zaceman

Cleveland: Lakefront Development and News

And even if they were still open, you have to traverse a steep set of stairs to get to them and they dump you out right onto a highway with cars zooming past at 50+ mph, not to mention it was a very aesthetically unpleasant walk. 

This is the presentation which was part of the recent meeting open to those contractors interested in bidding on the construction of the Lakefront Pedestrian Bridge. It appears from the study that the decision remains as to if the deck will be steel or concrete as you will see when the diagram refers to 'orthotropic' or 'composite'. A lot of detail. Steel would offer a structure of reduced weight while being more expensive due to the amount of welding and prefabrication involved. Looks like groundbreaking would start summer of '16 and take about a year.

http://publicworks.cuyahogacounty.us/pdf_publicworks/en-US/071315-PED-BikedesignBuildPP-Wrkshop.pdf

Wasn't sure if this should go here, or the demolition thread.  I'm hoping for something worthwhile on the lakefront, even with the Shoreway there...

FirstEnergy's Lakeshore power plant will be demolished

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- FirstEnergy is preparing to demolish its century-old Lake Shore power plant at E. 70th Street and South Marginal Road adjacent to the East Shoreway.

FirstEnergy closed the last of the power plant's coal-fired boilers in April.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/08/firstenergys_lakeshore_power_p.html?hootPostID=8424393cecf92b1dffd5297384e613ca

As a former Eastsider I'll be sad to see this behemoth taken down.  It always announced that you were in the City since downtown became very visible after passing it.  I remember as a kid the "Noel" Christmas lights they'd put on the west face of the building.  The tall smoke stack also had a different light scheme at the top that lined the whole diameter in red light.

As a former Eastsider I'll be sad to see this behemoth taken down.  It always announced that you were in the City since downtown became very visible after passing it.  I remember as a kid the "Noel" Christmas lights they'd put on the west face of the building.  The tall smoke stack also had a different light scheme at the top that lined the whole diameter in red light.

I've spent a lot of time in coal fired plants. These structures are really built to last. It may be short sighted to tear down so fast.

I've spent a lot of time in coal fired plants. These structures are really built to last. It may be short sighted to tear down so fast.

I was thinking the same thing...but then again I guess it's been there for quite some time.

How long has it been since they decorated it for the holidays?

Something doesn't add up here. No Geis project at Burke has gone to planning commission....

Some development around Burke Airport about to take off

Tom Beres, WKYC-TV 7:22 p.m. EDT September 4, 2015

We discovered some development is about take off at and around Burke while it stays an airport.

Szabo says an FAA cost analysis just being completed is the final obstacle to starting construction of an office building on Burke parking lot space.

The Geis Brothers, who built the Cuyahoga County Administration Building and converted the Ameritrust headquarters into a grocery store and luxury living space, are behind the project.

Burke Airport Commissioner Khalid Bahhur says "We are working closely with the Geis brothers to make it a go." Groundbreaking could happen this month.

MORE:

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/cleveland/2015/09/04/some-development-around-burke-airport---take-off/71726650/

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Something doesn't add up here. No Geis project at Burke has gone to planning commission....

maybe it goes next round? or maybe it doesn't need to go to CPC for projects on city-owned property? No idea...just throwing out some possibilities.

Not news, but a summary of the harbor project...

@ClevelandPlus: #CLE's lakefront will soon get a makeover as plans

are underway to develop more than 20 acres of lakefront

property! http://t.co/m2zziWH6lF

No renderings posted yet for these agenda items, but variations of them have been posted here before:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/10022015/DRC2015_10_1.pdf

Downtown/Flats

Design Review Agenda

Thursday October 1st, 2015

Cleveland City Hall

Room 514

*Final Design Development Approval

4. Project: DF2015-044: North Coast Harbor – Site 1A

Project Address: North Coast Harbor – Voinovich Park

Project Representative: Richard Pace, Cumberland Development; Gary Ogrocki & Matt

Plecnik, Dimit Architects; Simon Beer, Office of James Burnett

*Schematic Design Approval

5. Project: DF2015-066: Cleveland Lakefront Bicycle and Pedestrian Bridge

Project Address: Bridge Connecting Mall “C” to Cleveland Lakefront

Project Representative: Brian Reynolds, Parsons Brinckerhoff

*Denotes agenda item will also appear before the Cleveland City Planning Commission the

following day, Friday, October 2nd, 2015.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/10022015/index.php

City Planning Commission

Agenda for October 2, 2015

DF2015-066 – Cleveland Lakefront Bicycle and Pedestrian Bridge: Seeking Schematic Design Approval

Project Location: Span over RR tracks and Shoreway near Amtrak Station to connect Mall C to Lakefront

Project Representative: Brian Reynolds, Parsons Brinckerhoff

Bike_Ped_Bridge_01.jpg

Bike_Ped_Bridge_02.jpg

Bike_Ped_Bridge_03.jpg

Bike_Ped_Bridge_04.jpg

Bike_Ped_Bridge_10.jpg

Bike_Ped_Bridge_12.jpg

Bike_Ped_Bridge_21.jpg

Bike_Ped_Bridge_22.jpg

The bridge is baaaack... It's actually quite attractive in this form.  I'm just hoping that elaborate curly-Q landing to the side of the Rock Hall won't impair the building's iconic visage. 

One thing I would change. Before it starts the curly q, I would add stairs that walk down toward the rock hall.  Still keep the curly however as shown, just add stairs too.  Just seems like a lot of extra walking if coming and going to the rock hall, or E 9th Pier attractions.

One thing I would change. Before it starts the curly q, I would add stairs that walk down toward the rock hall.  Still keep the curly however as shown, just add stairs too.  Just seems like a lot of extra walking if coming and going to the rock hall, or E 9th Pier attractions.

You can see stairs in the rendering closer to the Rock Hall.

I like it.  Reminds me a bit of that bridge in Boston, on a smaller scale of course.  If Lakefront development really takes off, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a twin built

Did anything change from when this was postponed? Or is it more about the construction and not having to eliminate any detail now that we aren't in such a rush?

That a lot of cash, and this city has a lot of needs.  Bridge looks nifty but seems unwise in the context of those needs.

This developer deems that bridge to be very important for its lakefront project. It loves the multi-modal station project too, enough that it wants the facility designed in such a way that a private-sector development could be built as part of it. But I don't think this TIF is part of that. I think this is for the streets, sewers etc. that are needed for the previously announced phases...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/10162015/index.php

City Planning Commission

Agenda for October 16, 2015

MANDATORY REFERRALS

Ordinance No. xxx-15(Ward 3/Councilmember Cimperman): Authorizing the Director of Economic Development to enter into a Tax Increment Financing Agreement (TIF) with Cumberland TCC for Lakefront Parcels A-B-C in the Lakefront Development Project.

Ordinance No. xxx-15(Ward 3/Councilmember Cimperman): Authorizing the Director of Economic Development to enter into a Tax Increment Financing Agreement (TIF) with Cumberland TCC for Lakefront Parcels D-E-F in the Lakefront Development Project.

Plus:

DOWNTOWN/FLATS DESIGN REVIEW

DF2015-044 – North Coast Harbor Site 1A: Seeking Final Approval

Project Location: North Coast Harbor, Voinovich Park

Project Representatives: Richard Pace, Cumberland Development

Gary Ogrocki, Dimit Architects

Matt Plecnik, Dimit Architects

Simon Beer, Office of James Burnett

David Ebersole, City of Cleveland

Note: This project received Schematic Design Approval on June 5, 2015.

North_Coast_Harbor_04.jpg

North_Coast_Harbor_06.jpg

North_Coast_Harbor_10.jpg

North_Coast_Harbor_13.jpg

Love the volleyball idea!

I heard a woman in the City's Law Department has been making things VERY difficult for the developer lately regarding land leases.  Hope they can work through it. 

I believe that lakefront land leases are extremely complex, particularly land fill land.  Technically the land underneath the fill land (the original lake floor) is state property. 

^I agree 100%. But who knows, the state may be leasing that "land" to another party at higher rates than it is to be purchased by the city.  I'm sure it runs deeper (pardon the pun) than we all know. 

I doubt the State would be making things difficult by choice. But once you involve multiple levels of government, and on top of that multiple departments and agencies within those governments....it simply gets caught up in the slow moving bureaucratic mess. :/

There's certainly a lot of red tape involved, and from what I understand because it is reclaimed land there are multiple levels of government that are involved here. I think that the priority should be on getting this project underway as soon as possible. Once this is done I think it will give a lot of credibility to the rest of the lakefront plans.

I'm sure there is also some environmental risk that the state is not offering indemnity on that the City is fighting for. 

I heard the problem is with a woman in the City Law Dept who is assigned to this (not the State).  That is causing a hold up now.   

One person's hold up is another's making sure contracts are written correctly to follow proper use of taxpayers money.

hmmm.  For some reason I knew that was coming.  :wink:

There's certainly a lot of red tape involved, and from what I understand because it is reclaimed land there are multiple levels of government that are involved here. I think that the priority should be on getting this project underway as soon as possible. Once this is done I think it will give a lot of credibility to the rest of the lakefront plans.

Red tape like this put one of Ohio's oldest companies (Taylor Chair) out of business when they were trying to do the right thing.

Downtown Cleveland lakefront development could see city funding for infrastructure, parks.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/10/downtown_cleveland_lakefront_d_1.html#incart_river_home

Great work by mjarboe[/member] for clearing up questions I had regarding 'site b'. I was wondering what happened with that component of Phase 1.  Pace hopes to break ground on that 4 story building late in the year. Also that Cleveland Pickle and Cleveland Bike Tours are possible tenants, along with Pace who plans to move his office there. Thnx Michelle!

Does anyone else question the Cleveland Pickle thing? It's basically a lunch only place (open 11-4) and it's going to either move from 9th/Euclid or open a new spot all the way down on the lakefront?

Don't get me wrong I know they want foot traffic there but getting a big lunch crowd seems like a pipe dream. But! I live downtown and don't work there so maybe I'm wrong....

Does anyone know when the North Coast Harbor bridge supposed to be installed?  This project has been in the works since 2007

Lakefront enough I guess

*Schematic Design Approval

4. Project: DF2015-104: Superman Plaza

Project Address: Erieside Avenue

Project Representative: Hutch Stoller, Chairmen, Superman Committee; David Deming,

Artist; Donn Angus, Chief City Planner, City Planning Commission

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/11202015/DRC_2015_11_19.pdf

And this is how you get streets and utilities into a lakefront development....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/11202015/index.php

City Planning Commission

Agenda for November 20, 2015

Ordinance No. 1400-15(Ward 3/Councilmember Cimperman): Authorizing the Director of Economic Development to enter into a Tax Increment Financing Agreement with Cumberland TCC, LLC, or its designee, or others, to provide for redevelopment of Sites A, B, and C as part of the Lakefront Development Plan; to provide for payments to the Cleveland City School District; and to declare certain improvements to real property to be a public purpose.

Ordinance No. 1401-15(Ward 3/Councilmember Cimperman): Authorizing the Director of Economic Development to enter into a Tax Increment Financing Agreement with Cumberland TCC, LLC, or its designee, or others, to provide for redevelopment of Sites D, E, and F as part of the Lakefront Development Plan; to provide for payments to the Cleveland City School District; and to declare certain improvements to real property to be a public purpose.

City Planning Commission approves early "schematic" plans for lakefront Superman monument

http://www.cleveland.com/arts/index.ssf/2015/11/city_planning_commission_appro.html#incart_river_home

CLEVELAND, Ohio –The city's Planning Commission gave an enthusiastic thumb's up on Friday to plans for a Superman monument on the city's lakefront.

"This is going to be an awesome addition," said commission member Lawrence Lumpkin, who chaired Friday's meeting.

Lakewood artist David Deming described his vision for a 13-foot-long stainless steel statue of the Man of Steel, which would be mounted on a 36-foot-high pylon.

At least there will be something to look forward to on Cleveland's lakefront! Maybe we should have built more of this instead of the Factory Of Sadness?

Cleveland City Council approves first of six tax deals for lakefront development

http://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/index.ssf/2015/11/council_approves_first_of_six.html

At least there will be something to look forward to on Cleveland's lakefront! Maybe we should have built more of this instead of the Factory Of Sadness?

Cleveland City Council approves first of six tax deals for lakefront development

http://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/index.ssf/2015/11/council_approves_first_of_six.html

Phase I is very modest, but ya gotta start somewhere. I'm glad to see this finally getting some positive traction.

Here ya go. I opened up my checkbook, moved the FirstEnergy substation, constructed the warehouses and light industrial buildings, and built the mid-rise residential buildings that grow in height from the Quay 55 on the west to the approximate current height of the top of the First Energy smokestack (the numbers in the buildings show building heights in stories, except when followed with a K which refers to the thousands of square feet those commercial buildings could be sized). So when you head out east on the Shoreway, let me know how you like it! :)

16992474000_022fca745b_b.jpg

Hey, the first step in "The Dream Project" above.... :)

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/12042015/DRC2015_12_3.pdf

Downtown/Flats

Design Review Agenda

Thursday December 3rd, 2015 Draft

Cleveland City Hall

Room 514

* Final Design Development Approval – Demolition

1. Project: DF2015-107: FirstEnergy Lakeshore Power Plant Demolition Project

Project Address: 6800 South Marginal Road

Project Representative: Leo Slansky, Independence Excavating, Inc.; John Estremera, FirstEnergy

BTW: reminder that there is speculation of future alternative uses but nothing firm yet....

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/08/firstenergys_lakeshore_power_p.html

I'm going to be sad to see that power station go. To me it's always been the equivalent to London's Battersea. I always thought it would make a pretty kick ass concert hall (not sure of the acoustics) or a cool, grungy kind of nightclub. I'm sure any type of conversion would take an obscene amount of money though. Oh well...