Sign in to follow this  
Guest seicer

Gay / Transgender Rights

‘Invisible And Overlooked’

A growing population of lesbian and gay senior citizens seeks recognition for their unique needs and challenges.

By Jessica Bennett | Newsweek Web Exclusive

Sep 18, 2008

Bob McCoy is a youthful, active 78-year-old. He sings in his church choir, takes a weekly computer class, and regularly attends social gatherings organized by a gay senior citizens group in Brooklyn, N.Y., where he lives. But McCoy worries about a day when he can no longer care for himself: he has no close family, no partner, and he's outlived most of his friends. "I'm used to having friends I can call up and say, 'Let's go to [a movie],'" he says. "But now there's nobody to call."

Continued...

Well I can understand why a pro-GLBT organization would say 10%, if you're a larger group, your orientation is more common and makes being gay look not so deviant to some policy-makers. It shouldn't matter if its 1% or 10% though, equal rights should be given to everyone.

Studies are funded by special interest groups, whether they're pro-Christianity or a group like Equality Ohio. The bi-sexual factor could definitely skew things since it all depends on how you define bisexuality. This girl I know said her boyfriend had sex with a dude once; many people would call that being bisexual, but to others, bi-sexual means you would be willing to have a relationship with either gender, so you can see how it could yield very different percentages depending on the study. 

In unrelated news, Clay Gayken just came out of the closet, and apparently Lindsay Lohan did. You know, the media wouldn't have given him a hard time at all if he just told the truth the first time he was asked.

In unrelated news, Clay Gayken just came out of the closet, and apparently Lindsay Lohan did. You know, the media wouldn't have given him a hard time at all if he just told the truth the first time he was asked.

Did they really need to ask? lol. It amazes me that some of his fans are actually shocked by his 'coming out'. Oh, and Lindsey didn't really need to come out because she didn't hide her relationship. All she did was just confirm it with words.

Oh, and that source along with many others (including one from the Kinsey Center) all agree on a 7-10% figure. However, you are right; it doesn't matter either way and many studies have a certain agenda. The senior GLBT population needs help and I find it encouraging that the AARP is getting involved.

Gay is a choice?

Not that again. Palin's view ignores the fact that, as in religion, the attraction is undeniable. And heeding such calls is the essence of freedom.

By Nathaniel Frank

October 8, 2008

So one of Gov. Sarah Palin's best friends is gay. Her pal "happens to have made a choice that isn't a choice that I have made," Palin told Katie Couric last week. That language resurfaced in the vice presidential debate, when Palin insisted that she was "tolerant" of Americans "choosing relationships that they deem best for themselves."

‘Ex-gays’ sue DC human rights office

By 365gay Newscenter Staff

10.14.2008 1:22pm EDT

(Washington) A national organization that claims homosexuality is a matter of choice and that gays can be “cured” has filed a lawsuit against the Washington DC Office of Human Rights, accusing it of failing to protect “ex-gays.”

“Shouldn’t ex-gays enjoy the same legal protections that gays enjoy?” asked Griggs in the statement.

If they are "ex-gays", then wouldn't that make them straight? So, they wouldn't need protection, right?

Wow. And I thought that this newspaper was a bit more liberally based, coming out of Danville, Kentucky, home to Centre College. Part 1 of 2...

Garrard woman says faith helped her turn from a gay lifestyle

By Herb Brock, Advocate-Messenger, October 26, 2008

Lois Delong is like a lot of Christians when it comes to her opinion about people who lead a gay lifestyle.

"In God's eyes, homosexual activity is a sin," said the 47-year-old Garrard County resident.

Also like a lot of Christians, Delong believes that God treats homosexual behavior like any other sin.

"It can be forgiven," she said. "All of us sin and fall short of the lord."

But Delong is not like most Christians when she offers her opinions on homosexual behavior as a sin and the forgiveness of it. Her views aren't detached pronouncements based just on biblical citations or preachers' sermons. They're founded on real-life experience.

Part 2 of 2...

Ministry reaches out to people living gay lifestyle

By Herb Brock, Advocate Messenger, October 27, 2008

Editor's Note: This is the second of a two-part series that looks at gay-to-straight conversion. On Sunday, Lois Delong talked about her transformation by her faith from a gay to a straight lifestyle.

Christian ministries aimed at helping gays become straight seem to have sprouted across the country in recent years, but such ministries are not new.

In fact, a Danville minister was on the ground floor of the movement in Kentucky more than two decades ago.

The Rev. Tom Lane, pastor of Cornerstone Assembly of God, was a founding board member of Crossover Inc., a ministry to gay Christians whose current director is parishioner Lois Delong.

"A guy I had discipled during my ministry in Lexington began that ministry more than 20 years ago, and it has been ministering to and helping gay people ever since," Lane said.

"It's been an invaluable source of guidance, support and love for gay men and women struggling with their sexuality and seeking to leave the gay lifestyle through the body of Christ, but it's also for people coping with other issues, such as sexual abuse and sexual addiction," he said.

Part 2 of 2...

Ministry reaches out to people living gay lifestyle

By Herb Brock, Advocate Messenger, October 27, 2008

Editor's Note: This is the second of a two-part series that looks at gay-to-straight conversion. On Sunday, Lois Delong talked about her transformation by her faith from a gay to a straight lifestyle.

Christian ministries aimed at helping gays become straight seem to have sprouted across the country in recent years, but such ministries are not new.

In fact, a Danville minister was on the ground floor of the movement in Kentucky more than two decades ago.

The Rev. Tom Lane, pastor of Cornerstone Assembly of God, was a founding board member of Crossover Inc., a ministry to gay Christians whose current director is parishioner Lois Delong.

"A guy I had discipled during my ministry in Lexington began that ministry more than 20 years ago, and it has been ministering to and helping gay people ever since," Lane said.

"It's been an invaluable source of guidance, support and love for gay men and women struggling with their sexuality and seeking to leave the gay lifestyle through the body of Christ, but it's also for people coping with other issues, such as sexual abuse and sexual addiction," he said.

I wish these people would mind their own F&*king busniss and just let people live their lives in peace!

So corporations are now giving in to hate groups? People in positions of prominence are using that platform to expouse hate? In 2008?

We're going the wrong way.

I wish these people would mind their own F&*king busniss and just let people live their lives in peace!

Those people are insecure about their own identity and probably use that as an outlet to prove something for themselves.

Maybe these people should read their Bibles and see what their "god" has to say about love. After that, maybe they can actually examine the Bible and see if it ever mentions homosexuality (but to do that they would have to have a Bible written/published before 1950). Then they could look at Ezekiel 16:49 and see what the real sins of Sodom are.

Some news out of Ohio

Columbus urges Ohio to pass gay anti-discrimination bill

By 365gay Newscenter Staff

10.29.2008 12:25pm EDT

(Columbus, Ohio) Columbus city council has passed a motion urging the Ohio legislature to pass a bill that would ban discrimination against gays, lesbians and trans people.

Here's the article^^^  Congrats to homophobes everywhere

California set to pass Prop 8 ban on gay marriage

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Two U.S. states rejected proposals to limit abortion rights while others said no to gay marriage, in a mixed message over contentious social issues as Americans elected their first black president.

Results of votes on more than 150 proposed state measures across the country showed a more complex cultural map than Tuesday's historic election of Democrat Barack Obama might indicate.

In California, same-sex couples were poised to lose the right to marry, while Florida and Arizona voted to ban gay marriage outright, joining dozens of other states that define marriage as only between a man and a woman.

(Reporting by Peter Henderson and Alexandria Sage; Editing by John O'Callaghan)

http://www.reuters.com/

I think we've reached the limits of gay rights.  I think we might see Federal anti-discrimination law, but marriage, or even domestic partnership, will be limited to a handful of states, or it could be rolled back eslewhere now that it has been defeated in California.

I actually think that pushing toward marriage was the big mistake. Civil Unions/domestic partnerships will get much broader support than marriage.

I'm disappointed about Prop 8.  I also don't believe gay marriage is out of the question for the future, it's just that it's in the future, not now.  A black (or even half) President would have never been possible some generations ago.  We do make progress and we do change in this country, it just takes longer than many of us would like.  I hope this is something that's legalized in my lifetime.

I'm disappointed about Prop 8.  I also don't believe gay marriage is out of the question for the future, it's just that it's in the future, not now.  A black (or even half) President would have never been possible some generations ago.  We do make progress and we do change in this country, it just takes longer than many of us would like.  I hope this is something that's legalized in my lifetime.

You and me both sistah!

Well, it's certainly not MY POV but as I understand it, it's based in religion.  Yet another reason I'm not religious.  Uber-religious people believe that it says in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin and that marriage is between a man and a woman.  Since they base their lives on the Bible and what they "interpret" it to mean, they think it's an abomination against God for homosexuals to even be together, let alone "letting" them marry, which would probably bring a plague of locusts or something.  I don't really understand that type of thinking, I don't let a book, any book, dictate what I think or how I live so it's not something I can relate to.

FWIW, it's argument from 'natural' reproduction as the core function of human sexuality and marriage being institution to manage the issues related to that part of our animal nature.

Religion is not even a good argument for a ban on gay marriage. Not all Christians interpret the Bible in the same way(check out the Emanuel Fellowship Church in Akron). Not to mention the Bible should not be trusted 100%. Although it may be god "ordained" it still falls victim to human error. Oh, and see the quote below.

Maybe these people should read their Bibles and see what their "god" has to say about love. After that, maybe they can actually examine the Bible and see if it ever mentions homosexuality (but to do that they would have to have a Bible written/published before 1950). Then they could look at Ezekiel 16:49 and see what the real sins of Sodom are.

For some reason this vote weighs heavily on me, more so than the Ohio amendment of 2004.

Exactly.  We pays our share of taxes, generally live in the city center, are better educated, more community involved, spending more disposable income compared to our straight counterparts, yet we can't get married or have no legal rights when it comes to the health and well being of our partners and children.

I'm guessing because CA isn't as liberal as it's thought to be.

Parts of CA, especially between LA and SF (bakersfield, Modesto, Fresno, etc.) and along the Nevada/CA border are extremely conservative.  Just as conservative as SE Ohio.  Surprisingly, some counties near SF are super homophobic.

For some reason this vote weighs heavily on me, more so than the Ohio amendment of 2004.

Exactly.  We pays our share of taxes, generally live in the city center, are better educated, more community involved, spending more disposable income compared to our straight counterparts, yet we can't get married or have no legal rights when it comes to the health and well being of our partners and children.

It is just so depressing. I love this country/state, but why should I contribute to it when I am treated as a second class citizen?

It is just so depressing. I love this country/state, but why should I contribute to it when I am treated as a second class citizen?

De ja vu.  Although we are basking in the glory of an Obama win, remember Martin Luther, Malcolm X, Rosa Parks all said, we shall overcome.

I've felt the same way for years.  And being black/Latin and gay adds an additional layer of issues. 

Having lived in California the better part of 30 years I can tell you that the so called liberalism is quite a thin veneer.  And although a state of majority minorities, most new citizens are conservative in the extreme.  The cities are quite liberal but go five miles out of an urban core and you may as well be in Alabama. 

Plus, certain ethnic groups are quite homophobic. Homosexuality is not even mentioned in many Asian cultures.  Don't even get me started on the Central Valley people.....no matter what group they belong to they hate everyone.  And there is a whole group of Ukranians in Sacramento who go around terrorizing because they think they have been called by God to kill all homosexuals!!! It is part of their weird cult religion.

Welcome to Lotus Land.

That being said, we just have to dust off and start again.

Gay marriage supporters take to California streets

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Protests continued Friday in several California cities, including San Francisco, Palm Springs and Long Beach, over the passage of Proposition 8, which outlaws same-sex marriage.

The ballot initiative, which passed 52.5 percent to 47.5 percent Tuesday, overturns a May ruling by the California Supreme Court that struck down a 2000 ban on same-sex unions.

In San Francisco, an estimated 2,000 protesters marched down Market Street toward Dolores Park. The march stretched out for at least three city blocks, and the protesters completely blocked Market Street's westbound lanes and the eastbound lanes in places.

http://www.cnn.com/

The problem with this article is the person is a "cross dresser" not "transgendered"

Oregon town elects nation's first transgender mayor 

Published: Nov 8, 2008 at 12:49 PM PST

Story Updated: Nov 8, 2008 at 1:19 PM PST 

By Associated Press Watch the story

SILVERTON, Ore. (AP) - Plenty of politicians reinvent themselves. But none quite like Mayor-elect Stu Rasmussen.

Rasmussen, 60, has been a fixture in Silverton politics for more than 20 years, and had twice before been the mayor of this small city 45 miles south of Portland. Those terms, however, were before the breast implants and before the once-discreet crossdresser started wearing dresses and 3-inch high heels in public. 

In a week when America loudly chose its first African-American president, Silverton quietly made Rasmussen the country's first openly transgender mayor, according to the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, a group that works to help openly lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people win elected office.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/34147009.html

I don't know - if he had breast implants it sounds like he is on the transgender journey to me.  But then later in the article he says he's hetero.  "Appears to be female" is weird to me.  "dresses like a female" would mean CD to me, but his wording is confusing.