Sign in to follow this  
Guest ks5214

University of Dayton Flyers Athletics Discussion

NIT: Johnson leads Dayton to final

Wednesday,  March 31, 2010 - 2:51 AM

ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK - Brookhaven grad Chris Johnson scored 22 points, including five key free throws down the stretch, and Dayton held off Mississippi 68-63 in an NIT semifinal last night.  Marcus Johnson added 12 points for the Flyers (24-12), who slowed Mississippi's high-scoring offense and advanced to the championship game for the first time since winning their second NIT title in 1968.

Next up, Dayton has a chance to end a disappointing season on a high note.  Picked before the season to win the Atlantic 10 Conference, the third-seeded Flyers will play Thursday against North Carolina.  The Tar Heels, last year's NCAA Tournament champions, won the other semifinal 68-67 in overtime.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/03/31/johnson-leads-dayton-to-final.html?sid=101

NIT CHAMPIONSHIP | DAYTON 79 - NORTH CAROLINA 68

Flyers shine with fine finish

Winning a title atones for disappointing regular season

Friday,  April 2, 2010 - 2:51 AM

By Mike Fitzpatrick, Associated Press

NEW YORK - Dayton players danced at midcourt and then lingered on ladders as they cut down the nets in Madison Square Garden.  Forgive these Flyers for taking a little extra time to soak it all in.  They're not as accustomed to trophy ceremonies as the North Carolina team they had just defeated.

Marcus Johnson scored 20 points and Dayton denied last year's national champions another title, topping the Tar Heels 79-68 last night to win the NIT.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/04/02/flyers-shine-with-fine-finish.html?sid=101

^There were two HUGE dunks by UD players in that game.  Both made the Sportcenter Top 10.  I'll post the youtube videos if I remember when I get home.

On 3/17/2014 at 7:04 PM, tedders55 said:

OSU plays Dayton in the first round of the tourney.  The Dayton players were pretty amp'ed up about drawing OSU, game is one of the first on Thursday, 12:15 in Buffalo.

I'm biased, being a UD grad, but think UD can beat OSU.  Beating Syracuse will be another matter.

^ UD grad tedders55 posted in the OSU basketball thread, but since there is a Dayton Flyers thread I thought I'd copy it here.

Congrats to the Flyers.  Some interesting cross pollination between UD and OSU: UD's head coach was once an assistant for Thad Matta at OSU; and UD's leading scorer is Jordan Sibert, who transferred to Dayton after two seasons at OSU.

The Flyer's almost got Craft'ed.  Seemed like that kid couldn't miss down the stretch.  Good on Dayton getting the win against OSU, but they could have locked that game up and kept my blood pressure down.

Onto the Orange!

What a great run and no shame in how it ended.  UD will lose Oliver and Kavanaugh, but I like their chances to make some noise again next year with Pierre and Sibert returning.  As long as Miller sticks around, this program will be competitive and fun to watch.  It's been a long time coming.

^Not surprised by the result.  Dayton played very poorly over the last month of the season and it continued in the tournament game.  I was surprised they were seeded as high as they were given their lackluster performances of late. 

Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new head coach

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19001709/archie-miller-coach-indiana-hoosiers

Miller, 38, guided the Flyers to a 24-8 record and the school's first outright Atlantic 10 Conference regular-season title this year.  He has spent the past six seasons with the Flyers and led the program to the NCAA tournament each of the last four years.

UD names new men's basketball coach

The University of Dayton has named a men's basketball coach to replace Archie Miller.

The school announced Thursday it has hired Anthony Grant for the position. Grant was recently on the staff of the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder and has also spent nine seasons as head coach at the University of Alabama and Virginia Commonwealth University, with another 13 years as an assistant coach.

More below:

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2017/03/30/ud-names-new-mens-basketball-coach.html

ua-vs-ou-110813-061*480xx2000-2667-0-0.jpg

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

If you haven't been following the Dayton Flyers in the Maui Invitational this week, you should have.

Dayton topped Georgia by 19 on Monday and topped Virginia Tech by 27 on Tuesday.  Then they took #4 ranked Kansas to OT before the Jayhawks won today.  But although the Flyers fell just short of the Maui Invitational title, their leading scorer - sophomore 6'-9" forward Obi Toppin - won the night with a step back three and a stare down of the Kansas bench, while the ball was still in the air(!)

During the ESPN broadcast, the announcers said Obi Toppin is a projected first-round pick in the next NBA draft (currently ranked 24th).

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/for-dayton-flyers-colorado-last-big-test-non-conference-schedule/1VqSr1DXUmgPZa98NY24CM/

The #13-ranked 9-1 Flyers faced the 9-2 Colorado Buffaloes last night in the Chicago Classic.  Colorado won it with a buzzer-beating 3 to edge Dayton 78-76 in OT.

Both of Dayton's losses have been in overtime - first to #4 Kansas and now to a Colorado team that might be ranked in the Top 25 next week.

This week's #13 ranking for Dayton is the highest they've been ranked since December 1968 - when they were 6th in the AP.