KJP

Cleveland: Random Development and News

This acquisition may make more credit available for multifamily developments, which will hopefully accelerate delivering these projects to the marketplace...

Berkadia Commercial Mortgage, part of Warren Buffett's empire, buys Cleveland firm

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2016/03/berkadia_commercial_mortgage_p_1.html

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Is this for a new development project or just housekeeping? Anyone have any insight what this is about??

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2016/02192016/index.php

City Planning Commission

Agenda for February 19, 2016

Ordinance No. 149-16(Beachwood, Highland Hills, Orange, and Warrensville Heights, OH): Authorizing the Director of Economic Development to enter into an amendment to the Master Development Agreement with Chagrin Highlands, Ltd., City Contract No. 40622, to change certain terms of the agreement.

Ordinance No. 155-16(Highland Hills, OH): Designating certain property owned by the City of Cleveland in Chagrin Highlands in the Village of Highland Hills as a municipal utility district and authorizing the Director of Economic Development to enter into a Municipal Utility District Agreement with the Village of Highland Hills for improvement of said property and sharing of income tax proceeds resulting from the development of the property.

The following may be related to the above...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2016/03182016/index.php

Ordinance No. 292-16(Highland Hills, Ohio): Authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute a deed of easement granting to the Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company certain easement rights in property located in Highland Park Cemetery, and declaring that the easement rights granted are not needed for the City's public use.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

You asked for world-class signage?? You got at least world-class numbers of signs....

GOP convention plans include 1,000-plus banners, signs in Cleveland (photos)

By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer

on March 22, 2016 at 3:27 PM, updated March 22, 2016 at 3:32 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Local promoters and GOP-convention organizers plan to blanket downtown Cleveland with signs in July, welcoming delegates, highlighting venues and masking empty retail spaces.

The Cleveland City Planning Commission got an early look Friday at how the city will be wrapped and presented to a national - and international - audience.

In 2014, Cleveland City Council approved legislation that gave Mayor Frank Jackson's administration the ability to coordinate and enter agreements with the Cleveland 2016 Host Committee, a local nonprofit responsible for organizing, hosting and funding the convention. That legislation mentioned a fast-track review and permitting process for comprehensive convention signs and banners downtown and on major routes into the city.

MORE:

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2016/03/gop_convention_signs_will_blan.html

You asked for world-class signage?? You got at least world-class numbers of signs....

GOP convention plans include 1,000-plus banners, signs in Cleveland (photos)

on March 22, 2016 at 3:27 PM, updated March 22, 2016 at 3:32 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Local promoters and GOP-convention organizers plan to blanket downtown Cleveland with signs in July, welcoming delegates, highlighting venues and masking empty retail spaces.

The Cleveland City Planning Commission got an early look Friday at how the city will be wrapped and presented to a national - and international - audience.

In 2014, Cleveland City Council approved legislation that gave Mayor Frank Jackson's administration the ability to coordinate and enter agreements with the Cleveland 2016 Host Committee, a local nonprofit responsible for organizing, hosting and funding the convention. That legislation mentioned a fast-track review and permitting process for comprehensive convention signs and banners downtown and on major routes into the city.

MORE:

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2016/03/gop_convention_signs_will_blan.html

Yeah, there's many signs for a reason, perhaps....

Instead of covering up the empty storefronts with signs, they should fill them.  This is a great opportunity to bring in some "Pop-up" stores.  It would be a good market test for some national retailers.  And it would add some more life to the street.

I agree with that and am sure most of us would as well, but plans would have had to be made a lot more in advance to do anything like that. Some of those storefronts have been abandoned for a long time, don't even have up to code plumbing or electric. Three months is really not enough time to fill every empty space safely and properly.

I agree with that and am sure most of us would as well, but plans would have had to be made a lot more in advance to do anything like that. Some of those storefronts have been abandoned for a long time, don't even have up to code plumbing or electric. Three months is really not enough time to fill every empty space safely and properly.

I thought of that too later.  It's a good idea, but there isn't enough time to do it elegantly.  We'd risk Sochi Syndrome.

I agree with the time and infrastructure factors.  But there has to be some spaces in Tower City, The Old Arcade and The Galleria that are close to move in ready. 

I agree with the time and infrastructure factors.  But there has to be some spaces in Tower City, The Old Arcade and The Galleria that are close to move in ready.

Why not concentrate Pop-Ups as close to the main heart of the RNC as possible, and depending on how many there are available for the RNC, either concentrate them in the Old Arcade, or Tower City. The Galleria is probably to far away. If there were to be enough Pop-Ups for both TC and the OA, use both, if not use only one of the two.

For the Upper Chester thread...

#CLE Councilman Dow changes course, will support land-swap deal for Innova project in Hough: https://t.co/VWOKSuRcp7 via @marknaymik #CRE

Thought there was a  9/12 District thread? If there is I can't find it.  Meanwhile...

Something called Masthead Brewing Co. is in the works for the old Superior Title building  at 1261 Superior.  Storefront renovation, outdoor patio and landscaping. Recently Incorporated, don't know who is behind it.

Thought there was a  9/12 District thread? If there is I can't find it.  Meanwhile...

Something called Masthead Brewing Co. is in the works for the old Superior Title building  at 1261 Superior.  Storefront renovation, outdoor patio and landscaping. Recently Incorporated, don't know who is behind it.

I was just looking at this building yesterday, thinking how cool I think it is. Seems like it would be a great spot for some outdoor dining.

It seems there will be a change with the Lebron wall banner soon. Not sure if it will remain Cavs specific or maybe something in preparation for the RNC.  Should be on the CPC next week.  Of course I continue to hope for the day it won't be possible to use that space for a banner as a new building will be in it's place.

Here's an interesting adaptive re-use in Old Brooklyn....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldh_f5N0Efc

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2016/crr05-09-2016.pdf

Board of Zoning Appeals

MAY 9, 2016

9:30

Calendar No. 16-062: 4815 Broadview Rd. Ward 13

Kevin J. Kelley

12 Notices

Swedenborgian Church of Greater Cleveland, owner, proposes to change use from church to

accounting office in a C1 Multi-Family Residential District. The owner appeals for relief from the

following sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances:

2 | P a g e

1. Section 337.08 which states that accounting office is not a permitted use in a Multi-Family

Residential District but first permitted in a Local Retail Business District if not exceeding 5

persons at any one time.

2. Section 352.08 through 352.12 which state that an 8 foot wide landscaped transition strip

providing 75% year round opacity is required in the rear of the property abutting a TwoFamily

Residential District. A six foot wide landscaped transition strip providing 50% year

round opacity is required along sides of property abutting Multi-Family Residential District. A

six foot wide frontage strip providing 50% year round opacity is required where parking lot

abuts street. A landscaping plan is required and none is proposed.

3. Section 357.14(a)(1) which states that parking is not permitted in established front setback

building line on Broadview Road. (Filed April 5, 2016)

Here's an interesting adaptive re-use in Old Brooklyn....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldh_f5N0Efc

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2016/crr05-09-2016.pdf

Board of Zoning Appeals

MAY 9, 2016

9:30

Calendar No. 16-062: 4815 Broadview Rd. Ward 13

Kevin J. Kelley

12 Notices

Swedenborgian Church of Greater Cleveland, owner, proposes to change use from church to

accounting office in a C1 Multi-Family Residential District. The owner appeals for relief from the

2 | P a g e

1. Section 337.08 which states that accounting office is not a permitted use in a Multi-Family

Residential District but first permitted in a Local Retail Business District if not exceeding 5

persons at any one time.

2. Section 352.08 through 352.12 which state that an 8 foot wide landscaped transition strip

providing 75% year round opacity is required in the rear of the property abutting a TwoFamily

Residential District. A six foot wide landscaped transition strip providing 50% year

round opacity is required along sides of property abutting Multi-Family Residential District. A

six foot wide frontage strip providing 50% year round opacity is required where parking lot

abuts street. A landscaping plan is required and none is proposed.

3. Section 357.14(a)(1) which states that parking is not permitted in established front setback

building line on Broadview Road. (Filed April 5, 2016)

Wow that is one of the smallest churches (in membership) in America.    It's often thought that they are the Swedish equivalent of Anglican, but that's not the case.  I'm surprised they had a building here.

It seems there will be a change with the Lebron wall banner soon. Not sure if it will remain Cavs specific or maybe something in preparation for the RNC.  Should be on the CPC next week.  Of course I continue to hope for the day it won't be possible to use that space for a banner as a new building will be in it's place.

Here's a picture of the new banner. Not sure if it has been posted elsewhere or not.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/sherwin-williams-sign-to-replace-lebron-mural-for-rnc/174924894

K&D Group has deal to buy Terminal Tower, with apartments planned; Forest City HQ move looms

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Terminal Tower, the skyline-defining office building in the heart of downtown Cleveland, is slated to be sold this year for redevelopment, in a deal that could bring 300 high-rise apartments and open a bidding war for a major corporate headquarters.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2016/05/kd_group_strikes_deal_to_buy_t.html#incart_m-rpt-1

The next banner I would like to see would go from the top of the building all the way to the bottom  and it would be an exact photo duplication of a side of the Landmark building that has windows in it. And it would be back lit at night.  Driving by it would just look like a wall with windows, day and night.  :-)

Re: Progressive Field

I noticed that the KeyBank sign was removed from the light towers.  Why was this?  That was very short lived.

Re: Progressive Field

I noticed that the KeyBank sign was removed from the light towers.  Why was this?  That was very short lived.

Blocking the view of the field from some PTB's office?

I starting to feel like Cleveland is close to hitting the tipping point on housing, especially on the west side. I guess that would truly happen though when we're growing in population again.

I do wonder though, is there more housing being built than demolished?

I starting to feel like Cleveland is close to hitting the tipping point on housing, especially on the west side. I guess that would truly happen though when we're growing in population again.

I do wonder though, is there more housing being built than demolished?

If you're on the east side I can easily say there is more housing being demolished than built. I truly worry about the urban fabric being too far gone on the east side. It's quite unfortunate. What do you mean the tipping point though?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I think I kinda answered my own question. And especially with your comment on the east side. Just that basically more housing being build than demolished/abandoned. I think it'd be safe to say that that would have happened once the city is growing in population

Some intriguing new businesses......

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2016/crr08-08-2016.pdf

Board of Zoning Appeals

Calendar No. 16-131: 3510 Fulton Ave. Ward 14

Brian Cummins

16 Notices

3510 Fulton LLC., owner, proposes to construct a “coffee shop” addition to existing convenience store

in a C2 General Retail Business District. The owner appeals for relief from the strict application of the

1. Section 357.01(d) which states that a specific 8 foot setback must be observed on Fulton Rd

2. Section 357.13 (b) which states that no building, patio/outdoor seating nor canopy are

permitted front yard encroachments.

3. Section 327.02(d)(e) which states that details regarding fence and seating are required and no

details are shown.

4. Note: the required parking cannot be determined due to omitted seating details. (Filed May

23, 2016)

Calendar No. 16-152: 4009 Fulton Ct. Ward 3

Kerry McCormack

18 Notices

Niagara Homes LTD., owner, proposes to establish use as residence and production and sales of

furniture, ceramic and metal products, and woodworking in a D3 Local Retail Business District and a

Pedestrian Retail Overlay District. The owner appeals for relief from the strict application of the

1. Section 343.11(b)(2)(N) which states that office, display, or sales space of a jobbing

establishment is first permitted in a General Retail Business District, and only if no more than

25% of the building space is used for making, assembling, finishing, or refinishing the

products.

2. Section 347.07 which states that accessory off-street parking spaces must be paved with

acceptable surfacing material and drained within the lot.

3. Section 357.09(b)(2)© which states that per 357.09©, an interior side yard equal to eight

feet is required and 2 to 3 feet are proposed.

4. Section 357.08(b)(2) which states that per 357.01© a rear yard of 20 feet is required

and no rear yard is provided.

5. Section 357.015(a) which states that a distance of 40 feet from a main building is required for

a rear residential building where 6 to7 feet are proposed. (Filed June 16, 2016)

Calendar No. 16-160: 3551 East 93rd Street Ward 6

Mamie J. Mitchell

19 Notices

Charlie D. Rogers, owner, proposes to change of use from carryout to restaurant and bar with

entertainment in a C2 Gen Retail District. The owner appeals for relief from the strict application of

the following sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances:

1. Section 347.12(1) which states that Entertainment use shall be located 500 feet from a

Residential District and the proposed location abuts Residential District at the rear.

2. Section 347.12(2) which states that Entertainment use shall be at least 500 feet from another

entertainment use.

3. Section 349.04(e) which states that the required number of off-street parking space must

equal three times gross floor area, in this case 93 parking spaces are required.

4. Sections 352.08 through 352.10 which state that 10’ transition strip is required where the

property abuts a Residential District and none are proposed. (Filed June 21, 2016)

Calendar No. 16-149: 927 East 123 Street Ward 9

Kevin Conwell

7 Notices

Paul McPherson, owner, proposes to add carry-out restaurant use to barber shop and beauty salon in

a C1 Local Retail Business District. The owner appeals for relief from the following sections of the

Cleveland Codified Ordinances:

1. Section 349.07(b) which states that accessory off-street parking spaces shall be provided with

bumper guards and none are shown.

2. Sections 352.09 through 352.11 which state that heavy (intensity) landscaping transition strip

is required with a minimum of 75% year round opacity and must be; 8’ in width.

3. Section 357.13(b) which states that parking in the required side street yard is not a permitted

encroachment in Local Retail district.

4. Section 358.05(a)(2) which states that fences in actual front yards and in side street yards

shall not exceed four (4) feet in height.

5. Section 357.05(a) which states that a five foot side street yard setback is required and two

feet are shown. (Filed June 15, 2016) REHEARING SCHEDULED DUE TO AN OMISSION IN THE

ORIGINAL DESCRIPTION.

Interesting. Item 16-131 for 3510 Fulton Ave. is almost amusing, considering it's a pretty ratty convenience store (been in there on quite a few occasions). Are they preparing for a wholesale renovation with the addition of a coffee shop? It's not exactly a high-end or even a middle-class area.

Item 16-059 for 2376 Professor Ave. is even more interesting. It's a shuttered house with an equally closed up business that was tacked in front at a later date. I'm assuming it will be razed for a three story mixed-use building.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=41.47989,-81.68520&z=20&t=S

Drove by the former "BIG Q" appliance store just west of E55th on Woodland earlier this week and noticed they took off old plywood from the facade of the building revealing this wonderful layer of painted signage for the products sold at the store probably from pre-1940's. Pretty amazing. Unfortunately, the very next morning all this signage had been power washed from the facade. At least it was exposed for one day before literally going down the drain. It's the layers of history that make Cleveland neighborhoods so interesting and too often it's brushed aside without a second thought. Not sure what the outlook is for this building, but I'm not optimistic judging what has happened to this intersection for 60 years.

Cleveland's craft-beer industry drinks up vacant real estate (interactive graphics, video, photos)

on August 19, 2016 at 11:47 AM, updated August 20, 2016 at 7:51 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio – As craft beer flows into kegs and out of taps across Northeast Ohio, the region's microbrewery boom is breathing life into buildings that have languished for years.

Since 2013, the number of craft breweries in Greater Cleveland has nearly doubled. The industry's footprint here, meanwhile, grew by more than 109 percent, according to a new report from the CBRE Group, Inc. real estate brokerage. Between production space and brewpubs, the craft beer business accounts for more than 530,000 square feet in and around Cleveland, Akron and Canton. That's over nine football field's worth of space, including the end zones.

The explosive growth of craft brewing in the state is no surprise to anyone who peruses grocery-store shelves or tries to pick from the ever-growing lineup of IPAs at local bars. The CBRE report looks beyond employment and taxes – subjects of past studies by trade groups – to the impact of craft beer on bricks and mortar in Ohio's largest cities.

MORE:

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2016/08/clevelands_craft-beer_industry.html