Guest The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: Downtown: Smale Riverfront Park

Family makes significant donation to Smale Riverfront Park

Chris Wetterich Staff reporter- Cincinnati Business Courier

The Oliver Family Foundation has given the Cincinnati Parks Foundation $1 million for the endowment of Smale Riverfront Park.

The endowment will be used to maintain the 45-acre park in the future.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/morning_call/2014/01/family-makes-significant-donation-to.html

Family makes significant donation to Smale Riverfront Park

Chris Wetterich Staff reporter- Cincinnati Business Courier

The Oliver Family Foundation has given the Cincinnati Parks Foundation $1 million for the endowment of Smale Riverfront Park.

The endowment will be used to maintain the 45-acre park in the future.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/morning_call/2014/01/family-makes-significant-donation-to.html

Glad to see that donors are putting money towards the long-term maintenance of the park, not just paying to put their name on a new playground, carousel, etc.

Whoever is in charge of fundraising for this park is doing a fantastic job.  I can't remember another project in the area getting support from such a wide net of donors.  Most of the major corporations have donated, and individual family foundations seem to be coming out of the woodwork to support this project.

Whoever is in charge of fundraising for this park is doing a fantastic job.  I can't remember another project in the area getting support from such a wide net of donors.  Most of the major corporations have donated, and individual family foundations seem to be coming out of the woodwork to support this project.

Absolutely! It's really great, and illustrates one of the enormous advantages Cincinnati has over most peer cities. Gotta be some advantage to having all those Fortune HQ's, eh?

Sweet!

Smale Riverfront Park gets millions in federal funding

Erin Caproni Digital Producer- Cincinnati Business Courier

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) allocated $4.5 million to be used at Smale Riverfront Park, Sen. Sherrod Brown announced Wednesday.

The funding will be used to control erosion and prevent flooding of Cincinnati’s new riverfront park. It’s part of the fiscal year 2014 work plan.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2014/03/05/smale-riverfront-park-gets-millions-in.html

I would rather have a Ferris wheel (I'm more about views, less about old timey rides), but I'm sure this will be very well done. Still I'm excited about this and I think it will help the park be more of a destination, and not just a connector between two stadiums. Right now it seems like people come for other reasons to the riverfront, and look at the park while theyre there. But soon people (especially people with children) will be coming to the riverfront specifically for this park.

I saw today that they appear to be tearing up the reasonably big surface parking lot south of Mehring Way and immediately west of the Roebling Bridge (as opposed to the huge surface lot north of Mehring Way and west of Roebling). I hope that this means that parking lot is going away for good. Any time you see urban surface parking lots being replaced, especially in a prime location like this, is a great thing.

From WVXU:

Cincinnati Council is expected to vote Wednesday [March 26] to issue $8 million worth of bonds to finish another portion of Smale Riverfront Park.  That borrowing likely will mean city homeowners will not see a decrease in a portion of their city property taxes.

The $8 million will finish the majority of the west side of Smale Park from the Roebling Bridge to Elm Street and south of Mehring Way. 

City officials want that work completed before next year's Major League Baseball All Star Game.  A city memo said “the park is the front yard to the stadium and will be the location of many of the MLB required pre-events.  In addition, the area will be featured on national television during all the events.”

http://wvxu.org/post/borrowing-money-smale-park-will-likely-mean-no-property-tax-decrease

One day we will stand at the western edge of the park and wonder why there's such a big parking lot across the street.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

This is actually good news in the long run!

Smale Park playground opening delayed 1 year       

Erin CaproniDigital Producer- Cincinnati Business Courier

The opening of the Heekin/PNC Grow Up Great Adventure Playground won’t be this spring, when it was originally scheduled. In fact, it won’t even be this year. But the reason for the delay might not be what you would think: The project just received more funding.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers recently allocated $4.5 million to be used at the park, which represents an end to the pause in federal funding that began in 2011. The funding will be used to pay for desired elements of the playscape that couldn’t be completed with funding from the city, gifts from private donors and previous federal grants.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2014/03/27/smale-park-playground-opening-delayed-1-year.html

That's great to hear. The quality of this park continues to impress me every time I'm down there. It's such a huge asset for this city. And with each new element built it just keeps improving. I'm really looking forward to when my niece who is about to turn three comes down and I can take her to the playground next year.

Am I the only one that gets nerdily excited when those videos are posted? I love the music and how it has never changed. Also great news about the funding I'm glad this park is more concerned with long term quality than quickness, that's rare around here and much appreciated.

Am I the only one that gets nerdily excited when those videos are posted?

Nope.

I love the music and how it has never changed.

Me, too. Takes me back to 1991 or thereabouts.

I agree that long term quality is much more important than short term 'finished' product, but it is slightly disappointing that there won't be any new features revealed for this summer.  It seems strange that very little has been done on the area between the bridge and the part of the park that is already open. They had stonework done for the little half circle/amphitheater thing last year.  Those of us who are in the know realize that long term we are going to be better off, but to the casual visitor, or maybe out of town visitor who comes to town for a Reds game, it will look like nothing really has happened since they were there last.  It'd be nice if they even had a small new area to unveil for this summer.

Although it would be nice to have something new this summer the amount of obvious construction work on the playground and the upper portion west of the bridge make it pretty clear that ongoing construction is happening. I think the park also gets enough press, basically all good, that the average Cincinnatian knows good things are happening. At least I hope. Maybe I'm being a little too optimistic.

This park is so cool.  I just wish the Banks wasn't such a cheap and lousy design.  I wish 3CDC was the developer and not Carter Dawson.

3CDC was the developer and they didn't get it done.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

I don't have all the details to form the full timeline but initially the Port was charged with developing the site, then the Port partnered with 3CDC.

Then they selected Corporex to do the development portion of the project.

That fell through some time around 2005/2006. Afterwards the Banks Working Group was organized. They selected Carter/Dawson after a national search. The master development agreement was approved and then work finally started around 2008/2009.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

I don't have all the details to form the full timeline but initially the Port was charged with developing the site, then the Port partnered with 3CDC.

Then they selected Corporex to do the development portion of the project.

That fell through some time around 2005/2006. Afterwards the Banks Working Group was organized. They selected Carter/Dawson after a national search. The master development agreement was approved and then work finally started around 2008/2009.

Can we do another national search and bring in a better developer for future phases?

Wow, fantastic shots, Eridony!

Some of the best shots of completed sections I have seen, and great construction shots depicting context. You actually make the construction look pretty! Can't wait to see more of your work around the city.

I am a bit surprised by the presence of a single street light in the center of the roundabout. Although I understand that design guidance states that the center island should be devoid of prominent features, I have never seen this sort of lighting application, and I am a traffic engineer in roundabout-happy Maryland. I am a bit surprised there are no low profile landscaping features around the roundabout. It looks sort of naked, for being a gateway into the city.

Sorry to stir up an old topic, but I was at the park yesterday and the stupid light in the middle of the roundabout still REALLY bothers me.

Here's a simple fix that would cost practically nothing and take no more than 12 hours of workers pay to install.  Order an extra light fixture from the Smale Riverfront Park construction crew and put it in the middle of the roundabout.  Simple, easy, matches its surroundings, and is FAR more of a gateway to the city than that lamp they have there now.

Current roundabout:

E041AFAE-FDAE-4A8F-B491-46D4F15EF409.jpg

Light pole in Smale Park:

87676D74-CD9C-4701-A0C9-A4ABCE2011C4.jpg

New roundabout:

RoundaboutNew.jpg

This can't cost more than a few thousand dollars.  Can we please make this happen at the very least?

I think it just needs landscaping. The solution with the new light pole is, to me, still ugly. A nice mixture of tall grasses with something for color...

I think it just needs landscaping. The solution with the new light pole is, to me, still ugly. A nice mixture of tall grasses with something for color...

A lot of drivers get nervous at roundabouts, so tall grasses might hide cars and make the traffic pattern worse.  Personally, I think that roundabout would look just fine if they simply removed the lightpole and had nothing in the middle of it.  Maybe a small floral garden for color, but nothing tall or distracting.

I'm still more bothered by the traffic lights dangling from ordinary wires throughout the Banks, as opposed to the fixed post traffic lights throughout the rest of downtown. It looks unbelievably tacky, particularly at the Freedom Way/Main Street intersection directly in front of Holy Grail and the ballpark.

Traffic lights swinging from wires don't belong downtown.

That’s a cop out. Roundabouts can be a focal point. I’m partial to the ones I’ve experience in AZ.

Sedona

Sedona3.jpg

Scottsdale

scottsdale_az_96th_cholla_.JPEG

Just found this roundabout proposal.

AssetFactory.aspx?vid=82696