Guest zaceman

Cleveland: Midtown: Development and News

4 hours ago, viscomi said:

Mansions are a horrible land use for a city, as is playing little house on the prairie. 

I disagree.  There are wonderful examples of pre war Townhomes that are built for city living.

Sorry, I was specifically referring to Cleveland's millionaires row. Which I don't think included many if any townhome variety.

8 minutes ago, viscomi said:

Sorry, I was specifically referring to Cleveland's millionaires row. Which I don't think included many if any townhome variety.

I think there is a space in urban environments were those types of homes can prosper and be desired. Not every neighborhood, has to be high/mid rise, clustered, apartment or condo living.  Look at Hough, Ohio City and Edgewater.  Cleveland neighborhoods with stately homes.

I think mansions would be a better land use for that stretch of Euclid than what is mostly there now! Those mansions could have been turned into office space or subdivided into apartments or condos. I'm sure there are examples of this in Cleveland too, but here are a few old mansions that have been converted to offices in Cincinnati:

Pension Corporation of America

Public library branch

Medical office

really this whole block

3 minutes ago, edale said:

I think mansions would be a better land use for that stretch of Euclid than what is mostly there now! Those mansions could have been turned into office space or subdivided into apartments or condos. I'm sure there are examples of this in Cleveland too, but here are a few old mansions that have been converted to offices in Cincinnati:

Pension Corporation of America

Public library branch

Medical office

really this whole block

Many were given to corporations who sold.   I understand what you're going for, but this is a situation comparing apples to oranges. 

This has been a nice walk down memory lane, but perhaps we could get back to actual development news?

On 6/29/2019 at 3:52 PM, PoshSteve said:

When I first heard they were looking at  that site I was pretty strongly against it. Now I'm more mixed on my feelings. This area of the city does not have any large areas of greenspace. Yes, building the city back up and filling in the vacant lots is more than needed, but so are areas of recreation space larger than just corner pocket parks. The Dunham Tavern block had/has the potential to be that large, central greenspace to build a neighborhood around. Thurgood Marshall and the Nord Greenway are the closest currently, but those are quite distant and no where near walkable from this area; and League Park is rightfully focused on baseball. My initial objection was based on locating an office building on this site when there is so much vacant land, including city owned land, nearby.

Now with the plans released, their building as designed looks beautiful. With the green roof  and use of wood in particular,  I think it will tie in nicely with the current tavern site, and provided they interact with the tavern site and help with programming the area - along with being publicly accessible -  the Foundation being located here could in fact work towards making this block a focus to build a complete neighborhood around. My only trepidation now is with the office building planned for a later phase directly north of their building, which would in theory not be publicly accessible. 

I just don't want recreational park space to be forgotten as this neighborhood is being brought back. It will be much easier to plan it out now while there is still so much empty space than to try and fit it in later down the line when things are filling up.

I would have preferred a ranch house style building east of the street given the historic nature of the location. I'm glad they put the parking lot west of the street however. At least they got the wood right.

On 7/1/2019 at 3:30 PM, GISguy said:

https://pattakoslaw.com/why-is-the-cleveland-foundation-insisting-on-building-its-new-headquarters-on-the-newly-restored-dunham-tavern-museum-greenspace/?fbclid=IwAR3Qb33KOw-2VpRBFPqcqo6QtiNGN4YEXuR4aiVEb5B1JcfU1zKMRvaNNrk

Long link but this was an ad on fb for me, does someone want to let them know it's a lot that's been rotting away and isn't some 'newly restored greenspace'?

PS- I'd love to know how they targeted me for this junk post

Screenshot_20190701-152840_Chrome.jpg

I received the same thing. AI has a way of anticipating our needs and desires long before we even realize them. A sign of things to come.

Reading that crap almost makes me want to demolish the tavern itself and get them the hell off Cleveland's main street between Ohio's largest and fourth-largest employment centers. Almost.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Poison 2

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

Lets just hope Euclid Ave. doesn't take on the characteristics of a giant strip mall. The last thing this town needs is another Golden Gate. At the very least the tavern property helps break up the monotony of the asphalt jungle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shack said:

Lets just hope Euclid Ave. doesn't take on the characteristics of a giant strip mall. The last thing this town needs is another Golden Gate. At the very least the tavern property helps break up the monotony of the asphalt jungle.

The zoning overlay doesn't allow for this. Quite the opposite. It's one of the most advanced in the city. I wish more parts of Cleveland had this overlay.

• Like 2

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

Any plans to build up Cedar Rd? That stretch has been neglected for far too long since the last time I've been there which was a long time ago. 

One thing I don't like are the security fences build around certain companies like Pierre's Ice Cream (and Sherwin Williams research facility along the river). I understand the need for it but it makes for a very uninviting place for any pedestrian who happens to walk by. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Security at R&D sites for food makers and other private industry like SHW is as tight as government bldg. security. Those won’t ever come down as long as they’re being used for the current purpose. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, marty15 said:

Security at R&D sites for food makers and other private industry like SHW is as tight as government bldg. security. Those won’t ever come down as long as they’re being used for the current purpose. 

That's what I'm afraid of, especially for midtown. These compounds remind me of "correction facilities" minus the barbed wire.

• Like 1

These companies were the ones bringing jobs and attention to mid-town when it was dead. They were way ahead of the curve. They can’t be expected to change just because people don’t like their necessary security measures. There is plenty of room left in mid-town for development we all think is aesthetically pleasing so that it lessens the impact of ugly fences. 

• Like 10

11 hours ago, jeremyck01 said:

These companies were the ones bringing jobs and attention to mid-town when it was dead. They were way ahead of the curve. They can’t be expected to change just because people don’t like their necessary security measures. There is plenty of room left in mid-town for development we all think is aesthetically pleasing so that it lessens the impact of ugly fences. 

Exactly 

• Like 1

^ +1 Although I will say that AIT are just a distributor and do not manufacture, nor warehouse, anything at that site, so the fortifications are not necessary. 

In other news there’s construction fencing and work going on at that vacant office building next to WEWS on Euclid and 30th. I assume it’s the long-mooted apartment conversion coming to life. 

• Like 2

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

If you look up through the top floor windows, you can see that the roof is entirely ripped off down to the I-beams.

image.thumb.png.9f2e559bb21ed53e963b7bf46022eda4.png

Renderings are up on CPC's website!! My favorite is this one for the E 70 st project. LOVE the level of density being proposed on the once forgotten East side, and the design is great. My other favorite is Knez's Lakefront development at the end of 55th. This is coming from an NRP employee who is not very happy with our chosen site plan on Scranton...

• Like 8

That's a very pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting something of that scale. I hope something of that scale is what Benesch has in mind for East 55th and Euclid. 

This, the 2 55th developments, Terdolph Park redevelopment.....That whole area could look drastically different in a few short years. 

• Like 3

Love this project. It's exactly the kind of mid-size density that we should be building up and down the Euclid corridor (and a hundred other places too).

• Like 5

Looking at the picture, is there no retail? This stretch of Euclid already has missing retail space in buildings, hopefully it is some in this development. Even if it doesn't fill immediately the space is there to fill when the demand rises. I love everything else in this development.

This building isn't going to be fronting on Euclid.  It will be fronting on East 70th.  A side street with little pedestrian or vehicular traffic.  Nice for an apartment building, but it would not work for retail.

20 minutes ago, X said:

This building isn't going to be fronting on Euclid.  It will be fronting on East 70th.  A side street with little pedestrian or vehicular traffic.  Nice for an apartment building, but it would not work for retail.

Makes sense in that case

8 hours ago, KJP said:

That's a very pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting something of that scale. I hope something of that scale is what Benesch has in mind for East 55th and Euclid. 

Umm @KJP are you subtly dropping some heretofore unknown news on us? What’s Benesch’s involvement at East 55th and Euclid?  Apologies in advance if I’ve missed something, but I searched the forum and the only references to Benesch are related to their intended occupancy at NuCLEus. 🤔

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, brtshrcegr said:

Umm @KJP are you subtly dropping some heretofore unknown news on us? What’s Benesch’s involvement at East 55th and Euclid?  Apologies in advance if I’ve missed something, but I searched the forum and the only references to Benesch are related to their intended occupancy at NuCLEus. 🤔

I was actually wondering the same thing.

• Like 1

^ Right it's actually Berusch Development not Benesch. They control the site at 55th and Euclid that was recently a gas station which demolished about a month ago. No real proposal at this point but speculation is it will be residential based on some of their previous work. I think they did EUCLID 115.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, freethink said:

^ Right it's actually Berusch Development not Benesch. They control the site at 55th and Euclid that was recently a gas station which demolished about a month ago. No real proposal at this point but speculation is it will be residential based on some of their previous work. I think they did EUCLID 115.

Got it, that makes a little more sense! Thanks for clarifying. 

This Cleveland architect makes some good points about using local talent for the new Cleveland Foundation HQ in the Crains link below. Also, i just saw the rendering. Pretty uninspiring and its only a 2-3 story building. I'd rather the Cleveland Foundation be downtown in a high rise---it would fit their stature better than a plain, low-rise building.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/opinion/personal-view-cleveland-foundation-overlooks-local-architects-new-headquarters

Edited by Pugu
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Dislike 1

Correct, Berusch. Sorry for the brain cramp.

not big news....   the mansion on 79th and Carnegie is gone to make way for a dunkin donuts....

across the street angie's soul food has done a good job refurbishing the old hot sauce williams building...

IMG_20190801_191011.jpg

Edited by lockdog

3 hours ago, lockdog said:

not big news....   the mansion on 79th and Carnegie is gone to make way for a dunkin donuts....

across the street angie's soul food has done a good job refurbishing the old hot sauce williams building...

IMG_20190801_191011.jpg

Dunkin’ Donuts is going to be awesome at that location and when Angie’s soul food finally open that would awesome. Cannot wait. Great for us Cleveland Clinic employees 

5 minutes ago, osu4brutus03 said:

Dunkin’ Donuts is going to be awesome at that location and when Angie’s soul food finally open that would awesome. Cannot wait. Great for us Cleveland Clinic employees 

it'll be great for creating new patients for the clinic too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Work looks to be going on with the dilapidated apartment building next to  the DD site too.  I've noticed some new windows installed in the west wall. It was in one of the news stories on DD that it was going to be fully rehabbed. That will be great - it is a gorgeous building.

• Like 3