Guest KJP

Northeast Ohio: Regionalism News & Discussion

A counterview....

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

19 minutes ago, marty15 said:

If the City had their sh*t together, regionalism would be a lot easier. These suburbs see how piss poor CoC services are. There’s no pride, there’s no attention to detail. Nobody should ever need to do a special improvement district. These are all basic things that the city should provide at taxpayer expense. 

I would not necessarily blame merger difficulty solely on Cleveland. The 'burbs don't want to give up any power, because they believe all the money making residents, reside in the burbs and dont want want to lose younger residents to the city.  And they continue to pedal the "only poor people live in the city" BS.

3 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

I would not necessarily blame merger difficulty solely on Cleveland. The 'burbs don't want to give up any power, because they believe all the money making residents, reside in the burbs and dont want want to lose younger residents to the city.  And they continue to pedal the "only poor people live in the city" BS.

That’s fair. But you definitely won’t get residents pushing for it, because of the above stated. And that’s ultimately what you need. Garfield/Bedford/Maple, they’re definitely not where they used to be, but they’re very cognizant of what has been happening in the Slavic Village area crime wise in the last 5-10 years, and has seen that the City has largely failed to address it. It’s things like this that make it really difficult to mend fences. They may seem trivial to those on the outside, but they matter deeply at the grassroots level, where the changes need to take place.

3 minutes ago, marty15 said:

That’s fair. But you definitely won’t get residents pushing for it, because of the above stated. And that’s ultimately what you need. Garfield/Bedford/Maple, they’re definitely not where they used to be, but they’re very cognizant of what has been happening in the Slavic Village area crime wise in the last 5-10 years, and has seen that the City has largely failed to address it. It’s things like this that make it really difficult to mend fences. They may seem trivial to those on the outside, but they matter deeply at the grassroots level, where the changes need to take place.

I think we're going to have different points on regionalism, based on where we grew up and where we currently live. I grew up in Shaker but would NEVER live in Shaker as an adult taxpayer.  I feel a lot of people born in the late 90 early 2000s would want to move in to the city as they have in other regions.  I think the 'burbs are afraid of that.   

My nephew has colleagues that complain about living at home in the 'burbs and painful commutes or high cost of parking.  They all want to live downtown or adjacent areas to be close to work or entertainment.  And now that downtown residential is attracting young people, Ohio City, Tremont, D-S, Central are all family oriented, affordable and desirable, ...the 'burbs are afraid of that. the 70 white flight, maybe a reversed to an urban flight in the next 5 years.

If we can get our rail transportation system on par with DC we could be a more desirable city.

4 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

I think we're going to have different points on regionalism, based on where we grew up and where we currently live. I grew up in Shaker but would NEVER live in Shaker as an adult taxpayer.  I feel a lot of people born in the late 90 early 2000s would want to move in to the city as they have in other regions.  I think the 'burbs are afraid of that.   

My nephew has colleagues that complain about living at home in the 'burbs and painful commutes or high cost of parking.  They all want to live downtown or adjacent areas to be close to work or entertainment.  And now that downtown residential is attracting young people, Ohio City, Tremont, D-S, Central are all family oriented, affordable and desirable, ...the 'burbs are afraid of that. the 70 white flight, maybe a reversed to an urban flight in the next 5 years.

If we can get our rail transportation system on par with DC we could be a more desirable city.

There’s really nothing here I can argue with. There’s a lot of different elements/walls/fears/tribalism to ever make it happen here. The generation that left CLE in the 60,70,80’s has deep seated issues. If you want their pulse, read the cle.com comments. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MyTwoSense said:

@marty15 Yeah, I am normally the first in line to bash the City of Cleveland, but this isn't their fault. Matter of fact, the piss poor services and complacency mentality were caused by 1970s white flight in my view. You have a city that loses half its tax base in a few decades but doesn't lose half of its expenses or infrastructure, you'd have a hard time not half-a$$ing it and triaging everything just to survive. The problem is that became the normal way of doing things, and now the city is turning a corner but many city leaders are stuck in that mindset. Going all the way up to the mayor.

Edited by mu2010
  • Like 4

• Like 1

• Like 1

at least there are efforts -- sounds like akron is the biggest stick in the mud this these days.

NOACA launches regional discussion on merging Metropolitan Statistical Areas to boost NEO in national rankings

Posted Apr 26, 5:02 AM

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Cleveland and Northeast Ohio have been losing population for decades, sliding lower and lower in the national urban pecking order while other regions grow.

But Northeast Ohio could vault back into the top 20 regions in the U.S. if it merged Metropolitan Statistical Areas to better reflect the region’s economic clout.

more:

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/04/noaca-launches-regional-discussion-on-merging-metropolitan-statistical-areas-to-boost-neo-in-national-rankings.html

Edited by mrnyc

1 hour ago, mrnyc said:

at least there are efforts -- sounds like akron is the biggest stick in the mud this these days.

NOACA launches regional discussion on merging Metropolitan Statistical Areas to boost NEO in national rankings

Posted Apr 26, 5:02 AM

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Cleveland and Northeast Ohio have been losing population for decades, sliding lower and lower in the national urban pecking order while other regions grow.

But Northeast Ohio could vault back into the top 20 regions in the U.S. if it merged Metropolitan Statistical Areas to better reflect the region’s economic clout.

more:

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/04/noaca-launches-regional-discussion-on-merging-metropolitan-statistical-areas-to-boost-neo-in-national-rankings.html

Check out the conversation in the Ohio and Cleveland population thread respectively.