Miamisburg / Springboro: Austin Landing

Guest preservationrestoration

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was pretty negative about it in an earlier post.

But as a way of making this interchange more competetive with those other interrchanges, it is a clever marketing ploy to say management/white collar take-home pay would be more here than in, say, Middletown or Franklin.

Well, I was pretty negative about it in an earlier post.

But as a way of making this interchange more competetive with those other interrchanges, it is a clever marketing ploy to say management/white collar take-home pay would be more here than in, say, Middletown or Franklin.

Everyone understood what you were saying, except The Obtuse One. And you are right. And so is Brill. It's clever and disgusting. Let's hope someone sues the pants off anyone involved in this scheme.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not I have been cycling to Austin Landing!....on Sunday morning to do some shopping at that Kroger.....this place has a lot of potential to be bikeable at least.  I come up over the top at Waldruh, but there is a very nice bike trail parallelling Austin Road north of the airport....it seems like they are set up to extend it across Spring Valley to connect with the developement....

Behind the paywall:

$40 million to be spent near Austin Boulevard

Growth from Dayton Mall to Austin Blvd

More than $40 million in new construction is planned this year along the three-mile corridor from the Dayton Mall south to Austin Boulevard, according to building permit data...

...and....

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/business/austin-landing-welcomes-four-new-tenant-companies/nYzxW/Austin Landing welcomes four new tenants[/url]

"....ThyssenKrupp Materials NA, a materials and technology company, will move from Poe Avenue in Butler Twp. to Austin Landing in November, an announcement from site developer RG Properties said. The company’s Copper and Brass sales division will move about 27 employees to about 6,000 square feet, RG said.

Washington Twp. investment firm Eubel Brady & Suttman Asset Management will move to Austin Landing, as well, with 30 employees taking about 9,000 square feet, RG said. That move will also happen in November.

Two other as-yet-unnamed business that have signed leases wish to make their own announcements later, RG said. All four signed leases for space at 10100 Innovation Drive, a four-story office building at Austin Landing."

Sounds like some suburb-to-suburb shifts.  Leasable space musical chairs as the "edgeless city" expands...

I don't have any specific reason to continue to rag on Austin Landing. I just say as it goes on the scale is about what I expected - large. The infill between it and Dayton Mall is just more sprawl. Can't see where anything is being achieved other than more farm land loss.

• 3 weeks later...

Burger joint set to be built at Austin Landing

RG Properties is about to start building out the space for another restaurant at Austin Landing.

The developer of the 142-acre mixed use project in Miami Township applied for building permits for a $200,000 build out at 10635 Innovation Drive.

Mary Beth Reser, a spokeswoman for RG Properties, confirmed that the space is being built out for the Five Guys Burgers & Fries, one of six restaurants that have been announced at the retail and office center.

More below:

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/blog/morning_call/2013/08/burger-joint-set-to-be-built-at-austin.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

• 2 weeks later...

Nice profile on the developer behind Austin Landing....

Randy Gunlock sees Austin Landing as meeting regional employment need

As Gunlock, 58, sees the project, he is building not just another mixed-use development or “village.” He is building a magnet for employees living in Cincinnati or points south who might not otherwise consider working or living in the Dayton area.

Bruce Langos, chief operating officer of Teradata, agreed. Austin Landing “is an attractive location for recruitment for companies in the area. Having the ability to acquire talent from the Cincinnati and Dayton corridor is attractive for both experienced people as well as college graduates from many of the region’s great colleges,” he said.

..and, behind the paywall:

New Austin Landing plan coming....about how RG plans on finishing off the complex.  He is developing on both the north and south side of Austin Blvd, and has a entertainment district zoning, permitting a cluster of liquor liscences...for more eating/drinking establishments. 

In the inverview, RG has this to say about the south side:

“And then on the south side, we have planned another couple hundred square feet of retail. And then a hotel, 150 apartment units and about 700,000 square feet of institutional or general office (space).”

Again, as this develops is it doing anything but diluting the retail space south of Dayton Mall? I am sure Springboro and the like are in favor of it, but they are not Dayton. To me it is just further moving the retail center further from downtown, the same thing which is happening in Cincinnati with the likes of Liberty Center. So where do we end up, a downtown devoid of any retail activity, dead for all practical purposes. Perhaps the downtown will have some commercial buildings converted to living space, ala Cincinnti's OTR, but is that going to provide a vibrant downtown? I don't think so if you cannot even shop for the necessities of life downtown. OK, tell me I am stupid just like when I predicted Austin Landing would be far more retail than they originally said.

Again, as this develops is it doing anything but diluting the retail space south of Dayton Mall? I am sure Springboro and the like are in favor of it, but they are not Dayton. To me it is just further moving the retail center further from downtown, the same thing which is happening in Cincinnati with the likes of Liberty Center. So where do we end up, a downtown devoid of any retail activity, dead for all practical purposes. Perhaps the downtown will have some commercial buildings converted to living space, ala Cincinnti's OTR, but is that going to provide a vibrant downtown? I don't think so if you cannot even shop for the necessities of life downtown. OK, tell me I am stupid just like when I predicted Austin Landing would be far more retail than they originally said.

Unfortunately, downtown has not been a retail center since the early 1990's.  I can't think of any downtown in Ohio that is still currently a retail center that isn't struggling with urbanized sprawl retail on their peripheral belts.  We all know it's an issue and we all know Dayton needs vibrancy downtown but I don't get why it's being brought up in this particular thread when the same could be said about ANY retail center outside of city limits anywhere.  Austin Landing was always going to be retail, restaurants, and offices.  Much like that Liberty Center down the street, this is just going to happen as demographics shift along I-75.  I don't know why you think people would call you "stupid" if that was the original intent. 

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

• 5 weeks later...

Miami Twp. voted to approve 200,000 sq. ft. of office space at Austin Landing instead of the cinema, park, ice rink, etc.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2013/09/26/in-second-vote-reworked-austin.html

In my opinion, this is excellent news. Now Austin Landing is less likely to be a net drain on the Dayton Mall area, and will be more likely to land some outside investment with significant job prospects. I know traditionally Austin Landing has only pulled jobs from the Dayton metro, but maybe the site can land some non locally-based tenants. There has been more success recently at doing this in the area, from Assurant's acquisition of the former HP spot on Needmore to P&G's new DC in Union.

I'm assuming the movie theater pulled out because there is a movie theater right down the street, and the only way a lot of people even go to movies anymore is if alcohol is served. The theater might not have been able to get a liquor license. I'm especially happy they pulled the plug on the ice rink, because Dayton does NOT need any more sports arena space unless it is downtown or at the Miami Bend Development in West Carrollton (which would actually be pretty cool if it ever happens).

So I'm hoping for the best and I'm thrilled the stupidity was eliminated. It would be interesting to see if the development retained any of its walkable elements present in earlier plans.

• 8 months later...

Public park at Austin Landing to serve as community gathering space

Festivals, concerts and events are just a few of the uses RG Properties envisions for the public park it is building at Austin Landing.

The publicly funded park in the mixed-use development in Miami Township will include a man-made stream running through several grassy areas and a concrete pad hooked up to a park-wide sound system for events, the company announced Friday.

More below:

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2014/06/27/public-park-at-austin-landing-to-serve-as.html

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Austin Landing developer looks toward future

img2780*180xx1280-960-0-0.jpg

The developer is plotting its next phase on the Springboro side of Austin Boulevard.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2017/07/17/austin-landing-developer-looks-toward-future.html

• 1 month later...

Massive development project approved for south of Dayton

Another massive development is coming south of Dayton.

The Springboro City Council approved the construction and development of Austin South Springboro on Thursday.

The development, which will cost $380 million, is a mixed-use project designed to be a walkable community, said VisCap Development President Larry Dillin.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2017/09/08/massive-development-project-approved-for-south-of.html

I'm an urbanist, but.... I actually live at Austin Landing. In the apartments here.

I chose it because it's the only Buckingham property in the Dayton area (I used to live http://www.thecole.com/ and it is also a Buckingham property), I have a friend in the building, and it's a reasonable distance from my family which is on the other side of town). The complex is somewhat walkable, they made the parking lots not horrid to walk across with tree-lined sidewalks delineating pedestrian walkways away from automobile space. It doesn't exactly encourage walking like an urban environment would, but it's a small nod in the right direction.

It'll be interesting for the south side if they bring more of the same or a less-retail heavy version of a Steiner lifestyle center. The development is inevitable, so if it's going to happen I for one hope the final project will look more like Bridge Park and less like Bridgewater Falls. Right now I can assure you all that millennials aren't fooled into thinking this is a downtown replacement (the "scene" for the area is still decidedly in the Oregon District, downtown, and Brown St).

• 6 months later...

New Midmark HQ at Austin Landing moves forward

web1_Midmark.jpg

A bustling Dayton-area development will add another mixed-use property.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2018/03/09/new-midmark-hq-at-austin-landing-moves-forward.html

• 5 months later...

Massive Austin South project highlights development efforts in Springboro

screen-shot-2018-08-21-at-20117-pm*1200xx1004-565-0-46.png

The city of Springboro has about 200 acres left to develop, but these areas are filling up fast as investors look to take advantage of prime real estate near Interstate 75.

Of the available space, the majority (160 acres) will be used for commercial development, said Springboro City Manager Chris Pozzuto. But nearly half of that acreage may soon be developed by a local company that is eyeing a massive mixed-use project.

VisCap Development, the Miami Township-based developer that manages Austin Landing, has proposed a $330 million private investment project in Springboro known as Austin South. The site, located across the interstate from Austin Landing, is a 68-acre property that would double the size of the Austin Center Interchange, which encompasses Austin Landing.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2018/08/24/massive-austin-south-project-highlights.html

Wow! It looks like The Greene 2.0! Still a little surprised Dayton could support two lifestyle centers but I guess with the Dayton Mall still slowly dying the south side needs a newer, nicer anchor district.

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”