Cleveland: Lakefront Development and News

6 hours ago, simplythis said:

K

KJP: Great news with the land bridge and multi-modal transportation system. Is there room in there for the  convention center  expansion going north?

Yes, if they build something like the 1998 plan. Unfortunately that's not what they're apparently considering. 

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

2 hours ago, KJP said:

Yes, if they build something like the 1998 plan. Unfortunately that's not what they're apparently considering. 

Weren't we talking just recently either upthread or in another thread that the convention center recognizes a need to expand to stay competetive in the near future

• Like 1

5 hours ago, simplythis said:

Weren't we talking just recently either upthread or in another thread that the convention center recognizes a need to expand to stay competetive in the near future

Yes. Interestingly consider these dollar amounts for projects being considered in isolation to each other....

Land Bridge/Mall D -- $65 million

Multimodal Transportation Center -- $70 million

Convention Center expansion -- Unknown, but tens of millions is likely

Long-sought parking deck -- Unknown, but tens of million is likely

So when we get done building all of these projects in isolation to each other, we could be talking about $200 million in total. Well, guess what?? That's the price of that really cool North Coast Transportation Center design from 1998 that everyone says costs too much yet could incorporate all of these individual projects. AND there is funding available to build the entire thing right now IF the city uses some of the $25 million for design/engineering and IF the city, port authority or RTA are willing to issue bonds or secure a Railroad Rehab & Improvement Financing loan to pay the entire tab for constructing the whole thing. But, like my source said, for some reason no one in the public sector wants to debt finance capital projects anymore. Instead, everyone wants "free money" aka grants which requires lots of competition and waiting.... In Canada, they still believe in debt financing and thus get projects done much more quickly.

Edited by KJP

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

This is incredible news, KJP! My only thought, is there enough space to relocate the Greyhound bus station there? The current Greyhound building alone (without the parking and bus lane) is about 250x170ft = 42.5k sq ft. By my (very) rough google maps measurements, this plot is only 115x430ft, or about 50k sq ft. 

image.thumb.png.2683a1eda5c20a683bd7bdec5e32bcf3.png

12 hours ago, KJP said:

great-lakes-expo-lake-erie-plaza.jpg

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2019

Downtown-lakefront land bridge has momentum, funding

If the city has its way, a $65 million land bridge linking Downtown Cleveland's malls to the lakefront could soon be the centerpiece of a multi-faceted plan to enhance the area around North Coast Harbor. Developments surrounding the proposed land bridge include expansion of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Great Lakes Science Center, Cumberland Real Estate Development's next phases as well as a multi-modal transportation center.

MORE"

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/02/downtown-lakefront-land-bridge-has.html

Nice!

This old photo always reminds me of the Charles Bridge in Prague:

prague-empty-charles-bridge.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 4:14 PM, KJP said:

More graphics. Still, nothing is shown on the CPC's website in regards to the property on the north side of the Shoreway. (both of these are landbank properties)....

As shown on the agenda:

DF2019-010 - East 55th Mixed-Use Development: For Informational Purposes Only
Project Addresses: 5500 North Marginal and 5700 South Marginal Roads
Project Representative: Hannah Cohan Plessner, B.R. Knez Construction

E_55th_Development_IMG_08.jpg

E_55th_Development_IMG_06.jpg

E_55th_Development_IMG_05.jpg

E_55th_Development_IMG_04.jpg

E_55th_Development_IMG_03.jpg

E_55th_Development_IMG_02.jpg

The view from I-90... So is that supposed to be retail/restaurants facing the highway? 

If not, then where is the mixed-use in this conceptual plan? Is that's what's going to be on the north side of the Shoreway??

E_55th_Development_IMG_01.jpg

From the building typologies to the decks facing the water, this is beginning to remind me of the Back Bay neighborhood in Boston right along the Charles River. Let's include some brick and public greenspace / bike paths with this development and holy crap will this become an amazing neighborhood! 

Back Bay.PNG

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MuRrAy HiLL said:

Nice!

It really would be great if the land bridge design from the 30's was truly incorporated, statues and all, with a modern-flair. I like the idea of an Art-Deco revival in modern architecture, and this could be a great opportunity to dream about what that might look like.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, smimes said:

This is incredible news, KJP! My only thought, is there enough space to relocate the Greyhound bus station there? The current Greyhound building alone (without the parking and bus lane) is about 250x170ft = 42.5k sq ft. By my (very) rough google maps measurements, this plot is only 115x430ft, or about 50k sq ft. 

On this question, I wonder what the effect would be if we just closed the eastbound offramps from the Shoreway to 9th Street. I mean, I know people would freak out, but after things settled down and traffic adjusted by exiting onto Lakeside or swinging all the way around onto the innerbelt, how much worse would traffic be?  

Knez's proposal wasn't well received based on the design review notes. I don't feel the number of units is the problem, but the jagged/offset layout, which makes the whole thing feel busy and uninviting.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3096&CASE=DF 2019-010

Committee Actions/Submissions

Date:February 7, 2019

Committee: Staff

Action Type: Initial Plan Submission

Conditions/Notes: 

The planned density feels somewhat relentless.  Consider reducing the number of units, and create more communal spaces which encoruage interaction and a sense of "dwelling" for the residence.

Consideration needs to be given to how this site connects to the surrounding neighborhood and environment to maximize the potential of the "amenities" that surround this locations.

Date:February 14, 2019

Committee: Local Design Review Committee

Action Type: No Action Taken

Conditions: 

Edited by Mendo

^Sometimes I don't understand committee members.  This area is completely isolated in St. Clair/Superior and has no existing neighborhood fabric to build off of.  It's literally putting a development in a place where no neighborhood retail exists.  Besides the Lake, what neighborhood amenities are within a short walking distance?  

• Like 2

"The planned density seems somewhat relentless.  Consider reducing the number of units..." 

People keep telling me the market insists on low-density development for Cleveland.  And there's nothing anyone can do to affect the godlike will of the market!  But both of those ideas are consistently proven false-- the market keeps proposing higher density and local government keeps shooting it down. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, smimes said:

The current Greyhound station was built in 1948 near the peak of intercity bus travel (1960s) when about 200 buses arrived and departed the station daily. Today it sees only about 30 buses daily.

I'm on a roll, with another blog article coming after this one....

I-90+approach+to+downtown-2018-2.jpg

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2019

Gordon Park area -- Cleveland's next housing boom site?

Recent real estate projects show the strength of the housing market in Cleveland, especially in certain neighborhoods accessible to downtown and the lake. New projects are taking at a stab at an undeveloped area for housing -- East 55th Street and the Shoreway, just west of Gordon Park.

When motorists enter Cleveland on Interstate 90, they get an up-close view of Lake Erie to their right that is spectacular at sunset. But to their left is an underwhelming collection of low-level, single-use commercial structures and vacant lots.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/02/gordon-park-area-clevelands-next.html

• Like 2

And Crain's coverage of Knez's meeting with the city.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/downtown-shoreway-housing-plans-are-delayed

Downtown, Shoreway housing plans are delayed
STAN BULLARD    

CLEVELAND CITY PLANNING COMMISSION
West-facing windows -- to maximize lake and city views -- abound in the project that Knez Homes has proposed for a South Marginal Road site east of East 55th Street near downtown Cleveland. City planners have requested more detail on the plan and more open space.

Knez Homes of Concord Township is revising its plans for townhouses on Superior Avenue downtown and for townhouses and apartments at 5700 South Marginal Road overlooking the East Shoreway.

Bo Knez, the owner of Knez Homes, said in a phone interview on Friday that this was his firm's first appearance before the body, and he found that it required more detail than the firm has submitted at design reviews by planning commissions in other cities. "We'll be back soon," Knez said.

Edited by Mendo

15 hours ago, Mendo said:

And Crain's coverage of Knez's meeting with the city.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/downtown-shoreway-housing-plans-are-delayed

Too dense.....in a city. Riding through Columbus for this weekend made me realize that density is good and when done correctly, sparks life into a neighborhood. Before coming here I'd never seen a city where parking is on both sides of a street, and two way streets are the size of alleys. The homes are built so dense that it surrounds you and feels active at all times. This could be that similar type of neighborhood, a jumpstart to something amazing. I am not against the green space comment completely but when we have green space (Gordon park) that is underutilized, I don't think it's truly a necessity. The "too dense" comment makes me worry that this development can potentially be watered down. I'm cautiously optimistic to see what they come up with though.

23 hours ago, MyPhoneDead said:

Too dense.....in a city. Riding through Columbus for this weekend made me realize that density is good and when done correctly, sparks life into a neighborhood. Before coming here I'd never seen a city where parking is on both sides of a street, and two way streets are the size of alleys. The homes are built so dense that it surrounds you and feels active at all times. This could be that similar type of neighborhood, a jumpstart to something amazing. I am not against the green space comment completely but when we have green space (Gordon park) that is underutilized, I don't think it's truly a necessity. The "too dense" comment makes me worry that this development can potentially be watered down. I'm cautiously optimistic to see what they come up with though.

The greenspace they're talking about is the useless kind, treelawns and setbacks and pocket parks.  Holdovers from outdated planning logic.  Too small to resemble nature or offer any kind of escape, but big enough to create a maintenance hassle that never ends.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 327 said:

The greenspace they're talking about is the useless kind, treelawns and setbacks and pocket parks.  Holdovers from outdated planning logic.  Too small to resemble nature or offer any kind of escape, but big enough to create a maintenance hassle that never ends.

Words that should be heard by every planning board in every city. These greenspace requirements put unfunded, costly mandates on developers, small businesses and residents. Why? We (and not just Cleveland) but everywhere seem to have this bizarre lawn addiction. They're not even proposing public spaces with benches and fountains outside of a ground-floor cafe that can be useful, sociable places that foster a sense of community. Instead, it's just a stupid strip of grass that is too small to be useful. Might as well just allow the developer to instead put in some fake grass and spare the tenants the extra maintenance fees.

Great to see some kind of proposal for the South Marginal Road site near E55th. But I really like the notion of more “”Quay 55”

type projects north  of the shoreway.  It’s  hard to believe that opportunities to rent or own on the lakefront so close to downtown have not been further developed. I really believe this is a case where once these kinds of developments are made available, there will be a dynamic market for them - provided that they are done right.  One design aspect I don’t like about Knez’s initial proposal is how a whole row of townhomes looks directly into the side of a big apartment building. There’s got to be a way to tweak that neighborhood design, keeping density - cutting unnecessary so- called green space and giving as many units as possible an open view. 

On 2/15/2019 at 11:20 AM, KJP said:

Yes. Interestingly consider these dollar amounts for projects being considered in isolation to each other....

Land Bridge/Mall D -- $65 million

Multimodal Transportation Center -- $70 million

Convention Center expansion -- Unknown, but tens of millions is likely

Long-sought parking deck -- Unknown, but tens of million is likely

So when we get done building all of these projects in isolation to each other, we could be talking about $200 million in total. Well, guess what?? That's the price of that really cool North Coast Transportation Center design from 1998 that everyone says costs too much yet could incorporate all of these individual projects. AND there is funding available to build the entire thing right now IF the city uses some of the $25 million for design/engineering and IF the city, port authority or RTA are willing to issue bonds or secure a Railroad Rehab & Improvement Financing loan to pay the entire tab for constructing the whole thing. But, like my source said, for some reason no one in the public sector wants to debt finance capital projects anymore. Instead, everyone wants "free money" aka grants which requires lots of competition and waiting.... In Canada, they still believe in debt financing and thus get projects done much more quickly.

Any chance the SkyLift is resurrected with a terminal at the transportation center? 

• Love 1

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:42 PM, MuRrAy HiLL said:

Nice!

I was recently on the Charles Bridge in Prague.  I love seeing older bridges.  Then again, Prague has always been a visual gem.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 2:03 AM, CleveFan said:

One design aspect I don’t like about Knez’s initial proposal is how a whole row of townhomes looks directly into the side of a big apartment building. There’s got to be a way to tweak that neighborhood design, keeping density - cutting unnecessary so- called green space and giving as many units as possible an open view. 

One reason for the close proximity may be to cut down on those arctic winds off the lake. 

On 2/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, E Rocc said:

I make this trip all the time, and I've thought that too.   But it's an older city and the western lakeshore has always been more residential.   There's the airport of course, Gordon Park, and then you are in Bratenhal.   After Bratenhal comes the easterly water treatment plant, then the "Beach" neighborhoods (including mine).   Then you get to the old Euclid Beach Park....where the towers are de facto public housing.    What does that say about the demand for high density housing housing on the Lake itself?  Outside of two towers in Bratenhal, everything is suburban type housing.  High end suburban, in Bratenhal itself.

Also, keep in mind that while we think of the Shoreway as directly on the Lake thanks to Gordon Park and points west, it really isn't once you get east of 152nd.   Even Lakeshore Boulevard jogs a few blocks away.   Then there's the railroad, which is why there's all those commercial buildings.  And lots where they were.

That's a good point, but then look at the demand (and expense) of lakefront property on the west side. Multi-million dollar mansions in Cleveland proper, followed by Lakewood High rise condos and apartments, followed by more million dollar homes in Lakewood, Rocky River and Bay Village. The demand is there, but outside of Bratenahl there is a difference in the neighborhoods south of the areas immediately adjacent to the Lake on the east side and into Euclid. Once in extreme eastern Euclid and into Willowick, prices start to go up again.

Edited by Mov2Ohio
  • Like 1

That's one of the benefits of the East 55th/lakeshore area, as the neighborhood just south of the tracks is more stable/better than areas east of there. As for the lakefront north of the tracks west of East 55th, the neighborhood south of the tracks isn't a neighborhood. It's just a bunch of old warehouses, including some cool brick buildings that are possible candidates for conversion to residential, live-work, co-working and incubators.

On 2/16/2019 at 2:43 PM, MyPhoneDead said:

I’m reminded of an episode on the West Wing when the Jimmy Smits character provided an extreme example to an abortion defender to point out that everyone supports some limits, the question is where.

Of course there is such a thing as “too dense”, especially in an American city and double especially in a noncoastal one.  The question is where that line is practically drawn, and there’s no single solution.

59 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

I’m reminded of an episode on the West Wing when the Jimmy Smits character provided an extreme example to an abortion defender to point out that everyone supports some limits, the question is where.

Of course there is such a thing as “too dense”, especially in an American city and double especially in a noncoastal one.  The question is where that line is practically drawn, and there’s no single solution.

Okay I gotta ask...can you point me to a development in Cleveland (or anywhere in USA) within the past 50 years that you can point to as "too dense" in your opinion? Because yes, I agree there is such a thing as too much density....but Cleveland? I just don't see any tangible, real world issue here. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KJP said:

That's one of the benefits of the East 55th/lakeshore area, as the neighborhood just south of the tracks is more stable/better than areas east of there. As for the lakefront north of the tracks west of East 55th, the neighborhood south of the tracks isn't a neighborhood. It's just a bunch of old warehouses, including some cool brick buildings that are possible candidates for conversion to residential, live-work, co-working and incubators.

I’m not too familiar with Euclid, but in Collinwood there’s north and south of the Shoreway, with Lakeshore Blvd being a secondary boundary.  

North of Lakeshore between the water treatment plant and Euclid Beach/Wildwood Parks you have some condos and a trailer park south of Wildwood, the towers at the old amusement park site, and a few small neighborhoods such as mine.   They are technically private, indeed people have been “moved on” from Beulah Park when they don’t live along it and Shore Acres is even more assertive .   All dead end streets for an obvious geographical reason, so no through traffic.

In this section the shore moves northeast, so the prevailing winds are harsher.   This is probably why it hasn’t gone  high end.  

Between Lakeshore and the Shoreway is typical urban, but not really blighted.   You don’t see a lot of ruins and vacant lots like you do in South Collinwood.   The industries flank the highway to the south, providing an additional buffer.

41 minutes ago, surfohio said:

Okay I gotta ask...can you point me to a development in Cleveland (or anywhere in USA) within the past 50 years that you can point to as "too dense" in your opinion? Because yes, I agree there is such a thing as too much density....but Cleveland? I just don't see any tangible, real world issue here. 

There was a comment that at least implied the idea of "too much" was a dumb concept in a city.  I was disagreeing with that.

• Like 2

So the last time I posted something about the Outlet Shoppes at Cleveland, it got ugly. MayDay brought the Ax, people got suspended..lol. Hey I'm just the messenger! Anyway it is just another project I keep an eye on. So The Horizon Group just posted there 2018 3rd quarter results and it shows predevelopment costs of 405k toward the Shoppes of Cle, up from 181k in 2017. What is also interesting is that Horizon has abandoned 2 other projects one in CT the other in Malaysia to concentrate on other projects with Cleveland being one. That's the second time recently that a company, the other being City Club Apartments, left other markets to focus on Cleveland. Interesting. They have also posted a new marketing brochure with some different images than before. Just your basic renderings but they are updated. Just to refresh this would be built across from BKL between the Shoreway and the RR tracks bounded by 90 to the east and into to a part of the muni lot to the west. Not crazy about that site. If they are determined to build this my choice would be on and around the Greyhound property between 13th and 17th. across from Hofbrau House. Link to brochure http://www.horizongroup.com/Post/sections/3/Files/cleveland 2018 lw.pdf

pixlr_20190223223651155.jpg

Edited by freethink
  • Like 2

One positive to this is that it could lead to development of housing on the Muny Lots. Although that could block my plan for extending the Waterfront Line as a downtown loop.... 

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:12 PM, KJP said:

great-lakes-expo-lake-erie-plaza.jpg

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2019

Downtown-lakefront land bridge has momentum, funding

If the city has its way, a $65 million land bridge linking Downtown Cleveland's malls to the lakefront could soon be the centerpiece of a multi-faceted plan to enhance the area around North Coast Harbor. Developments surrounding the proposed land bridge include expansion of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Great Lakes Science Center, Cumberland Real Estate Development's next phases as well as a multi-modal transportation center.

MORE"

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/02/downtown-lakefront-land-bridge-has.html

KJP...Stan Bullard's article this week in Crain's dealing with many aspects of Lakefront development discusses the land bridge but the tone is way less optimistic than your blog article with (of course) money being the big stumbling block.  While your blog states the city hopes to have to it built by 2022, Bullard's article simply states it will be one of many topics "discussed" at a Green Coalition Summit scheduled for August of 2019. 

Edited by Htsguy

Because Stan doesn't have the sources I have. If he did, he wouldn't keep getting scooped by me. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, roman totale XVII said:

Many? It's a crappy brochure for sure, but I only noticed one, 'hild', when I scanned it.

Cleveland now leads the nation in season ticket holders for touring Broadway shows.

^ I thought that was interesting. But yeah the brochure seems like an incomplete and rushed job. They leave out Crocker Park under the area retail section, but include Summit Mall? 

39 minutes ago, surfohio said:

Cleveland now leads the nation in season ticket holders for touring Broadway shows.

^ I thought that was interesting. But yeah the brochure seems like an incomplete and rushed job. They leave out Crocker Park under the area retail section, but include Summit Mall? 

They also cited Case but don't put them down as a college/university in Cleveland...

Looking at the interior renderings, I'm struggling to see how this plan is any different from Tower City or the Galleria.  And if we can't fill those why build another mall?  Why not use this tenant concept for one of those malls instead? 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2019 at 11:27 PM, freethink said:

So the last time I posted something about the Outlet Shoppes at Cleveland, it got ugly. MayDay brought the Ax, people got suspended..lol. Hey I'm just the messenger! Anyway it is just another project I keep an eye on. So The Horizon Group just posted there 2018 3rd quarter results and it shows predevelopment costs of 405k toward the Shoppes of Cle, up from 181k in 2017. What is also interesting is that Horizon has abandoned 2 other projects one in CT the other in Malaysia to concentrate on other projects with Cleveland being one. That's the second time recently that a company, the other being City Club Apartments, left other markets to focus on Cleveland. Interesting. They have also posted a new marketing brochure with some different images than before. Just your basic renderings but they are updated. Just to refresh this would be built across from BKL between the Shoreway and the RR tracks bounded by 90 to the east and into to a part of the muni lot to the west. Not crazy about that site. If they are determined to build this my choice would be on and around the Greyhound property between 13th and 17th. across from Hofbrau House. Link to brochure http://www.horizongroup.com/Post/sections/3/Files/cleveland 2018 lw.pdf

pixlr_20190223223651155.jpg

I know I’m in the minority here but I love it. I think it’s a great idea and will attract people who may not ordinarily come downtown or to the city in general 

I'm indifferent. But if it spurs residential development of the Muny Lots (or even Burke), then I'm for it.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:17 AM, KJP said:

One positive to this is that it could lead to development of housing on the Muny Lots. Although that could block my plan for extending the Waterfront Line as a downtown loop.... 

Wasn't that the original plan? The usage would surely increase, especially with proximity/access to CSU and other area businesses.

Also, what is the viability of an outlet mall in the urban core? Who would it be competing with? Aurora? That sure is a haul, but another new shopping center for Cleveland when many are struggling? 

Unless I missed it, it doesn't seem anyone has posted this recent piece from Crains. In it Richard Pace says he will start another project in June. Now remember this June is when his option is up with the city so he is going to have to turn some dirt. The article mentions a 'school' but nothing further on that. Not sure where that came from. As speculated by another poster here it may be those warehouses already on site that is the target.

"Developer Dick Pace of Cumberland Real Estate Development told Crain's he expects to break ground in June on land north of FirstEnergy Stadium that will be home to a school and a residential neighborhood."

https://www.crainscleveland.com/government/opening-new-fronts-cleveland-lakefront-development

On 2/26/2019 at 10:49 PM, freethink said:

Unless I missed it, it doesn't seem anyone has posted this recent piece from Crains. In it Richard Pace says he will start another project in June. Now remember this June is when his option is up with the city so he is going to have to turn some dirt. The article mentions a 'school' but nothing further on that. Not sure where that came from. As speculated by another poster here it may be those warehouses already on site that is the target.

"Developer Dick Pace of Cumberland Real Estate Development told Crain's he expects to break ground in June on land north of FirstEnergy Stadium that will be home to a school and a residential neighborhood."

https://www.crainscleveland.com/government/opening-new-fronts-cleveland-lakefront-development

A lot of information in that article - with a theme being just how unfocused and slow  Cleveland’s 

lakefront development continues to be. The unavailability of money here effectively halts big projects while Pittsburgh, for example, makes a civic investment of  $130 million in their waterfront, profucing $ 2.6 billion in commercial development. We learn that Mayor Jackson and the city do have “a vision” of Cleveland’s future lakefront - in fact, we’re 15 years into a 50 year masterplan! However, a master plan for what to do with Burke can’t begin until 2020 because we’re going to start a master plan for Cleveland Hopkins - soon.  With this lack of urgency and/or vision, the great steps that are  eventually, hopefully taken to transform Cleveland’s waterfront, are likely to be seen by only the youngest among us. 

• Like 3