Cleveland: Random Development and News

I don't think this has been done before, so allow me to take a stab at putting in one place all the housing-based plans that have been announced for downtown Cleveland (and near-downtown) in recent weeks and months. Please correct me if I'm listing something that is incomplete, no longer an active plan or I'm missing including a development project entirely. In no particular order:

Flats East Bank Neighborhood

Developer:  Developers Diversified Realty Corp.

Investment/Cost:  $225 million

Housing Units:  330 rental and for-sale

Other Features:  250,000 square feet of entertainment and retail space, including a cinema, grocery store, restaurants, riverfront boardwalk, plazas, offices, structured parking, Waterfront Line rail station, etc.

On the Web:  http://www.ddr.com/

flatsprojectsiteplan.jpg

flatsproject3.jpg

Cleveland State University Varsity Village/College Town/Etc.

Developer: Mix of private and institutional parties

Investment/Cost:  N/A

Housing Units:  2,600 total (market-rate and student housing)

Other Features:  sport/athletic facilities, green spaces, retail, RTA transit center, parking structures

On the Web:  http://www.csuohio.edu/campusmasterplan/overview.html

diagram-devareas2.jpg

varsity.jpg

Avenue District (East 12th/13th area north of Superior)

Developer:  Zaremba Inc.

Investment/Cost:  $150 million

Housing Units:  423 condominiums and townhomes

Other Features:  coffee shops, galleries

On the Web:  http://www.zarembahomes.com/

CURRENT

NorthSideofSt.jpg

PROPOSED

avedist.jpg

Lower Euclid/East 4th Street

Developer:  MRN Ltd., mix of other private developers/investors

Investment/Cost:  N/A

Housing Units:  300 rental, for-sale

Other Features:  concert clubs, hotels, restaurants, coffee shops, retail, $200 million Euclid Corridor Transitway, nine-story parking garage, etc.

On the Web:  http://www.mrnltd.com/

mrn_collage.jpg

Riverview Hope VI - Phases I & II - Ohio City

Developer:  CMHA, Telesis Corporation

Investment/Cost:  $180 million

Housing Units:  682 market-rate and subsidized rental, for-sale units

Other Features:  10,000 square feet of new commercial space, structured parking, greenspaces, etc.

On the Web:  http://www.cmha.net/index.html

cmha1.jpg

cmha2.jpg

Battery Park - Detroit/Shoreway Neighborhood

Developer:  Marous Brothers

Investment/Cost:  $100 million

Housing Units:  330 townhouses, condos and apartments

Other Features:  community center in old powerhouse, restaurants, retail, greenspace, pedestrian walkway to Edgewater Park and Lakefront Boulevard transit stops, etc.

On the Web:  http://www.marousbrothers.com/

BatteryParkOverview.jpg

North Residential Village at CWRU - University Circle

Investment/Cost:  $300 million

Housing Units:  700 dormitory rooms, apartments and homes

Other Features:  plazas, retail, study areas, green spaces, etc.

Case1.jpg

Villages of Central

Developer:  Rysar Properties Corp.

Investment/Cost:  $100 million?

Housing Units:  465 ranches, bungalows, townhomes and colonial single-family homes

Other Features:  subsidized and market-rate homes in groups and scattered in-fill sites

On the Web:  http://www.rysar.com/homezone.html

StJohn'sVillageWest4-S.jpg

Arbor Park Village - Central neighborhood

Investment/Cost:  $111 million

Housing Units:  200 townhouses and subsidized apartments

Other Features:  retail plaza, community center, etc.

ArborPark1-S.jpg

Cleveland Clinic Cardiac Center/Urology institute

Developer:  ???

Investment/Cost:  $450 million (Cardiac Center), $60 million (Urology institute)

Square footage:  970,000 (Cardiac Center), 200,000 (Urology institute)

Other Features:  The two buildings are rising next to each other on Euclid

On the Web:  http://www.clevelandclinic.org/

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3261.0;attach=485;image

Stonebridge - Phase 5

Developer:  The K&D Group Inc.

Investment/Cost:  ?

Housing Units:  108 for-sale and rental in new 12-story building

Other Features:  Renovation of former restaurant space in 180-year-old building as retail/offices; 150-car parking garage

On the Web:  http://www.condosatstonebridge.com/index.asp

s1.jpg

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3883.0;attach=637;image

Cuyahoga County Administrative Headquarters

Developer:  ?

Investment/Cost: $100 million+

Square footage:  unknown, but will require space for about 2,000 workers

Other Features:  Could include renovation or demolition & replacement of 28-story Ameritrust tower; 100-year-old Cleveland Trust rotunda to be renovated as public space

On the Web:  http://www.cuyahogacounty.us/home/default.asp

IMG_1231.jpg

+++++++++++++++++

IN LIMBO/PENDING/MAYBE

+++++++++++++++++

Courthouse Plaza

Location: East end of Detroit-Superior Veterans Memorial Viaduct, adjacent to Federal Courthourse Tower

Developer:  Turner Construction

Investment/Cost: $30 million-$50 million?

Housing Units:  unknown

Features:  proposed with for-sale units, penthouses, fitness center, walkway to Tower City Center and to Settlers Landing/Waterfront Line station

Status:  Appears to be awaiting new financing (Madison Capital Group is financial advisor)

On the Web:  http://www.chplaza.com/ (use "red" and "rose" as the username/password)

CourthousePlaza2.jpg

515 Euclid Avenue

Developer:  None, Desman & Assoc. is the prime architect and engineer

Investment/Cost: $30 million-$50 million?

Housing Units:  240

Features:  524-space parking garage with 11,000 square feet of grade-level commercial retail (completed), proposed to be topped by a 19-story luxury condominium tower, with a 20,000 square foot ballroom.

On the Web:  http://www.desman.com/hotproperty/task,view/id,59/Itemid,168/

Euclid_515Euclid.jpg

District Park

Location:  between Warehouse District (West 9th St.) and Flats East Bank (West 10th St.)

Developer:  Marous

Investment/Cost: $100 million for all three buildings

Housing Units:  363

Features: Three condominium towers of 10, 12 and 15-20 stories, 450-car parking garage below the towers

Status:  Suspended due to escalating construction material costs

On the Web:  http://www.districtpark.com/

DistrictParkModel2.jpg

DistrictParkModel3.jpg

DistrictParkRendering.jpg

Lakefront (no "product name" yet)

Location:  Port Authority properties north and west of Cleveland Browns Stadium

Developer:  Robert L. Stark Enterprises

Investment/Cost: unknown

Housing Units:  unknown

Features: Relocation of port facilities to newly constructed island north of Whiskey Island; vacated port land measuring about 100 acres would be redeveloped with mixed uses

On the Web:  http://www.starkenterprises.com/

http://www.portofcleveland.com/

StarkPhase1S.jpg

starkoverview1S.jpg

Images: (Courtesy of City Planning Commission's "Connecting Cleveland" report)

The proposed island on which the port would relocate, using a new geotechnical process that could speed up the fill process to within two years and at much lower cost

lakefrontplan1S.jpg

The city's (Connecting Cleveland plan) vision for redeveloping the downtown lakefront, which differs from Stark's vision

lakefrontplan3S.jpg

I'm sure I'm leaving out a few things, but those are the biggies in downtown and nearby. Feel free to suggest additions, subtractions and corrections. I'll edit this listing as we go along, and note the changes in future messages in this string.

KJP

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Disclaimer: I more or less like Jane Campbell.

Anyone else think that since Chris Roynene(?sp) moved from planning director to cheif of staff, stuff that has been talked about actually starts happening. 

BTW, I aint sober right now

I think that would be similar to having Mike White as mayor.  Alot of projects would go forward that would some how put the city broke.  The difference here however is there is alot of private investment being talked about versus all the public investment back in the 90's.  More big city investment seems to be in the works. 

Riverview has to be substantially modified because the hillside that it is on isn't stable enough for modern development standards.  They want to try and build some or all of it across the street.  Its pretty up in the air, at this point.

Also, if you're going to mention Riverview, don't forget about Valleyview.  Its also fairly large- a few hundred units, I think.  I haven't seen any renderings for it yet.

Riverview has to be substantially modified because the hillside that it is on isn't stable enough for modern development standards.

I resent that!  I may be a little weird, but I'm not unstable!  And who are you to say I don't meet your standards?

(Just kidding)

I'm not familiar with Valleyview. Is this another phase of the CMHA project or something else? Got any info on it?

KJP

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Sorry RiverViewer, but the studies were quite extensive and inarguable.  There is ALOT of stabilization and remedial work required to build on you.

KJP, Valleyview is another Hope VI in Tremont, along W. 7th St.  They are tearing down the current facilities and rebuilding them as mixed income.  I haven't seen the plans yet.  They were having a meeting to unveil the plans sometime soon (or they just had one maybe) but I can't remember the date.  Tremont West is holding the meeting, you can call them for details.  It is a pretty substantial project, but its not getting much attention.

Thanks. Now I recall it. That's the project at the south end of Tremont, near I-490, if I'm thinking of the same one. I can ask one of the Cleveland reporters in our office who's been covering that development.

KJP

Valley view is being done by Empire construction out of NYC and City Architecture drew the plans.  You might be able to find stuff on their websites.  Demo is to start next week.

nsc do you know which empire construction? there are three in nyc. one in nutley, nj, one in harrison, nj and one in the south bronx. i dk if they are the same or different entities (i'd guess all are different). point being if you can find out if it's the latter "empire" in the bronx with a little effort i can literally walk over there from work one day and ask them about the valleyview project! there was nothing else online about it i could find.

well, mr. paul in cleveland himself is now an UrbanOhio member, so we'll get all the goods directly from him!

as for his site, it kept me going on all those dark days I spent in London and Portland when I needed my Cleveland fix!

I'd read/heard that Battery Park was stalled and Riverview Hope has been put on the back burner.  I could be wrong.  Everything else is pretty accurate as far as I know...

... btw, any scuttlebutt on whether the US Defense office is interested in Wolstein's building on the E. Bank?

Battery Park appears to be a go. Riverview isn't on the back burner -- Phase I can proceed without as much density if the $15 million can't be found to stabilize the hillside. But efforts are in high gear to locate the funding.

And, as for the DFAS Center, Crain's Cleveland Business had a good article this week that stated the big challenges (read: futile?) in trying to keep the center downtown. In a nutshell, the article quoted Defense Department documents that said part of the rationale for the relocated federal jobs is to put them on secure military bases where someone can't park a car bomb next to the building and snuff out countless lives. Unless we can replicate the same kind of building that the FBI built downtown, kiss the DFAS bye bye.

KJP

• 2 weeks later...

They left out of the discussion the massive increase in housing construction and storefront renovations that occurred in the past 10 years, and accelerated in the past 5.  But of course, that would negate their ongoing bitch that the city hasn't seen any development since Browns stadium.

Thanks, zace.  :clap:   All projects I like, sans Steelyards -- you can have it and Wal-Mart, imho.  I am even trying to get a little excited about ECP, saying that "... well, at least it’s transit; it keeps RTA busy and maybe, maybe such general interest will bode well for other rail projects -- not just here, but around the state (it sure would be nice if both Cincy and C-Bus could get their light-rail off, er, ... into the ground).  I’m hoping that cvsr into Cleveland and even Amtrak’s Midwest Initiative can come on line (but the later will involve a battle with the well-entrenched Bushies)

Indeed, times seem good in C-town.  But with all of these, I can't rest easy till the dirt slinging (literally, not figuratively) begins.  I’m esp concerned about the most critical of these in my eyes: Wolstein’s Flats E. Bank project -- we thought the beautiful District Park condos were a sure thing, too, and, well...

... not trying to be a wet blanket, just a realist.

:clap:

The reality, notes Steve Strnisha, who has served three mayors and now works at the Greater Cleveland Partnership, is that big projects here take a long time.

-- truer words hath not been spoken.

I'm hoping Wolstein's project may help revive the project -- apparently stalled because of the extra costs to the Marouses of removing an embedded warehouse buried in the W. 10th St hillside.

Speaking of Wolstein, here's an interesting blurb from a Jan, 1997 re Bart, the father, in an overview of downtown by a guy named John Herrington (my, how things change):

In the Flats, there is talk of change. Developer Bart Wolstein owns three-fourths of the east bank property and wants to make it a more family-friendly district with a bigger mix of entertainment choices. The idea of family orientation doesn't rest well with some business people in the Flats, who see the riverfront wine-and-dine area remaining, in the words of one, a "...party capital of the Midwest."

Thanks for posting the article. But curiously, it left out any mention of a number of other catalytic projects....

> Riverview Hope VI project in Ohio City;

> Valleyview Hope VI project in Tremont;

> Shoreway conversion to Lakefront Boulevard;

> new $16 million private, non-paroachial school amid West 48th/53rd, I-90, RTA Red Line and Lorain Avenue (the school is already well along in construction);

Can you imagine if a Rapid station were built next to that new school? That neighborhood would blossom! I suspect it already will blossom with homes that accommodate families, but the Rapid station (and some rezonings) would encourage higher-density development.

KJP

KJP,

$16 million, private non-parochial?  You are talking about Urban Community, right?  Isn't that run by a collection of the different catholic churches in the neighborhood (St. Malachi's, Wendelin's, Colman's Stephen's)?  By the way, it is a great school.  The UC kids at Ignatius were always very bright and interesting. 

interesting...I'd not heard of this yet.  Is anyone actually talking about a new station?  Doubtful right now with all the other RTA projects in the works, but cool to think about.  What are the surroundings like?  Any commercial district or at least zoning that would allow it?  I'm all for little pockets of activity that are well-connected by transit or vibrant communities!

Yes, that's the Urban Community school. A nun is the head honcho of the school, and it is currently operated at St. Malachi. But, from what I understand, it doesn't have a faith-based curriculum. They're building the new school because, at their current, smallish location, parents have to put their kids on a waiting list when the child is born. By the time the child is of school age, they should be near the front of the list.

There are no plans for a Rapid station next to the school, and the surrounding area is residential, but with very small, decrepit homes and numerous vacant lots. On that score, the area is ripe for "a do-over!" You can also see the site from I-90.

KJP

I know Ohio City Near West has mentioned using the new Urban Community School as a catalyst to leverage further residential development in that end of the neighborhood, which is probably the part of OC that is the farthest behind.  I don't know what their exact plans are, or if they even have exact plans yet.

• 1 month later...

Any updates to the list in the first message? I added the rendering of the Avenue District. Any other changes or modifications??

KJP

Here is a link to all the projects that the Downtown Cleveland Partnership has identified.  It still is missing some smaller things:

http://www.downtownclevelandpartnership.com/development.html

Let's try pasting the list:

PROJECT

DEVELOPER

DESCRIPTION

INVESTMENT

(est in $ Millions)

STATUS of Completion

Residential

1900 Euclid Ave Lofts

Somerville

1900 Euclid Ave,

80 apartments

$7.0

Sep-03

668 Euclid Avenue

Goldberg/Ohio Savings

668 Euclid Ave.

224 apts./parking

TBD

Pre-Developed

Bingham Building

Burnside Construction Co.

1278 W. 9th St.

140 apts./parking/21,000 sf grocery store

$80.0

Oct-04

District Park Condominiums

Marous Development

1250-1260 W. 9th St.

350 condos/retail/parking garage

$100.0

On hold

Dollar Bank Building

Marous Development

614 Euclid Ave.

6-8 condominium live/work units/

Dollar Bank on First Floor

$8.5

Pre-Developed

Erie Building

Perkowski

1260 W. 4th St.

19 condos/$175,000-$425,000

$4.5

Oct-03

The Avenue District

Zaremba

E. 12th St. & St. Clair

423 condo & townhouse units, retail, parking

$150.0

Pre-Developed

Irishtown Bend

Cleveland Civic Housing Fund LLC

1925 Columbus Rd.

6 condos

$6.5

Nov-03

Fredrick @ Fourth

MRN Ltd.

2063 E. 4th Street

35 apartments

$3.5

Nov-03

Joshua E. Hall Building

Korfant & Mazzone/Harstone Electric

1148 Prospect

4 condos

$4.0

Under Construction

Pinnacle

Georgalis

701 W. Lakeside Ave.

11-story/70 condominiums/$370,000+

$30.0

Under Construction

Rockwell Condominiums

King James Group

E. 6th St. & Rockwell

49 luxury condo units/10,000 sq. ft. retail space

TBD

On Hold

Sincere Building

Zarnas, Georgalis

2077 E. 4th Street

10 condos/4 rentals

$4.2

Nov-03

Condominiums at Stonebridge

K & D Group

2222 Detroit Avenue

76 condos/159 rentals

$21.0

Jan-05

Walker & Weeks

Renaissance International Enterprises

2341 Carnegie

36 apartments

$4.0

Under Construction

WT Grant

Somerville

222 Euclid Avenue

73 loft apartments and retail

$14.0

Oct-03

Multi-Use

515 Euclid Avenue

Goldberg

515 Euclid Avenue

11,000 sf retail, multi-level parking (522 spaces), capacity for tower

$20.0

Under Construction

Idea Center at Playhouse Square

Playhouse Square Foundation/

ideastream

1375 Euclid Ave.

ideastream studios/Arts Education Center/theater/offices

$25.0

opens 9/10/05

Cleveland State University

CSU

Chester Ave

Recreation center, renovation of Howe Mansion, Conversion of Fenn Tower to Dorms, Krenzler Field domed

$42.0

Under Construction

Retail/Dining/Entertainment

House of Blues

(Woolworth Bldg)

House of Blues/MRN

308 Euclid Avenue

55,000 sf; concert venue, restaurant, private club & retail store

$5.0

Jun-04

Renaissance Hotel Renovation

Renaissance Hotel

Public Square

491-guestroom and suite renovation

$5.5

May-03

Cleveland Athletic Club Renovation

CAC

E. 12th St. & Euclid

Exterior renovation, upgrade all facilities

$3.5

Jul-04

Union Club Renovation

Union Club

1211 Euclid Avenue

Interior renovation; new fitness center, dining room, conference facilities

$6.5

Jun-04

Office

Playhouse Square Corporate Center

American National Group

1317 Euclid Ave.

Conversion to office with new 3rd floor, atrium

$4.5

Pre-Development

Ameritrust Building Complex

Jacobs

E. 9th St. & Euclid

Selected site for consolidated County offices for 2000 employees

TBD

Pre-Development

Playhouse Square Plaza

American National Group

1220 Huron

11-story, 101,000 sf office space

$8.0

Dec-05

Galleria/Tower at Erieview Renovations

Minshall Stewart

1301 E. 9th St.

New signage, new color scheme

$17.0

Jul-03

Metzenbaum Courthouse

GSA

E. 3rd & Superior

Historic & green restoration for courts and offices

$44.6

Under Construction

Infrastructure

Euclid Corridor Transportation Project

RTA

Public Square to University Circle

Creation of Bus Rapid Transit & related improvements

$168.0

Under Construction

Strawbridge Plaza

Mall Plaza Beautification Fund/City of Cleveland/

Parkworks

Mall C

New park on the site formerly known as Mall C

$1.2

Oct-03

Perk Plaza

(Chester Commons)

City of Cleveland/

Parkworks

E. 12th St. & Chester

Revitalized park formerly known as Chester Commons

TBD

On Hold

The Medical Mutual Plaza at Huron Point

NOACA/Cleveland Foundation/Medical Mutual/City of Cleveland/

Parkworks

Huron/E. 9th St./Prospect

New public green space in Gateway District

$1.0

July–05

Superior Ave. Streetscape

City of Cleveland

Superior Ave., E. 18th to E. 22nd

Streetscape improvements, public art, landscaping

$3.0

Dec-04

E. 4th Streetscape

City of Cleveland

E. 4th St.

Streetscape replacement/enhancements

$1.5

Oct-04

ESTIMATED TOTAL REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT AS OF:

June-05

$786.5

Remember the dark days of early May?  NASA Glenn losing jobs, DFAS leaving, District Park canceled, Pinnacle bungling, Indians losing.  It's been a remarkable 3 months....except for the Indians.

Remember the dark days of early May?  NASA Glenn losing jobs, DFAS leaving, District Park canceled, Pinnacle bungling, Indians losing.  It's been a remarkable 3 months....except for the Indians.

District Park is "on hold" not cancelled. 

• 1 month later...

The paper had a small blip about the Gospel Press building in Tremont.  The Planning Commission has recommended that the lot be rezoned.  Construction could start by the end of the year and open in spring 2007.  It will include 102 apartments.

any word about retail tenants?  a specialty grocer?  I was all for a new full-service grocery store in the neighborhood, but that probably isn't a smart idea with the Walmart going in down the street...  specialty/gourmet should work, though, in this totally underserved pocket of the city!

• 1 month later...

The list is updated

Not yet. The developer still has property to acquire, and has been very cautious, using different companies to make different property acquisitions, so as to disguise his intentions and keep sale prices to a minimum. The hope is for a breakthrough by as early as the middle of this month. If so, I will spill the beans at that time. I don't want to say anything right now or my article might kill the project. When I sent out the teaser on this forum, I didn't know that there were still properties to be acquired. I now regret sending out that teaser because, as we all know, anything can happen during a negotiation.

By the way, I updated the list again, adding three projects in the "on hold/maybe" category. Call me optimistic! I'll bet that at least one of them happens. None are my "mystery project" however.