zaceman

Cleveland: Midtown: Development and News

125 jobs from Richfield to Midtown!

January 03, 2020 01:11 PM updated an hour ago

Food manufacturer plans move to a Cleveland headquarters

Stan Bullard

Consumer foods product maker Eagle Family Foods Group LLC is preparing to land in the Phoenix Building, a 1918-vintage building at 1975 E. 61st St. in Cleveland that Hemingway Development has updated inside to serve as a contemporary corporate headquarters.

Legislation to provide incentives to Eagle is pending before Cleveland City Council because the company would bring a $14 million annual payroll, producing an estimated $225,000 in municipal income tax from bringing 125 jobs to Cleveland, according to a briefing document the city's economic development department filed with council.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/food-manufacturer-plans-move-cleveland-headquarters

Edited by willyboy
  • Like 18
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, willyboy said:

125 jobs from Richfield to Midtown!

January 03, 2020 01:11 PM updated an hour ago

Food manufacturer plans move to a Cleveland headquarters

Stan Bullard

Consumer foods product maker Eagle Family Foods Group LLC is preparing to land in the Phoenix Building, a 1918-vintage building at 1975 E. 61st St. in Cleveland that Hemingway Development has updated inside to serve as a contemporary corporate headquarters.

Legislation to provide incentives to Eagle is pending before Cleveland City Council because the company would bring a $14 million annual payroll, producing an estimated $225,000 in municipal income tax from bringing 125 jobs to Cleveland, according to a briefing document the city's economic development department filed with council.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/food-manufacturer-plans-move-cleveland-headquarters

That’s very good news and a testament that the development strategy in Midtown is working!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Great news! This about puts that development at capacity. Hopefully they’ll put up another building on Euclid soon based on spec. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Cyclewerks, a local motorcycle manufacturer plans to locate its new headquarters in midtown. They're not 100% set on a property but it looks like the current plan is for acquiring and redeveloping the abandoned structure at 6512 Carnegie.

This is also in conjunction with their upcoming announcement for a new motorcycle. It will be their first electric bike and the first one they will be manufacturing in Cleveland. On the announcement:

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/391084/cleveland-cyclewerks-project-falcon-rising/

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Sad to see them leaving Gordon Square. Wondering if that complex on West 65th is being targeted for a residential makeover.

11 hours ago, marty15 said:

Sad to see them leaving Gordon Square. Wondering if that complex on West 65th is being targeted for a residential makeover.

That's a bad location for a bike shop or any manufacturing.

Residential makes much more sense there.

Edited by Clefan98
  • Like 2

Not surprising. The building at 6512 Carnegie used to be the Accurate Plating Co. Across Carnegie you have Tempo Products Co., Pierre's Ice Cream plant, American Sugar Refining/Domino's factory and a block west of here you have Haus Malts' malting facility. Interestingly, most of the land around here is zoned as Midtown Mixed Use District, but 6512 Carnegie is one of the few parcels in the area zoned for General Industry.

• Thanks 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

^That's a great mix of industrial uses already there. If we can get the mixed use developments Midtown Inc. is pushing for at Euclid and 55th and maybe some streetscape upgrades along 55th, then we can reclaim a great little pocket neighborhood like used to be there.

• Like 2

Needed the "present" photo to tilt down a little more to get 1 University Circle in the view. 😎 

• Like 1

It's already out of date -- the old police station at Stokes (E. 107) and Chester (lower right in the photo) is no more.

3 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Interesting...most of the changes have occurred due to the Clinic.

That's not really a shocker given what the Clinic is and the fact the photo is taken from right over their main campus! Lol.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PoshSteve said:

The decrease in Clinic surface looks looks to be about even with the increase in Clinic lawns. 

Exactly what I was thinking. It’ll be cool to see this again with all of Midtown’s traction! 

8 hours ago, WhatUp said:

Here are 2 pics I found from 2006 and 2019 that show progress from the last 13ish years

06mid.jpg

mid.jpg

Nice finds! Despite the similar vantage points, I was having a hard time comparing these so I cropped, scaled, and changed the perspective and overlaid them so you can slide back and forth. It's a little distorted, but it made comparing a lot easier for me:

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=09b62e54-3998-11ea-b9b8-0edaf8f81e27

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Possibly more of a Fairfax than Midtown comment, but looking south of CCF, you can really see how many houses CCRLC has demo’d over the last decade. 

40 minutes ago, Clevecane said:

Possibly more of a Fairfax than Midtown comment, but looking south of CCF, you can really see how many houses CCRLC has demo’d over the last decade. 

Indeed, tremendous demolition.

When I was born at Mount Sinai MC in 1956, we lived in a rowhouse on E. 100th Street and Cedar Ave. It is now home to CCF Lerner Research Institute and everything that was on Cedar, Quincy and Carnegie is gone.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

The Stockbridge Apartments building is for sale.  I hope this one falls into the right hands.  It's now a chopped-up 77 units.  I have read that it was originally built to offer multiroom suites for use by residents of Euclid Avenue whose houses became temporarily unusable.

image.jpg

Loopnet image

Edited by Dougal
  • Thanks 1

Remember the apartment project at E 70th that was approved back in July?E_70th_Apartments_IMG_21.thumb.jpg.072936bcc4a343c034f5de847bd16d81.jpg

Last week's Euclid Corridor planning commission agenda had it on again for "building modifications." Anyone have any details?

• Like 1

With everything else going on, I had forgotten all about this one and am excited all over again. Fingers crossed they're adding another floor on to it.

3 hours ago, simplythis said:

Where is this at? Is this Midtown or Campus District?

Euclid, somewhere around the 3500 block.  The units up front are nice, the ones in the back are pretty small and spartan.  The building is actually fairly well maintained.  A buddy of mine lives there, and I would consider it.

• Thanks 1

Regrettable but understandable that nearly all the single family mansions on Euclid were lost over the decades, but it's an equally huge bummer we lost so many grand apartment buildings on Euclid.  There used to be several.  This is one of only a handful left.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PoshSteve said:

With everything else going on, I had forgotten all about this one and am excited all over again. Fingers crossed they're adding another floor on to it.

Don't get your hopes up. There's a reason 4 story stick frames on top of a concrete podium are so common now a days. The building code changes and makes buildings much more pricey once you go above that 4th floor. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, urbanetics_ said:

This is my first time seeing an official listing and unit renderings for 3101 Euclid.

1 bed / 1 bath, 735 sqf, $1,552 per month.

I love how bright these units will be with all the windows!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3101-Euclid-Ave-210-Cleveland-OH-44115/2081215854_zpid/

8DBDDD89-06F2-414E-8032-A9F11EAB604D.jpeg

Justice Center could be like this too.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, urbanetics_ said:

This is my first time seeing an official listing and unit renderings for 3101 Euclid.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3101-Euclid-Ave-210-Cleveland-OH-44115/2081215854_zpid/

^Is that ceiling just painted pan-decking? Because it sure looks like it.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 1:02 AM, urbanetics_ said:

Exterior construction update on this place (The Midtown Apartments) from this afternoon. Looks to be coming along nicely!

Also, I’ve now noticed online listings advertising a 1 bedroom here for $1190, not that previous $1552 that I came across. Which makes a lot more sense.

C3B99399-0792-41CF-96A2-C913B534552A.jpeg

Edited by urbanetics_
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, urbanetics_ said:

Exterior construction update on this place (The Midtown Apartments) from this afternoon. Looks to be coming along nicely!

Also, I’ve now noticed online listings advertising a 1 bedroom here for $1190, not that previous $1552 that I came across. Which makes a lot more sense.

C3B99399-0792-41CF-96A2-C913B534552A.jpeg

Thanks for posting the update.  This is one of my favorite conversions.  I used to ride past it everyday on my way to work and seeing it come back to life is wonderful.  

• Like 3

And if Pennrose can make a go of Warner Swasey, watch the East 55th-Euclid/Chester/Carnegie area blossom.

• Like 6