Sign in to follow this  
Guest richNcincy

Cincinnati Reds Discussion

Reds open ticket kiosk in Kenwood

Friday, June 1, 2007 | CINCINNATI BUSINESS COURIER

BLUE ASH - The Cincinnati Reds will open the team's first off-site ticket location Friday, at Kenwood Towne Centre.

Fans will be able to order, purchase, print out and pick up tickets at the kiosk, located at the mall's ground-floor food court, according to a news release. The team's only other ticket office is located at the Great American Ball Park downtown.

To celebrate the kiosk's opening, the Reds are giving away prizes from 3-4 p.m. Friday, including 40 field-level seats for the team's June 15-17 series against the Texas Rangers. The event will include WLW-AM talk show host Bill Cunningham, former Red Tracy Jones and mascot Mr. Redlegs.

But you have to risk life and limb pulling your wallet out into the open like that downtown.  I guess this makes sense for the team, but I have a negative feeling about it.

But you have to risk life and limb pulling your wallet out into the open like that downtown.  I guess this makes sense for the team, but I have a negative feeling about it.

Why does this give you a bad feeling?  If anything, it should just sell more tickets, which is a good thing.

From the 5/29/07 Cincinnati Post:

Reds Slump: And not just on the field

Many fans steering clear of the ballpark

By Kevin Goheen, Post staff reporter

The Reds are owners of the worst record in the National League. Their place in baseball's attendance standings isn't much better.  Through the first 28 home games, or approximately one-third of their home schedule, the Reds are on pace to draw fewer than 1.9 million fans to Great American Ball Park.  That would be the smallest attendance figure in the park's brief five-year history.

Season attendance figures

Top 12 season attendance figures for the Reds, ranked by average per game. Only the first season of Great American Ball Park, 2003, ranks in this list. The rest were from Riverfront Stadium/Cinergy Field, which had a higher capacity.

Year  Attendance  Avg. 

1976  2,629,708  32,466

1994 ¹ 1,897,681  31,628

2000 ² 2,577,351  31,431

1978  2,532,497  31,265

1977  2,519,670  31,107

1993  2,453,232  30,287

1990  2,400,892  29,641

1991  2,372,377  29,289

1979  2,356,933  29,098

2003  2,355,259  29,077

1992  2,315,946  28,592

1975  2,315,603  28,588

¹ - 60 home games played because of players strike.

² - 82 home games played.

Full story at http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070529/NEWS01/705290353

From Business First of Columbus, 6/4/07:

Reds move up in money standings

Business First of Columbus - June 1, 2007

by Steve Watkins

For Business First

The ownership rule of Bob Castellini has not only improved the Cincinnati Reds' performance on the field - although not this year - it has improved the financial results, too.  The Reds were the seventh-most profitable team in Major League Baseball last season, despite playing in one of its smaller markets.  The club netted $22.4 million in operating income last year, according to Forbes magazine's annual estimate of teams' financial results.

That was up 22 percent from $18 million in the prior year and just $1 million shy of the highest level since at least 1998, Forbes said.  The profit came in a year that saw the Reds place 22nd among the 30 teams in revenue, with $146 million.  But considering the team plays in the 28th-largest MLB market - only Kansas City and Milwaukee are smaller - that ranking doesn't look bad, either.

Steve Watkins is a reporter for the Cincinnati Business Courier, an affiliated newspaper.

Full story at http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2007/06/04/story16.html

Well Homer made his debut and looked quite poised for his very first start...and oh it just happened to be in front of 38,000 people for the Cincinnati v. Cleveland rivalry.  His fastball looked electric...something I haven't seen from a Reds pitcher in some time.

Reds could get more control in new deal with WLW

BY DAN MONK | CINCINNATI BUSINESS COURIER

June 15, 2007

CINCINNATI - After flirting with rival bidders, the Cincinnati Reds are close to signing a new five-year rights agreement with 700 WLW-AM parent Clear Channel Communications Inc.  Phil Castellini, the team's senior director of business operations, confirmed a rights deal is close.  Castellini told the Business Courier's editorial board June 12 he hopes to renew the team's contract with the Big One by month end.  He wouldn't reveal terms of the deal but confirmed the team explored potential deals with Clear Channel competitors.

The new five-year deal might differ dramatically from prior radio-rights agreements signed between baseball's oldest franchise and the 50,000-watt station that has owned the Reds radio rights since 1969.  According to local media buyer Rob Riggsbee, owner of Newtown-based Inside Media, the two parties are pursuing a deal in which Clear Channel would avoid a $4 million annual rights fee in exchange for giving the Reds control of most of its air-time inventory.  That would let the Reds package radio commercials into larger sales contracts with sponsors and ticket buyers.

What we could really use in the first 10 picks in the next draft.  We suck, and it's not even like we can say that we have an abundance of talent coming up through the minors...because we don't.  We're going to suck for the next 5 years at least. :x

Reds fire manager Narron

Advance scout Pete Mackanin to take helm of losing team

BY JOHN FAY | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER

July 2, 2007

CINCINNATI - The Reds fired manager Jerry Narron on Sunday, hours after the club suffered its 51st loss of the season.  Reds advance scout Pete Mackanin, 55, takes Narron's place.  Mackanin managed the Reds' Triple-A team in Nashville from 1990-92.  He was the Pittsburgh Pirates' interim manager for the final 26 games of 2005 after Lloyd McClendon was fired.

Narron was a casualty of the Reds' awful first half, which has left the team with the worst record in Major League Baseball.  Much of the meltdown has been out of Narron's control. The Reds' bullpen has been especially shaky this season, repeatedly losing games in late innings.  Sloppy play on defense didn't help matters, nor did the Reds' inability to close the deal during three-game series that the team had a chance to win.  Cincinnati hasn't won a series since taking two of three from the Indians at home June 8-10.

LOL 30-50 wow. Well they might as well lose 100 games and get the #1 pick.

only one problem, the baseball draft is nowhere near as important as the football or basketball draft

LOL 30-50 wow. Well they might as well lose 100 games and get the #1 pick.

only one problem, the baseball draft is nowhere near as important as the football or basketball draft

and the number one picks are consistently demanding a lot of money out of the gate, don't know how thrifty your owner is........

^ I think that the minor league baseball draft is very underrated.  "Small market" teams, a la the Reds, have no choice but to draft well.  The elite tier in the draft (represented by Scot Bora) demand more money than many owners can afford.  Although this favors the higher revenue teams, this ultra eliete tier of prospects are not necessarily the best major league players.  Some guys get hyped more than others, but it does not mean that they can play.  Many teams do not want to pour guarenteed money into a guy who is largely unproven.

Teams like the Twins follow a good model.  The Twins decided to draft Joe Mauer ahead of Mark Prior in 2001.  At the time, Prior was billed as one of the best pitchers in College baseball history.  Scouts described his mechanics as 'flawless' and labeled him 'can't miss'.  But Mauer was willing to take less money than Prior.  A lot less.  Mauer is an all star and Prior's career seems to be over.. And the Twins have been to playoffs in 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2006 with a limited payroll.  The point is that it is not impossible to win as a smaller market team.  Other teams like the Indians, Brewers, and A's have also been successful at building their minor league systems and they are starting to reap the rewards.

I think that the Reds have done a good job in drafting recently.  Dan O'Brien's impact on the farm system is starting to be seen in 2007 with Homer Bailey.  The Red's will follow that up with Joey Votto in 2008 and Jay Bruce in 2009, plus a number of arms and three shortstop prospects.  With Adam Dunn off the payroll, the team should have enough money to go after A NEW BULLPEN in the offseason.  Otherwise, the team is not bad talent-wise... and it will only get better.

I remain optomistic for the Reds in the long term.  I don't think that 2007 was Narron's fault, but I am still glad to see him go.  He used too many batting orders and underutilized the bullpen.  Next year, the Reds need a fresh face as the manager.  Someone Outside of the organization.  Let's stop rolling out these home grown minor-league clowns.  It reminds me of the Bengals in the '90s.

^ Yeah, I saw something the other night where they showed all of the players that the Brewers drafted within the last few years and how they were making an impact now--even folks who were drafted two or three years ago.  There were something like 6-8 players on their 25 man roster who fit this category.

Homer?  Homer Bailey?  He's had one really good start, and his debut against the Tribe was so-so.  Otherwise he's been rocked.  All he seems to have is a fast ball that isn't very fast and has no movement.  He's not even throwing as hard as he was at Dayton.  He was only around 90-92 in his last start.

He needs to develop a second pitch fast, because one-pitch pitchers don't last very long in MLB.

some players are so sweet, that they aren't going to learn anything in the minors by blowing everyone away.

baptism by fire, welcome to the reds.

I say we offer Marty the Head Coaching Position!    If you ever listen to him, you know what I mean.  The SOB knows a "little" about baseball and would give a better showing than any of these clowns since the Pinella era.

Now I've been a BIG Griffey supporter ever since he came to the Reds, but the time has come for the Reds to get a clean slate.  Trade Griffey and bring in some young talent.  Bolster up our farm system with this trading period and starting building for a competitive team 3-5 years out.  Make Phillips, Harang, Hamilton, Bailey and co. the base of your rebuilding...the rest can be spared.

Griffey stirs trade talk

Reds won't address star's comment to ESPN

BY JOHN FAY | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER

July 12, 2007

CINCINNATI - Reds officials on Wednesday refused to comment specifically on an ESPN report published Tuesday that quoted Ken Griffey Jr. as saying he thought the team would try to trade him.  But Griffey's agent said Wednesday the team recently called the outfielder to deny a trade rumor that had the Reds right fielder going to the Milwaukee Brewers.

Brian Goldberg said Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky told him "there was nothing to the Milwaukee rumor that got started, and there was nothing on at this time."  Neither Krivsky nor Reds chief executive officer Bob Castellini would comment on specific trade talk. Castellini made it sound as if the club is not getting ready to turn over the roster.  But in a column written by Peter Gammons and published Tuesday on ESPN .com, Griffey said he believed the team would try to trade him before the Aug. 31 playoff roster deadline.

I would love to see the REDS move to AZ. Spring Training out there is great. I've been going for the last 7 yrs. AZ in March is amazing. The heck with FL.

Spring training in Arizona?

By Doug Sword

Sarasota Herald-Tribune

SARASOTA, Fla. - As spring training came to an end last year, there was unanimous political support to build a new baseball complex for the Cincinnati Reds in Sarasota. All five city commissioners and all five county commissioners were on board. Today, the $54 million project is a political longshot, perhaps as unlikely as an appearance by the last-place Reds in this year's World Series. Less than half of the financing is in place, and prospects of raising the rest are growing dimmer. Even the $10 million pledged by the city has been criticized by two city commissioners.

To read more: http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070716/NEWS01/707160364

Most of the Ohio transplants in Ohio hail from Central/Northeast Ohio, hence the reason it makes sense for the Indians to return to spring training in Arizona.  Cincinnatians, for the most part, go to Florida.  Unless the Reds shared a park with one of the other spring training teams (a la the White Sox and D-Backs in Tucson, or the Royals/Rangers in Surprise), I don't think moving them from Florida to Arizona would do much to generate revenue beyond maybe the first season, and only then for the novelty of seeing Cincinnati play in Arizona.  Even that's a longshot.

^ huh? i'd say many more ne ohioans retire or move to florida than arizona by far.

i cant wait to finally see the new reds stadium in person ---

i'm going to a reds game sometime next week -- i take we can just walk up for tickets?

any seating suggestions (we'll have between 4-10 people and have older folks and kids)? thx.

I think that the Sun/Moon Deck (right field seats) are the best.  You have a view of the scoreboard, close to the action, and the concourse with your concessions is essentially a riverwalk along the Ohio.  So that means you'll get some cool breezes off the river from time to time.  They are reasonably priced as well.

Well...I'm going to go ahead and take credit for the Reds' sweep of the Braves.  Igon and I saw the first game in person (10-3) and loved the butt-kicking the Reds gave the Braves.  It was nice going to an away game for a Cincinnati team and seeing a winner!  Normally I'm embarrassed is some way shape or form, but this time Cincinnati did me proud!

Oh BTW, the Braves have this thing where you pay $30 and you get your ticket plus all you can eat popcorn, nachos, hot dogs, soda and peanuts...if you make it $65 you can add all you can drink beer!  What a deal...I totally gorged myself.

Don't look now, but the Reds have jumped past the Astros and Pirates in the NL Central standings.  Who knows...they might make a respectable season out of this yet.