Sign in to follow this  
Guest richNcincy

Cincinnati Reds Discussion

Yeah, the Reds, Bucs, and Cards are all playing really well right now.  Not gaining much ground on anyone, but not losing any ground either. 

Winning 10 in a row:  Great news for the Reds - Bad news for Marty Brennaman's hair

A couple of weeks ago, during the back-and-forth banter on the team plane with bench coach Chris Speier, Reds Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman said he would shave his head if the Reds won 10 in a row.  The Reds did extend their win streak to ten with a 7-2 win on Sunday.  "And this one belongs to the Reds! Cincinnati has won 10 in a row and I'm gonna shave my head absolutely bald," Brennaman exclaimed after Sunday's win.

Well the Reds got Jonathon Broxton from the Royals today. It wasn't what I expected, but a solid move at the least. They released Brackman and put Bray on the DL again. I was hoping they were going to turn around and flip him in a package for Denard Span but i'm sure the asking price was outrageous.

I was surprised the Reds got Broxton too.  But I agree this seems like a solid pennant run move.  For the price of two minor league pitchers, the Reds got a quality set-up man that could occassionaly fill in as closer, so as not to overwork Chapman.

Even though they didn't get a lefty lead off hitter like Victorino (who went to the Dodgers), that's probably okay.  Stubbs has been hitting very well lately.  Plus with the hot hitting of Ludwick and Heisey, the older lefty bat of Bruce and the newer lefty bat of Xavier Paul - the Reds now have a glut in the outfield.

Xavier Paul is a bench player and pinch-hitter, nothing more.  There's a reason he was out on the street when they signed him to a minor-league deal.  I sure as heck hope he doesn't take any at-bats away from the other outfielders. 

It's amazing to me that Bruce is still our youngest outfielder.  Feels like he's been here a long time--in a good way.

Xavier Paul is a bench player and pinch-hitter

That's exactly why the Reds need him.  Stubbs recent hitting surge allowed the team to pass on Victorino.  But Paul is the only left-handed bat the Reds have on the bench.  In the late innings of a critical game, you will want Paul facing the other team's best righty instead of Stubbs.  So far Paul has excelled as a pinch-hitter, going 4 of 8.  Stubbs has a lefty-righty split of .298/.210.

Sounds like BP is out for a little while.  Ugh.  Only silver lining is that middle infield is one of the positions we actually have some minor league depth to callup if need be (Henry Rodriguez, Didi Gregorious).  We'll have to see. 

Xavier Paul is a bench player and pinch-hitter

That's exactly why the Reds need him.  Stubbs recent hitting surge allowed the team to pass on Victorino.  But Paul is the only left-handed bat the Reds have on the bench.  In the late innings of a critical game, you will want Paul facing the other team's best righty instead of Stubbs.  So far Paul has excelled as a pinch-hitter, going 4 of 8.  Stubbs has a lefty-righty split of .298/.210.

I agree with all that, but you said the Reds have a "glut" in the outfield, which implies (to me at least) that there are more good players than spots to play them.  I think they're just about where they need to be in the OF--Bruce playing everyday, Ludwick playing most of the time, and Stubbs/Heisey splitting the rest of the time.  Paul is not (and should not) competing for playing time the way Ludwick/Heisey/Stubbs are.  But I agree it's nice to have him on the bench. 

every win with both Phillips & Votto out is so great.  If the reds go .500 for the rest of the season they would end up with a record that ties or beats some of 2011's wild card teams and I don't think anyone expects the Reds to go .500 for the rest of this season.

Very nice win over the Pirates! Looking forward to two more.

Even without Phillips and Votto, the Reds are doing great. Sure hope they come back soon, though!

After dropping the first game in the Cubs series, the Reds won the next three to stay 4.5 ahead of the Pirates.

Now that the good news is out of the way, here's the bad news.  Joey Votto's knee rehab was proceeding well and it was looking like he might return from the DL this week.  But after Votto felt some knee soreness after participating in a sliding drill, he had additional surgery Friday night to "remove floating cartilage from the knee".  They estimate an added 7-10 days to the previous rehab time.  Votto might return by the end of August now.

^ Must have worked.  Pirates lost and dropped five back of the Reds.

Because of a rare doubleheader Saturday, the Reds play seven games in the next six days at the GABP.  3 vs. Mets - 4 vs. Cubs

Reds took the first two games in the three game series with the Mets.  Meanwhile, Pittsburgh has dropped 7 of their last 10 games.  Both the Pirates and the Cardinals are now 7 behind the Reds.

I'm watching the pregame on FSN Ohio before the second game in this doubleheader. The announcers were saying how a lot of the Reds now 'live across the street' and had the chance to go home between games and eat out of their own refrigerator. So I guess that means the Banks?

I'm watching the pregame on FSN Ohio before the second game in this doubleheader. The announcers were saying how a lot of the Reds now 'live across the street' and had the chance to go home between games and eat out of their own refrigerator. So I guess that means the Banks?

I would imagine a lot of the players who keep permanent homes elsewhere (quite a few of them, if not most) rent apartments at The Banks.  Previously, most rented up in Mt. Adams; you can still occasionally see Joey Votto driving his Lamborghini down from the hill.

The Reds took 3 of 4 from the hapless Cubs.  Meanwhile, the Pirates and Cardinals beat up each other over the weekend - culminating in a 6 hour, 19 inning game on Sunday.

Reds are now 6.5 ahead of Pittsburgh and 8.5 ahead of St. Louis.

Yep...assured of at least a split and then home against the Cards...

PIT seems to have hit the wall with a sweep by the Dads.

.500 ball the rest of the way wins us the Central, I say.

BUT, as unusualfire said, wouldn't it be great to see the Redlegs win 100?!

76 wins with 37 left to play.  To reach 100 we must go:  24W-13L

That's .648!  Well over the .608 pace for the season but a small sample.  One game here or there decides it.  Let's start with a win to close out Philly tonight!

It's been an awesome season.

You can say that again. What a great season! I can't remember another year I have watched so much baseball. The Reds have been absolutely riveting.

They really could go all the way. Trying not to get my hopes up too high.

^Agreed it's been a great season, but I can't remember the last time they took a series from a truely great team.  Maybe the sweep of the Cards after the all star break?  Struggling mightily against good pitching like we did in both series against Philadelphia is NOT a good sign for the playoffs.