Guest zaceman

Cleveland: Midtown: Development and News

Agreed about the snarky tone but seriously mick7012- if there's any substantial residential project that's been stalled (like Upper Chester), 99% of the time it will be because of the economic/market conditions. The fact that it's in Unversity Circle might give it a better chance once conditions improve but until then, we probably won't see much movement on it.

Some possible rumblings of the Agora moving/donating to CMSD:

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Cleveland Rock icon the Agora's future is in flux

Owner offers the building to Cleveland schools

WKSU's Vivian Goodman reports

The owner of the Cleveland Agora wants to donate it to the Cleveland schools and make the landmark in rock and roll history the new home of the Cleveland School of the Arts.

He's looking for a smaller location and has offered his building to the Cleveland Metropolitan School District. The Cleveland School of the Arts building at University Circle is dilapidated and the district plans to rebuild or move. But Lo Conti says the district doesn't seem too interested in the Agora and will likely rebuild at University Circle. He maintains that's largely because of unfounded fears about safety at the 50th and Euclid location.

MORE AT http://www.wksu.org/news/story/24915

Sad that the city that hosts the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame can't even keep a rock icon like this open.  I mean, are we really as passionate about rock and roll as the CVB would have outsiders believe?

I floated an Agora-centic idea for this area a few months back, and it was heartily shot down.  NOTHING shall impede the city's suburban light-industrial vision for Euclid Avenue.  What we need right in the middle of Cleveland is Brook Park Road with bus shelters.  Because that's what every successful city does, right?  We'll take jobs any way we can get them, even if it makes the city so unappealing and dysfuncional it prevents ten times as much development from happening in the future.

Our basic governing philosophies must change, in dramatic fashion, before this city can turn itself around. 

I mean, are we really as passionate about rock and roll as the CVB would have outsiders believe?

really?

the cleveland music scene is vibrant, supporting a more active music venues and musicians than most cities. the agora was a part of that, but it faltered, both in bad decisions, and in bad booking. I am no more a fan of the rock and roll city bullshit manifested in the form of stupid guitar "sculptures" on every street corner. but really, every city with a music scene has clubs that close. it's a business. you see it in austin and nyc, as well as cleveland.

the age of the large music club is passing. because bands make most of their money on tour and in licensing, shows are more common, and draw smaller crowds. venues that can respond to this and adapt will be more successful. the agora was not just a relic of another time, it was a bit of dinosaur.

Two startup companies ready to move into Cleveland's Midtown neighborhood

By CHUCK SODER

11:07 am, February 22, 2010

Two startup companies — including one started by the man who founded IQS Inc. in North Olmsted — each have raised about $1 million from investors in Taiwan and soon will be living and working together in Cleveland's Midtown neighborhood.

The companies — business process software company Silico Corp. and electronic device maker Ardent Products Corp. — plan to move into the former Hill Floral Products distribution building at 6401 Midtown Commerce Park Drive this September. Ardent bought the 23,500-square-foot building in December for $665,000 and is in the process of remodeling it.

READ MORE AT:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20100222/FREE/100229980

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/02/35_million_mixed-use_developme.html

$35 million mixed-use development proposed for Midtown Cleveland site

By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer February 22, 2010, 3:44PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Architect and real estate investor Richard Bowen hopes to build medical offices, homes, stores and restaurants on former industrial property in Cleveland's Midtown neighborhood.

Through Shaker Associates LLC, Bowen has signed an agreement to buy 1.78 acres just south of Chester Avenue, near the Dunham Tavern Museum. The city of Cleveland is seeking a state grant of more than $190,000 to cover an environmental analysis of the site, which has been used for welding, auto repair and a range of manufacturing.

Bowen, president and owner of Richard L. Bowen + Associates of Cleveland, envisions a $35 million project on the property. The development could include a 70,000-square-foot medical office building, 150 homes for seniors, 14,000 square feet of retail and two restaurants. According to the state grant application, the project would produce 245 jobs and $1.3 million in annual property tax revenues for Cleveland.

I already did it for him to keep us out of legal hot water. Thanks!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

I already did it for him to keep us out of legal hot water. Thanks!

No problem. I was going to edit it for him but I think my editing powers are only good in the To Be Cleaned thread.!

It looks like this is going to be the vacant land on the south side of Chester between E. 65th and 66th.  It is where the giant sculpture "The Politician: A Toy" used to be located.

Cleveland partners unveil plans for a Health-Tech Corridor along Euclid Avenue

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/04/cleveland_partners_unveil_plan.html

Intersting info in the article:

"Evidence of demand is the Euclid Tech Center, a $25 million, 150,000-square-foot project to be built speculatively, without tenants in hand, at Euclid and East 69th Street."

Just wanted to add something to this thread... Euclid between E. 55th and the E. 70s seems to be almost completely cleared on the north side of the street.  I'm hoping to see some type of renderings or plans for the area within the near future.  An updated plan for the district would be better... anyone have any clues about what's going on?

Cleveland's abandoned Warner & Swasey complex could become a tech center

By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer

May 27, 2010, 5:34PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A local developer could revive the former Warner & Swasey Co. facility, a dilapidated and boarded-up complex that looms over East 55th Street and Carnegie Avenue.

The city of Cleveland, which owns the property, is working on a deal with Hemingway Development and HzW Environmental Consultants LLC. Hemingway, a division of the Geis Cos. of Streetsboro, wants to restore the 130-year-old buildings for offices, labs and warehousing or manufacturing space -- uses that fit with an effort to brand and promote the Midtown area of Cleveland as a health and technology corridor....

more at:

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/05/clevelands_abandoned_warner_sw.html

Absolutely. This would be phenomenal news if they get this project going. It is an important intersection and a key gateway out of downtown.

This is particuarly exciting seeing as I was at a seminar of sorts 2-3 months back and actually heard Tracy Nichols say, "Now that the Howard Johnson building is down, my number 1 priority for the next year is to demolish the Warner Swasey building".

Wow.  Awesome.  Count me as surprised though.  Seems like Geis is getting a bit bullish on Midtown.  This is their second planned development in the area.

This is particuarly exciting seeing as I was at a seminar of sorts 2-3 months back and actually heard Tracy Nichols say, "Now that the Howard Johnson building is down, my number 1 priority for the next year is to demolish the Warner Swasey building".

What?  That's insane.  This is one of my favorite buildings in town, different from the HoJo building in every imaginable way.

"The project also would include parking in an area now occupied by a building with a sawtoothed roof."

I wondered if this meant the demolition of the sawtoothed building...., similar to the reasoning at Tyler Village.  Although they could have indoor parking in these buildings.   

Another "warehouse to tech center" conversion.  Call me a cynic, but I'll believe it when it's done.

How lovely it is when our top econonomic development priorities are the demolition of beautiful buildings.

Also from the article about redeveloping the Warner & Swasey building:

Geis, his brother Greg and the Coyne family also hope to build a technology center at Euclid Avenue and East 69th Street, in the heart of the Cleveland Health-Tech Corridor. The partners shared updated drawings of that project with city design officials last week.

Would love to see/hear about those drawings to see how that design is coming along.  And the hospital too.

These are the people running this city.  Unbelievable.  Not surprising commentary from someone that's an accountant and is running an important urban economic agency.  Shouldn't these people have some sort of background in urban planning, or at the very least, some common sense?

From Plain Dealer reporter Michelle Jarboe:

Re: Willyboy's question about the section of the complex with the saw-tooth roof, Fred Geis told me that he just wants to replace the roof and use that portion of the facility for covered parking. He is hoping that Hemingway won't need to tear any part of the building down, though the city's request for proposals to redevelop the property allowed developers to do anything from demolishing the entire complex to saving and renovating the whole thing.

Tracey Nichols at the city told me that the RFP review panel considered proposals from two developers. The other developer, whose proposal was rejected, wanted to demolish the buildings.

It's interesting that you mentioned Tyler Village. I think Hemingway is looking at Tyler Village as a model for what they might be able to do with this property.

Michelle

Yes you have!  But we also have one right around the corner that just got demolished after years of languishing, and one Downtown that doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast.  Maybe part of the key is that you guys aren't as focused on one type of tenant?

probably part of it. We also don't take a giant front end risk, building it out as we get tenants in. More expensive dollar for dollar, but less front end risk.

I'm pretty sure Fred Geis can get this done, though. He's the right developer for MidTown in general and this building in particular.

Anyone have a pic of it?   I cant remember it

thanks

If your talking about the Warner & Swasey building, theres a picture of it in the story upthread in post 456.

Midtown project attempt to 'resettle' city

Without committed tenants, Geis' planned $20M Euclid Tech Center will require unique financing

By STAN BULLARD

4:30 am, June 21, 2010

Fred Geis sees his group's effort to develop a $20 million office/ warehouse building in Cleveland's Midtown neighborhood oriented to medical and tech tenants as more than a real estate development.

Indeed, Mr. Geis, one of two brothers running the Streetsboro-based Geis Cos., describes the project as part of his personal mission to “resettle Cleveland.”

Meanwhile, the city of Cleveland is trying a novel tack to get the proposed Euclid Tech Center financed. Even before the credit crunch, lenders were reluctant to fund a project such as the one Mr. Geis is proposing. He wants to build the project on a speculative basis, without tenants committed to it before the project wins crucial development loans.

The city's financing strategy stems from using a $10.7 million U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Section 108 Loan as the first mortgage, essentially, for the project. Cleveland City Council on June 7 approved the loan application and a $250,000 grant from the city's Vacant Property Initiative.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20100621/SUB1/306219993