KJP

Cleveland: Random Development and News

I heard some bad news over the weekend.  Hopefully it's not true, but I heard from a Sherwin employee that due to the Valspar acquisition - the expansion of Sherwin may come outside of downtown.  I forget the location, but certainly not the tower on Public Square that we all wanted.

I responded in the downtown office speculation thread:

https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,4266.msg856410.html#msg856410

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

I heard this weekend from a Sherwin-Williams employee they are building downtown and they understand to attract talent they need to be downtown. Again, just a rumor I heard.

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

Wasn't sure where to put this so here you go! Hopefully opening is right around the corner!

When is this opening? Taco Bell is my guilty pleasure and I never see them in Cleveland.

Taco Bell is everywhere. But Cleveland Heights doesn't strike me as a Taco Hell kinda place....

Interesting new job posting. Turner usually oversee large construction projects....

Preconstruction Manager

Req ID: 8868

Find More Find Similar Jobs

Division: Turner

Project Location(s): CLEVELAND OH US , 44115

Apply On-line!

Minimum Years Experience:

Travel Involved: None/Not Specified

Job Type: Full Time

Job Classification: Experienced

Education: Bachelors Degree

Job Family: Construction

Compensation: Not Specified

Position Description:

Overall responsibility for the preconstruction process from project  inception through start of construction.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities

MORE

https://turner.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=8868&site_id=148

I couldn't find an appropriate thread for the Hope Memorial Bridge.  Call me oldschool.  So I put this here for now--mods please move if necessary.

Cleveland guardian bridge lighting out, no government agency wants to make repairs

http://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cle-guardian-bridge-lighting-out-no-government-agency-wants-to-make-repairs

I couldn't find an appropriate thread for the Hope Memorial Bridge.  Call me oldschool.  So I put this here for now--mods please move if necessary.

Cleveland guardian bridge lighting out, no government agency wants to make repairs

http://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cle-guardian-bridge-lighting-out-no-government-agency-wants-to-make-repairs

These types of things have been an issue since...... since we have had a mayor that is ok with mediocrity and dysfunction. 

This story reminds you of how pathetic these types of things have become, and without the pushing of the private community, there really is nobody at the city level that seems to care about such things. 

Other examples have included the multiple bridge lightings, Rockefeller Park bridge and other lighting, stretches of street lighting (especially downtown).   

In a properly run city, these things would be unacceptable. 

Someone should contact LAND Studio with regards to the lighting out on The Hope Memorial Bridge. They were the ones responsible for the lighting and should be able to maintain their investments

I think this city has forgotten that it needs to COMPETE for residents.  We are all free agents to some extent......I lived in Cleveland for a few years 20 years ago and was shocked at how poor the services were.  Seems they've gotten worse.  I'd like to move back into the city....but leadership HAS to do better. Lights.....Garbage......potholes.....cracked poles........  This is basic stuff.

Anyone know if there was a CPC meeting today, there is no agenda posted.  Playhouse tower review was today. Looks like mjarboe[/member] is out of town.  And the planning commission Twitter sucks so don't know what happened.

Good stuff, but I had this story a month ago ;) ......

http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2017/05/cleveland-erring-in-marketing-industrial.html?m=1

An aerial lift equipment firm is building a new facility in Cleveland's industrial valley

June 22, 2017

By JAY MILLER

Ohio High Reach and Coast to Coast Equipment, two related Valley View companies that rent, sell and service aerial lift equipment, will move to the site of a former coke plant and slag dump in Cleveland's industrial valley.

The companies, owned by Carly Cahlik and Tiffany Tutin, are investing about $3.6 million in a six-acre site in the Cuyahoga Valley Industrial Center, on land formerly owned by the ArcelorMittal steel company and purchased and cleaned by the city of Cleveland. The businesses employ 30 people.

A groundbreaking is scheduled for Friday, June 23.

MORE:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170622/NEWS/170629912/an-aerial-lift-equipment-firm-is-building-a-new-facility-in

Anyone know if there was a CPC meeting today, there is no agenda posted.  Playhouse tower review was today. Looks like mjarboe is out of town.  And the planning commission Twitter sucks so don't know what happened.

It was just another ho-hum agenda.

75 unit building in Tremont

41 unit building in Battery Park

36 townhomes in the Avenue District

319 unit 34 story tower in Playhouse Square

The Forest City??

Kevin Leeson‏ @inthewabe  3h3 hours ago

How to ruin your city's tree canopy (an ongoing series): fill the tree pits with concrete.

DDR8VLrXUAA4nFt.jpg:large

Sad, I really think Cleveland has done a pretty good job overall planting new trees the last couple of years.  Where is this?

Sad, I really think Cleveland has done a pretty good job overall planting new trees the last couple of years.  Where is this?

My guess, near the "BP" Building. In hindsight it's probably (hopefully) a temporary measure to keep people from getting hurt. Another sad part of this is how ridiculously expensive it is to plant trees in the city.

Twitter thread revealed these are in front of the Old Arcade on Superior. Google Street view shows trees in 2007 that looked near death in Aug 2009. By 2014 they were gone, and the caps were there by 2015.

Glad to see this. But too bad it wasn't on CPC's agenda otherwise citizens might have known about it and wanted to attend the meeting to speak out about it. CPC falling asleep at the public involvement switch...

City Planning Commission approves Cleveland's first parklet

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2015/06/the_parklet_revolution_is_comi.html

Glad to see this. But too bad it wasn't on CPC's agenda otherwise citizens might have known about it and wanted to attend the meeting to speak out about it. CPC falling asleep at the public involvement switch...

City Planning Commission approves Cleveland's first parklet

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2015/06/the_parklet_revolution_is_comi.html

Maybe it was on the agenda... two years ago?

Wow. Someone tweeted it like it was fresh news, hot off the presses!

So the 2017 question is: where is this parklet?

There needs to be another 3 committee hearings, go back to council, and then be reviewed in another 3 committee hearings.

What the heck?? Can't tell if this is good news or bad..

Oswald Centre, former Eaton Center office towers in downtown Cleveland listed for sale

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/08/oswald_centre_former_eaton_cen.html#incart_river_home

Tower at Erieview and Galleria go up for sale, as RAIT presses pause on apartment plans

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/08/tower_at_erieview_and_galleria.html#incart_river_home

There needs to be another 3 committee hearings, go back to council, and then be reviewed in another 3 committee hearings.

And then Jeff Johnson has to hold a rally in opposition lol.

But seriously, we don't know where this parklet is?

Not much new in this piece, in fact information on Medical Mutual is a bit old...

Cleveland Office Market Sees String of New Projects

https://rebusinessonline.com/cleveland-office-market-sees-string-of-new-projects/

Yep, it took me more than a month of researching and writing the second part to this two-part series. I also posted this in the TOD thread, but few people visit the transportation section so I'm also posting it here...

SATURDAY, JULY 15, 2017

Cleveland transit-oriented development gains traction-Part 1

http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2017/07/cleveland-transit-oriented-development.html

And now FINALLY....

THURSDAY, AUGUST 31, 2017

Transit station-area development activity paces region-Part 2

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2017/08/transit-station-area-development.html

Yep, it took me more than a month of researching and writing the second part to this two-part series. I also posted this in the TOD thread, but few people visit the transportation section so I'm also posting it here...

SATURDAY, JULY 15, 2017

Cleveland transit-oriented development gains traction-Part 1

http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2017/07/cleveland-transit-oriented-development.html

And now FINALLY....

THURSDAY, AUGUST 31, 2017

Transit station-area development activity paces region-Part 2

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2017/08/transit-station-area-development.html

Awesome article Ken! That certainly puts thing in perspective about public transportation!

Looks like there's a S-W tower in there, but it's in the wrong place. If it's supposed to be on the Jacobs Lot or the Weston Superblock, then it should be to the left of Terminal Tower from this angle.

BTW, welcome tastybunns. Not sure where you got your nickname, and not sure I want to know. :)

It's too big. The Hilton is shorter than the Justice Center.

whatever it is its gotta be very close to Ontario as its between the Justice Center and Key, both which are offset from Ontario by only some feet. Thats why i thought it was the hilton, which otherwise doesn't appear in the picture, unless its obscured by the Terminal Tower.