Cleveland: Lakefront Development and News

"Cleveland has thus far been coy about its plans, saying only that FirstEnergy Stadium, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the lakefront will play huge roles, and that such downtown locations as the Huntington Convention of Cleveland and Public Square will be involved. But the city has almost two years to plan — not counting the years of work that were put into landing the draft — for an event that once was referred to as Cleveland's Super Bowl (prior to the Browns having actual Super Bowl hopes), and Gilbert and his group are quite accustomed to multitasking."

https://www.crainscleveland.com/sports-business/when-nfl-draft-touches-down-2021-it-should-be-huge-hit-cleveland

I'll be very interested to see what lakefront plans vault ahead on account of the above.

Looking to the Pittsburgh example, its interesting to note that their Sports and Exhibition Authority created the "Regional Destination Financing Plan" (RDFP) to amass significant funds from a variety of public and private sources, including professional sports teams. Aside from stadium improvements, the RDFP was leveraged to invest in surrounding infrastructure, including the Pittsburgh light rail system. 

http://www.pgh-sea.com/StadiumAuthority.htm

Is anyone aware of similar mechanisms in Cleveland? I'm not familiar with what the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission has at its disposal to raise funds, but in my view, engaging the Cleveland Browns to help fund the multi-modal transportation center / landbridge / other wishlist items is a no-brainer. Taking a queue from KJP's February blogpost about the landbridge, there's already $25 million+ of momentum to get us there. 

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/02/downtown-lakefront-land-bridge-has.html

If winning the 2021 NFL draft isn't enough motivation to engage the Cleveland Browns and other private organizations for additional funding, then debt finance the rest, what is? 

(all said though, the two-year runway just doesn't seem like enough time for the multi-modal center unless its planning to date has put the project on the finish line)

Funding.PNG

Edited by ASP1984
  • Like 1

I had to finally get this out of my system. I feel much better now. ?

Lakefront-after1.jpg

TUESDAY, JUNE 4, 2019

Cleveland can energize its lakefront in 10 years. Here's how...

Greater Clevelanders' favorite past-time is to complain about the weather. But somewhere in their top-five of complaints is probably the attractiveness of our downtown lakefront. As I write this, several projects proposed for the lakefront are in active discussions by community leaders and appear to be competing for the same pieces of real estate.

They don't need to. In fact, when combined, they provide complementary uses and can tap funding resources that make them more likely to occur -- and possibly in short order, depending on political will.

The projects, in no particular order, are:

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/06/cleveland-can-energize-its-lakefront-in.html

• Like 9
  • Love 8
  • Thanks 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Outstanding!! I’ve daydreamed about the potential of these various projects and over the years made my own sketch-ups of various potential projects on paper....to see how these could feasibly happen within our lifetime is really exciting! 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

The downtown transit loop (completion of the waterfront line) I think would be transformational for downtown and would attract more investment than the Euclid Ave BRT did.

I agree that the loop completion would be transformational and would attract significant investment. That said, the Euclid Ave BRT is an extremely high bar for investment. Perhaps The benchmark should be the BRT related investment downtown as opposed to in its entirety. The former could be a reasonable goal. 

2 hours ago, KJP said:

Lakefront-after1.jpg

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/06/cleveland-can-energize-its-lakefront-in.html

This whole thing is outstanding - nice work! My biggest question is related to the previous efforts to convert the west Shoreway into a boulevard. It seems that proposal was overruled by ODOT. How do we advocate differently for this proposed highway to boulevard conversion so that it actually happens?  It seems like that would be the most politically difficult aspect of the whole proposal. This new proposal is something that could actually happen, so it’s worthwhile to think about the necessary political steps to make it a reality    

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KJP said:

Lakefront-after1.jpg

TUESDAY, JUNE 4, 2019

Cleveland can energize its lakefront in 10 years. Here's how...

Greater Clevelanders' favorite past-time is to complain about the weather. But somewhere in their top-five of complaints is probably the attractiveness of our downtown lakefront. As I write this, several projects proposed for the lakefront are in active discussions by community leaders and appear to be competing for the same pieces of real estate.

They don't need to. In fact, when combined, they provide complementary uses and can tap funding resources that make them more likely to occur -- and possibly in short order, depending on political will.

The projects, in no particular order, are:

MORE:

I think that one of our north-south streets could easily accommodate our light rail. I also think that it would be extremely beneficial, that if hypothetically this would ever happen, to have alternating trains going directly through tower city or through the WFL to tower city. This could benefit the university, as well as a lot of businesses. Much of the northeast Downtown area is very underutilized, which this could help with.

light_rail.jpg

wpid-20140715__1-GreenLine_lightrail.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

This whole thing is outstanding - nice work! My biggest question is related to the previous efforts to convert the west Shoreway into a boulevard. It seems that proposal was overruled by ODOT. How do we advocate differently for this proposed highway to boulevard conversion so that it actually happens?  It seems like that would be the most politically difficult aspect of the whole proposal. This new proposal is something that could actually happen, so it’s worthwhile to think about the necessary political steps to make it a reality    

Thanks! I added this paragraph to the article...

Federal funding (and Ohio Department of Transportation System Conditions funding) is not proposed for converting the Shoreway into a boulevard. The reason is that the Federal Highway Administration will not support a project that reduces a highway's Level Of Service, based on the fluidity of traffic.

Edited by KJP

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

A Modest Proposal (First Draft)

1. Reopen traffic lanes on Detroit-Superior Bridge and link it to Route 2 at W 25th Street in a way that removes the barrier between Ohio City and public housing North of Shoreway Bridge 

2. Demolish Shoeway Bridge

3. Extend proposed Lakefront Boulevard to an intersection with West 9th to feed Detroit-Superior Bridge with old Shoreway Bridge commuter traffic

4. Proposed Lakefront Boulevard would continue to Cuyahoga River where there would be a new lift bridge (photo)

5. Lakefront Boulevard would continue in footprint of demolished Shoreway Bridge and connect to Route 2

EA68F4B7-CD9A-4D7D-A475-818634534C52.jpeg

1958AC26-51D1-4324-B617-84A820670019.jpeg

• Like 3

The ideas presented in KJPs blog are fantastic while being within the realm of possibility for the not so distant future.  I happen to think the Shoreway conversion is a critical piece.  This all encompassing vision  would be transformational to the city, create scores of jobs and forever change for the better how Clevelanders interact with their potentially amazing lakefront.  I don’t know what the city is doing or will do to bring the different aspects of lakefront planning together but perhaps there is work being done to that end already - if not, it should start immediately. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KJP said:

Thanks! I added this paragraph to the article...

Federal funding (and Ohio Department of Transportation System Conditions funding) is not proposed for converting the Shoreway into a boulevard. The reason is that the Federal Highway Administration will not support a project that reduces a highway's Level Of Service, based on the fluidity of traffic.

Thanks, that clarifies one significant part of it. But even if Cleveland does not request ODOT funding, wouldn’t ODOT still push back hard on removing a pretty heavily used highway? Of highways that have been taken down in Ohio (Akron inner belt is the only one I’m aware of, but perhaps there are others) my understanding is that they were underutilized, so it was easier to make the case for removal. Are there examples (in Ohio) more similar to the Shoreway in terms of usage? And what examples could be referenced in other states to help justify the transformation? (And just to be clear, I love the idea and I’m not pushing back, rather I’m trying to figure out the best way to advocate for it based on similar projects elsewhere and anticipating popular and political pushback.)

Edited by Boomerang_Brian
  • Like 1

Lake Erie is by far Cleveland's most underutilized asset and KJP's posting poses some interesting ways to improve access to the lake.  However, the fact remains that the Lakefront isn't well developed presently and further developments remain really limited because there just isn't much lakefront space.  I strongly support extending the Convention Center northward over the RR Tracks, but beyond that Cleveland should spend its time and resources on other more useful project. 

However,  I will completely take back these remarks if the city every decides to seriously pursue the 450 acres of unused lakefront real estate immediately east of North Coast Harbor.

https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/lies-damn-lies-and-the-450-acres-of-prime-lakefront-real-estate-that-is-burke-lakefront-airport/Content?oid=16931820

21 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

Thanks, that clarifies one significant part of it. But even if Cleveland does not request ODOT funding, wouldn’t ODOT still push back hard on removing a pretty heavily used highway? Of highways that have been taken down in Ohio (Akron inner belt is the only one I’m aware of, but perhaps there are others) my understanding is that they were underutilized, so it was easier to make the case for removal. Are there examples (in Ohio) more similar to the Shoreway in terms of usage? And what examples could be referenced in other states to help justify the transformation? (And just to be clear, I love the idea and I’m not pushing back, rather I’m trying to figure out the best way to advocate for it based on similar projects elsewhere and anticipating popular and political pushback.)

I don’t think ODOT would have the legal authority to say no...whether they would be a willing partner is another story.

According to the ORC, “no duty of constructing, reconstructing, maintaining, and repairing such state highways within municipal corporations shall attach to or rest upon the [ODOT] director.”

ODOT claims to defer to municipal governments on land use policy. But that doesn't stop them from using scare tactics to enforce their Norman Bel Geddes' Magic Motorways-based policy toward cities, ie -- "There should be no more reason for a motorist who is passing through a city to slow down than there is for an airplane which is passing over it."

Uh, yes there's a very big reason -- because a city that favors the pedestrian, where people shed their vehicles and walk, is at its most livable and vibrant.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, KJP said:

ODOT claims to defer to municipal governments on land use policy. But that doesn't stop them from using scare tactics to enforce their Norman Bel Geddes' Magic Motorways-based policy toward cities, ie -- "There should be no more reason for a motorist who is passing through a city to slow down than there is for an airplane which is passing over it."

Uh, yes there's a very big reason -- because a city that favors the pedestrian, where people shed their vehicles and walk, is at its most livable and vibrant.

Technically there is a speed limit for planes in airspace over big cities (Cleveland included).   Cleveland is Class Bravo airspace which is restricted to <250 knots under 10,000 feet.   So tell ODOT to put that in their pipe and smoke it! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like pretty much the same concepts that was OK'd by Design Review last month.

I can't believe I'm a week late on seeing the renderings for Shoreline Phase II.  

Here's something that hasn't happened before (or in a long time)- there's more development going on right now in Cleveland than we can keep up with!

Edited by Oldmanladyluck
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldmanladyluck said:

I can't believe I'm a week late on seeing the renderings for Shoreline Phase II.  

Here's something that hasn't happened before (or in a long time)- there's more development going on right now in Cleveland than we can keep up with!

When I walk/ride/drive through the city, I see a development and wonder "where did that come from?!?!?!" In fact, I started the Seeds & Sprouts column to report on smaller projects I'd like to mention, but instead I find myself writing about big projects for which I only have a small amount of information.

• Like 1

If the Metroparks were able to add a nice trail/corridor alongside Burke from E 9th to the E55th Marina, it would really add value to this area, which already appears to be picking up from a development perspective.  Add that to a completed first leg of the midway a little south of here, and I think it can help revive the whole area east of downtown. 

In a meeting I recently attended, a Metroparks rep said they "have a plan in place" for such a trail north of the shoreway, though they indicated that there didn't appear to be enough political will from city hall to push it forward at the moment.  

Good article! Glad to see cle.com finally getting around to covering this story! ?

5 hours ago, Terdolph said:

I just don't think that design, color scheme, etc. is going to age well.

It sounds like the materials and colors were the only things the design committee pushed back on.

2 hours ago, marty15 said:

Strolling through the 5th Street Arcade. Noticed these laying out on the front desk at Cumberland Developments storefront office.

Outstanding detective work! And like any good UrbanOhioan, you did the right thing by posting them here straightaway.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, KJP said:

Outstanding detective work! And like any good UrbanOhioan, you did the right thing by posting them here straightaway.

We’ll all be expecting a full Neo-trans expose shortly ?    Don’t recall Dock 30 being in the conversation before. 

• Like 1

This is what @zbaris87 was talking about.

Posted January 24

I can tell you that this is not an updated design. This doesn't show the warehouses on the north end of the lakefront. Construction is supposed to begin in late spring/early summer on that portion

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marty15 said:

We’ll all be expecting a full Neo-trans expose shortly ?    Don’t recall Dock 30 being in the conversation before. 

I'll see if I can squeeze it in between the two big irons I've got in the fire right now. I'm still waiting for the green light on the condo article but I'll definitely have a big article coming up this Friday.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, MayDay said:

Tell Niagara Falls to turn the spigot on FULL! ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think this has been asked a couple of times on the forum recently but never answered:   Did Cumberland lose it's option since it did not break ground on anything in June?

Edited by Htsguy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let's Be Clear: Developer Richard Pace to share new plans for Cleveland's lakefront

See what plans are in store for Cleveland

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/news/local/cleveland/lets-be-clear-developer-richard-pace-to-share-new-plans-for-clevelands-lakefront/95-a0f1ed6f-70da-4ac5-b45a-f704c0df46fd

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, KJP said:

Let's Be Clear: Developer Richard Pace to share new plans for Cleveland's lakefront

See what plans are in store for Cleveland

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/news/local/cleveland/lets-be-clear-developer-richard-pace-to-share-new-plans-for-clevelands-lakefront/95-a0f1ed6f-70da-4ac5-b45a-f704c0df46fd

Guessing this has to do with the prints I saw.

Major Points from Dick Pace currently on on Let’s Be Clear:

Light Gray (South) New School on the Lakefront to capture younger generation of downtown families to fill in the educational offerings gap downtown

Light Gray (North) - Conversion of one of the warehouses (Dock 39, center of plan below) currently onsite into collaborative, open office space beginning relatively soon

Brown/Orange - 1,000 Lakefront Apartments

Dark Gray (East) - (Possible) Hotel with connection to GLSC (Unclear due to image quality)

Not Pictured - Supposed extension of Mall A B C towards the lakefront (land bridge?)

Unclear - 50,000 sq ft. of Retail

Information Courtesy of WKYC News

Edited by Geowizical
  • Like 4