Sign in to follow this  
Guest richNcincy

Cincinnati Reds Discussion

>The Pirates luck this year has been great.  Glad to see the Reds finally winning a string of one-run games. 

That's why baseball's season is so long -- to equalize for all the unlucky/lucky bounces.  But now we've got this stupid 1-game wildcard, which introduces an element of chance to a game that has been all about eliminating it.  I'd love to go back to 2 divisions per league with a 7-game NLCS/ALCS then a 9-game world series. 

Is the Cubs purposely starting Wood against the Reds at the detriment of their other pitchers?  I know they don't like being sweep by the Reds. But he had not pitched in a week and another starting  pitcher pitched in between that time twice.  Is this the main reason why these teams always has  losing seasons, because no pitcher is pitching on regular schedule(4 days rest)?

Incredible game last night to sweep the Astros. The most notable player of the game was Billy Hamilton who went 3-4 and had four stolen bases. I realize this is against a stuggling (to say the least) Astros team, but if he can reliably get on base he is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

His presence on base seems to rattle the pitcher and energize the batter behind him.

How about that comeback against the Pirates tonight? Down 5-2 in the 9th but still manage a clutch win. The Votto homer in the 10th and Billy Hamilton's 10/10 stolen base were icing on the cake :clap:

We're now back in 2nd place and only 1.5 games back of the Cards with them tied up in a matchup against the Brewers now

Dusty Baker is not longer the Reds' manager. He still has one year left on his contract though. No word on who will replace him.

Part of me hopes that they hire Tony La Russa our of retirement.

I think the Reds need a managing change that is going to get both the fans and players motivated and excited for next year. I don't believe simply bringing Price up as manager will do that. To fire Baker (and pay him for next year) just to have someone who has been with the club take over his duties would be foolish in my opinion. Price might be a great manager, but I don't think that would be the appropriate decision. It would seem as if nothing has changed and we should expect the same results.

Ludwick went 3-4 during the Wild Card game. He is the only one who showed up to bat that day. I can't believe people are still griping about that decision after his performance.

I wasn't surprised after another too brief appearance in the playoffs. I expected more and it's nice to see management did also.

As for the next manager, I wouldn't mind Price, but I would love to see them make a run at Joe Maddon. I can't believe he couldn't be lured away from the Rays.

The hot stove is really heating up now.  Yankees 2B Cano signed a 10-year mega-money deal with Seattle.  The Yanks also signed Beltran to the 3-year deal.  They also signed Ellsbury to a mega-deal.  That leaves the Yanks with six outfielders on their roster: Wells, Ellsbury, Soriano, Beltran, Suzuki & Gardner (in descending salary order).

So the Yanks have an opening at 2B?  And a glut of outfielders?  If the Reds were serious about trading Phillips, might they call up Cashman with an offer?  Say Brandon Phillips for Brett Gardner?

So the Yanks have an opening at 2B?  And a glut of outfielders?  If the Reds were serious about trading Phillips, might they call up Cashman with an offer?  Say Brandon Phillips for Brett Gardner?

The Yanks turned down a Phillips for Gardner trade:  http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10123847/new-york-yankees-turn-offer-brandon-phillips-brett-gardner

It will be interesting to see if they do anything with Homer Bailey also. Either way, Jocketty still needs an offensive upgrade.

So, apparently Matt Kemp (and his $20 million/year contract which runs thru 2019) might be available from the Dodgers.  And LA could use a veteran 2B.  But Kemp's contract and injury history are scary.

It will be interesting to see if they do anything with Homer Bailey also. Either way, Jocketty still needs an offensive upgrade.

So, apparently Matt Kemp (and his $20 million/year contract which runs thru 2019) might be available from the Dodgers.  And LA could use a veteran 2B.  But Kemp's contract and injury history are scary.

Dodgers apparently shot that one down as well. Story is near bottom of page. Seems like they can't find anyone willing to take Phillips.

http://nypost.com/2013/12/12/texas-rangers-insist-adding-russell-wilson-not-a-publicity-stunt/

Last night Aroldis Chapman was hit by a line drive in the sixth inning. His 99 mph fastball came off the bat of Salvador Perez and got him near his left eye. No word yet on the extent of his injuries.

The game ended 6-3 Royals in the sixth inning. Both managers agreed to call the game after the 10 minute break from play and injury. Chapman was carted off the field and sent to the hospital.

Here's a video of the pitch: http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v31593793/cinkc-chapman-struck-by-liner-leaves-on-stretcher

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog/2014/03/19/031914aroldischapman/6637865/

Chapman is having surgery today to have a plate inserted in his head where he has some facial fractures. His eye is fine, but he suffered a mild concussion. He will be able to play this season for sure. No idea how long he could be out. Will be in the hospital until about Saturday.

EDIT: Chapman will not pitch until at least May

Reds Craft Beer Opening Day Starting Lineup via Queen City Fresh

For craft beer lovers, their is a varied selection of breweries and styles to chose from including offering from hometown breweries Blank Slate, Christian Moerlein, Fifty West, MadTree, Listermann, Mt. Carmel, Rhinegeist and Rivertown. Let’s hope the addition of Wire to Wire Wheat, a new offering from Fifty West Brewing Co., is an omen for things to come this season at Great American Beer Ball Park.

For some reason, I can't seem to get excited about this baseball season.  I think the pounding the Reds took in the one game playoff in Pittsburgh combined with the dismal Bengals playoff loss just have me pretty dismissive of Cincinnati sports.

I'm really excited about the Reds season. More concerned about injuries than past performances. The big milestone we need to cross is advancing in the postseason. I'm hopeful this is the year.

For some reason, I can't seem to get excited about this baseball season.  I think the pounding the Reds took in the one game playoff in Pittsburgh combined with the dismal Bengals playoff loss just have me pretty dismissive of Cincinnati sports.

Plus injuries, plus the UC loss to underdog Harvard. And I feel like the line-up is weaker than last year, due to injuries and losing Choo.

The only thing I'm really excited for regarding the Reds is watching Billy Hamilton hopefully live up to the hype.

The Reds didn't have a great outing yesterday for Opening Day. 0-1 loss to the Cardinals. Our pitching looked great for the whole game (minus the lone home run) we just couldn't get that run in with no outs and a man on third. Disappointing loss, but it's a long season.

One game is no indication of how the team will perform all season. There are 161 more games.

No BUT the writing is on the wall from what we have seen the past 3 or so years. How do you expect to win a world series if you can't beat world series pitching???????