KJP

Cleveland: Random Development and News

12 minutes ago, CleCaneFan said:

Ok Pat I’d like to solve the puzzle; what is Jimmy Haslam’s stadium & lakefront plan including a new state-of-the-art hq for Pilot/Flying J?! 

Hell yeah!!🤟🏻

That is what came to my mind too haha. 

46 minutes ago, CleCaneFan said:

Ok Pat I’d like to solve the puzzle; what is Jimmy Haslam’s stadium & lakefront plan including a new state-of-the-art hq for Pilot/Flying J?! 

Hell yeah!!🤟🏻

If this is it, I’d LOVE it

13 minutes ago, simplythis said:

Is pilot J HQ bigger than Progressive

Not by revenue, but obviously there are other ways to judge size. Pilot is private, so it’s a weird comparison to Progressive.

Nevermind, I just realized that's not the question you're asking.

Edited by LlamaLawyer

First time poster, longtime lurker.

I was thinking along the lines of Pilot Flying J, but to be bigger than Progressive, maybe it involves a merger/acquisition between it and Travel Centers of America, which is based in Westlake, with the new headquarters being located downtown. The current Pilot Flying J headquarters could remain in Knoxville in a regional capacity. I doubt Haslam, who is too invested in Tennessee, especially politically, would abandon the state. 

A merger between the two would put it on par, revenue wise, as Progressive.

Also, there is talk of cultural institutions being involved. Could Cleveland Clinic's $260 million gift it received play a role in this?

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2019/11/cleveland-clinic-receives-the-largest-gift-in-its-history-from-the-lord-foundation-of-ohio.html

• Like 3

A few of you are mixing megaprojects.

• Haha 1

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

The Flats needs a coffee shop, so I was happy to see an article that a new coffee shop is opening on the East Bank. But the article says "Archer Bldg." is that the same as Archer Apartments? If so, that's on W9 in the Warehouse District, not the Flats.

"The shop is called The 27 Club and will be located inside the Archer building."

https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainment/machine-gun-kelly-to-open-unique-coffee-shop-in-cleveland/95-19ad5fa7-4494-4502-a892-6392bdcb5941

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MayDay said:

It has frontage on both West 9th and West 10th:

image.png

Not long after the Archer opened as the National Terminals Apartments in 1996 or so, there was a cafe facing West 10th Street. That cafe was an afterthought in the original design, but was added when the Waterfront Line project got the green light i 1994 and a station was proposed across the street. The cafe, which I'd visited only once because it seldom seemed open, soon failed. I don't remember seeing that space used for anything else since except maybe as a residents' meeting/community space.

Edited by KJP

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

49 minutes ago, Pugu said:

The Flats needs a coffee shop, so I was happy to see an article that a new coffee shop is opening on the East Bank. But the article says "Archer Bldg." is that the same as Archer Apartments? If so, that's on W9 in the Warehouse District, not the Flats.

"The shop is called The 27 Club and will be located inside the Archer building."

https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainment/machine-gun-kelly-to-open-unique-coffee-shop-in-cleveland/95-19ad5fa7-4494-4502-a892-6392bdcb5941

What an interesting concept, from the naming/theme of it to the actual function (coffee shop by day/lounge by night).

Definitely will be very curious what it's like and can't wait to check it out! I'm glad to see something go into that space. Let's hope it's a success!

55 Public Square Renovations has it's own thread now.  Please continue discussion here:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2019 at 10:04 AM, urbanetics_ said:

What an interesting concept, from the naming/theme of it to the actual function (coffee shop by day/lounge by night).

Definitely will be very curious what it's like and can't wait to check it out! I'm glad to see something go into that space. Let's hope it's a success!

that's excellent.

yes indeed moving from coffeeshop to nightlife spot as the day rolls into the night is a cool thing to do.

i bet it will be a success with the expanded hours and services.

we have place nearby us that does this -- it's nice:

https://www.kobricks.com/Cafe.aspx

• Like 1

The coffee shop to bar is a great amenity, unfortunately we're losing one next month. AJ Rocco's in the Caxton Building is closing December 20th...

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, w28th said:

The coffee shop to bar is a great amenity, unfortunately we're losing one next month. AJ Rocco's in the Caxton Building is closing December 20th...

Coinciding with the building's sale....

• Like 3

It's very common in Europe.  I always like it.  Hang out with a cup of coffee in the day, switch to wine in the evening.  Same place.  AJ Rocco's is great, but kind of the wrong place for that concept, which is so event driven.

• Like 1

They did a decent breakfast and lunch, good bar staff, Brenden the owner is a great guy. The tenants of the Caxton are the real losers on its closing. A very useful place to have on the 1st floor.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, X said:

It's very common in Europe.  I always like it.  Hang out with a cup of coffee in the day, switch to wine in the evening.  Same place.  AJ Rocco's is great, but kind of the wrong place for that concept, which is so event driven.

Oh honey, lets be honest, Europeans switch to "spirits" and wine at lunch!

children drunks GIF

36 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

Oh honey, lets be honest, Europeans switch to "spirits" and wine at lunch!

children drunks GIF

10am.local time .....my German relations dont wait for lunch lol. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, w28th said:

They did a decent breakfast and lunch, good bar staff, Brenden the owner is a great guy. The tenants of the Caxton are the real losers on its closing. A very useful place to have on the 1st floor.

You’ll see Brendan re-appear at another downtown location real soon.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, KJP said:

We're also home to research facilities for just about every medical imaging device firm. Toshiba was one of the big ones and its imaging biz was recently bought by Canon which wants to greatly expand its medical imaging business.

Apparently I can't copy a quote from another thread and then also type a reply to it in the same post.  This forum software is exasperating sometimes.

Anyway,  was this little snippet at all related to the project you've been hinting at on this thread, KJP?

There's a way to copy a quote -- type a couple of spaces for a new post then quote another posting into it. Then type a couple of letters below the quote. Then highlight the area in your new message, starting from above the quote down to the letters you typed. They should all highlight. Then you can copy or cut them into your new message in another thread.

Edited by KJP

7 hours ago, X said:

Simple!  How didn't I know that?

Just want to point out the redirect KJP took there. Teaching us all a quote trick instead of responding to the Canon question. 

Touché sir. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

REALIFE REAL ESTATE GROUP is the developer who bought the STARK BUILDING on West 3rd Street and also proposed a now defunct project at STARK'S West 9th Street parking lot that Stark is still trying to sell.

BUT whats interesting is that an affiliate of Realife Real Estate Group has recently purchase the Class B asset of a 55,799 square-foot office building known as Metro Center which is located at 6500 Rockside Road in Independence, Ohio for $5.5 million...

So maybe we will still see a new development proposal from them for the CBD at some point?

Or will they sell the former Stark Building on West 3rd Street to SHW for their upcoming HQ & RD Project? 

Or will REALIFE do a complete historical renovation of that building and then enjoy higher rents because of the NEW SHW HQ & RD Project being located next door and with the increase of more retailers and restaurants to support the 6,000 SHW employees?

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/newmark-knight-frank-arranges-office-building-sale-in-cleveland-suburb/

Edited by Larry1962
More details
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Larry1962 said:

REALIFE REAL ESTATE GROUP is the developer who bought the STARK BUILDING on West 3rd Street and also proposed a now defunct project at STARK'S West 9th Street parking lot that Stark is still trying to sell.

BUT whats interesting is that an affiliate of Realife Real Estate Group has recently purchase the Class B asset of a 55,799 square-foot office building known as Metro Center which is located at 6500 Rockside Road in Independence, Ohio for $5.5 million...

So maybe we will still see a new development proposal from them for the CBD at some point?

Or will they sell the former Stark Building on West 3rd Street to SHW for their upcoming HQ & RD Project? 

Or will REALIFE do a complete historical renovation of that building and then enjoy higher rents because of the NEW SHW HQ & RD Project being located next door and with the increase of more retailers and restaurants to support the 6,000 SHW employees?

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/newmark-knight-frank-arranges-office-building-sale-in-cleveland-suburb/

My take is that they are a "Class B" developer.  They don't get me too excited.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Larry1962 said:

If you were wondering what was behind the modern facade.

Landmark_at_corner_of_West_3rd_and_St_Clair.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Old Not Obsolete said:

If you were wondering what was behind the modern facade.

Landmark_at_corner_of_West_3rd_and_St_Clair.jpg

What were the people who covered that thinking? Also it appears (based on the cars in the photo) that even though this was 50 years ago, there was still a parking lot on the site.

I just can't get over how grimy all of the downtown  buildings were until about the late 80s, early 90s.  I'm surprised that any of us survived that pollution. Lol

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Growth Mindset said:

What were the people who covered that thinking? Also it appears (based on the cars in the photo) that even though this was 50 years ago, there was still a parking lot on the site.

Because Victorian era buildings were considered extravagant and unnecessarily fancy.

26 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

I just can't get over how grimy all of the downtown  buildings were until about the late 80s, early 90s.  I'm surprised that any of us survived that pollution. Lol

That's why people of means began leaving Millionaire's Row along Euclid and moved away from the choking pollution, with some going to Bratenahl but most going up into the Heights. The pollution tended to not rise up beyond the old lake escarpment that was Murray Hill/Hungarian Hill/etc.

You can see a little bit of the Superblock in these images that are all circa 1960. The parking lots were already starting to appear by that time....

Aerial of downtown Cleveland-c1960.jpg

Cleveland WHD aerial c1960.jpg

Warehouse District-c1960.jpg

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, KJP said:

Because Victorian era buildings were considered extravagant and unnecessarily fancy.

Great point. In the 50's and 60's there was a strong trend toward a sleeker, futuristic aesthetic. Old haunted looking buildings were out. 

old.JPG

Edited by surfohio

6 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Coal.  There wasn't any point to cleaning a building until coal's usage in the region was drastically reduced.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1