Sign in to follow this  
Guest seicer

Gay / Transgender Rights

This line of thought is just really odd.  Like the political elite of the south were forcing segregation and bigotry upon the electorate?  Or, that if it weren't for all those angry marching Negros they'd have been able to pass those rights for them?  Anything that Christie says on this issue that isn't admitting he just doesn't want to get caught with the hot potato is BS.  I don't for a second believe he actually thinks he is being magnanimous here.

Chris Christie Continues To Defend Comment Linking Gay Marriage Referendum To Civil Rights

The Huffington Post  |  Luke Johnson

Posted: 1/30/12 05:18 PM ET

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie ® is still clarifying a comment he made last Tuesday linking a possible gay marriage referendum in the state to the civil rights movement.

"The fact of the matter is, I think people would have been happy to have a referendum on civil rights rather than fighting and dying in the streets in the South," he said last Tuesday. Christie favors a ballot referendum for gay marriage, while Democratic leaders in the Assembly and Senate have pledged to pass a gay marriage bill.

"The political climate in the South didn't give them the option to have a referendum back then," he said Monday at a press conference in the statehouse, according to the Newark Star-Ledger. "They wished they would have had the option, but the political climate did not permit it, meaning they would not win."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/30/chris-christie-gay-marriage-civil-rights_n_1242515.html

Gone viral...Cleveland Police

Lawsuit Claims Men Were Beaten, Humiliated Because They Were Gay

http://fox8.com/2012/01/30/lawsuit-claims-men-were-beaten-humiliated-because-they-were-gay/

CLEVELAND — Two gay men have filed a federal lawsuit against several officers from the Cleveland Police Department stemming from an arrest last April.

The men claim they were subjected to derogatory name-calling and then hauled off to jail in their underwear, despite repeated requests to change clothes.

One Million Moms to JC Penney: fire Ellen, she's gay

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - One Million Moms -- a project of the American Family Association -- is very angry at JC Penney.

"Funny that JC Penney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families," the million (or so) moms write on their website. "DeGeneres is not a true representation of the type of families that shop at their store. The majority of JC Penney shoppers will be offended and choose to no longer shop there."

The moms want JC Penney "to replace Ellen DeGeneres as their new spokesperson immediately and remain neutral in the culture war."

http://news.yahoo.com/one-million-moms-jc-penney-fire-ellen-shes-173429894.html

I must say...... it is becoming real enjoyable watching these folks increasinbly losing this, as they put it, 'culture war'

http://fox8.com/2012/01/30/lawsuit-claims-men-were-beaten-humiliated-because-they-were-gay/

CLEVELAND — Two gay men have filed a federal lawsuit against several officers from the Cleveland Police Department stemming from an arrest last April.

The men claim they were subjected to derogatory name-calling and then hauled off to jail in their underwear, despite repeated requests to change clothes.

Holy sh!t!!

Gay marriage foes to fight expected Washington state law

SEATTLE (Reuters) - As gay couples and their supporters cheered the Washington state Senate's unexpectedly swift and decisive passage of a same-sex marriage bill, opponents were already considering how to take down the anticipated law.

By a 28-21 vote on Wednesday night, the state Senate passed legislation to legalize gay marriage with exemptions for religious organizations opposed to conducting same-sex weddings or renting their facilities for gay nuptials.

Four Republicans joined 24 Democrats in supporting the bill, which would make Washington the seventh state to recognize same-sex matrimony. Three Democrats sided with 18 Republicans in opposing it.

The measure now heads to the state House of Representatives, where Democrats hold an even wider majority and the bill's passage by a comfortable margin is expected as early as next week.

Governor Chris Gregoire, a Democrat, has said she would sign a gay marriage bill into law.

With the bill seemingly headed for swift enactment, several parallel efforts by opponents are shaping up to rally Washington voters against the prospective law. Their options included two possible ballot measures in November -- a referendum to repeal the gay marriage statute outright and an initiative defining marriage as being exclusively between one man and one woman.

The National Organization for Marriage, which opposes same sex marriage, also has pledged to provide financial backing for conservative challengers to the four Republican senators who supported the bill when they run for reelection.

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-marriage-foes-fight-expected-washington-state-law-025910234.html

CLEVELAND Two gay men have filed a federal lawsuit against several officers from the Cleveland Police Department stemming from an arrest last April.

Although I don't doubt they were not treated the way CPD's SOPs require..... I have some trouble believing their version of the events, particularly their initial encounter with the off-duty cop.  Just a gut feeling at this point.  One thing I will tell you is that Barbara Langhenry will make sure this is thoroughly investigated internally and will not give the cops the benefit of the doubt on this one.  Triozzi might have, but not her.

The physical abuse and sequence of events is surprising.  A few law enforcement officers being openly bigoted instead of just privately, not so much.

Also, you have to just ignore things like getting a little scrapped up and bloodied during a late night arrest on a sidewalk.  It's not completely excusable but those things happen.  Also, I wouldn't buy into that the cops specifically refused to let them put pants on because they are gay.  That's just some posturing BS on the cop's part (who is obviously a bigoted idiot).

9 times out of 10 when these situations get out of control like this it is because one of the guys took a swing (or made even a more aggresive move) on the cop.  If they admit they shoved the cop, it was in all likelihood more than that.  You are only hearing one side of ths story with this media report.  I'm just throwing that out there.  I have no idea what's what on this one.

A huge strike against 'mob rule'.....

Calif. same-sex marriage ban violates Constitution, appeals court finds

San Francisco (CNN) -- California's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage violates the U.S. Constitution, a federal appeals court in San Francisco ruled Tuesday.

The 2-1 decision found the ban -- known as Proposition 8 -- "served no purpose, and had no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in California, and to officially reclassify their relationship and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples." That violates the 14th Amendment's guarantee of equal protection under the law, the decision states.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/07/justice/california-proposition-8/index.html

Mayors for the Freedom to Marry

"In affirmation of the critical role that cities and their mayors have played in advancing civil rights and equal treatment for all Americans, we are proud to be chairs of Mayors for the Freedom to Marry. Mayors for the Freedom to Marry is a broad-based and nonpartisan group of mayors who believe that all people should be able to share in the love and commitment of marriage."

Includes a "statement" letter to send to your Mayor if they are not on the list.

Full list:

http://www.freedomtomarry.org/pages/mayors-for-the-freedom-to-marry

Ohio Mayors:

David Berger - Lima, OH

Michael Coleman - Columbus, OH

Edward Kelly - Cleveland Heights, OH

New added:

Sara Drew - Stow, OH

Mark Mallory - Cincinnati, OH

Gary Norton - East Cleveland, OH

Frank Jackson - Cleveland, OH

Don Plusquellic - Akron OH

Mike Summers - Lakewood, OH

A huge strike against 'mob rule'.....

Calif. same-sex marriage ban violates Constitution, appeals court finds

San Francisco (CNN) -- California's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage violates the U.S. Constitution, a federal appeals court in San Francisco ruled Tuesday.

The 2-1 decision found the ban -- known as Proposition 8 -- "served no purpose, and had no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in California, and to officially reclassify their relationship and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples." That violates the 14th Amendment's guarantee of equal protection under the law, the decision states.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/07/justice/california-proposition-8/index.html

Glad to see this.  Strange that I find this decision to be obvious, but that it took until now for it to happen (and that the vote was 2-1 and not 3-0).

Glad to see Norton is not scared of the potential political consequences of that choice in EC.

I have a ton of respect for Norton and this just furthers that.  I don't see this having far-reaching consequences for him, especially if he keeps doing what he's doing for EC.

Washington's governor signed same sex marriage into law today. New Jersey's State Senate passed a same sex marriage bill today which is expected to be passed by the state assembly on Thursday, then vetoed by governor Chris Christie.

Too bad about New Jersey.  But great news re Washington State!  Seems NJ would have had this if they had a Dem governor. 

Is the GOP so totally locked-in to the antigay platform that they cant move on this issue? 

Arrghhh I had forgotten the whole Christie thing until I came back in here just now. D: I want to say nasty things about him but I will refrain.

What I came here for was to say Councilman Seelbach came through on his promise to get domestic partner benefits for Cincinnati city employees. Finally voted on and passed 8-1. (Charlie Winburn was the 1 against...as anyone familiar with the current council would have guessed.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17914504

Better late than never! Now ... to undo that state marriage ban...

It will be interesting to see if North Carolina in 2012 is more progressive than Ohio in 2004.

^Great to hear.  Sounds like Cincy's city council had an easier time getting it through than Cleveland's in 2008.  Our registry was set for smooth sailing until the day of the vote when it almost failed due to pressure from the black clergy.  Hypocrites.

Times are changing rapidly.  With that said, I would be shocked if NC was the first state to defeat an anti gay marriage amendment at the polls.  To be clear, the proposed amendment does not 'legalize' gay marriage.  It is designed to prevent the judiciary from finding the state's already existing ban invalid under the state constitutiton.  But it also goes too far and that might be its downfall.  The wording is so broad and far reaching that it will likely have the effect of invalidating local laws within that state similar to the one Cincy just passed.

The one dissenter, Charlie Winburn, is a black clergyman himself.

I know what the NC Amendment is, basically. It sounds a lot like the Ohio Amendment, which that @sshat from Sharonville is talking about using to fight the domestic partner benefits law. Maybe it wouldn't exactly be "progressive" of NC to defeat it, but in a relative sense it sort of would be.

If the Sharonville guy (it's not worth looking up his or his organization's name, lol) were to successfully fight the domestic partner benefits, and the laws in the three C's were all struck down, it just might create enough outrage to get rid of that damned Amendment once and for all. 2013 is a different world than 2004, and people are less ignorant about the issues involved and how families are affected. Striking down laws intended only to provide benefits to families would not sit right with a lot of people, even many of those opposed to marriage equality.

The Dayton city commission passed a DP registration ordnance last Wedsday...i actually got up and spoke for it.  There was no anti-speakers, and it passed unanimously....

....sort of anti-climatic, actually.  I think there was a lot of behind the scenes action on this for this to move so smoothly...

So the answer is NC 2012 is no more tolerant than OH 2004. Or maybe 1% more tolerant since their Amendment passed with 61% of the vote, ours with 62%.

I would say less tolerant considering that the issue really wasn't at the forefront in 2004.  It was more of a collateral issue people hadn't given much thought to at that time.  Plus, the ballot language was worded poorly since it seemed at first glance to be targeting polygamists, not gays.  Gay, lesbian, same-sex, etc..... none of that language appeared on the ballot.  In NC, given the national attention and the fact that everyone now recognizes "one man, one woman" language as specifically targeting gays, there was no confusion.  Everyone knew what the issue was about and what they were voting for.

Between North Carolina and Colorado, two of the somewhat more popular states for the younger generations, it's surprising to see how much sway the why-won't-you-wackos-just-jump-off-a-bridge-already homophobic, prejudicial, bigoted, and STUPID STUPID STUPID crowd still has.

Cross posted in the Obama Presidency Thread

Obama declares support for gay marriage

Obama:

I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married

http://gma.yahoo.com/obama-announces-his-support-for-same-sex-marriage.html

ABOUT DAMN TIME!!

But he still thinks it is a state issue  :-(

Question to those who believe it is a states rights issue....... could the State of Ohio ban marriage entirely?  I mean.... if it is the prerogative of each state to recognize or not recognize a certain type of marriage, then isn't it the state's right to also not recognize marriage at all?

I liked how he called it the "Defense Against Marriage Act".

I can't get excited about this since his non-support always rang hollow, especially after stating support as long ago as 1996. I'm still annoyed that he waited until now to speak up. I guess I don't know how to feel about it. I mean, I wanted him to say it. Yet it is underwhelming that he waited until the start of the campaign for his second term to make the statement.

For someone I generally respect to play politics with an issue so important and personal for me feels icky and condescending. At least I won't have to hear some BS about "evolving" anymore. Finally. And it obviously it beats the alternative.

This issue offers insight into what it must feel like to be a Romney supporter: to have to contend with this "icky" feeling and condescension on each and every issue! What a nightmare that must be.

But he still thinks it is a state issue  :-(

A states rights position? That just proves the President is a closet racist!!!!

^Closet?  I thought we confirmed long ago that he hates whites and christians?  We thought he hates gays, but apparently not so much.....

Here is a poll from CNN that includes gay marriage.

Breakouts are interesting...the overwhelming support (60%!) in the West for this.  And there is more suburban (57%) support than urban (53%).

I liked how he called it the "Defense Against Marriage Act".

I can't get excited about this since his non-support always rang hollow, especially after stating support as long ago as 1996. I'm still annoyed that he waited until now to speak up. I guess I don't know how to feel about it. I mean, I wanted him to say it. Yet it is underwhelming that he waited until the start of the campaign for his second term to make the statement.

For someone I generally respect to play politics with an issue so important and personal for me feels icky and condescending. At least I won't have to hear some BS about "evolving" anymore. Finally. And it obviously it beats the alternative.

This issue offers insight into what it must feel like to be a Romney supporter: to have to contend with this "icky" feeling and condescension on each and every issue! What a nightmare that must be.

Kind of my view.  I mean, great that Obama came out in support of gay marriage!  Now only if there was someone that supported gay marriage who had the power to do something about it.

Oh, wait...

Now only if there was someone that supported gay marriage who had the power to do something about it.

Oh, wait...

Huh?  Are you suggesting there is "someone" with such power.

The only unilateral action I have seen one way or the other is Christie's veto in NJ.