Sign in to follow this  
Guest richNcincy

Cincinnati Reds Discussion

A great trip, all in all. 6-3 on the West Coast? 3.5 games up? I can't complain.

By the way, Cle17, I assume that you can't be pleased with these lineups that Tony LaRussa is trotting out there, can you? If you don't already, you should check out www.vivaelbirdos.com. It's a pretty good Cards blog. To say they've been brutal about the Cards' offense lately would be kind.

LaRussa doesn't have much to work with now.  Trading Ludwick is looking like a bigger mistake with every day that passes.  I'm a big fan of the pitcher batting 8th, though. :)

A great trip, all in all. 6-3 on the West Coast? 3.5 games up? I can't complain.

By the way, Cle17, I assume that you can't be pleased with these lineups that Tony LaRussa is trotting out there, can you? If you don't already, you should check out www.vivaelbirdos.com. It's a pretty good Cards blog. To say they've been brutal about the Cards' offense lately would be kind.

LaRussa doesn't have much to work with now. Trading Ludwick is looking like a bigger mistake with every day that passes. I'm a big fan of the pitcher batting 8th, though. :)

I didn't understand the trade at the time--I don't think that starting pitching is (or was) the Cards' problem.  I think LaRussa gets a lot of the blame, because (as I understand it) he has a ton of input on the roster makeup, and it sure seems like guys like Lopez, Aaron Miles, and Brendan Ryan are "his guys."  What they seem to have ended up with is a collection of utility guys, none of whom really hit that well.  The hardcore guys at vivaelbirdos.com seem to be pretty up in arms over what LaRussa has done lately. 

Also, since when did Holliday become a nightmare in the outfield?  He misplayed that hit by the Lannan terribly today. 

Reds get extra inning win tonight / Cards get shutout by Houston tonight

Reds lead the Central by a season-high six games.

Damn, this is getting really exciting. I've been thinking about how to acquire playoff tickets ... anyone else?

^Don't speak too soon...one game at a time...

Very true, but this would be a major purchase - so some thought into as to where the source of the funds will come from is legitimate.

Btw, does anyone know the exact date on when they place the elimination/lock-in division standings up? I know it's supposed to be soon now and I can't remember for the life of me.

As it stands, there are 31 games left of the season and we are guaranteed 6 of those games with Cards/Reds winning avg. differential to remain in 1st, so basically, there is 25 left.

^ That would be the "magic number." You take the number of games left, add one, then subtract the number of games up.  So right now the number is 26.  So whatever the date is of the 26th game from now would be the date.  If the Red's lead increases, that date gets closer.

As of right now, the Reds have the second biggest lead over the closest divisional opponent in baseball!

It's an exciting time to be a Reds fan, that's for sure.  I do agree with Johio though.  Cincinnati is a baseball town, and the Reds are supposed to be THE team, so we need to get out and support them.  It's embarassing to hear the commentators call out the low attendence in GABP.

Chapman's stuff tonight was downright filthy. A 102 fastball followed by an 87 mph slider. That's just sick.

ESPN showed one of his pitches hit 103. Amazing.

"The boss rolls up in a new Lamborghini and tells his staff 'The greatest part about America is that hard work breeds wealth. So if you work hard and dedicate yourself tirelessly to the task at hand, I can get another new Lamborghini next year.'” -- Overheard in a Cleveland bar.

There is always something to bitch about in Cincy inre sports....they just drew 110k for the Cubs series

Its the 1st and 2nd week of school in lots of places; some colleges are back....that probably is a temporary drop in weeknight attendance.

I wonder if there is a comparison of BBall attendance vs. size of market?

Not to go to far off topic...I was visiting Pittsburgh a few years ago and went to a Cubs-Pirates game on a beautiful Sunday afternoon (by the way...I love PNC Park...one of the best in the nation...hard to say being from Cleveland)...the crowd was about 28,000 and easily 30% were Cubs fans.  I was very surprised...loved it that the Pirates won in extra innings after a botched play by a Cubs outfielder.

^By the way...having not won in 100 years and and still being such loyal fans is my definition of a great fan.

At this point there is no reason the Reds should not be getting 35k every game (as I type while watching the game with two young grade schoolers).  I did go to the Saturday night sellout last weekend though.  Anyway, the Courier had an article at the end of July that showed the Reds have the 4th highest TV rating for all regional sports networks, and the highest radio rating.  The raw numbers for radio placed the Reds 10th as I recall - due to larger markets like each of the 2 teams in NYC, Chicago, and LA have, for example.

Cincinnati obviously still has a deep connection with the Reds as the numbers show, but they need to get those viewers and listeners in the seats.  Actually, the fans owe it to the Reds to be there with how they have played.

The Cubs have fans because they've built a business model where losing is acceptable.  Boston has an old stadium too but one where the fans actually know what's going on on the field.  If Crosley was still around I think the Reds would have the cache around the country that Boston and Chicago have, despite the construction of I-75 parallel to the outfield wall.  I-90 is a block from Fenway Park and there are McDonald's and car washes facing Wrigley Field. 

It's hilarious how people to this day are convinced that Crosley needed to be torn down because it flooded.  Nobody seems to realize that the Mill Creek Barrier Dam and flood walls were built two miles south in the late 40's.  The area has not flooded since, yet the Reds moved to the Riverfront, which of course has flooded.   

It's hilarious how people to this day are convinced that Crosley needed to be torn down because it flooded. Nobody seems to realize that the Mill Creek Barrier Dam and flood walls were built two miles south in the late 40's. The area has not flooded since, yet the Reds moved to the Riverfront, which of course has flooded.

Yeah, but if we had kept Crosley and still played in it our fans might be as arrogant as those jerks in Boston and Chicago (No offense White Sox Fans)

6-1, baby.

Cards must be feeling pretty burned. This was a symbolic victory.

You should have heard the crowd when the Cuban missile crisis began!!   

I saw 103 flash once but, was in such awe along with the other 45k or so people in attendance, that I forgot to take a shot of it being displayed.  Needless to say the crowd started dispersing pretty fast in the end of the 8th.  The paper is reporting 103.9 as the fastest.

DSC_0708.jpg

The..

DSC_0709.jpg

windup..

DSC_0710.jpg

and..

DSC_0711.jpg

the..

DSC_0712.jpg

pitch!

DSC_0705.jpg

Some teasers til I get around to posting a st louis thread in city photos!

DSC_0534.jpg

DSC_0629.jpg