Guest oakiehigh

Cincinnati: Western Hills: Development and News

- These three homes and one business on Race Rd have now been demolished and they are in the process of grading the property.  https://goo.gl/maps/3e641Z76YiQ2

I went to the batting cage that used to be located there when I was a kid, and back when the railroad overpass still stood.  The batting cage was built into the hill and had two levels, from what I recall.  Actually I think there was an indoor soccer field on the "ground" level and then the batting cages were on the higher level on the hill. 

The loss of the rail ROW was a disaster for the west side.  If that had been made into a nice bike trail back in the late 80s I think we'd really be talking about a different place.  The loss of the crazy bridge with the pillars in the street and the Wagon Wheel bar for what is now a completely generic intersection...gah. 

Remember it all very well.

Ah yes, it's coming back.  You walked to the right of the indoor soccer field and then up steps to the batting cages.  There was slow, medium, fast, and very fast.  The very fast was...very fast.  Like 95mph.  I think I got in the "fast" one time and barely made contact. 

They also had that round batting cage out at Farwick Field, near the driving range.  I feel like I did better at that one maybe because of the lighting. 

Cheviot definitely should be kept in mind when looking at Westwood.  It's NBD is almost completely intact, but it's not considered cool because of how blue collar it is. 

Yeah I don't think it would take much for Cheviot to suddenly turn the corner and land on the citywide radar.  It is a very walkable part of the city.  Well, its own city.  The homes are 70/30 3-bedrooms versus 2-bedrooms.  The problem with 2-bedroom houses is that investors more easily buy them up and turn them into rentals. 

Monfort Heights has practically zero sidewalks and is completely unwalkable/bikeable.  White Oak does have sidewalks but nobody walks or rides bikes there.

Are you sure. I swear over the past fews weeks I have noticed lots of walkers and a few bikes or maybe it was bigfoot chasing a coyote.

Cincinnati's largest neighborhood enters three-year development partnership

crop6-1*750xx4000-2250-0-208.jpg

The largest neighborhood in Cincinnati will soon pioneer new ways to foster growth and encourage real estate investment thanks to a recent partnership between a community-specific nonprofit and an “urban growth firm.”

Westwood Works, a community development organization representing the Queen City’s most populous neighborhood, will collaborate with the recently established strategic development consulting firm Yard & Co. to craft and implement a community investment plan over the next three years.

The brainchild of Kevin Wright, former executive director of Walnut Hills Redevelopment Foundation, and Joe Nickol, former senior urban designer with MKSK, Yard & Co. aids communities in the planning and implementation stages of strategic development.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/06/05/westwood-enters-three-year-development-partnership.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

TriHealth reveals $56M expansion on West Side

screen-shot-2018-07-24-at-104506-am*750xx989-556-0-1.png

TriHealth CEO Mark Clement revealed today that the Cincinnati-based hospital system intends to more than double the size of its Good Samaritan Western Ridge medical center in Green Township, a $56.6 million project that will boost primary care as well as specialty care for cancer and heart patients.

About 100 new jobs are to be created. More than 500 TriHealth employees are expected to work at Good Samaritan Western Ridge once the project is completed. Most of those positions will be in nursing, medicine and other clinical positions.

Site excavation and land preparation for the 88,000-square-foot expansion has begun, and the building is expected to open in winter 2020. The project will result in outpatient medical campus that encompasses 141,000 square feet off of Interstate 74 near the intersection with I-275.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/07/24/trihealth-reveals-56m-expansion-on-west-side.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

1 hour ago, oakiehigh said:

If there were a west side bridge to the airport and I-275, it would bring Delhi out of its isolation and provide the demand for mixed use development. 

(Side Note: that bottom rending looks like having your cake and eating it too, with lots of pedestrians walking down a  wide open road with fast moving cars)

Edited by thebillshark

www.cincinnatiideas.com

It boggles the mind that several Cincinnati suburbs are now building mixed-use new urbanist infill, yet Cincinnati continues to settle for suburban strip malls within city limits.

5 minutes ago, taestell said:

It boggles the mind that several Cincinnati suburbs are now building mixed-use new urbanist infill, yet Cincinnati continues to settle for suburban strip malls within city limits.

are you saying that Oakley station isnt urban??

11 minutes ago, taestell said:

Well, we’ll see which places can execute the vision into reality. A lot of it depends on being willing and having the courage to change the roads and stroads into real streets as I allude to above. Another model out there that I think misses the mark is to have mixed use all confined to a designated area, hemmed in by high speed arterials or vast parking lots, that is not walkable from or to any other locations outside the development (for example Liberty Center)  

Edited by thebillshark

www.cincinnatiideas.com

10 minutes ago, seaswan said:

are you saying that Oakley station isnt urban??

What was originally proposed for "Millworks":

Millworks.jpg

What was actually built after it was renamed Oakley Station:

Oakley-Station.jpg

While Newport on the Levee and Liberty Town Center are not great examples of new urbanism, at least developers made an attempt with those projects.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, taestell said:

What was originally proposed for "Millworks":

Millworks.jpg

What was actually built after it was renamed Oakley Station:

Oakley-Station.jpg

While Newport on the Levee and Liberty Town Center are not great examples of new urbanism, at least developers made an attempt with those projects.

dont worry, I was just messing around. 

Seeing the millworks proposal hurts my soul 

• Like 1

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but did anyone go to or hear about the Delhi community input meets that happened Monday and Tuesday of this week? Interested to see if plans were released. Interesting site, the former Remke.