Sign in to follow this  
Guest richNcincy

Cincinnati Reds Discussion

It's not as easy as "showing him how to throw from third."  If it was, the Blue Jays would have him playing 3B, but they don't.  His only future was as a 1B or a DH.  I'm glad he's doing well, but unless he was going to play 1B, he wasn't going to be the answer there. 

I agree with you on the DL thing.  I do not understand why we do this idiotic thing of having a guy not play for a few days but not go on the DL.  No way Corky Miller should be getting major league at bats. 

You're probably right about Edwin's mechanics, but Toronto hasn't had a good season in forever, so I don't know if their evaluation of anything is that great.  I do think he could have played LF though.

Left field might have been a possibility.  Because of the positional premium with certain places--catcher, 3B, CF, SS, etc.--you are always better off to play someone there if they possibly can.  By that I mean, even if the defense is subpar, if you can still live with it, you play a good offensive player at those positions (because most catcher are like Ryan Hanigan, and can't hit real well but can play well defensively).  The fact that he is not playing 3B but is playing 1B and DH--the two positions that are by far the easiest to hide a bad fielder, and where people who have played other positions eventually move when their defense can't cut it--tells me that EE is not cut out for third, at least. 

As for LF, who knows?  It's by far the easiest of the outfield positions.  Would have depended on if he could handle the running/positioning/breaking on the ball.  It's pretty doable, but then again Yonder Alonso looked awful when we tried him out there.  I think EE was more athletic than that, but it's hard to say.  He's certainly found a home and is raking.  Good for him. 

Is Chapman that good of a closer?  I feel that every time he comes up in the ninth the game could be lost.  Nerve rattling.

He's poorly used. He should have been used in that extra inning game when Parra was in trouble. He has only pitched 2 times in 10 days. All his blow ups is because of lack of use.

Do the Reds even scout teams? We can beat Pittsburgh. We can't beat Saint Louis, but the Pirates can beat the Cards.  Might as well not make the playoff, because I don't want to be embarrassed there too.

^relax. We are still 4.5 games up on the nearest wild card spot for the league. We have a good team and we are playing in a tough division. Any team can beat any other team on any given day. Detroit had the worst record of any team that made the post season last year, yet they made it to the world series. The Giants only had a better record than Texas and Baltimore (and Detoit) yet won the world series. Anything can happen, and as it stands now, it looks as if the Reds, Pirates, and Cards will all make it to october. It won't be easy, but we have a pretty good team that can compete.

Central is really tough this year. Cardinals lost like 7 in a row before they finally beat Pittsburgh, then took 2/3 from the Reds.

Dodgers are on fire since the all star break.

Most of the August schedule is manageable, Oakland for 2 games (they are good) then Padres, Cubs, Brewers, and 4 home games

with Arizona. They can put distance in front of Arizona - Nationals in August for the last wildcard.

Kinda messed up. Who do you pitch if they need to beat the cards to get in ahead of Arizona? Will the cards save their best pitcher for the wild card game if it comes to that? The Reds need a big winning streak.

^I think the Reds are in good position to get a Wild Card spot, but does anybody have confidence that they won't get blown out in that play-in game?

I know that I'd rather see them play Pittsburgh than St. Louis for that one game.

I would almost rather see them not make the playoffs than be one and done like the past few years. I think everyone is just tired of being let down, especially after last year.

^Pretty cool story. I saw it the other night.

One of my biggest problems with Reds games is that they don't have the mascots actually race. Why can't the mascots race? Those video clips of them racing in those cars is really lame.

WOW Chapman was brought in, in the 8th.

He also had a plate appearance in the bottom of the eight. It looked like he was swinging for his first career HR. :roll:

WOW Chapman was brought in, in the 8th.

He also had a plate appearance in the bottom of the eight. It looked like he was swinging for his first career HR. :roll:

I was at the game, that's the only time I've seen someone get a standing ovation for striking out. His first bunt attempt looked like he'd never held a baseball bat in his life. He looked decent enough through the rest of the at-bat, though.  Managed to get a full count before the swing and miss on the third strike (which probably would have been a ball had he not swung).

I was there too.  I was beside myself that they didn't double-switch, though I heard later you can't double-switch when replacing a pitcher due to injury, like they were doing. 

Serious lack of depth in the 'pen right now. 

This season can't end fast enough. Why on earth would you sit Ludwick the day after he hits his first home run? The Reds make 5 area pitchers look like cy young candidates.  That why this team will not win the division or a one game playoff.

This season can't end fast enough. Why on earth would you sit Ludwick the day after he hits his first home run? The Reds make 5 area pitchers look like cy young candidates.  That why this team will not win the division or a one game playoff.

No idea why you sit him

Votto does not want to play for Dusty. It shows in his play. He see what is happening. He's playing everyday. Ludwick has been off 4+ months and gets a day off after an awesome day at the plate in the middle of a pennant chase????

Reds struggled last night to lose it in the 16th inning. The hitting was definitely off with many players not getting a hit in what ended up being almost two full games worth of baseball. Exciting game overall, though. It's unfortunate Heisey couldn't make contact with the pitch that threw out Choo for what would have been the game-winning run.

We still have another game tonight against the Cards and 6 of our last 9 games are against the Pirates. Win tomorrow, play well in September, and take 4 of 6 from the Pirates and we could have the division at the end of the season. I've really enjoyed watching Billy Hamilton get a couple runs in as many games. Great addition to the team in a playoff race.

Wish they hadn't given up that 16-inning game to the Cards, but hey the Reds are Red Hot right now. Can't really complain. What a pennant race this is -- amazing. Great baseball!

With the Cards pushing ahead and the Pirates flailing a bit, it would be nice if we had 6 remaining v. the Cards instead of the Bucs.  The Reds still have three off-days left.  Most among the three principle teams.  Looking at pitching match-ups for the Cards and the face-to-face the Reds have with the Bucs, the Reds will have nobody to blame if they aren't able to take advantage and win the division.  Exciting stuff!

Yeah, the 16-inning game is huge right now.  After such an irritating wave of luck, would love to see Pittsburgh finish 5 games behind us. 

This is dead on.  The Pirates are +39 in run differential, and the Reds are +103.  Based on those run differentials, the Pirates have an expected win-loss record of 76-66; in reality they are 81-61.  The Reds have an expected win-loss of 85-59; in reality they are 82-62.  So the Pirates have outperformed by 5 games and the Reds have underperformed by 3 games. 

The Pirates luck this year has been great.  Glad to see the Reds finally winning a string of one-run games.