zaceman

Cleveland: Lakefront Development and News

I don't feel these conversations about the convention center should be centered around the lakefront thread. This would mean the Hilton is included right? So i'm going to create a separate topic for the convention center.

• Like 1

Can we start a discussion of why the Soap Box Derby track takes up that prime piece of real estate? You could literally put that anywhere. All you need is a slight hill. It’s for one weekend a year, and isn’t that large of a draw. 

Edited by marty15
  • Like 3

^ I don't think there will be developers pushing hard for that site while others exist nearby, and the current odors continue to permeate. I always catch the strongest whiffs going by the derby track.

• Like 1

I wonder what happened that the odors have been so bad for the past year-ish.  I don't remember it being that bad before.  Sucks for the people who've purchased homes in that area in the last couple years at high prices, just to have the neighborhood constantly smell like sewer.  Sucks for the people that have lived there a long time, too, of course!

• Like 1

Yeah I feel like there's lots of plants around that don't have the smell one.  There's one in the Rocky River Valley right on the west end of Lakewood / East of Rocky River that I've spent a lot of time in the general vicinity of and have never got any fumes from it.  I wonder if there's some type of design deficiency at the one on the shoreway there.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 10:00 AM, Frmr CLEder said:

Each of the three "Cs" has their own unique qualities that should be marketed accordingly to attract conventions. Unlike the other two, Cleveland benefits from world-reknowned, outstanding arts & culture (CMA, PHSF, CO, RRHF, etc.)3 pro-sports team venues, top-world ranked medical facilities, proximity to Cedar Point/Lake Erie islands and a dense urban core.

Are these advantages being appropriately marketed to conventioners?

Toledo (pop.275K) gets no respect from the 3Cs even though it's only slightly smaller than Cincinnati (pop. 299K). Ohio should be recognised as having four significant cities rather than three imo.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, shack said:

Toledo (pop.275K) gets no respect from the 3Cs even though it's only slightly smaller than Cincinnati (pop. 299K). Ohio should be recognised as having four significant cities rather than three imo.

While completely irrelevant to this thread, Toledo's MSA is smaller than Akron and Dayton.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Urgent request ... can somebody find me a pic of that old design competition entry for bridging the Shoreway from about a decade ago ... the one with the wavy/undulating white steps that almost evoked a Santiago Calatrava Design?

I’m at a party with a high ranking city official and we are chatting about projects. I brought that old design up and he said he didn’t recall it. Thanks!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Paul in Cleveland said:

Urgent request ... can somebody find me a pic of that old design competition entry for bridging the Shoreway from about a decade ago ... the one with the wavy/undulating white steps that almost evoked a Santiago Calatrava Design?

I’m at a party with a high ranking city official and we are chatting about projects. I brought that old design up and he said he didn’t recall it. Thanks!

https://www.cleveland.com/architecture/2010/01/cleveland_design_competition_w.html?outputType=amp

A3E23231-E1F8-4FA4-92A2-149D7F5EBE05.jpeg

Edited by Sapper Daddy
There’s a second picture contained inside the article
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Paul in Cleveland said:

So there may be movement on some sort of lakefront bridge soon. That's all I know, but it comes from a very credible, high-on-the-food-chain source. I got the impression that something new was involved.

My feeling on any "bridge" to the lakefront is that we have to go "All-In" with an ambitious plan for it to have a real impact. Otherwise it will likely be a boondoggle.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Paul in Cleveland said:

So there may be movement on some sort of lakefront bridge soon. That's all I know, but it comes from a very credible, high-on-the-food-chain source. I got the impression that something new was involved.

Man, that’s terrific news, but definitely the news we’ve been burnt by before.  Are you able to hint at who’s backing this?  Public/private partnership I hope.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 3:08 PM, Sapper Daddy said:

Man, that’s terrific news, but definitely the news we’ve been burnt by before.  Are you able to hint at who’s backing this?  Public/private partnership I hope.

I wasn't told anything more than there may be movement on it soon. I could tell that the person wasn't willing/able to share any more so I didn't push it. Especially in a casual, party setting. 🙂

• Like 2

A nice landscaped and  functional Land Bridge which includes an expansion of the Convention Center would be GREAT!

It would of course make it easier to get to all of the attractions at North Coast Harbor by walking and it should help with added attendance. 

And if they can design it to include space for additional development and a multi modal transportation hub like KJP has wrote about, it could also help with the BROWN'S and PACE'S potential development plans too!

Edited by Larry1962
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Paul in Cleveland said:

I wasn't told anything more than there may be movement on it soon. I could tell that the person wasn't willing/able to share any more so I didn't push it. Especially in a casual, party setting. 🙂

Next time, liquor-up that guy! 😮

EDIT: he won't need to. I just found out some of the gory details. Article coming, along with renderings (hopefully!).

Edited by KJP
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

"Corporations are not people, and money is not speech." -- Move To Amend (aka, Americans' only hope of getting their country back. Every else traces back to the need for campaign finance reform.)

2 hours ago, KJP said:

EDIT: he won't need to. I just found out some of the gory details. Article coming, along with renderings (hopefully!).

Hopefully gory news is good news. It has to be be land bridge with the intermodal transportation system.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 12:08 PM, Sapper Daddy said:

Man, that’s terrific news, but definitely the news we’ve been burnt by before

Only about 22 times lol. I'm not the only one on this forum who has kept an entire drawer full of abandoned Lakefront plans. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KJP said:

I have this bad feeling it's going to be like what happened with the North Coast Harbor Bridge. And it's going to look exactly like it, just bigger

• Sad 1

From the SHW HQ TOPIC:

#freefourur said:

I think there was a proposal by Geis for an office campus type of development on the edge of Burke near 9th Street.  I think that could be a legitimate site if SW wants a campus style setting. 

I am not sure if Geis still has an option on the land though. 

DOES GEIS STILL HAVE AN OPTION ON THE LAND NEXT TO BURKE LAKEFRONT 

TO DEVELOP IT FOR OFFICES ECT??

Edited by Larry1962

11 minutes ago, Larry1962 said:

From the SHW HQ TOPIC:

#freefourur said:

I think there was a proposal by Geis for an office campus type of development on the edge of Burke near 9th Street.  I think that could be a legitimate site if SW wants a campus style setting. 

I am not sure if Geis still has an option on the land though. 

DOES GEIS STILL HAVE AN OPTION UP THE BURKE LAKEFRONT LAND TO DEVELOP IT??

To be clear, they did not have an option on the airport land but some parking lots on the edge of the airport near the USS Cod.

A cruise ship I’ve never seen here before is docked this morning. Anyone know what outfit it is? Looks nicer, and larger than the other ones I’ve seen here. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, marty15 said:

A cruise ship I’ve never seen here before is docked this morning. Anyone know what outfit it is? Looks nicer, and larger than the other ones I’ve seen here. 

Photos, man!!

"Corporations are not people, and money is not speech." -- Move To Amend (aka, Americans' only hope of getting their country back. Every else traces back to the need for campaign finance reform.)

Currently none of the cruise lines begins or terminates a voyage in Cleveland. The traffic at the port is day-trippers off the ship; typically there is no baggage or taxis/ubers/etc. involved - just tour buses. The Victory people say they begin and end trips in cities with large hub airports, which Cleveland is no longer. So it's not likely Cleveland will see more than day-trippers in the near future. No need, therefore, for a large terminal. The city just needs something to keep the pax out of the rain for immigration checks and waitng for tour buses, which is more or less what the Port Authority is already building at Dock 28.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

That's a German owned ship that holds 420 people.   Presumably sailed from Europe.

Just got lunch at Otani Noodle and sat next to three people speaking German. They each had a noodle bowl and a beer. I presume they were from the cruise ship. 😄  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, E Rocc said:

That's a German owned ship that holds 420 people.   Presumably sailed from Europe.

What gives here? Are German Cruise ships now making Cleveland a port?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lakefront+plan+PACE_09-10-19.jpg

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, 2019

Lakefront development project to start this winter

After shedding its partner Trammel Crow Co., things are starting to move a little faster for Cumberland Development LLC. when it comes to its lakefront development project. Demolition for and construction of the lakefront project is due to start in January.

This week, Cumberland President d*ck Pace released a fully updated plan (see image above) for his lakefront development that includes timelines and phasing for new and larger buildings. The revised plan also scuttles the idea of re-using one of the two old Dock 30 port warehouses as previously proposed. Instead, both warehouses are to be demolished.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/09/lakefront-development-project-to-start.html

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6