Sign in to follow this  
Guest richNcincy

Cincinnati Reds Discussion

The Reds thread is finally clean.  Just in time for tomorrow's final game of the 2009 season.  Just in time to post-mortem 2009 or discuss how much improved the team will be for 2010, right? 

Speaking of 2010.  The "2010 Reds Schedule" thread is now merged into this restored thread. 

And if anyone wants to complain that cleaning the thread took too long.  It took a LONG time to edit a couple hundred Uncle Rando articles posts!  I didn't mind doing it because I am a Reds fan - but I don't even live in Cincy guys!

Why didn't UncleRando clean his own posts, just as non-moderator members ended up doing?  Just saying.

My approach to cleaning threads hasn't been focused on solely cleaning my own posts.  I've been going through and cleaning entire threads at a time which includes tons of other members' posts along with my own.  I do appreciate that others have been able to help out in this process and clean some of my posts as well.

I've been wanting to go to Redsfest for the past couple years but havent found time to go. Looks like we will pretty much have the same team as last year with a few minor departures like Nix and McDonald.

Hey, the Reds made some off-season news...

Sources: Cuban lefty Chapman OKs deal with Reds

Updated Jan 11, 2010 - 3:44 AM ET

Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman has agreed to a multiyear contract with the Cincinnati Reds, multiple sources said Sunday.  Chapman’s deal will be worth $30 million over five years, one of the sources said, although a Reds official wouldn’t confirm the figure. 

Chapman, a hard-throwing 22-year-old, made two starts for Cuba in last year’s World Baseball Classic before defecting.  He then filed for free agency, beginning an intense pursuit by numerous clubs.  The Toronto Blue Jays recently offered Chapman $23 million, but that was not enough.

Full story at http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/cuban-aroldis-chapman-reaches-deal-with-cincinnati-reds-011010

And a report from ESPN with video: Reports: Chapman headed to Cincy

The Reds have the potential for a pretty mean starting rotation if/when Chapman, Leake, and Wood become ready for the majors. They have also signed free agent SS/2B Orlando Cabrera. Today a trade was announced sending Adam Rosales and Willy Taveras to the Athletics for IF Aaron Miles. Watching Rosales was entertaining but i'm happy to see Taveras go. Hopefully Miles can bounce back from his rut.

Edit: Taveras was designated for assignment by the Athletics right after he was acquired. Guess they didn't really want him either lol.

The 2010 MLB Season starts tonight with a Yanks vs. Red Sox Sunday Night game.  But the real Opening Day starts tomorrow in Cincinnati!!!

I got my Sports Illustrated Baseball Preview issue this week.  SI predicts the Reds to finish third in the NL Central Division with a 79-83 record.  St. Louis is picked to finsh first and Chicago second in the division.  That's higher than I would have expected.  But SI likes the Reds young pitching prospects, the bullpen strength, and some of the position players added. 

And if you really want to get optimistic, new ESPN Baseball Tonight analyst Aaron Boone predicts the Reds to win the NL Central!

Personally, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to 2010.  Maybe nine straight years of losing records is getting to me. 

The Reds do have the potential to field a very good team.  On the position player side - Votto and Phillips are great.  Stubbs could be great.  Bruce could be great or terrible.  Cabrera looks like a smart off-season pick up.  Rolen could be a solid pick-up (if he can stay healthy).  On the pitching side - Harang still looks terrible.  Arroyo and Bailey could be great if they can pitch like they did in last season's second half.  Lots of young starting talent in Chapman, Leake, and Wood.  Cordero is solid at closer.  Lots of young lively arms in the bullpen.  Lots of potential.  But potential doesn't always pan out.  Still, there's some hope for 2010.

^ The NYT also expects the Reds to win the NLC. I've been really optimistic for so many years, we'll see what happens. Also, Jocketty has stated that if they're in contention before the All-Star break, they're breaking the bank ... that's good to hear.

They definitely have the talent this year. Hopefully the offense they displayed in the game today will carry on throughout the season. Unfortunately Masset didn't show up with his A game in the 9th otherwise the reds probably wouldve won.

Once again I am ticked that the ballpark did not open to the city instead of the river.  Especially with this new building the view would have been awesome.  I think there was some excuse about FWW somehow creating a bad view, but it seems bogus (unless there is reason the diamond has to face a certain direction).  I am excited about the development around the ballpark, but we missed badly on both of our stadiums' orientation.  Pittsburgh definitely got this right.

^ Unless GABP's position were switched with PBS's. Now it's on NKY to make the view cooler.

It seems to me, though, that opening the stadium towards the city could be asking for the ball to be hit into the street with some frequency. Potentially a liability. Maybe I'm off base (bad pun).

Once again I am ticked that the ballpark did not open to the city instead of the river.  Especially with this new building the view would have been awesome.  I think there was some excuse about FWW somehow creating a bad view, but it seems bogus (unless there is reason the diamond has to face a certain direction).  I am excited about the development around the ballpark, but we missed badly on both of our stadiums' orientation.  Pittsburgh definitely got this right.

[i am not so sure I agree. How many major league ball parks have a view of  a beautiful river with wooded hills?}

MLB Rule 1.04:

"It is desirable that the line from home base through the pitchers plate to second base shall run East-Northeast."

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/objectives_1.jsp

Overkill, but I was curious. All these years I was bitter about the direction the ballpark faced but it makes complete sense now.

I always thought that GABP should have faced Mt. Adams with the Immaculata in center or left field.  That would be consistent with the East or North East preference. and be a much better back drop than Newport. 

the stadium is intended to be a haven, a place where fans watch professional baseball, not their surroundings.  25k on the river 81 times a year works for me, regardless of which direction they could or couldn't point the outfield.

the stadium is intended to be a haven, a place where fans watch professional baseball, not their surroundings. 25k on the river 81 times a year works for me, regardless of which direction they could or couldn't point the outfield.

I believe you said recently that a basketball arena would be perfect for Broadway Commons. Why would an open-air baseball stadium not care about its views, but a closed basketball arena would be perfect up against Mount Adams?

the stadium is intended to be a haven, a place where fans watch professional baseball, not their surroundings. 25k on the river 81 times a year works for me, regardless of which direction they could or couldn't point the outfield.

1. Have you ever watched a baseball game? There is a lot of downtime, during which you could absorb the views.

2. A nice view has a subconscious effect of making you enjoy your experience more, and be more likely to want to come back or report a positive experience to others.

3. (Related to 1 and 2) It would draw good word-of-mouth support. A knock-out view would be talked about nationally... "You've gotta go to a game in Cincinnati! The view outside the park is as good as the game!" (Maybe not exactly like that, but you get the point.)

I agree it's not the most important thing, but it's not irrelevant.

MLB Rule 1.04:

"It is desirable that the line from home base through the pitchers plate to second base shall run East-Northeast."

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/objectives_1.jsp

Overkill, but I was curious. All these years I was bitter about the direction the ballpark faced but it makes complete sense now.

from Jack: east-northeast???

View aside, it was necessary to position the stadium like they did so that the main gate, front offices, walk-up ticket sales, and hall of fame were easily accessible to the street, DT, and the Riverfront Transit Center (which was intended to have a rail component(s) included). Any other sort of orientation would have completely alienated these amenities or necessitated a completely different design for the entire ballpark.

If the Stadium faced Mt. Adams instead of the river the main entrance/ticket window would still be in the same place as it is under the current configuration.  There is no rule that the main entrance has to be behind home plate.  The main entrance to Coors Field in Denver, for example, is in left field.

the stadium is intended to be a haven, a place where fans watch professional baseball, not their surroundings.  25k on the river 81 times a year works for me, regardless of which direction they could or couldn't point the outfield.

I believe you said recently that a basketball arena would be perfect for Broadway Commons. Why would an open-air baseball stadium not care about its views, but a closed basketball arena would be perfect up against Mount Adams?

A basketball arena fits there b/c it supports downtown and OTR through the cold season.  Having the stadium on the riverfront with an outdoor sport makes sense, regardless of where the view leads you.  At the end of the day I'd rather see money trickle into OTR than enjoy fantastic views of Mt. Adams at a baseball game.

The complaining about the view is insane to me, because if people thought Cincinnati was cool enough on its own, it wouldn't need a postcard-worthy view at a stadium to attract visitors.  The view is already very nice!

Baseball season is almost two months longer than basketball season with more games played. Sounds like baseball is the better activity generator. Sorry, I'm just not seeing how your line of thinking makes sense.

This is getting off topic. I can move this convo if you all wish to continue it, but it's all just retrospect now.

Baseball season is almost two months longer than basketball season with more games played. Sounds like baseball is the better activity generator. Sorry, I'm just not seeing how your line of thinking makes sense.

This is getting off topic. I can move this convo if you all wish to continue it, but it's all just retrospect now.

I'll make it simple for you.  Cold weather + no arena attracting 12k a couple nights a week = struggles for downtown and OTR's entertainment district in the winter.  Sunshine = more people downtown.  No baseball on the river = no major draw at this point.  It wouldn't be efficient to put a ballpark downtown and leave the river bare in the warm months.  It wouldn't make sense to invest so heavily into the Banks if Reds Stadium wasn't there to ensure its visibility for six months.

Please remove the baseball stuff. :whip: This thread is about GAT @ QCS. This whole page is not devoted to QCS.

And it's webcam!

And CT's Flagpole!

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Reds blow lead, recover to beat Dodgers

By John Fay, Cincinnati Enquirer, April 20, 2010

CINCINNATI - In the end, it was a win. Not a pretty win. Not an easy win. But a win.

The Reds squandered a six-run lead, then came back and scored two runs on Paul Janish’s two-out single in the eighth to beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 11-9 Tuesday night before a crowd of 12,965 at Great American Ball Park.

The reds are coming off a 3 game sweep of the Pirates. They have won 5 in a row, and are only 1 game out of first place. The first place Cards are coming to town for 3 games this weekend, does anybody out there care?

The reds are coming off a 3 game sweep of the Pirates. They have won 5 in a row, and are only 1 game out of first place. The first place Cards are coming to town for 3 games this weekend, does anybody out there care?

Yes.  I will be going to their game on Wednesday, May 19 when they take on the lowly Braves in Atlanta.

Yeah, I've been following the Reds as much as I can (very rarely on TV out here).  Go Reds! They need to keep playing how they're playing, and the Cards need to keep losing to teams like the Astros!

Jeez, what a tough way for the Reds to lose a game.  Box score from yesterday's game with the Braves.  Braves get seven runs in ninth and a walk-off pinch-hit grand slam to win.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  R  H  E

CIN  0 8 0 0 1 0 0 0 0  9  13  4 

ATL  0 0 1 0 2 0 0 0 7  10  10  1

Game recap and video from ESPN: Reds blow early eight-run lead, fall to Braves

Why he leave the picture in for the 9th after already pitching 3 inning and the other relief pictures needed work because the starters are completing game is BEYOND me. Just only one game but it's a reality check.