again for the conference title and a BCS bowl. Still don't understand how L'ville starts in the top-10 and Cincy is not ranked, though; Cincy had the same record last year and almost beat them (would have were it not for Jones icing a kicker at the buzzer).

Edit: Actually, Munchie had 2 turnovers (both interceptions). Still, he played well.

First pick was good play by Purdue DT, second int was on Munchie. Best game he has played to date, but Kay is still the better

player. McClung got surprised by that excellent punt. Bond made his first start at Center, Redshirt Freshman, and played very well.

Beers went down very easily at the game.

Illinois was awful last year, but Purdue was a bowl team, and one could say they’ve been indicative of the average Big Ten team the past few years (usually ending up around .500). Are they really just awful this year or are the Bearcats that good? Aside from capitalizing on that excellent punt/UC fumble Purdue didn’t accomplish a single thing. They really didn’t even have any successful drives and seemed to get worse as the game went on.

It’s was also nice to see Pitt get off to a losing start in the ACC.