Cincinnati Reds Discussion

Guest richNcincy

It's an exciting time to be a Reds fan, that's for sure.  I do agree with Johio though.  Cincinnati is a baseball town, and the Reds are supposed to be THE team, so we need to get out and support them.  It's embarassing to hear the commentators call out the low attendence in GABP.

Chapman's stuff tonight was downright filthy. A 102 fastball followed by an 87 mph slider. That's just sick.

ESPN showed one of his pitches hit 103. Amazing.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

There is always something to bitch about in Cincy inre sports....they just drew 110k for the Cubs series

Its the 1st and 2nd week of school in lots of places; some colleges are back....that probably is a temporary drop in weeknight attendance.

I wonder if there is a comparison of BBall attendance vs. size of market?

Not to go to far off topic...I was visiting Pittsburgh a few years ago and went to a Cubs-Pirates game on a beautiful Sunday afternoon (by the way...I love PNC Park...one of the best in the nation...hard to say being from Cleveland)...the crowd was about 28,000 and easily 30% were Cubs fans.  I was very surprised...loved it that the Pirates won in extra innings after a botched play by a Cubs outfielder.

^By the way...having not won in 100 years and and still being such loyal fans is my definition of a great fan.

At this point there is no reason the Reds should not be getting 35k every game (as I type while watching the game with two young grade schoolers).  I did go to the Saturday night sellout last weekend though.  Anyway, the Courier had an article at the end of July that showed the Reds have the 4th highest TV rating for all regional sports networks, and the highest radio rating.  The raw numbers for radio placed the Reds 10th as I recall - due to larger markets like each of the 2 teams in NYC, Chicago, and LA have, for example.

Cincinnati obviously still has a deep connection with the Reds as the numbers show, but they need to get those viewers and listeners in the seats.  Actually, the fans owe it to the Reds to be there with how they have played.

Guest jmecklenborg

The Cubs have fans because they've built a business model where losing is acceptable.  Boston has an old stadium too but one where the fans actually know what's going on on the field.  If Crosley was still around I think the Reds would have the cache around the country that Boston and Chicago have, despite the construction of I-75 parallel to the outfield wall.  I-90 is a block from Fenway Park and there are McDonald's and car washes facing Wrigley Field. 

Guest jmecklenborg

It's hilarious how people to this day are convinced that Crosley needed to be torn down because it flooded.  Nobody seems to realize that the Mill Creek Barrier Dam and flood walls were built two miles south in the late 40's.  The area has not flooded since, yet the Reds moved to the Riverfront, which of course has flooded.   

It's hilarious how people to this day are convinced that Crosley needed to be torn down because it flooded. Nobody seems to realize that the Mill Creek Barrier Dam and flood walls were built two miles south in the late 40's. The area has not flooded since, yet the Reds moved to the Riverfront, which of course has flooded.

Yeah, but if we had kept Crosley and still played in it our fans might be as arrogant as those jerks in Boston and Chicago (No offense White Sox Fans)

6-1, baby.

Cards must be feeling pretty burned. This was a symbolic victory.

You should have heard the crowd when the Cuban missile crisis began!!   

I saw 103 flash once but, was in such awe along with the other 45k or so people in attendance, that I forgot to take a shot of it being displayed.  Needless to say the crowd started dispersing pretty fast in the end of the 8th.  The paper is reporting 103.9 as the fastest.

DSC_0708.jpg

The..

DSC_0709.jpg

windup..

DSC_0710.jpg

and..

DSC_0711.jpg

the..

DSC_0712.jpg

pitch!

DSC_0705.jpg

Some teasers til I get around to posting a st louis thread in city photos!

DSC_0534.jpg

DSC_0629.jpg

Lighten up, if the Reds get to the postseason they will do well.

What do you mean lighten up? They have BY FAR played the easiest schedule in all of major league baseball. The Cubs have played the next easiest.  They are 30 over .500 against loosing teams and 11 under against winning teams. I don't know if you know this but their are no loosing teams in the playoffs. They have done this all year and will do it in the playoff's.

Well, I am aware there are no losing teams in the playoffs and suspect there never have been.  Look back at some of the games, especially against the Braves and Phillies, and there were definitely some games they gave away as well as many close games.  I think they actually lost 7 runs leads in the 9th twice.  Anyway, I just think this team will find a way to win and find it very unlikely they will be swept.  As a matter of fact, I like their chances - we'll see.

Playing .500 ball was all I asked for this year. Everything on top of it is just gravy. That's not to say I won't be disappointed if they get bounced but once the sting passes I will still be very happy and proud of this season as a Reds fan.

Well said.  After a 15 year playoff drought and a 10 year winning season drought, this season has been and will be a great success, win or lose in the playoffs.  And speaking of the playoffs, a Reds win or Cardinals loss tonight clinches it.

Congrats to Reds fans on winning the division.  Nothing like watching your favorite team playing October baseball.

Keep winning. Don't wanna face Philly in five.

I agree entirely.  The Phillies are on fire and I think they're going to win the NL regardless, but if you're the Reds, I think you'd rather face them in the NLCS than have to see their great rotation in a short series.

Whoever called in and complained about the REDS smoking in there own private clubhouse is a LOSER.

Apparently there were multiple complaints.  Also, wasn't GABP funded by taxpayers?  I'm sure this is a gray area, but are you sure it's really "private."

Not only that.  They were drinking alcoholic beverages too.