Oldmanladyluck

Cleveland: General Business & Economic News

10 hours ago, E Rocc said:

No, it really isn't   There may or may not be a correlation.   But they are not the same thing.

Especially since everyone has a different definition of what that means.

I completely agree with you E-Rocc. It’s presumptuous to say innovation is “advancing” social issues because that presumes that we all agree on the issues that should be advanced. That’s a top down, presumptuous mentality. And when we hear about what social issues need to be advanced, we almost always hear liberal ones, exclusively. Well the city of Cleveland is 53 percent black and 10 percent Hispanic. (I am in one of those groups). Check Pew Research. Those are not two particularly doctrinaire liberal groups, regardless of voting patterns. I GUARANTEE you many members of those groups would have different views on what social issues should be “advanced” and it may not be in agreement with some of the ones mentioned here. Don’t presume everyone agrees with you on everything. Ok, off the soapbox now lol

• Like 4

On 5/22/2019 at 9:26 AM, inlovewithCLE said:

I completely agree with you E-Rocc. It’s presumptuous to say innovation is “advancing” social issues because that presumes that we all agree on the issues that should be advanced. That’s a top down, presumptuous mentality. And when we hear about what social issues need to be advanced, we almost always hear liberal ones, exclusively. Well the city of Cleveland is 53 percent black and 10 percent Hispanic. (I am in one of those groups). Check Pew Research. Those are not two particularly doctrinaire liberal groups, regardless of voting patterns. I GUARANTEE you many members of those groups would have different views on what social issues should be “advanced” and it may not be in agreement with some of the ones mentioned here. Don’t presume everyone agrees with you on everything. Ok, off the soapbox now lol

This,  and it frustrates the hell out of me that a lot of the "conservatives" don't get this either.  That's all I'll say on this thread.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

This,  and it frustrates the hell out of me that a lot of the "conservatives" don't get this either.  That's all I'll say on this thread.

I am with you guys as well... here's where I get frustrated with my conservatives. Liberals are pushing an agenda for climate change that imo will have substantial economic impact in the negative. Instead of coming up with our own, more pro-growth, plan to combat climate change, we say it doesn't exist and ignore it. 

2 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

I am with you guys as well... here's where I get frustrated with my conservatives. Liberals are pushing an agenda for climate change that imo will have substantial economic impact in the negative. Instead of coming up with our own, more pro-growth, plan to combat climate change, we say it doesn't exist and ignore it. 

I am about as middle of the road as you get, which in this day and age, at least from a media perspective, doesn't exist. If liberals take one stance, conservatives must take the polar opposite or else; and vice versa. Immigration is a great example of an issue that was handled much differently in the early 90's and has become extremely polarizing since.

• Like 1

Investments in Cleveland grow to retain talent, graduates

“If you look at San Francisco or New York city, they always talk about building a start-up out of a garage,” Lewis said. “Well now, that garage costs a million dollars. But in Cleveland, Ohio, you could do it for relatively low-cost. There is great talent here and there’s money here, there’s capital here.”

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/originals/investments-in-cleveland-grow-to-retain-talent-graduates

• Like 1

"Corporations are not people, and money is not speech." -- Move To Amend (aka, Americans' only hope of getting their country back. Every else traces back to the need for campaign finance reform.)

Innovest Global a young company in Chesterland released its 1st Quarter earnings.  The news is they had some earnings, for the first time, on a 1,585% sales increase. They are going to need some additional capital to keep growing, but capital seems to be available lately.  They are a little guy pursuing Transdigm's strategy. (Disclosure: it's a penny stock and I own a few shares.)

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190528005332/en/11.7-Million-Net-Sales-Q1-2019-Headlines

As a co-owner, you could use your influence to encourage them to relocate their offices to downtown Cleveland. 😉 

• Haha 1

"Corporations are not people, and money is not speech." -- Move To Amend (aka, Americans' only hope of getting their country back. Every else traces back to the need for campaign finance reform.)

39 minutes ago, KJP said:

As a co-owner, you could use your influence to encourage them to relocate their offices to downtown Cleveland. 😉 

At this stage of their life, I think they are avoiding taxes. I cited their presser because it annoys me that the PD and Grain's are so poor at covering area businesses with  story to tell. Even Crain's, which used to love Innovest-type stories, is wasting more and more ink on politics.

• Like 1

FWIW....

How does Cleveland rank against Columbus, Pittsburgh for becoming the nation’s next tech hub?

By Emily Bamforth, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The authors of “Jump-Starting America” think boosting the nation’s economy means investing billions of dollars in technology hubs -- but not Silicon Valley, New York City, Boston and Seattle.

Among the top 10 cities for potential growth: Cleveland.

MORE:

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/05/how-does-cleveland-rank-against-columbus-pittsburgh-for-becoming-the-nations-next-tech-hub.html

Good news!! Food and beverage manufacturing in Northeast Ohio has increased by 85%. Discover how this growth is being fueled by technological advances in this quarterly economic review.

https://www.clevelandplus.com/teamneo/news-press-and-updates/northeast-ohio-food-and-beverage-gross-regional-product-grows-85-percent/

I would imagine a great deal of that growth has been with all of the breweries opening up in the city. I feel that brewing is taking on the roll that manufacturing had (albeit on a smaller scale) in that they can provide decent jobs to folks without the need for extensive education.

• Like 2

• Like 1

Breaking through these limitations, McShepard asserts, takes a leader with a combination of key traits: credibility in the community, the civic world and business; knowledge of the issues facing Cleveland; a track record of delivering on projects and initiatives; an appetite for leadership and the autonomy to speak and act freely on behalf of the community without fear of reprisal or professional repercussion.

This statement leaves out being black as a prerequisite. Perhaps I’m too idealistic but this notion that your skin color determines your worth or credibility is really depressing. 

Was this McShepard guy paid for this report? All generalizations and now, of course, the Russians are blamed for blacks not voting for Hillary...lol. You can’t make this stuff up.

Oddly, no mention of black flight.

with current inept black leadership like U.S. Rep Marcia Fudge, Frank Jackson, Ken Johnson, Jeff Johnson, and soon to be mayor Zach “King of the Warhouse District” Reed, it can only be blamed on the Russians I suppose.

From the black optimism of the ‘70s Chocolate City Movement to friggin’ Fudge, Jackson, the Johnsons, and Reed. What a disaster. Honorable mention to Lance Mason.

Let me guess, these “programs” will be sponsored by “community groups” funded by taxpayers. See also Reggie Rucker and his non-profit (except for him personally) Cleveland Peacekeepers Alliance among others. Now we have “leadership” programs.

Edited by Oxford19
  • Sad 1
  • Poison 1

2 hours ago, surfohio said:

Breaking through these limitations, McShepard asserts, takes a leader with a combination of key traits: credibility in the community, the civic world and business; knowledge of the issues facing Cleveland; a track record of delivering on projects and initiatives; an appetite for leadership and the autonomy to speak and act freely on behalf of the community without fear of reprisal or professional repercussion.

This statement leaves out being black as a prerequisite. Perhaps I’m too idealistic but this notion that your skin color determines your worth or credibility is really depressing. 

I agree. Disenfranchisement based on race is depressing. 

1 hour ago, Oxford19 said:

Was this McShepard guy paid for this report? Generalizations all and now, of course, the Russians are blamed for blacks not voting for Hillary...lol. You can’t make this stuff up.

Oddly, no mention of black flight.

with current inept black leadership like U.S. Rep Marcia Fudge, Frank Jackson, Ken Johnson, Jeff Johnson, and soon to be mayor Zach “King of the Warhouse District” Reed, it can only be blamed on the Russians I suppose.

From the optimism of the ‘70s Chocolate City Movement to friggin’ Fudge, Jackson, the Johnsons, and Reed. What a disaster. Honorable mention to Lance Mason.

Let me guess, these “programs” will be sponsored by “community groups” funded by taxpayers. See also Reggie Rucker and his non-profit (except for him personally) Cleveland Peacekeepers Alliance among others. Now we have “leadership” programs.

Yes, this 100%. Very coherent.

4 hours ago, ShakerLondonATL said:

Should being black NOT be a prerequisite in developing black leadership?

How about just being a leader? In THE community. 

• Confused 1
  • Poison 1

12 hours ago, surfohio said:

How about just being a leader? In THE community. 

I don't think these things are mutually exclusive.  However, in a city where white people think/feel/believe that black are "less than" or are all impoverished, concentrating on leaders of color is imperative.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

I don't think these things are mutually exclusive.  However, in a city where white people think/feel/believe that black are "less than" or are all impoverished, concentrating on leaders of color is imperative.

Exactly. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, surfohio said:

The fact that it even needs to be explained why having black leadership IN the black community is important is depressing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

Maybe I’m incorrect, or misreading the context of the word “leader” in this instance. My instinctive reaction to telling people “you need a leader to succeed” is extremely condescending. Also it’s strange to suggest that someone who is not black cannot be a “leader” or role model or pillar of a predominantly black neighborhood. 

2 hours ago, inlovewithCLE said:

The fact that it even needs to be explained why having black leadership IN the black community is important is depressing

Okay then. For the sake of discussion what is your definition of a “black leader?” 

19 hours ago, bumsquare said:

I agree. Disenfranchisement based on race is depressing. 

Nice. Did you even read the article? I’m guessing you didn’t. 

On 5/23/2019 at 11:12 AM, YABO713 said:

What if it's not possible to have constant economic growth and solve the climate change crisis? Which will you give up? How long are we going to wait before we start actually doing something about this?

3 hours ago, Cavalier Attitude said:

What if it's not possible to have constant economic growth and solve the climate change crisis? Which will you give up? How long are we going to wait before we start actually doing something about this?

It is though - it absolutely is. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, surfohio said:

Maybe I’m incorrect, or misreading the context of the word “leader” in this instance. My instinctive reaction to telling people “you need a leader to succeed” is extremely condescending. Also it’s strange to suggest that someone who is not black cannot be a “leader” or role model or pillar of a predominantly black neighborhood. 

Strange to suggest or reality?  The disenfranchised and those without a voice, need to hear things like this from those inside and outside the community.

16 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

Strange to suggest or reality?  The disenfranchised and those without a voice, need to hear things like this from those inside and outside the community.

Well I get that. It’s a good message to encourage people to educate and empower themselves. But this article seems to have a different tonal message and altogether different, top down oversimplified solution to what we know is a very terribly complex problem. 

I’d like to get a better idea of what this program really does. My initial thoughts are that it’s limousine liberal approach that won’t get any traction. I hope I’m wrong. 

20 minutes ago, bumsquare said:

I did 

Fair enough. I’m interested in hearing about what you think about the program. Specifically what positive effects you expect it to have. 

"blacks in Cleveland are not going to vote for a white mayor"

I don't know about that. The demographics are not dramatically different now than when Jane Campbell was mayor, and Mike Duggan's been the mayor since 2013 or so, Lyda Krweson since 2017, Jim Strickland since 2016, etc. 

And Mike White may have got the ball rolling with Gateway, the Browns, the downtown museums and Euclid Corridor, but he was exceptionally corrupt (Nate Gray was just released from fed prison coincidentally), a complete opposite of Mayor Jackson (who isn't a buffoon, just ineffective with the occasional faux pas or tantrum).

Edited by TBideon
  • Like 2

^based on data from the Brookings Report, cited above, Where jobs are concentrating and why it matters to cities and regions   (https://www.brookings.edu/research/where-jobs-are-concentrating-why-it-matters-to-cities-and-regions/). The report has a map of all cities, color-coded, by 2004-15 change. I instead chose 2012 to reflect life in the post-recession world.

Change in Job density from 2012 to 2015:

Akron: -19% (see note under Seattle)

Chicago:  6%

Cincinnati:  15%

Cleveland: 13%  -- ranked 17 out of 94.

Columbus:  9%

Dayton:  -1%

Detroit: 17%

Philly: 13%

Pittsburgh:  -6%

San Francisco:  30% -- the highest on the list

Seattle:  -21% --the worst on the list of 94 metros.  Akron was 2nd worst.

Toledo: 0%

All US Metros:  7%

Edited by Pugu

It's not immediately obvious from the Crain's article, but the measure Brookings is using here is weighted density. It's the density of jobs in the neighborhood where the median/average job in that geography is located.  So Akron showing -19 doesn't mean the overall job density in Akron declined, it means that jobs there are now more spatially diffused (which may or may not involve an overall drop in the number of jobs).  And in Cuyahoga County's case, it doesn't necessarily mean more jobs overall, or even more jobs moving downtown, it means jobs concentrating in a smaller number of hot spots, which could include suburban nodes as well. 

^Did the geographies used in the study period for each city stay constant from 2004 to 2015?  Or is each year subject to different boundaries based on where the job agglomerations were occurring?   

I also ranked the raw job densities for 2015 for the 94 cities.  Cleveland came in at a respectable 18. Here are the top 30:

Rank  City    2015 Density 

1New York, NY-NJ-PA 138,541

2San Francisco, CA 54,375

3Urban Honolulu, HI 51,554

4Chicago, IL-IN-WI 42,428

5Seattle, WA 35,122

6Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE-MD 25,338

7Pittsburgh, PA 19,320

8Minneapolis, MN-WI 17,631

9Los Angeles, CA 17,386

10Las Vegas, NV 15,633

11Denver, CO 15,259

12New Haven, CT 15,000

13Portland, OR-WA 12,978

14Houston, TX 12,556

15Hartford, CT 12,471

16Baltimore, MD 12,397

17New Orleans, LA 11,754

18Cleveland, OH 11,578

19San Jose, CA 11,133

20Nashville, TN 10,143

21Miami, FL 9,020

22Dallas, TX 8,896

23Atlanta, GA 8,641

24Charlotte, NC-SC 8,092

25Detroit, MI 8,071

26San Diego, CA 7,937

27Rochester, NY 7,635

28Austin, TX 7,502

29Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN 7,484

30Albany, NY 7,253