Sign in to follow this  
Guest richNcincy

Cincinnati Reds Discussion

One game is no indication of how the team will perform all season. There are 161 more games.

No BUT the writing is on the wall from what we have seen the past 3 or so years. How do you expect to win a world series if you can't beat world series pitching???????

Basically you are saying: "No, but yes!"

This is a great photo - 1st and 3rd no outs in the 8th was a killer, but the Reds should have decent attendance this year and will hopefully bounce back.  Interestingly, although there was concern of the Findlay Market parade route change to Elm due to streetcar construction there was a very large crowd yesterday.  Many have said they had the largest attendance they could remember (I know many kids were on Spring Break but still good news).

I actually like the parade going down Elm because of the ability to use the Music Hall/Memorial Hall frontage as sort of stadium seating for the parade. IMO they should keep the parade on Elm.

First there is this article in Sports Illustrated: In Cincinnati, Opening Day is always a cause for celebration

Also, after a long rain delay it was great to see the Reds pull through with a walk-off hit in the 9th inning last night. Pitching looked outstanding again and while our bats weren't hot, we got just enough to get the 1-0 victory.

Next game is today at 12:35 assuming no rain delays.

Hopefully he can manage to get on base more often as the season goes on. He basically has a free ticket halfway around the bases if he gets on.

Another loss. The Reds have had awesome pitching and have all gone to waste. The injuries are on the pitching side as well. So when everyone is back health. The offense will still be the same. What an expensive shame.

Bailey, Votto, Phillips and Bruce are way overrated.

So far the Reds have won 1 of 3 games in every series. Hopefully they can win 2 or 3 against the Pirates and gain a little ground. The team looked really good yesterday. Heisey's grand slam was icing on the cake after a great outing by the team.

The talent is there, we just need to consistently hit to win the low scoring games.

Their wins have almost all come as the final game of a series, which makes me wonder if it is a change in opponents' pitching line-ups (i.e. to second-string starters) making Reds hitting possible.

That was the best baseball game I've ever been to.

A combined 10 home runs for the Pirates and Reds. Broke the GABP record for home runs in a game. One home run shy of tying the National League record. Two home runs shy of tying the MLB record. And it's only in the top of the 7th inning.

After a disappointing start, the reds are now 8-10. After going 0-12 with 6 strikeouts, Hamilton has batted .273 with a .304 OBP.

This team has won 4 of the last 6 games. Unfortunately they couldn't pull off sweep of the Cubs or Pirates to have a .500 record.

Next series is Monday-Wednesday in Pittsburgh. All night games.

Here is a story about Billy Hamilton's recent performance.

With the Reds win today they took 3/4 in Pittsburgh and improved to a .500 record. Only one game back from the Cardinals (Brewers are still leaps and bounds ahead of everyone). The Reds head off to Atlanta tonight for a three game series before returning home for 7 games in 7 days.

Once they are done hosting the Cubs and Brewers at home they will have played 17 games in 17 days. The two off days surrounding the trip to Boston will be pretty important for the players to rest.

This stretch in their schedule is plain silly. In 18 days they have 13 home games, 3 days off (back to back Mondays), with two games in the middle @Boston.

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

After a sweep by the Braves the Reds are trying to bounce back and sweep the Cubs to return to .500 before facing the Brewers (best in baseball right now).

The game was delayed at the start. Then again for 15 minutes during a heavy downpour. The game-tying run coming off the bat of Billy Hamilton in a solo home run (his first career). Cozart showed up with a triple, scoring the game-winning run off of Heisey's pinch hit with two outs just before another rain delay. This rain delay lasted over an hour and with the Reds ahead in the sixth inning, calling the game would have ended it with a Reds win. They continued, and the score stayed the same. 3-2 win for the Reds.

Very Cool!

Rare footage of 1919 World Series released

David Brown

The commissioner of baseball found that eight members of the Chicago White Sox conspired to fix the World Series in 1919 in exchange for cash bribes. The "Black Sox" scandal that forced "Shoeless" Joe Jackson's squad into banishment from the game is the most infamous black eye in Major League Baseball history. It's not the only time something like that happened in baseball, but it's the event we know the most about.

That's why the discovery of 4 1/2 minutes of footage from the '19 Series is such an important find. The silent footage from British Canadian Pathé News doesn't necessarily inform us much about the scandal itself, but it certainly gives us a time-capsule glimpse into what baseball looked like nearly 100 years ago. While the edges of the film are degraded, the center of the frames is astonishingly clear and sharp. Most of all, it's just neat.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/rare-footage-of-1919-world-series-released-172137125.html

It was the first 4 game sweep in San Francisco for the Reds since 1972. It was the first time ever the Giants has been sweep in a 4 game series at AT&T park.  That's been open since 2000.

At the All Star Break the Reds are 0.5 games back from the Cardinals and 1.5 games back from the Brewers. We are 1.0 game back in the Wild Card race.

We are definitely within striking distance if we can keep our remaining players healthy. There was a game against the Cubs where we had 5 starters out of the lineup due mostly to injury. There have been jokes that the Reds have called up the entire Louisville AAA team to play. It's not too far from the truth. The All Star Break came at the perfect time for us, though. Hopefully we can steal a few games from the Yankees and Brewers while on the road after the break.

Reds' owners' son, daughter-in-law arrested

The son and daughter-in-law of Cincinnati Reds owner Bob Castellini were arrested Sunday.

Robert S. Castellini, 46, and his wife, Deanna, were charged with domestic violence for getting into a fight with each other in front of their children.

Both cases were in court Monday. Hamilton County Municipal Court Judge Melissa Powers released each on their signatures.

Cont

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

The Reds are pathetic.  I'm more disappointed that when I check the barometer of the fanbase on forums, fans aren't blaming Bryan Price like they did Dusty, which was from Day 1. 

I said for years that Walt Jocketty's roster construction hamstrung Baker (no leadoff hitter until Choo, no protection for Votto, overpaying for bullpen, the Chapman fiasco) and that commentary was generally received as not factual.  People were constantly insisting that the talent was there to win it all.  Now that Price is the manager, all fingers are pointed at Jocketty and those same people that blasted Dusty even after a win aren't saying a peep about how flat the Reds are playing.  They're losing to Arizonas, Colorados and Bostons!  I have to admit, I sense a racial bias and it's sad.

^ I think much of the frustration with Dusty was due to how his teams would collapse in the playoffs.  The fact that he held his job after the SF playoff series where we were up 2-0 and were swept at home to lose, is a miracle I think.  I 100% agree that Jocketty is more to blame for this team's lack of success in recent years, though.  The injuries of Votto and Phillips this year probably help explain why Price hasn't felt the same backlash as Dusty.

People were terrible to Dusty. Before he even landed in Cincinnati people were saying to fire him. I understand the frustration after the SF series, but I still don't agree that he had to be fired after that. After the 1-game play-in game against Pittsburgh last year, it was time to let him go. The last thing we want is to be the Cleveland Browns of baseball and fire our manager (coach) every 4 months. Bryan Price isn't feeling the heat mainly because injuries have sidelined the team the entire season and he's not Dusty Baker.

Reds traded Alfredo Simon to the Tigers for SS Eugenio Suarez and their #1 pick in 2013, A RHP prospect, Jonathan Crawford. I think that's a pretty good move, because I don't think Simon will ever again put up numbers like he did last season.

Also, Chris Heisey was let go earlier (another smart move since he was going to be getting more money than he deserved if he stayed).

Rumor has it Mat Latos is moving to the Marlins in exchange for Anthony DeSclafani, a right-handed starter, and Chad Wallach, a 23-year-old catching prospect.

Hmmm, interesting on your last note about Mat Latos.  The pitcher must be pretty good, seems like they may be looking for a back up catcher?  I thought their two current catchers were pretty legit.  I wonder what they will do for left field?