Cleveland: Random Development and News

^For sure, it should fill a nice gap!

I just don't like it because the design sucks... putting it on the Mall side of Key sucks... and I would guess this would have to be done before the Republican Convention for one reason or another.  I just don't see why a "monument" built for the corporations who rent space in Key Tower wasn't built 20 years ago if there was an actual need for it.  I wonder if there's "monuments" in front of other skyscrapers in other cities which just-so-happen to be next to Malls designed by Daniel Burnham... but I digress. 

What will be bad is if/when the tower becomes outdated and tenants pull out that sign will just look worse.

Uh, right. Cause the sign will be the main concern.  :roll:

Smart remark wasn't necessary. At all. I understand how bad an empty office building is. Since we were talking about looks and appeal having your tenants on display means that if they begin to flee an already tacky sign will look worse.

I didn't realize 80s towers were a problem.  To me they're like the sun coming up after brutalism. 

But the design of this signpost likens the tower to... a signpost.

True, though I have always thought that tower had a heavy classic-skyscraper influence as well.  Wasn't it specifically designed to compliment Terminal?

Baker Building, flanked by downtown Cleveland projects, hits auction block (photos)

CLEVELAND, Ohio – A small office building on downtown's East Sixth Street will hit the auction block this week, in a test of how surrounding development might pique investors' interest.

The Baker Building is being offered up for bid Tuesday through Thursday on the Auction.com website. The 11-story building, just shy of 53,000 square feet, is wedged between the Leader Building apartment conversion and the 515 Euclid Ave. parking garage, the possible site of a high-rise apartment tower. Across the street, a developer is turning the empty Garfield Building offices into yet more residences, in another historic-preservation project.

Baker Building owner J. Scott Scheel wouldn't discuss his reserve, the unpublished minimum price at which he'll be willing to sell the property.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/10/baker_building_flanked_by_down.html#incart_river_home

Michelle Jarboe ‏mjarboe[/member]  1h1 hour ago

Final bid for downtown #CLE's Baker Building = $2.93M. Auction ended today. Unclear whether it will lead to a sale.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/10/baker_building_flanked_by_down.html

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Does anyone else not like the Key Tower Monument Sign which has been proposed? I just don't see the need for plastering a bunch of corporate names on a "monument" which happens to be on the Mall side of Key Tower.

IMAGES REMOVED

Michelle Jarboe ‏mjarboe[/member]  6h6 hours ago

Members of downtown #CLE/Flats design review committee don't love proposed placement of Key Tower monument sign.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

There's a lot of land flattening in progress on the interior of Scranton Peninsula. Is there a post I missed? I searched and found nothing.

Check out:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,4043.msg762819.html#msg762819

• 3 weeks later...

Salvation Army to launch $35 million construction program

November 02, 2015

By STAN BULLARD   

The Salvation Army has been serving human needs in Northeast Ohio quietly for more than 140 years. But it’s about to make some racket in Cleveland and East Cleveland as it undertakes its first construction projects in 50 years.

Moreover, the Christian social service organization is using U.S. New Markets Tax Credits, which have been used to finance multiple recent downtown projects, to help finance the $35 million construction program.

Major Lurlene-Kay Johnson, the divisional secretary who heads Salvation Army Greater Cleveland Area Services, said the army — as she refers to it — is a fiscally conservative organization but embraced the federal financing program because it allows it to stretch its philanthropic support. New Markets credits are popular with investors and receive low interest rates because they have federal tax benefits for investors. The credits are devoted to job-creating and other community-building tasks in qualifying low-income urban areas.

MORE:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20151102/NEWS/151109987/salvation-army-to-launch-35-million-construction-program

A couple of new establishments downtown...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/11062015/DRC_2015_11_5.pdf

*Final Design Development Approval – Signage

3. Project: DF2015-084: Vault Gastrolounge

Project Address: 1010 Euclid Avenue

Project Representative: Brandon Kline, GLSD Architects, LLC.

*Final Design Development Approval

4. Project: DF2015-096: Wild Eagle Saloon

Project Address: 921 Huron Road

A couple of new establishments downtown...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/11062015/DRC_2015_11_5.pdf

*Final Design Development Approval – Signage

3. Project: DF2015-084: Vault Gastrolounge

Project Address: 1010 Euclid Avenue

*Final Design Development Approval

4. Project: DF2015-096: Wild Eagle Saloon

Project Address: 921 Huron Road

Wild Eagle Saloon, huh? Think this is filling the void of Toby Keiths not going into FEB?

I'm more interested in the vault gastrolounge.... Does that mean the premier douchebag magnet... I mean night club... Is slowly going away?

I wish, but no. They are just creating a new entrance to Vault and thus erecting a new sign for it.

Happily wrong:

Michelle Jarboe ‏mjarboe[/member]  16m

Geis Cos. plans repositioning at The Vault at @The9CLE. Diversifying into food w/ gastropub-type options, departure from pure nightclub.

From an e-mailed press release......

Nov. 10, 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Cuyahoga Land Bank awarded more than $6 million in NIP funds from Ohio Housing Finance Agency

The Cuyahoga Land Bank is proud to be the recipient of $6,075,000 of Neighborhood Initiative Program (NIP) funds, a Hardest Hit Fund program operated by the Ohio Housing Finance Agency (OHFA).  NIP is designed to help prevent foreclosures and stabilize local property values through the demolition of vacant and blighted homes and the greening of vacant lots resulting from the demolitions. The Cuyahoga Land Bank was awarded a portion of $13 million in funding available through the fourth round of the NIP.

The Cuyahoga Land Bank was one of two counties, out of 21 participating in NIP, that earned the classification of Exceptional Acquisition Progress, as a result of past program performance.  The latest allocation of NIP funding brings the Cuyahoga Land Bank’s total award to approximately $20 million.

“At the Cuyahoga Land Bank, we work to turn around our neighborhoods property by property,” said Cuyahoga Land Bank President Gus Frangos.  “This additional funding is a tremendous resource to help us stabilize our community.”

The U.S. Department of the Treasury allocated $570.4 million of Hardest Hit Funds to OHFA in 2010 to administer the state's foreclosure prevention program, Save the Dream Ohio, and has since approved the use of $79 million for NIP.

"Neighbors suffer the most profound effects of blight – from increased crime, ugly landscapes and the reduced availability of city services to a drop in property values, which can increase the risk of foreclosure," said OHFA Executive Director Doug Garver. "This program reduces and can even eliminate these factors, alleviating the burden on families, communities and Ohio's economy."

###

Geis plans for Wild Eagle Saloon near The 9 meet with some pushback

CLEVELAND, Ohio – A developer's plans for an easily overlooked, two-story building on downtown's Huron Road met with resistance last week from a city design-review committee, due to a proposed two-story patio and a sign featuring a stylized Native American chief 's head in profile.

read more: http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/11/geis_plans_for_wild_eagle_salo.html

^ I get what Geis is trying to do, but this proposal doesn't sit well with me. It looks so cheap and it doesn't seem to match the architectural style of the building at all. It would be great to see their next submission not look so tacky....perhaps the Western theme only allows for bad taste.

• 2 weeks later...

So let's see, we have 7 or 8 buildings proposed downtown of 20+ stories, depending on the site(s)/designs for a new Justice Center.

+ nuCLEus - Prospect/Huron at East 4th in Gateway District - one tower of 51-54 stories.

+ 515 Euclid - location/address is name - 9-story parking deck and commercial base built to support the addition of a 19-story residential tower above.

+ Weston/Citymark - Superblock in Warehouse District - Four towers of 20 stories or more, including one proposed at about 30 stories.

+ New Justice Center - currently has 26-story courthouse tower, 12-story new jail, 10-story old jail, 9-story CPD HQ; new center could be a single 50+ story structure or possibly two structures (courthouse tower, jailhouse tower) each 20+ stories depending on site and desired configurations (also depends on if structured parking is at the base of or next to principal structure/s which could increase overall height).

That's all I can think of right now. I'd love to include Jacobs' lot on Public Square. They say they're considering proposals but there's nothing substantive beyond that.

• 2 weeks later...

Seasons kosher grocery eyeing Cleveland market

Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2015 11:11 am | Updated: 3:45 pm, Wed Dec 2, 2015.

CARLO WOLFF | STAFF REPORTER

[email protected]

The kosher wars are heating up.

Seasons, a kosher supermarket chain with four stores in the New York City area and one underway in suburban Baltimore, is in the “very early stages” of securing a Cleveland-area location, Seasons owner Mayer Gold said Dec. 1.

Gold said this would be Seasons’ initial foray into the Cleveland market. He would not provide further details.

...The Seasons news comes a little more than a month after Israel Y. Blackman, president of Discover Group, paid $700,000 for 1.6 acres about a block east of the southeastern corner of Mayfield and Richmond roads in Lyndhurst. Blackman plans to build a “glatt kosher supermarket” on the site, currently a parking lot. Discover Group is a wholesale office supplies and consumer electronics firm.

MORE:

http://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/news/local_news/seasons-kosher-grocery-eyeing-cleveland-market/article_6a1a0b9a-990f-11e5-85e2-fff62a7311b6.html

Seasons kosher grocery eyeing Cleveland market

Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2015 11:11 am | Updated: 3:45 pm, Wed Dec 2, 2015.

CARLO WOLFF | STAFF REPORTER

[email protected]

The kosher wars are heating up.

Seasons, a kosher supermarket chain with four stores in the New York City area and one underway in suburban Baltimore, is in the “very early stages” of securing a Cleveland-area location, Seasons owner Mayer Gold said Dec. 1.

Gold said this would be Seasons’ initial foray into the Cleveland market. He would not provide further details.

...The Seasons news comes a little more than a month after Israel Y. Blackman, president of Discover Group, paid $700,000 for 1.6 acres about a block east of the southeastern corner of Mayfield and Richmond roads in Lyndhurst. Blackman plans to build a “glatt kosher supermarket” on the site, currently a parking lot. Discover Group is a wholesale office supplies and consumer electronics firm.

MORE:

http://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/news/local_news/seasons-kosher-grocery-eyeing-cleveland-market/article_6a1a0b9a-990f-11e5-85e2-fff62a7311b6.html

Awesome.

During the early 80s at Case, a few non-Jewish kids tried to get into Hillel's kosher meal plan, which was the only authorized alternative to the campus "meal" plan for resident students.  The University blocked this.

• 2 weeks later...

So let's see, we have 7 or 8 buildings proposed downtown of 20+ stories, depending on the site(s)/designs for a new Justice Center.

+ nuCLEus - Prospect/Huron at East 4th in Gateway District - one tower of 51-54 stories.

<snip>

At a holiday party this weekend, I heard that nuCLEus has a concrete contractor under contract and that a timetable has been supplied to them.  Unfortunately, that's all I got... perhaps if there had been more scotch, I could have wheedled more information.  Also, an HVAC contractor has signed a contract for the Weston superblock... this contractor did a lot of work on the Flats East Bank project and they seem to think the Weston project is going to move quickly.  Apparently they have already cleared their calendar for a certain time period.  All signs point to things being in motion!  Just a few years ago, I would never have thought that there could be one project, much less two simultaneous large high density projects.  I hope this forward motion can continue, and spread to other areas of Cleveland.  I have high hopes for E. 55th, too, with what Sterle's is doing.

Michelle Jarboe ‏mjarboe[/member]  12m12 minutes ago

May Co. or 925 Building? Ohio to announce historic tax-credit awards Wednesday, and a p.m. event will be in #CLE:

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/12/may_co_or_925_building_ohio_to.html#incart_river_index

Michelle Jarboe ‏mjarboe[/member]  12m12 minutes ago

May Co. or 925 Building? Ohio to announce historic tax-credit awards Wednesday, and a p.m. event will be in #CLE:

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/12/may_co_or_925_building_ohio_to.html#incart_river_index

Wasn't there an event pre-scheduled in Cincinnati for the last announcement of credits for the Music Hall? Good sign that either 925 or May Co. earned the credits...

Edit: Michelle does say that in the article, my bad for not clicking through!

^I'm torn on which one I want to get the credit.  I like 925 better as a building, but the May Co. developers are local guys.  I also suspect that May Co's plans depend a lot more on receiving these credits.

Or maybe you're just a bit leery of the "South Beach flair" that they want to bring to 925 haha.

With interest rates moving up, I have to wonder how this will affect real estate developments -- banks may be more willing to lend (especially for new downtown condo developments, re-sale of single-family homes, etc), but only where the rents are high enough to justify paying more interest.

Cleveland plans by six groups of developers land Ohio historic preservation tax aid (With photo gallery)

December 16, 2015

By STAN BULLARD

Rick Semersky’s crews at VIP Restoration have helped restore dozens of landmark buildings. However, he plans to undertake the first for his own portfolio with an Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credit awarded Wednesday, Dec. 16.

Semersky's plan to restore the former Lake Shore Bank and St. Clair Branch of Cleveland Public Library, which line the southwest corner of St. Clair Avenue at East 55th Street, is one of five projects in Northeast Ohio that the Ohio Development Services Agency approved to receive allocations in the program's 15th round.

The state in total is awarding $38 million in credits to 34 applicants for 55 historic buildings in Ohio.

MORE:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20151216/NEWS/151219831/cleveland-plans-by-six-groups-of-developers-land-ohio-historic#utm_medium=email&utm_source=ccl-dailynews&utm_campaign=ccl-dailynews-20151216

Look at how many active NE Ohio (almost all in Cleveland) project threads were updated today. 18 of them!

200 Public Square atrium renovations will start Monday

By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer

on December 18, 2015 at 8:40 AM, updated December 18, 2015 at 10:04 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Thirty years after its completion, downtown Cleveland's third-tallest skyscraper is getting a bit of a facelift – from the inside.

A $4 million lobby overhaul is scheduled to start Monday at 200 Public Square, the 45-story building that some Clevelanders still know as the BP Tower. With new retailers moving in and Ruth's Chris Steak House preparing to take over a long-empty restaurant space, building owner Harbor Group International is ready to pull the trigger on renovations that have been discussed for years.

Renderings show that Harbor Group plans to tear out the raised, central floor of the atrium, along with the plant beds that surround it and three small fountains in the middle. A terrazzo floor will replace some of the granite. A dining area for Ruth's Chris will jut into the lobby, taking up roughly 1,800 square feet.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/12/200_public_square_atrium_renov.html#incart_river_home

Michelle is such an asset to Cleveland and The Plain Dealer.  Her articles are always thorough and informative.    I will be interested to see how this renovation turns out. Unfortunately I am a fan of the current atrium design and hate to see the formality lost.  Yet one more project with regards to be ready for the RNC!