Sign in to follow this  
Guest richNcincy

Cincinnati Reds Discussion

Lighten up, if the Reds get to the postseason they will do well.

What do you mean lighten up? They have BY FAR played the easiest schedule in all of major league baseball. The Cubs have played the next easiest.  They are 30 over .500 against loosing teams and 11 under against winning teams. I don't know if you know this but their are no loosing teams in the playoffs. They have done this all year and will do it in the playoff's.

Well, I am aware there are no losing teams in the playoffs and suspect there never have been.  Look back at some of the games, especially against the Braves and Phillies, and there were definitely some games they gave away as well as many close games.  I think they actually lost 7 runs leads in the 9th twice.  Anyway, I just think this team will find a way to win and find it very unlikely they will be swept.  As a matter of fact, I like their chances - we'll see.

Playing .500 ball was all I asked for this year. Everything on top of it is just gravy. That's not to say I won't be disappointed if they get bounced but once the sting passes I will still be very happy and proud of this season as a Reds fan.

Well said.  After a 15 year playoff drought and a 10 year winning season drought, this season has been and will be a great success, win or lose in the playoffs.  And speaking of the playoffs, a Reds win or Cardinals loss tonight clinches it.

Congrats to Reds fans on winning the division.  Nothing like watching your favorite team playing October baseball.

Keep winning. Don't wanna face Philly in five.

I agree entirely.  The Phillies are on fire and I think they're going to win the NL regardless, but if you're the Reds, I think you'd rather face them in the NLCS than have to see their great rotation in a short series.

Someone posted Jay Bruce's walk-off home run that clinched the NL Central title from the FSOhio broadcast.

One warning:  The volume is very low.  So if you turn it up, watch out at 1:19 mark.  The poster points out that the crowd is chanting "Bruce" and not booing at a MUCH LOUDER VOLUME!!! 

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Whoever called in and complained about the REDS smoking in there own private clubhouse is a LOSER.

Apparently there were multiple complaints.  Also, wasn't GABP funded by taxpayers?  I'm sure this is a gray area, but are you sure it's really "private."

Whoever called in and complained about the REDS smoking in there own private clubhouse is a LOSER.

Apparently there were multiple complaints.  Also, wasn't GABP funded by taxpayers?  I'm sure this is a gray area, but are you sure it's really "private."

Not only that.  They were drinking alcoholic beverages too. 

The Health Department said nothing would probably come of the situation and that further action was unlikely. They understand what was going on. There are always some annoying nitpicky people out there, unfortunately.

The Health Department said nothing would probably come of the situation and that further action was unlikely. They understand what was going on. There are always some annoying nitpicky people out there, unfortunately.

Not to shoot the messenger, but I think that's a double-standard and a BS response--especially when the law was ridiculous to begin with.

Amen - I would like to find out who the d-bags were that would even complain.  The celebration was pretty standard.  Some people really need to get a life - interlopers are ridiculous.  Of more concern to me is the fact that the Reds did not put away the Brewers when they had multiple opportunities.  I officially declare that the Reds should always take Gomes down in a situation where you absolutely need to move a runner over, or at least put the ball in play.  Unless somebody quickly enlightens him to the term "shorten your swing".

The Reds just wrapped up the regular season with a 91-71 record so I thought I would give myself a little credit.  There are definitely some parallels with 1990 - regardless of what happens I am pretty excited to see some playoff baseball in Cincinnati.

With an eye on 91-71 - that will win the division this year, just like 90.

The Reds just wrapped up the regular season with a 91-71 record so I thought I would give myself a little credit.  There are definitely some parallels with 1990 - regardless of what happens I am pretty excited to see some playoff baseball in Cincinnati.

You should've bet money on that!

Good news for Dusty Baker and his coaching staff.  Two-year extensions for everyone.

ESPN:  Dusty Baker, Reds agree on extension

And here's the NLDS schedule against the Phillies:

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Cincinnati at Philadelphia  (5:07 PM  / Volquez vs Halladay)

Friday, October 8, 2010

Cincinnati at Philadelphia  (6:07 PM  / Arroyo vs Oswalt)

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Philadelphia at Cincinnati  (Time TBD / Hamels vs Cueto)

Monday, October 11, 2010

Philadelphia at Cincinnati  (Time TBD / Pitchers TBD)

Wednesday, October 13

Cincinnati at Philadelphia  (Time TBD / Pitchers TBD)

I thought about it because I had mentioned this to friends.  I also have a good feeling about the playoffs but do not want to jinx anything at this point so we'll see.  Great news for Dusty Baker today, and it was nice to see people turn out for the Reds rally prior to heading to Philly.

You should've bet money on that!

Volquez obviously was not ready to pitch - he was tantalizingly close to getting out of the second with no runs, but fell apart with 2 outs giving up 3 more.  The way Halladay is pitching the Phillies might only need 1 run though - he is ridiculous right now.

The Reds almost have no margin for error now with the guarantee of seeing Halladay again later in the series (if it gets that far).

Also, where was Chapman?  Tonight would have been a good chance to get his feet wet!

^Then why say it and infringe on legit talk about the Reds? Let them have their thread.

Because it was a carry-over joke from the Bengals thread.  Just trying to lighten things up around here.  It seems like it's been awfully tense around here lately, especially in the sports threads.

Anyway, go Reds.  I will be rooting for the only good MLB team in Ohio in the playoffs to overcome the no-no tonight and pull off this series.

Take away all the hype and the reality is the Reds lost game 1 on the road against the likely NL Cy Young award winner...big deal.  Even if you go home down 0-2, series really don't turn until the home team loses a game...and the Reds have a shot at doing that tomorrow before they even get a home game. 

Arroyo has lots of playoff experience; I wouldn't be surprised if he matched Hamels.  Going home 1-1 is advantage Reds, with or without a no-hitter.

The Reds probably have to win the next two games, although the next time they see Halladay it will be in Cincy. 

Anyway, I was impressed with the Philly fans not throwing up on any little girls last night.  That's a big step up for them.

I'm glad to see some optimism here! Yes, it sucked the Reds got shut out, and were the victim of a no hitter.  Not the end of the world though, and it's not like they dropped a home game, or blew a lead.  They flat out got beat by the best pitcher in baseball, and now it's on to game 2.  I will say though, the way the Phillies played yesterday, I'm confident they would have destroyed any team in baseball.  Win or lose, it's just nice to still be caring about baseball in October.  Go Reds!